Nagaraj H
Senior Oracle Database Administrator at Refinitiv
A reasonably-priced and stable platform for transitioning our customers from on-premises to the cloud

• "The most valuable feature is that it is simple."
  • "They can launch the Oracle service in Azure, and we expect that this should be possible in Amazon AWS as well."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to migrate our customers into the cloud, integrating all of their applications.

In my previous organization, we moved some customers from on-premises to the cloud, and they are happy with the change.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is simple. We don't use complex services for our small business customers.

What needs improvement?

When it was only Amazon AWS in the market, no one was concerned about the pricing. However, now that there are so many competitors, there is more comparison for cloud service providers. They should look into reducing the price of this solution to stay competitive. It would be a benefit.

The current trend is multi-cloud. They can launch the Oracle service in Azure, and we expect that this should be possible in Amazon AWS as well.

I would like to see better integration between Oracle and AWS.

I have been using Amazon AWS for two years.

Amazon AWS is stable and we have not faced any issues.

It's a scalable solution.

We have not used technical support. We provide that to our customers.

The initial setup is easy.

Deployment is not a problem for us because we have experience. For new people, they are a bit worried about new features, until they develop a routine.

The Oracle licensing is higher than it is with Amazon AWS.

What other advice do I have?

The deployment varies, as some of our customers would like the hybrid cloud while others want a public cloud.

I have recommended this product to our customers and will continue to do so.

Rajat_Gupta
Information Security Officer at GlobalSign
Do not need to maintain hardware on-premises and can have full control over the infrastructure

• "The main reason why we use EC2 is because we are not dependent on maintaining the hardware inside our premises. Also, we have full control over the infrastructure, and we can modify it as per our own requirements."
  • "Monitoring still needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a product cocktail service company, and we deliver identity-based solutions that customers can subscribe to. The back-end infrastructure is hosted in AWS.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us by saving money. Having a physical server on our premises is, of course, quite expensive as compared to building an EC2 instance in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

We use AWS in-built services like EC2, ECS, Lambda services, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, etc. AWS is a very big platform that provides a lot of services.

The main reason why we use EC2 is because we are not dependent on maintaining the hardware inside our premises. Also, we have full control over the infrastructure, and we can modify it as per our own requirements.

It is stable and scalable as well.

Installation is quite easy.

What needs improvement?

Monitoring still needs to be improved.

Better support for Windows Operating Systems would be appreciated. It is good for Linux but needs to improve for Windows.

I've been dealing with Amazon AWS for more than four years now.

We are experiencing 99.9% uptime already, so we have had no issues with stability.

It is scalable. We have configured our Auto Scaling options there, which enables us to install as the requirements increase. It auto scales the server.

Technical support is okay. I will not rate it too high, but I think it might be because it is part of a basic plan. We do not have the enterprise support plan.

You don't require much technical expertise to have an instance, so the initial setup is quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Amazon AWS at nine.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Muhammad-Junaid
Consultant at Skill Orbit
Feature-rich, stable, and it is easy to expand our service offering

• "The most valuable features are load balancers, databases, and S3 buckets."
  • "There are some limitations for certain applications that happen regionally and it is an issue for us."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we use this solution to host applications for our customers. Their use cases are related to legal and advisory matters.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are load balancers, databases, and S3 buckets.

What needs improvement?

I have found some problems related to the database.

The price of this solution could be reduced to make it more competitive.

There are some limitations for certain applications that happen regionally and it is an issue for us. If we work with an application that is set up in New York, for example, then it has to be able to work in Pakistan.

I have been using Amazon AWS for between six and eight months.

We have not experienced any issues in terms of stability.

Scalability is not a problem. We are currently extending our use of Amazon AWS and have acquired a partnership with them. With this, we are creating a cloud department for which we will offer Amazon Web Services.

I did not have to call technical support.

Our deployment took between five and ten months.

I find that Amazon AWS is expensive.

I recently evaluated the Oracle Cloud Platform, and I find that Amazon is more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is researching AWS is to consider their budget. If the budget is available then it is a good choice, whereas, for those who want to spend less, I would suggest using Oracle instead.

Eric Sousa
Head of Data Projects at Cognitivo
An on-demand cloud computing platform that has a lot of specific solutions for different use cases

• "I like that the products are specific and objective. We can resolve a problem using a simple configuration. It's so easy to implement a solution and solve a problem using AWS solutions. AWS has a lot of specific solutions for different use cases. I think that this is the most important thing that made us consider using AWS."
  • "It would be better if there was a way to see which components were still on. We have some situations where I forget that some components are turned on. We forget some components are on, and we only see that these components are on when we see the bill at the end of the month. It would also be better if AWS had specialized firewalls or integrations with leading products. For example, a specialized firewall with content filtering. We were looking for some firewall tools, and we saw that AWS doesn't have any specialized firewall tools in its services portfolio. So, we are looking for other tools like FortKnox, Forcepoint, and Check Point because we didn't find the solutions in AWS services."

What is our primary use case?

We usually use Amazon AWS to implement data lake solutions. We extract data from an AWS project that we implement, or we extract data from databases and centralize them with AWS components in AWS services. So, we create an infrastructure for our clients to consume their data. I like the components we use, like Amazon DMS or Database Migration Services, F3, and Amazon Athena. I think that these are the main components or the main services that we use.

What is most valuable?

I like that the products are specific and objective. We can resolve a problem using a simple configuration. It's so easy to implement a solution and solve a problem using AWS solutions. AWS has a lot of specific solutions for different use cases. I think that this is the most important thing that made us consider using AWS.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if there was a way to see which components were still on. We have some situations where I forget that some components are turned on. We forget some components are on, and we only see that these components are on when we see the bill at the end of the month.

It would also be better if AWS had specialized firewalls or integrations with leading products. For example, a specialized firewall with content filtering. We were looking for some firewall tools, and we saw that AWS doesn't have any specialized firewall tools in its services portfolio. So, we are looking for other tools like FortKnox, Forcepoint, and Check Point because we didn't find the solutions in AWS services.

I have been using Amazon AWS for about three years.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon AWS a nine.

Ariful Mondal
Consulting Practice Partner - Data, Analytics & Artificial Intelligence at Wipro Ltd
ExpertModerator
Great cloud platform with scalability a key feature

• "Great scalability."
  • "Could be more user friendly and include additional applications."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for all modern application development and data-led processes as well as for building architecture, AWS Lambda and more scalable solutions for our clients on AWS cloud. I'm a practice partner of data analytics and AI.

What is most valuable?

This is a great cloud platform and scalability is an outstanding feature. It's very useful.

What needs improvement?

I think the solution could be more user-friendly, like Microsoft products. They could include a lot more applications and make free resources available. I'd like to see more code application within AWS to build modern and good applications. A lot of cases we deal with need to write a lot of code in AWS and it would be helpful if there were designer functionalities.

I've been using this solution for six years.

This is a very scalable solution. Most of the enterprises use AWS today, it's the number one cloud provider today.

AWS technical support is good. They have a partner that provides us with technical support. It's managed either by AWS or by partner support, and it's good.

Because the solution is on cloud, there's no real installation. You download to the cloud and login. When it comes to infrastructure positioning you need to have different teams. It requires some infrastructure support but it's fully managed by AWS. We plan to increase usage.

Licensing options are either a monthly pay for use option or a contract option.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution.

I rate this product a nine out of 10.

Sergio Zuastegui
Gerente regional de tecnología at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Scales well and expands easily and offers good configuration

• "The scalability of the product is the solution's most valuable feature."
  • "The technical support should be better than what is on offer right now."

What is our primary use case?

We are running everything on the cloud. That's our primary use case. All the servers we are using are on AWS. The only thing we have on SAP's cloud is the analytics part. Everything else is running on AWS.

What is most valuable?

The scalability of the product is the solution's most valuable feature. It expands very, very easily.

I don't have any complaints about the configuration capabilities or the interface.

The pricing seems to be good.

What needs improvement?

The technical support should be better than what is on offer right now.

I've used the solution for a while now. It's been about four years in total, from what I recall.

The solution scales very well. If a company needs to expand it, it's very easy to do. It's one of the solution's most striking features.

The support could be better. It's an aspect of the solution that isn't as good as everything else. We aren't satisfied. They need to be more helpful and responsive.

We also use SAP. In terms of SAP, I'm running all my servers on this IP at this moment. We have our development, our quality, and also production sites on it.

We can't complain about the pricing. So far, it doesn't seem to be too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Amazon.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. We've been very, very happy with the capabilities we've been able to experience so far.

CF
Cloud Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
A robust cloud solution that's intuitive, user-friendly, and cost-effective

• "Amazon AWS is user-friendly and intuitive."
  • "The pricing structure can be improved and made more straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

There are different use cases. I have worked on backup and recovery, migrations, created new user accounts from scratch, security and compliance, PCI DSS compliance, and CIS benchmark compliance.

How has it helped my organization?

We are dependent on AWS 100%, and it has definitely improved our organization.

What is most valuable?

It isn't easy to choose a feature as it all depends. For example, there might be a feature for a specific use case. Amazon has many use cases and many deployment types. But overall, Amazon AWS is user-friendly and intuitive. It's also quite secure. The interface is okay and integrates well with other products.

What needs improvement?

The pricing structure can be improved and made more straightforward. There are so many options, and you have to make several choices before confirming the final cost.

I have used Amazon AWS for about four years.

AWS is the most scalable and reliable cloud computing solution out there.

Tech support is amazing.

The initial setup for Amazon AWS is straightforward.

Amazon AWS is really cost-effective. But the number of choices that you have to make can make the pricing very difficult. You have so many options, so it can be quite difficult to get into pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential AWS customers to get the right training for the right solution. The training is, for the most part, pretty easy. It's easier than having a private data center.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon AWS a ten.

AshokPolapragada
Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
An on-demand cloud computing platform with a useful storage feature, but the price could be better

• "I like the storage, all the codes like Lambda and Amazon EMR."
  • "The price could be better."

What is most valuable?

I like the storage, all the codes like Lambda and Amazon EMR.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better.

I have been working with Amazon AWS for seven to eight years.

Amazon AWS is a stable solution.

Amazon AWS is scalable. Scalability has been good for us.

I didn't take part in the initial setup on a very hands-on level. However, I hear from my architects and the development team that it's straightforward.

It could be cheaper, and Amazon could also be more transparent with its pricing. I would first expect any product vendor to give me the utmost transparency on pricing information. There shouldn't be any hidden costs.

Their service offerings have a bit of segmentation, and they focus more on SMBs. They brought them onto the cloud and encouraged them to use solutions on the cloud. But strategically, they should probably improve that and offer some credits.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential users to use Azure if they want more stability, but I always warn about the costs. That's why I don't bring infrastructure to the business, and I find the customers with their own environment. There are multiple portions, and it's not straightforward for anybody to do. That's the bad side of it, but anybody can prepare.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon AWS a seven.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.