Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store) is #13 ranked solution in top Public Cloud Storage Services. IT Central Station users give Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store) an average rating of 8 out of 10. Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store) is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure Block Storage:Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store) vs Microsoft Azure Block Storage. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store)?

Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS) provides persistent block level storage volumes for use with Amazon EC2 instances in the AWS Cloud.  Each Amazon EBS volume is automatically replicated within its Availability Zone to protect you from component failure, offering high availability and durability. Amazon EBS volumes offer the consistent and low-latency performance needed to run your workloads. With Amazon EBS, you can scale your usage up or down within minutes – all while paying a low price for only what you provision.

Download the Public Cloud Storage Services Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store) Customers

Bazaar Voice, Crowd Strike, Adobe, Gamevil, Hess, CopperEgg, TotalJobs Group, SuperCell, Dropcam, Unilever

Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store) pricing:
  • "What I want Amazon to do is lower the price."

Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store) Reviews

BL
Business Owner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Robust block-storage service that's easy to use and accessible from anywhere

• "When it comes to valuable features, ease of use would be number one."
  • "I think performance can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Amazon EBS for its different business applications, basic file shares, and database. You could call it a SAN. I'm not sure technologists would call it a SAN, but I do.

How has it helped my organization?

Amazon EBS has made our organization a little more efficient.

What is most valuable?

When it comes to valuable features, ease of use would be number one. Ease of access from anywhere type of thing.

What needs improvement?

I think performance can be improved. It's like feeling latency when you compare apples to apples as far as what you have in a SAN on-site, on-prem versus an EBS volume in the cloud. If you want to get rid of the latency, then that's where these costs start to really add up.

On the onset, it's cheaper to get started. It has every bit of capability and availability you would expect and even more than your own environment. If you're trying to get to the same or a higher level of performance, you have to bite the bullet and pay through the roof.

The ability to administer it, use it, set it up, install it, and operate it is all as easy or easier. You get the flexibility to change, snapshot, and all of the same things you could do with even more capabilities. But if you have to get the same or improve your performance, it gets exponentially more costly.

I have been using Amazon EBS for over three years.

As far as stability, availability, and durability, and all of that, it's basically just about perfect.

Amazon EBS is easy to scale. It's easier than on-prem.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. If you've ever set up LUNs and block storage in the physical world, it's pretty much the same. Just setting up a partition and carving up the LUN, and that's about it.

Amazon EBS is expensive. What I want Amazon to do is lower the price. All the functionality that I could think of and would like to consume is already there. It's just that there's a subset of it that's not affordable to us yet.

What other advice do I have?

We're still using it on-prem, and it's just a matter of migrating to the cloud. The way I look at it, there are about 27 advantages to migrating to the cloud. There are one or two disadvantages, and these disadvantages can be overcome with money.

It's one of those things where we're selective about what's getting moved by measuring it and characterizing it. Then we pick and choose what moves next. There are some tremendous advantages to moving up to the cloud, and that's the reason why we started this effort.

Making sure that the effort would work and would satisfy where we were going was step one. Then step two was taking, picking, and choosing which workloads to move and when to move them. Then deciding if there are workloads that would never move. I'm not sure I think that's the case yet, but it's just a matter of time and budget.

If you are thinking of getting Amazon EBS, I would advise you to characterize your priorities and incrementally measure the outcomes as you move the groupings of workloads over. Make sure that your predictions were the way it worked in reality. Then, measure the new reality, and verify with your users. Check whether the limitations and the disadvantages are acceptable to your users. If they aren't acceptable, then deliver the needed cost increments that would deliver upon that.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon EBS an eight.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Public Cloud Storage Services Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Microsoft, IBM, and more!