Amazon DynamoDB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon DynamoDB is #2 ranked solution in top Managed NoSQL Databases. IT Central Station users give Amazon DynamoDB an average rating of 8 out of 10. Amazon DynamoDB is most commonly compared to Amazon Timestream: Amazon DynamoDB vs Amazon Timestream. The top industry researching this solution is Media Company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Amazon DynamoDB?

Amazon DynamoDB is a fully managed NoSQL database service that provides fast and predictable performance with seamless scalability. You can use Amazon DynamoDB to create a database table that can store and retrieve any amount of data, and serve any level of request traffic. Amazon DynamoDB automatically spreads the data and traffic for the table over a sufficient number of servers to handle the request capacity specified by the customer and the amount of data stored, while maintaining consistent and fast performance.

Amazon DynamoDB Buyer's Guide

Download the Amazon DynamoDB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Amazon DynamoDB Customers

Samsung, Snapchat, Capital One, Expedia, Tinder, Airbnb, Comcast, Lyft, Redfin, Netflix, Adobe

Amazon DynamoDB Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon DynamoDB pricing:
  • "Its subscription cost is lower than similar databases offered by other vendors."

Amazon DynamoDB Reviews

MP
Engineering Intern at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good scalability, low subscription cost, and meets our requirements

• "Its scalability is really good. I can go up to a petabyte of data. It is more of an on-demand use case. I can go from 100 MB to 1 PB if I want, which is very good. Most of the other databases would want you to stick to a specific data allocation. Its subscription cost is lower than similar databases offered by other vendors."
  • "Currently, there is no option for a scheduled refresh in this solution. We want the data to be populated into DynamoDB on a timely basis. Currently, you have to go to the DynamoDB table and hit the refresh button to populate it with the new data. If you have connected DynamoDB to a BI application for creating visualizations with charts, graphs, or other things, you would want it to get updated as per the schedule so that you have updated visualizations in your BI application."

What is our primary use case?

I am currently using it for proof of concept and testing out its capabilities. We are publishing the IoT data on DynamoDB. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its scalability is really good. I can go up to a petabyte of data. It is more of an on-demand use case. I can go from 100 MB to 1 PB if I want, which is very good. Most of the other databases would want you to stick to a specific data allocation.

Its subscription cost is lower than similar databases offered by other vendors.

What needs improvement?

Currently, there is no option for a scheduled refresh in this solution. We want the data to be populated into DynamoDB on a timely basis. Currently, you have to go to the DynamoDB table and hit the refresh button to populate it with the new data. If you have connected DynamoDB to a BI application for creating visualizations with charts, graphs, or other things, you would want it to get updated as per the schedule so that you have updated visualizations in your BI application.

We have been using AWS for close to one and a half years, and we have been using DynamoDB for 45 to 60 days.

It is stable. It is meeting our requirements. In fact, it is way better than what I expected. It is doing more than what I need.

Its scalability is really good. I can go as low as 100 MB and as high as 1 PB.

I didn't run into any issues, so I didn't need any support. The forums and documentation that Amazon provides are pretty much self-explanatory.

We were using another service called Amazon RDS for our data requirements. RDS is not as quick as DynamoDB, but it is not meant to be as quick as DynamoDB. RDS has its own use case, so they are not comparable. They have different use cases. We are switching to DynamoDB because our use case changed.

It is pretty straightforward. It is as simple as it can be. You do need to know what sort of data you have, which is a minimum requirement. After you get that in, everything is very much simple. You don't even need to go through a tutorial. It is that fast.

It is being done in-house, but as our client base grows, we might end up switching to a consultant.

Its subscription cost is lower than similar databases offered by other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution based on the use case. It is pretty straightforward, and we haven't had any major issues. It is just plug-and-play. There is nothing else that you need to do.

I would rate Amazon DynamoDB an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
SS
SDE2
Leaderboard
Can store data as an entire object but needs to improve caching

• "Storing is a valuable feature. We can store as an entire object rather than the traditional structure of the data."
  • "There are some issues like if we missed something or somehow were not able to store the data, then it was quite difficult for us to get back that data."

What is our primary use case?

We use Amazon DynamoDB to store data. We have a hardware device that is continuously reading data. For example, there is a sensor generating weather data every second, and we collect the data after 30 seconds. So, the data is quite huge. We store this data in DynamoDB.

Depending on the client, we show some charts, etc. as well.

What is most valuable?

Storing is a valuable feature. We can store data as an entire object rather than the traditional structure of the data.

Accessing speed is very fast. We have never faced any problems accessing the data.

It is stable, scalable, and easy to install.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues, like if we missed something or somehow were not able to store the data, then it was quite difficult for us to get back that data.

If some data crashed during transmission, then there were no alternate options to recover that packet, to backup, or to re-collect that data for a specific device.

Caching is a problem; it is not there. In DynamoDB, my experience is that it works like a UDP; whatever is lost is gone. There is no other mechanism by which we can re-collect that data.

I would like to see video and audio buffers in DynamoDB.

I used it for around just three months.

It is a stable solution, in my experience.

We currently have 1000 devices.

Every hour, out of 100 devices, around five devices were missing some data packets. It was not very constant as in similar devices but was at random. On average, five devices were missing data every hour.

The DevOps team was raising the tickets with technical support, but we didn't have any problems with the Amazon side.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Deployment and configuration took about a week.

What other advice do I have?

If it is a real-time system, very specific to the domain, it is a great solution. If it is embedded, has huge data, the frequency is quite high to store that data, and the device is in a remote area or there is no connectivity, then this solution is perfect.

However, if the device is connected through the internet, then it's definitely not a good solution. That is, if it is connected to the internet and proper connections are there, then this solution will not be not feasible.

If I were to rate this solution, I would rate it at six on a scale from one to ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon DynamoDB vs. Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB and other solutions. Updated: September 2021.
543,936 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Richard Xu
Principal at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Effective unstructured data handling, easy setup, and reliable

• "One of the most valuable features of Amazon DynamoDB is it can handle unstructured or semi-structured data."
  • "Amazon DynamoDB could improve by being more robust, having a better user interface and data management. Additionally, there is some limited functionality compared to other solutions, such as MongoDB."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Amazon DynamoDB for our company for multiple service database management.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features of Amazon DynamoDB is it can handle unstructured or semi-structured data.

What needs improvement?

Amazon DynamoDB could improve by being more robust, having a better user interface and data management. Additionally, there is some limited functionality compared to other solutions, such as MongoDB.

In an upcoming release, it would be beneficial to show spatial data on the interface. There would is a very important metric for our company.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

I have found the solution to be stable.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support has been good. However, there should be more local support for our company that is international, this would allow for better communication.

We used MongoDB previously and I found it more powerful.

The initial setup is very easy because DynamoDB is from Amazon.

We have evaluated other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend anyone looking to implement any software to understand the needs of their business and do a purpose analysis to determine if the software fits their use case. No matter how good a solution can be if it does not fit the purpose of the business it will not be helpful.

I rate Amazon DynamoDB an eight out of ten.