Amazon AWS Overview

Amazon AWS is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Infrastructure as a Service Clouds. It is most often compared to OpenShift: Amazon AWS vs OpenShift

What is Amazon AWS?

Amazon Web Services (AWS), is a collection of cloud computing services, also called web services, that make up a cloud-computing platform offered by Amazon.com. These services operate from 12 geographical regions across the world. The most central and well-known of these services arguably include Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud, also known as "EC2", and Amazon Simple Storage Service, also known as "S3". Amazon markets AWS as a service to provide large computing capacity more quickly and more cheaply than a client company building an actual physical server farm.

Amazon AWS is also known as EC2, Amazon Web Services, AWS.

Amazon AWS Buyer's Guide

Download the Amazon AWS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Amazon AWS Customers

Pinterest, General Electric, Pfizer, Netflix, and Nasdaq.

Amazon AWS Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Lead Cyber Security and Hybrid Cloud Engineer at The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
A secure solution for commercial data analytics and storage

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is commercial cloud computing, analytics, and storage.

How has it helped my organization?

We have seen an improvement in our infrastructure, as the code makes it very easy to deploy quickly to AWS.

What is most valuable?

The features that we have found most valuable are IAM, KMS, and Security Groups for customizable security. Cloud formation for well-defined blueprints is also useful.

What needs improvement?

An easier way to determine estimated costs quickly would be helpful.

Three to five years.
Vendor Management | Business Development at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Optimizes our customer's TCO, They can scale up and out at any time.

What is our primary use case?

I use this product for hosting business applications like SAP on the AWS infrastructure. We have some new customers in Egypt and out of Egypt. This solution is magnificent.

• "Their technical support is really good. I am very satisfied."
  • "There's not much room for improvement but that being said, they can improve the overall process of the overall product features and backend."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a 9.5 out of ten. It's the leader in the public cloud and a leader in the market. I would recommend it to any customer using another solution. I would offer it as an alternative to another similar solution like IBM, Google and Azure.
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
502,104 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Cloud Expert | DevOps | Oracle Consultant at confidential
It provides full IaaS and PaaS for any company with a perfect price

What is our primary use case?

Hands-on experience with more than five implementation projects, working on different projects that are related to cloud with different vendors. AWS features exist to make your life easier.

What other advice do I have?

None
Founder at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Pay-as-you-go allows us to scale up as needed, giving us a lot of agility in our IT

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is that we run all our IT on it. The performance has been okay so far.

• "With the pay-as-you-go model, we don't have to predict future IT needs. We can just scale up as we want. That helps with a lot of agility in deploying stuff in our IT infrastructure."
  • "They release new solutions almost every quarter and you don't get that kind of innovation from an enterprise company."
  • "The AWS documentation is written in a way that is not very intuitive. That's an area they can improve."

What other advice do I have?

Look for what is required to deploy the apps in your particular organization. For example, if it's AI-driven then probably Google is a better cloud to go after. If there are a lot of Microsoft applications or if developers or the IT staff were trained in Microsoft software, then Microsoft Azure is a better fit. I would rate AWS an eight out of 10 because it helps companies get started fast.
RR
Co-Founder & Chief Evangelist at WonderLend Hubs
User

What is our primary use case?

IaaS, PaaS, and a wide range of AWS services, including Aurora Postgre. We use this for two solutions that we provide to our clients. Channel Management automation Digital Lending Hub

How has it helped my organization?

We are an ISV. AWS helped us to dramatically transform our business model into a cloud based subscription service.

What is most valuable?

RDS (Relational database service), specifically Aurora. It offers durability, high availability, fault tolerance, and a high TCO benefit.

What needs improvement?

The rate of new services and features released by AWS has dramatically accelerated. AWS should provide even more support and engagement to accelerate adoption.

More than five years.
Analyst at 1980
This solution features ease of use and market adaptability

What is our primary use case?

This tool is indispensable, and must be taken into account when designing. It is the best platform on the market today.

• "This solution features ease of use and market adaptability."
  • "The cutting-edge design is valuable."
  • "The use of this tool should be extended to Google and Apple operating systems."

What other advice do I have?

It is a platform of high quality and commercial versatility. It is of the best that exist in the market.
JC
User at Ti Consultores SAS
User
IaaS with easy management and rapid implementation using Python Django Mezzanine

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is a corporate web page with e-payment eCommerce and personalized functions for digital marketing and other functions.

How has it helped my organization?

Rapid implementation using tools that I specifically know: Python Django Mezzanine and several other libraries are compatible with these technologies.

What is most valuable?

IaaS with easy management, but training is required in a more personalized way. There should be required free training from the vendor and more personalized.

What needs improvement?

More complete, specific training for many of the technologies, specifically with Python Django and the CMS (Mezzanine).

Less than one year.
President at Advanced Computation and Storage LLC
User
Overpriced solution which we use to run small instances for our back office applications

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to use the solution for running many relatively small instances for back office applications and various other business important applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It did not improve our organization.

What is most valuable?

There are no particular 'features' which stand out.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be adjusted to provide more advantages versus current on-premise solutions for business applications.

AWS is much too expensive compared to current on-premises solution for this type of work. AWS IaaS is a very generic service, which is extremely overpriced.
Senior TV and Media Consultant at Ericsson
A cheap alternative to having to build your own labs. Needs more transparency on what is persistent towards novice users.

What is our primary use case?

Web server hosting of a simple LAMP setup using Linux, Apache, and MySQL. Quick, cheap proof of concept solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

No need for an on-premise infrastructure. It provides immediate access to vast resources at a relatively low cost and allows for setting up cheap PoCs.

What is most valuable?

For testing, it is a cheap alternative to having to build your own labs.  Provisioning and resource administration include billing dashboards, which are very extensive.

What needs improvement?

Not enough experience to really comment on this.  In some areas, more transparency on what is persistent towards novice users.

Trial/evaluations only.
I help CTOs/Managed Service Providers save 7%-55% on AWS bills with AI. at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Much faster than other solutions at a super low cost

What is our primary use case?

In recent years, we have use AWS primarily for its serverless capabilities. It has the ability to scale up from one to 10,000 vCPUs for a few brief seconds. The vCPUs perform intensive calculations with deep learning (artificial intelligence calculations), which is not possible via traditional computing approaches.

• "Some of the introduced one-year and three-year reservations helped us reduce costs early on. With time, we learned how to minimize our at REST capacity, allowing us to scale up and scale down in near seconds."
  • "Serverless computing: This can be more cost-efficient just regarding computing resources than renting or purchasing a fixed quantity of servers, which involves periods of underutilization or nonuse."
  • "They are mainly generalists without access to the operating system. As such, they can provide container level insights,not necessarily at the application level."
  • "Somehow Amazon associated their marketplace as a place to find images of various installs (preconfigured software) and was late in the game enabling and promoting SaaS-based solutions. Thus, the AWS marketplace has near zero awareness in the mind of the prospect to find solutions to various problems plaguing them."
Network & Server Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
We can spin up the server anytime and have root access to it

What is our primary use case?

We hosted our website in the Amazon AWS. This is very easy to use and the user-friendly dashboard.

• "We can spin up the server anytime and have root access to it."
  • "We can easily upgrade and downgrade the Instance."
  • "It has the technical support features, but they need to be improved. It has lots of users, but they need to be managed accordingly."
Founder with 51-200 employees
Accessing apps on AWS via my iPhone is awful. We use it, because it improves the speed for us to access vendors.

What is our primary use case?

To access systems of partner/vendor companies, we maintain an instance to transfer data to our instance, then privately back to us. Basically, a BRAS, B-RAS or BBRAS device.

• "It improves the speed for us to access vendors."
  • "Accessing apps on AWS via my iPhone is awful."
  • "AWS for API, or Seller Central, is no improvement from what we had (our internal tools we designed to update accounts, change customer network profiles, monitoring, MRTG graphs, etc), when AWS should be blazing."

What other advice do I have?

I have pushed clients towards Microsoft Azure. I have bugged Microsoft to add links to their network in the BNA region, BNA to Atlanta (additional link), BNA to MCI aka Kansas City, BNA to Chicago, BNA to WDC, and BNA to Dallas, TX to improve access for things at BNA. It is not critical. It is just the only facility that is 30ms slower than others. Azure in Chicago, Wyoming, Bellevue, Silicon Valley, Los Angeles, or Texas is very low latency. I have also pushed clients to IBM Bluemix, as their partnership with Akamai makes API access is really fast. Azure with Verizon CDN/Terremark is…
AWS Cloud Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Migrate complex environments to AWS Cloud to reduce costs, improve performance and scalability

What is most valuable?

AWS's innovations are incredible.

How has it helped my organization?

You can migrate complex environments to AWS Cloud reducing costs, improving performance and scalability.

I have used AWS for five years.

Yes, every platform has problems, but they are very fast at solving the problems.

Yes, every platform has problems, but they are very fast and they are always working to improve.

No, I never encountered any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Their priority is the customers. Technical…
Director of IT Projects - AngularJS developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Makes Maintenance And Creation Of New Clone Environments Easier

What other advice do I have?

Think "serverless". With AWS you can design your architecture, thinking distinct and oriented to events, decoupling processes, solving possible errors, multi-region or Multi-AZ.
Architecte solutions Amazon Web Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Terms Of Licencing And Reserved Instances Are Very Efficient

What other advice do I have?

The Cloud Adoption Framework and the Well-Architected on AWS documents are a must read.
Cloud Architect at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy provisioning means quick time to market when a new environment is required

What other advice do I have?

Migrate to AWS for speed and agility, combined with its security features.
Analista de Projetos at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
It has helped our engineers to improve our performance both financially and in terms of traffic generated

What other advice do I have?

Pay attention especially to costs.
Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Accelerates innovation through experimentation cycles in a scalable platform

What other advice do I have?

Test drive it with prototype applications, reproduce development and testing environments, and standardize your stacks to be able to move them easily, if needed. The deeper that the infrastructure-as-code approach is part of your culture, the easier it will be to leverage hybrid opportunities and gain agility. This solution has been consistently in the top of the IaaS market for the last 10 years.
Software Architect / Senior Software Engineer / AWS Cloud Architect / Azure Cloud Architect / DevOps Engineer at a tech services company
Stable and fast cloud provider.

• "I generally don't like the user experience of Amazon. It's not the best."

What other advice do I have?

AWS has great how-to documents and videos. You can use these materials. We are here to help them whatever they need on their cloud migration/usage. They can find detailed information from http://calico-technologies.co.... or they can send an email to info@calico-technologies.co.uk or to me.
    COO - Chief Operating Officer
    The elastic feature allows us to not worry about rising or declining demand.

What other advice do I have?

Using this product has encouraged me to broaden my knowledge of the products offered by AWS.
    Cloud Architect, Oracle ACE, Oracle DBA at Pythian
    MSP
    For many of Pythian's clients, this solution is an amalgmation of on-premis and the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

Having your database on RDS doesn't mean that you don't need DBA anymore. Mission critical and important databases must be handled by a DBA, even if the database resides on the cloud like RDS.
    COO at a tech vendor
    The main reason to move from hosted bare metal was flexibility adding storage on demand. Cloud storage based on S3 is one the most valuable services we have deployed.

• "The cloud storage based on S3 is one the most valuable services we have deployed since it allows us infinite scale in storage and extremely high durability."
    • "There was some new learning in terms of IOPS on the EBS storage. The concept of burstable IOPS was new and we did have a few outages when we ran out of IOPS."

What other advice do I have?

There can be a tendency to get excited by all the options available. We advise to start small and focus on the services which solve your core problems. In fact this is the very strength of the AWS cloud platform; easy and rapid experimentation, start small and scale on demand. The flexibility and malleability of the cloud platform has been an all new experience for us.
    Senior Technical Support Analyst at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    Some of the valuable features are EC2, RDS, and Route 53.

What other advice do I have?

You have to be able to not think as if on-premises systems are sitting in a data centre. Everything, and I mean everything, is a service that is launched by a script. We are able to run up a platform, say UAT, entirely in about an hour. The plan will be to do this entirely by scripts.
    Full Stack Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Manages ELB with less configuration from the users' side.

What other advice do I have?

AWS is good for any kind of requirements.
    Sr. Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    CloudWatch provides many plugins to manage various types of logs centrally.

What other advice do I have?

When your division grows to a certain scale and you really need DevOps, then you could move either to a private/public cloud. Otherwise, it is a waste of time and money.
    IT Solution Architect at SEARCHING
    Provides storage solutions and infrastructure for deploying Java and PHP based applications.

• "It has helped reduce the cost by rationing the computing power and paying only on a per usage basis, instead of provisioning unneeded, idle, or unutilized computing power that is used only at 20% of its capacity or time."
    • "Many of our clients prefer in-house cloud rather than the application data sitting in the infrastructure owned and managed by Amazon."

What other advice do I have?

It depends upon the requirements and the regulatory compliance issues of the customer. For small to medium customers, AWS is a good choice. For Java, PHP based applications, AWS is a good choice. If you need to have your own private, in-house cloud, there are other options.
    Info Sec Consultant at Size 41 Digital
    ExpertTop 5
    It is more stable than any infrastructure you will have in your own server room. The only problems I had with deployment were with Amazon authorizing our account initially.

• "Cloud Trail API log storage."
    • "It can be daunting because of the number of AWS products there are."
    Owner at a tech vendor
    You can set up buckets and upload files using the console.

What other advice do I have?

There are a plethora of options, but it certainly should be given primary consideration.
    Google Cloud Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    MSP
    We use this tool to adopt a cloud strategy.

• "Elasticity has always been AWS's mandate. The flexibility of their platform from a systems perspective lives up to its claims."
    • "The networking models used in AWS, while functional, do have room for improvement. This is especially the fact, considering that they are built/presented from a systems perspective."

What other advice do I have?

Picking a cloud platform is not a process that should be taken for granted. The leading cloud service providers today each have their pros and cons. It's best that you assess your options, and start with the cloud platform that best suits your needs. After that, your next step would be to start considering a multi-cloud strategy.
    System Developer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    The EC2 Container Service is one of the most valuable features.
    Independent Analyst and Advisory Consultant at Server StorageIO - www.storageio.com
    Cloud conversations: Gaining cloud confidence from insights into AWS outages
    PART I In case you missed it, there were some public cloud outages during the recent Christmas 2012-holiday season. One incident involved Microsoft Xbox (view the Microsoft Azure status dashboard here) users were impacted, and the other was another Amazon Web Services (AWS) incident. Microsoft and AWS are not alone, most if not all cloud services have had some type of incident and have gone on to improve from those outages. Google has had issues with different applications and services including some in December 2012 along with a Gmail incident that received covered back in 2011. For those interested, here is a link to the AWS status dashboard and a link to the AWS December 24 2012 incident postmortem. In the case of the recent AWS incident which affected users such as Netflix, the…
    Amazon cloud storage options enhanced with Glacier
    In case you missed it, Amazon Web Services (AWS) has enhanced their cloud services (Elastic Cloud Compute or EC2) along with storage offerings. These include Relational Database Service (RDS), DynamoDB, Elastic Block Store (EBS), and Simple Storage Service (S3). Enhancements include new functionality along with availability or reliability in the wake of recent events (outages or service disruptions). Earlier this year AWS announced their Cloud Storage Gateway solution that you can read an analysis here. More recently AWS announced provisioned IOPS among other enhancements (see AWS whats new page here). Before announcing Glacier, options for Amazon storage services relied on general purpose S3 or EBS with other Amazon services. S3 has provided users the ability to select different…
    Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    An amazing platform to build on but IAM policies, and cross account access needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be afraid of "The Cloud". As prominent as it is today, a lot of people, and small businesses, are still afraid of storing their data away from their physical office. There are a ton of advantages in using AWS for your infrastructure instead of on-premises equipment. Give it a serious look before dismissing it. There is a lot that can be added here, but that could be an article all on its own.
    EFS is NFS version 4 based however it does not support Windows SMB/CIFS, HDFS or other NAS access protocols.
    Cloud Conversations: AWS EFS Elastic File System (Cloud NAS) First Preview Look Amazon Web Services (AWS) recently announced new Elastic File System (EFS) providing Network File System (NFS) NAS (Network Attached Storage) capabilities for AWS Elastic Cloud Compute (EC2) instances. EFS AWS compliments other AWS storage offerings including Simple Storage Service (S3) along with Elastic Block Storage (EBS), Glacier and Relational Data Services (RDS) among others. Ok, that’s a lot of buzzwords and acronyms so lets break this down a bit. AWS EFS and Cloud Storage, Beyond Buzzword Bingo EC2 – Instances exist in various Availability Zones (AZ’s) in different AWS Regions. Compute instance with various operating systems including Windows and Ubuntu among others that also can be pre-configured…
    Linux administrator with 10,001+ employees
    we have 750 hours of Amazon EC2 Linux t2.micro instance usage, but it's expensive.

Valuable Features:

750 hours of Amazon EC2 Linux t2.micro instance usage (1 GiB of memory and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) -- It's enough hours to run continuously each month.

Improvements to My Organization:

It gives us the time to check.

Room for Improvement:

Charges are high at the moment.
    Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Amazon Web Services: Security Processes in the EC2 Cloud
    Customer trust and confidence is at the heart of Amazon’s business and with so many customers using Amazon’s platforms to run their business securely and efficiently, Amazon has gone to great lengths to operate and manage a comprehensive control environment. The environment supports secure Amazon Web Services cloud web offerings by ensuring that all necessary policies and processes are used in compliance with AWS certifications. Within the last few years Amazon Web Services security has achieved notable certifications which include SAS70 Type II audits, PCI DSS Level 1 which involves meeting Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards, ISO 27001 for Information Security Management Systems, and compliance within the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) to properly serve…
    Practice Manager - Cloud, Automation & DevOps at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It has a massive library of services for you to use in developing cloud-based solutions.
    Originally posted at https://vcdx133.com/2015/06/12/tech101-amazon-web-services As part of my NPX preparation (AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional is one of the recommended qualifications) and my RapidMatter GitHub project (will run from AWS), I have been delving into the world of Amazon Web Services. One statement: “Wow!” I can see why they are the world leader in Public Cloud services. Here is the cool thing, as an Enterprise/Cloud Architect you have a MASSIVE library of services (40+ at time of writing) that you can use to develop Cloud-based solutions for your customers. As you read through the list below, you will see the fundamental building blocks for every solution. By having this service matrix, you do not have to reinvent the wheel; it already exists and…
    Program and Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Popular
    As with all public clouds, there is still a dilemma with security, but provides a rich set of services for IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS.
    AWS is a good platform for non-MySQL, MySQL, and Hadoop databases, but it’s not as good for RDBMS ones like MS SQL. It still has many missing features -- like replication, backup policy, and the ability to store/attach databases from a local drive -- but it has many good features for big data.  Its new AppStream service will pre-process graphics, including 3D renderings, and blast the results to mobile clients. Its Kinesis service for streaming data sets the stage for building big data apps on AWS, the basic architecture for the internet of things. As for its Hadoop capabilities, AWS launched its Elastic MapReduce (EMR) a long time back. It is the best cloud services provider for open source software for databases, operating systems hosting apps, and many other customized applications. As…
    Lambda and other AWS enhancements
    A few weeks ago I attended Amazon Web Service (AWS) re:Invent 2014 in Las Vegas for a few days. For those of you who have not yet attended this event, I recommend adding it to your agenda. If you have interest in compute servers, networking, storage, development tools or management of cloud (public, private, hybrid), virtualization and related topic themes, you should check out AWS re:invent. AWS made several announcements at re:invent including many around development tools, compute and data storage services. One of those to keep an eye on is cloud based Aurora relational database service that complement existing RDS tools. Aurora is positioned as an alternative to traditional SQL based transactional databases commonly found in enterprise environments (e.g. SQL Server among…
    I like the ability for moving S3 objects within AWS, however I will continue to use other tools such as S3motion and s3sfs for moving data in and out of AWS.
    Cloud Conversations: AWS S3 Cross Region Replication storage enhancements Amazon Web Services (AWS) recently among other enhancements announced new Simple Storage Service (S3) cross-region replication of objects from a bucket (e.g. container) in one region to a bucket in another region. AWS also recently enhanced Elastic Block Storage (EBS) increasing maximum performance and size of Provisioned IOPS (SSD) and General Purpose (SSD) volumes. EBS enhancements included ability to store up to 16 TBytes of data in a single volume and do 20,000 input/output operations per second (IOPS). Read more about EBS and other recent AWS server, storage I/O and application enhancements here. The Problem, Issue, Challenge, Opportunity and Need The challenge is being able to move data (e.g. objects)…
    I like the new ability for moving S3 objects within AWS, however I will continue to use other tools for moving data in and out of AWS.
    Salesforce/Amazon/AWS Trainer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    The product is simple and can be learned with online documentation.

What is most valuable?

EC2, EBS, Security, and RDS services are all good.

How has it helped my organization?

Currently I'm using the product for learning purposes.

I have used if for over a year.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Not yet.

Customer Service: Very nice. Technical Support: Very good.

Yes I used Microsoft Azure but it only provides a free trial for one month. This duration is not sufficient to learn cloud services. Hence I switched…
    CTO at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
    The technical support was a 7 on a scale of 1-10, but dynamic usage and flexibility.

What other advice do I have?

Use the AWS pricing calculator to understand how the services fit together.
    Senior Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Great platform to spin up servers in minutes; provides multiple tools for administrators; UI can be puzzling sometimes

Valuable Features

EBS, Availability Zones, VPC, Support for high I/O instances

Customer Service: Could be made much betterTechnical Support: Excellent

Slightly complex because of the user interface which is not simple for first time users
    Architect at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
    Top Reviewer
    We have been able to leverage the agility of Amazon to work faster. AWS's customer service is ridiculously good.

What other advice do I have?

Jump right in and make liberal use of AWS' technical support. Even now, I see people hesitating to ask and trying to figure it out for themselves. AWS is always ready to help. It's both complicated and useful enough that it's very easy to build things in a suboptimal way if you don't think things through and follow their guidance. So get all your hands-on staff to take the training they offer and don't be shy about asking for help. The training is big.
    Architect at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Pay as you go is a plus but I would like to see better technical support without paying for AWS Premium Support
    Use Of Solution: 4 years. Valuable Features: (1) Self-service without upfront cost (2) Pay as you go & continual cost/price reduction  (3) Pervasive service offerings with continual improvement Improvements To Organization: We were developing a sync-and-share cloud service + mobile/desktop application for multimedia products at that time (2009). It saved lots of development & testing efforts compared to traditional IT process. As you know, multimedia files take tons of storage space, IaaS's pay as you go and no upfront cost was a major deciding factor to develop that project/product. Room For Improvement: (1) ELB stress testing is problematic for us at that time. (2) Better technical support for those without paying AWS Premium Support. Stability Issues: I have the vague impression that…
    Amazon Web Services (AWS) and the NetFlix Fix?
    I received the following note from Amazon Web Services (AWS) about an enhancement to their Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) service that can be seen by some as an enhancement to service or perhaps by others after last weeks outages, a fix or addressing a gap in their services. Note for those not aware, you can view current AWS service status portal here. The following is the note I received from AWS. Announcing Multiple IP Addresses for Amazon EC2 Instances in Amazon VPC Dear Amazon EC2 Customer, We are excited to introduce multiple IP addresses for Amazon EC2 instances in Amazon VPC. Instances in a VPC can be assigned one or more private IP addresses, each of which can be associated with its own Elastic IP address. With this feature you can host multiple websites, including SSL…
    CTO at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Great for experimenting with different setups and rolling out solutions effectively but monitoring could be better

What other advice do I have?

Take it slow, there is a learning curve, but you get a return on your time for every hour you invest in learning to use this service.
    Database Expert with 51-200 employees
    Migrating to Amazon RDS
    Having used AWS for a few years, there are numerous ways to get "your data" to the cloud. Usually the simplest is export/import (bias towards Oracle), but this process is usually slow when you start moving large data sets. There is the RMAN backup/recovery manager but this requires you to have the same instance version in the cloud - not good if you want to upgrade at the same time. Datapump is also available and is very useful as you can do Network data Pumps across database links - but again this can sometimes be slow. I then looked into using Amazon's Advanced Data Migration Techniques (published Nov 13 2013) and decided to give it a go and have posted my walk through below (quite technical): http://www.connecteddba.com/howto/MigratetoRDS.htm... This was done from a local "data center"…
    Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Google Compute Engine vs Amazon EC2
    I have been using Amazon EC2 for quite some time now and I absolutely like it. They may not be the cheapest cloud-provider and they still have some things missing, like IPv6. But they are very flexible and offer a lot of features to make it easy scaling up and down when needed. I finally took some time to enroll myself into the Google Cloud. Looking at the Compute Engine it is just like EC2 with all the same bells, whistles and terminology. The only difference I see is the amount of available images that is almost endless on Amazon and only 2 Linux distributions at Google. I am not in need of Windows images, but they seem like a big miss on Google. Pricing structure is also the same, although Amazon has a free tier for 1 year which allows you to try before you buy. Another advantage…
    Owner at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Amazon EC2 monthly price tables for SaaS-relevant configurations, in euros
    EC2 is Amazon’s cloud service for flexible use of virtual machines. One of the big advantages of this service is that Amazon’s hourly prices also include the cost for the Windows and/or SQL Server license. Amazon has just announced lower prices for Windows EC2 instances. It’s not always easy to calculate total monthly costs for various configurations, so in this post I will try to give an indication of montly costs for configurations that would be relevant for SaaS applications with 1,000 – 50,000 customers. Note: In the monthly prices below I have incorporated the upfront costs for 1- and 3-year contracts in the monthly prices (spread out over the full term). All prices are calculated for the EU region (Ireland). Windows web server. No additional storage. Configuration…
    Partner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    AWS: What are the key Amazon Web Services components?
    Over the last couple of years, the popularity of the “cloud computing” has grown dramatically and along with it so has the dominance of Amazon Web Services (AWS) in the market. Unfortunately, AWS doesn’t do a great job of explaining exactly what AWS is, how its pieces work together, or what typical use cases for its components may be. This post is an effort to address this by providing a whip around overview of the key AWS components and how they can be effectively used. Great, so what is AWS? Generally speaking, Amazon Web Services is a loosely coupled collection of “cloud” infrastructure services that allows customers to “rent” computing resources. What this means is that using AWS, you as the client are able to flexibly provision various computing resources on a “pay as you go”…
    Director of IT at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Great platform, but needs a lot of attention.

Valuable Features:

Comprehensive Cloud platform offering, with a huge ecosystem of ISV partners, great selection of pre-built images, and much more!! Pricing cannot be beat, and new features and reduction in price are always in the works.

Room for Improvement:

It is a highly complex product, and requires training and familiarization before use.

Other Advice:

To optimally use this product, invest in training and development projects initially.
    Technical Architect at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Great way to enter into the cloud. Disk performance is generally the issue.
    great way to enter into the cloud. disk performance is generally the issue.
    Developer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A bit pricey cloud service, but with good features, and worth the money.

What other advice do I have?

A good cloud service that takes care of all the back end infrastructure management and administration work off your hands. The pay-as-you-go option is very suitable for most of the organizations. Prices are a bit higher when compared to hosting your service over your own hardware. However, you get the benefits of having your application over a cloud. The auto-scale feature is something worth the money, as you don't have to worry about deploying more servers when there is a high demand during peak times.
    Senior Manager of Data Center at a integrator with 51-200 employees
    Amazon AWS is till dat,e the best IaaS providers on compute, storage, and availability platform

What other advice do I have?

One of the first and extremely professional services launched for the cloud platform is the advent of Amazon AWS. The bundle of services provided by them such as CloudFront, CloudWatch, EC2, Simple Storage service etc undoubtedly cover all the aspects needed by the developers and system administrators to match infrastructure and scalability issues for the growing demands.
    CSO at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Easy, flexible, high-quality

Valuable Features:

Quick to set up, dynamic pricing, very good support.

Room for Improvement:

Pricy for dedicated servers. The base package for fast bandwidth was more than I anticipated paying.

Other Advice:

They have a package where you pay an upfront cost and get locked in for a year, but the monthly cost (or per-hour cost) is much lower. Try this out if you know you'll be with them for at least a year.