Amazon DynamoDB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon DynamoDB is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Managed NoSQL Databases. It is most often compared to Amazon Timestream: Amazon DynamoDB vs Amazon Timestream

What is Amazon DynamoDB?

Amazon DynamoDB is a fully managed NoSQL database service that provides fast and predictable performance with seamless scalability. You can use Amazon DynamoDB to create a database table that can store and retrieve any amount of data, and serve any level of request traffic. Amazon DynamoDB automatically spreads the data and traffic for the table over a sufficient number of servers to handle the request capacity specified by the customer and the amount of data stored, while maintaining consistent and fast performance.

Amazon DynamoDB Buyer's Guide

Download the Amazon DynamoDB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Amazon DynamoDB Customers

Samsung, Snapchat, Capital One, Expedia, Tinder, Airbnb, Comcast, Lyft, Redfin, Netflix, Adobe

Amazon DynamoDB Video

Archived Amazon DynamoDB Reviews (more than two years old)

GR
Expert Solution Principal at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A good solution for managing documents that has a good user interface and is very stable

• "The possibility of managing documents is the most valuable aspect of the solution. I like the fact that I don't have to define the fields."
  • "Querying data on the solution is quite limited, but this is like any other NoSQL database. It's the most common criticism of the NoSQL database in general."

What is our primary use case?

We have various use cases for the solution, including using it for IoT, messaging, etc.

What is most valuable?

The possibility of managing documents is the most valuable aspect of the solution. I like the fact that I don't have to define the fields.

Features like the user interface and the pricing of the solution are also good.

What needs improvement?

Querying data on the solution is quite limited, but this is like any other NoSQL database. It's the most common criticism of the NoSQL database in general.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is absolutely stable.

The solution is scalable.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment over DynamoDB services is a few seconds.

I implemented the solution myself.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the public cloud deployment model.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten. I'm quite satisfied with the solution. Querying could always be better, but it's a typical complaint.

it_user654495
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides support for local development. I would like to see a tool to view the items inside the tables.

What is most valuable?

The design approach of DynamoDB makes it very fast and scalable.

We have used most of the features offered by DynamoDB because the product is mature and they fit very well.

They are planning to introduce versioning in the future (http://docs.aws.amazon.com/amazondynamodb/latest/developerguide/DynamoDBMapper.OptimisticLocking.html).

How has it helped my organization?

The application runs much faster and the query response time is three to five times faster when compared to Google Datastore.

The admin console is also very user friendly and provides hands-on features for the development team.

It provides good support for local development.

What needs improvement?

• The documentation could be refined to explain some basic topics better.
  • The local DynamoDB version doesn't come with a tool to view the items inside the tables, so a third-party licensed product is required.
  • An API to make the creation of complex queries with filters, limits, and offsets much easier is something to consider for future releases.
  • Some things must be implemented manually and that takes a lot of time. At the same time, they are offered within the API in other NoSQL solutions.
  • There is room for improvement of how the indexes are handled.
  • An automated tool for increasing and decreasing the read/write capacity based on alarms would be welcomed.

We have been using the product for around six months.

There have been no stability issues. It works very well so far.

The design is based on key-value and offers great scalability and speed.

We have been using paid technical support during the development phase. I would give technical support a rating of 9/10.

They respond very fast and give good solutions, but sometimes they realize that it is a bug in the product and can't tell you when it will be fixed.

We used Google Datastore, but we switched to DynamoDB because we migrated to AWS.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Pricing is more complex than buying a license, so it depends on the products' needs.

We evaluated Microsoft Azure as a cloud solution, but in the end, we decided to go with AWS.

What other advice do I have?

If you want a very fast NoSQL database, and you are willing to do some extra work in order to implement complex queries, DynamoDB is the way to go.

Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon DynamoDB vs. Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB and other solutions. Updated: September 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
We utilize CloudWatch monitoring, the Simple Notification Service, and the VPC solution for VPN connections.

What is most valuable?

We host the cloud version of our software, ENSUR by DocXellent, on EC2 instances with fifteen separate installations currently.

These low-cost, flexible, and scalable VMs are an excellent value for the service they provide.

We also utilize CloudWatch monitoring, the Simple Notification Service, and the VPC solution for VPN connections for us, and for our clients, to these instances.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, our product was exclusively sold as an on-premises solution. Once we decided on AWS for a cloud hosting platform, we were able to increase our sales dramatically. Within less than two years of offering this option, cloud hosted sales now make up more than 50% of our new business.

What needs improvement?

AWS is forward thinking and always adding new features. I generally cannot think of an area of improvement.

To be honest, AWS and their people know way more about the hosting and infrastructure needs of software developers than me and my team. I can’t think of any features that that could additionally add.

If I were to pick on one area to improve and an area in which they are not equal to or superior to the competition, I would say the user interface. It is far more simplistic that Azure’s slick presentation.

Of course, that is by choice, like the Amazon experience. But there are instances where the next step is not as logically presented as in Azure.

I still maintain that AWS is the unquestioned market leader in regards to features offered and is always introducing new ones in response to what their customers ask for.

They also are leaders in price, ease of use, and support, making them the obvious choice for my company’s cloud IaaS provider.

I have used Amazon AWS for three years.

There have been a couple of well-publicized instances of non-availability, but I think overall downtime of a few hours per year is acceptable.

The biggest problem is that everybody knows about downtime because of how public AWS’s failures are with their high-profile customers, who make news with their downtime.

We have had no problems with scalability.

I would give technical support a rating of 10/10. AWS stands for AWesome Support! They know way more about problems than I do and often patiently teach me while solving an issue.

We occasionally use Azure, alongside AWS, because we have a monthly credit from Microsoft. But AWS was first and all our commercial accounts are on AWS.

I was able to setup a prototype of our application by myself in half an hour. Since then, whenever I need to do something new, rather than read a whitepaper, I just call support and they walk me through it. This is part of the support they happily provide AND without griping about me not trying it by myself first.

You don’t need to look anywhere else. AWS is the leader in price and features, so why mess with success.

We evaluated Azure, Google, Rackspace and several smaller, now extinct companies.

Adi Levin
Technical Director at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Leaderboard
It's ease of operation, scalability and predictable performance are valuable features.

What is most valuable?

The ease of operation. It's so easy to scale it up and down. And it delivers predictable performance, as promised.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using DynamoDB in two projects now. One for storing large amounts of file metadata, and one for storing small amounts of session data. The fact that it is so easy to create tables and provision for known throughput saved us a lot of time, especially because we are deploying multiple environments and multiple regions.

What needs improvement?

DynamoDB doesn't provide server-side encryption, so we had to do it manually.

Any replication to other regions requires writing code. It's not so bad, but would be better to get a solution out of the box.

We store some protected patient information in DynamoDB, and in order to keep it HIPAA-compliant, we have to encrypt it at rest. Some services such as S3, Redshift and SQS will do the encryption on the server side, but with DynamoDB, the client application had to do the encryption before writing to the DB, and has to decrypt when reading. This means that we need to manage encryption keys: we need to store then securely and rotate them periodically, which is extra coding and complexity.

As for cross-region replication, AWS offers a way to do this using DynamoDB streams and Lambda, whereas other databases such as postgresql enable to configure replication without coding.

I have used it for one year.

We have not encountered any deployment issues. It's straightforward.

We have not encountered any stability issues, but you should expect to get exceptions when you exceed the provisioned throughput. This is okay and it is by design. You need to handle it by retries with exponential backoff.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

We used PostgreSQL. We switched to DynamoDB for the scalability and ease of deployment and operation.

Initial setup was straightforward.

An in-house team implemented it.

No time wasted on provisioning databases.

Pricing depends on volume and provisioned throughput. When low, the price is extremely low. But for really large amounts of data, it can be expensive. Make sure you keep there only data you really need available fast.

We evaluated Cassandra but chose to abandon it because it was harder to configure correctly and scale.