Amazon EFS (Elastic File System) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon EFS (Elastic File System) is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Public Cloud Storage Services. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure File Storage: Amazon EFS (Elastic File System) vs Microsoft Azure File Storage

What is Amazon EFS (Elastic File System)?

Amazon Elastic File System (Amazon EFS) provides simple, scalable file storage for use with Amazon EC2 instances in the AWS Cloud. Amazon EFS is easy to use and offers a simple interface that allows you to create and configure file systems quickly and easily. With Amazon EFS, storage capacity is elastic, growing and shrinking automatically as you add and remove files, so your applications have the storage they need, when they need it.

When mounted to Amazon EC2 instances, an Amazon EFS file system provides a standard file system interface and file system access semantics, allowing you to seamlessly integrate Amazon EFS with your existing applications and tools. Multiple Amazon EC2 instances can access an Amazon EFS file system at the same time, allowing Amazon EFS to provide a common data source for workloads and applications running on more than one Amazon EC2 instance.

It’s designed for high availability and durability, and provides performance for a broad spectrum of workloads and applications, including Big Data and analytics, media processing workflows, content management, web serving, and home directories.

Download the Public Cloud Storage Services Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Amazon EFS (Elastic File System) Customers

Arcesium, Atlassian, Seeking Alpha, Zend

Amazon EFS (Elastic File System) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon EFS (Elastic File System) pricing:
  • "It has flexible pricing. You are charged based on your storage."

Amazon EFS (Elastic File System) Reviews

Krishna Rao
Customer Engagement, Presales and GIS Solution Architect at ESRI INDIA
Enables us to predict our storage needs over time and start small and grow as we need

• "We are not that big of a cloud user. We just use it for the storage of our bytes. The most valuable aspect is the storage."
  • "It should be simplified. There are people who don't have cloud experience. It should be storage that we are able to just connect to."

What is our primary use case?

We need our storage to expand based on demand but storage is a bit costly. So we start with a smaller amount and, as we grow, we use EFS on demand. It manages our costs.

We can predict our storage which comes over a period of time. So it is better that we start small and it automatically helps us grow.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It should be simplified. There are people who don't have cloud experience. It should be storage that we are able to just connect to. We help create direct connectors to the cloud storage so we can just connect them like any regular databases. We just connect them then store it.

I have been using Amazon EFS for around two years.

We get some help from the local Amazon team so we don't have any problems with it.

We haven't needed to contact customer support.

We used an integrator for the deployment.

Initially, the cost of storage seems to be small. But customer cost for the storage is really very high and this doesn't work for India. We do not have that kind of economy and we are basic market users. This is really challenging and they should bring it down tremendously. The monthly cost is so high.

Now that social media is so popular, people will definitely need a lot of storage and if it can be brought down, people will be a lot happier to invest. I would suggest offering two terabytes or five terabytes per year for 1,000 rupees. It's a price that's more doable.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. They should look into what Google and other providers are offering.

Marcelo Lucas
Director of IT at Computer Consulting
A fast, stable, and scalable solution with flexible pricing and good elasticity

• "Its elasticity and flexible pricing are the most valuable. For Amazon EFS, you are charged based on the storage. It is also very fast and stable with a very simple and intuitive interface."
  • "It could be better in connecting with Windows Server instances."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a consultant, and I architect solutions for customers by using Amazon EFS in other Amazon products. I am using EFS based on NFS version 4.

I have a customer who is using around 20 Linux servers hosting MySQL databases. Their storage is in Amazon EFS. So, around 20 Linux servers are connecting to Amazon EFS.

How has it helped my organization?

Before Amazon EFS, our customer was using EBS volumes in a unique EC2 instance to serve NFS servers. Now, these EC2 instances are not necessary. The productivity of the customer has improved by around 30% by using Amazon EFS instead of a unique EC2 NFS instance.

What is most valuable?

Its elasticity and flexible pricing are the most valuable. For Amazon EFS, you are charged based on the storage. It is also very fast and stable with a very simple and intuitive interface.

What needs improvement?

It could be better in connecting with Windows Server instances.

I have been working with Amazon EFS for around two years.

Its stability is wonderful. Our customers are very grateful because it has been working successfully in a very much acceptable way.

Its scalability is great. It is very fast. It is almost instantaneous. Our customers are small and medium business companies.

For this project, we did not need support. We didn't use professional or paid support. Amazon's documentation is very rich and helped us during this project.

Our clients didn't know any other solution like this. We, as IT consultant, offered the solution to the clients.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It has flexible pricing. You are charged based on your storage.

What other advice do I have?

It a great scalable and stable solution, but just use Unix or Linux servers on-premises or in the Amazon cloud. I won't recommend using a Network File System to connect to Windows Servers.

I would rate Amazon EFS a nine out of ten.

Download our free Public Cloud Storage Services Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and more!