Amazon QuickSight OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon QuickSight is the #17 ranked solution in our list of top Business Intelligence Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft BI: Amazon QuickSight vs Microsoft BI

What is Amazon QuickSight?

Amazon QuickSight is a fast, cloud-powered business analytics service that makes it easy to build visualizations, perform ad-hoc analysis, and quickly get business insights from your data. Using our cloud-based service you can easily connect to your data, perform advanced analysis, and create stunning visualizations and rich dashboards that can be accessed from any browser or mobile device.

Amazon QuickSight is also known as QuickSight.

Download the Business Intelligence (BI) Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Amazon QuickSight Customers

MLB Advanced Media, Infor, HotelBeds, Gemini, Jivochat, Edmunds.com

Amazon QuickSight Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon QuickSight pricing:
  • "I wouldn't say that it is an expensive product, but to stay competitive they would need to bring down the prices."
  • "It is simpler and cheaper than other solutions."

Amazon QuickSight Reviews

EK
Director of User Experience at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We selected it for scalability reasons but we didn't get that far because of security concerns

What is our primary use case?

We tried to do a proof of concept with QuickSight. Essentially, we were evaluating it for visualization to create charts and graphs to explain the reports that were being generated behind the scenes. Instead of having to go through hundreds of thousands of lines of tables, we just wanted to get a high-level summary and then figure out the areas in which we needed to go deeper. We used its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It didn't. We weren't able to fully implement it due to security concerns.

What needs improvement?

I don't like the fact that we had to implement it using an iframe. To implement it on a website, you have to use an iframe. It would be better if we could call up an API to populate content on the website versus having your alignment iframe. This is because when it is on a separate server, you have to deal with cores.

I also couldn't customize the look and feel to meet the environment in which we were trying to install it. Its initial setup was also not straightforward.

We weren't able to fully implement it due to security concerns. One part of our company is currently implementing Databricks because of security issues with AWS QuickSight.

We tried it for a three month period.

We were selecting it for scalability, but we didn't get that far. Our clients are usually large businesses. They are multi-million dollar government agencies.

I didn't contact them, but I heard that there were some issues with response time, or the answers that they were getting were not quite where they needed to be.

I initially built the solution by using data tables and Databricks. We were initially building out prototypes just to find out what the client wanted and to determine the BI tool to proceed with. At the end of the day, if we had a better developer who was able to easily wire up the Databricks data tables, high charts, and interactivity, it probably would have been the solution. The problem is that when you have a group of data sets, how are users supposed to know which data set they need to incorporate into the build to get the results that they need.

There is some way that QuickSight could do that and say, "Here are all your data sets that you have, and here's the content inside of it, or at least the high-level entities that match." It would be much easier to be able to say, "Hey, I have an entire Data Lake that is full of information, and I want this kind of answer." It should then be able to direct you to the data set that you need to incorporate to get those answers.

I didn't do its initial installation and setup, but I know that it was not straightforward. It could have also been because of the quality of developer we had. It wasn't just a straight plug and play, especially when you have a multiple-tier architecture. It would be great if there was like a line from the CDN that you can just install inside of either NPM or install it on the backend to be able to populate with API on the front end, but we didn't really have the best developers working on that. I know that they had some problems with the implementation, whether because of datasets that were populating it or something else. It wasn't straightforward. Based on their struggles and the fact that they couldn't turn it around in a proof of concept in a day, I would say that it was not easy to implement.

If you took Excel and you knew pivot tables, you could go in and easily create a pivot table out of the Excel data within. Even if you don't understand it, it is pretty straightforward, but QuickSight was not as straightforward.

If it is on an iframe on a separate server and we're trying to employ something that is serverless technology, we have to pay each time they went and tapped the service. So, every call to the server had a cost associated, which can make it quite expensive depending on how much you use. I've dealt with smaller hosts with unlimited bandwidth and unlimited space for 20 hours a month. The prices of AWS, Azure are astronomical. It is kind of frustrating, but it is what it is. It is the industry standard.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to have quality developers and ensure that the security patches had been in place and be mindful of that moving forward so that if there are any security issues, you can call it out before the client calls it out.

I would rate Amazon QuickSight a five out of ten.

Private Cloud
JC
Director of IT Customer Service with 5,001-10,000 employees
Scalable with good self-service analytics but needs better integration capabilities

• "From an analytics perspective, it's really good for self-service analytics."
  • "You can't tell a data story as well in QuickSight as you can on others, especially in TIBCO Spotfire."

What is our primary use case?

We have used it as rapid prototyping for exploring visualizations and analytics with the data. It seems to work quite nicely.

What is most valuable?

Our clients are looking for advice. To the extent that they were on AWS, we pointed them to this rather than using Power BI, which frankly we had an awful experience with. We were comfortable with the AWS stack, everything on AWS, and we pointed them to that for some of their analytics and with us holding their hand. Rather than investing in another product, we found a good cost model there. If you're running on AWS and paying for those services, the whole QuickSight thing was a nominal add-on cost for its services. It's actually pretty efficient.

From an analytics perspective, it's really good for self-service analytics.

What needs improvement?

It's not a Tableau. It's not a TIBCO Spotfire. They could do further integration with some data governance and data cataloging. You can't tell a data story as well in QuickSight as you can on others, especially in TIBCO Spotfire. If they integrated it more with some data cataloging and had some guided analytics where it will walk you through everything, that would be ideal. Most clients don't expect it to do that. That said, once again, it isn't a Tableau. The results are as good as Tableau, and yet, it doesn't, from an engineering perspective, tell the data story or allow a user to be able to access a data catalog that lets you drive how your analytics need to go. I don't if they're working on that, however, that would be a lovely enhancement.

I've used the solution within two years.

The stability has been quite good. I don't believe we've had any major issues with the stability. I can't recall dealing with bugs or glitches and it doesn't seem to crash or freeze.

I haven't really tested the scalability. There's no reason to think it wouldn't, given AWS's general capability.

I'm aware of other solutions. however, rather than licensing Tableau or Power BI, or TIBCO, we found that we needed an introductory analyst tool for our clients that we could help them use. The more sophisticated users are using things like TIBCO on AWS, or Tableau, or Looker. However, with QuickSight, we find it to be really good as an introductory tool for our clients that want to do simple analytics.

The cost of the solution has a minimal cost if users are already on the AWS stack.

There are additional service fees based on the services it consumes. However, the cost is pretty mild.

It's not like it's a few pennies a day. However, it's a per service or CPU and disc storage, and it's mostly CPU. It's a minimal surcharge as you're consuming more services on AWS.

What other advice do I have?

I'm very excited about their product. We were using others, other things for visualization analytics, however, within the AWS stack, it's actually proving to be pretty capable.

It was a whole AWS stack that we're shaping out. Given our partnership with Amazon, they've been pushing a lot of different services and products at us. But the QuickSight was something that was remarkably quick to stand out and recreate some use cases within, for example, Power BI. So we have found that to allow for a really rapid, quickly produced prototype.

I would recommend QuickSight as, if you were a citizen developer, it's very approachable. Learning something like TIBCO or Power BI is a bigger learning curve. What I do like about QuickSight, is that it gives a relative beginner the ability to really start seeing results quickly. I don't think it's a competitor yet for some of the more sophisticated tools. However, if a developer or developer's client was relatively unsophisticated, it's a very smooth and quick place to start.

I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten simply due to the fact that, in its class, it does well, however, in comparison to some other tools, it's not as robust.

Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Tableau, Microsoft and others in Business Intelligence (BI) Tools. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AJ
Quantitative Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, scalable, and has a good user interface, but the pricing could be more competitive

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the user interface."
  • "There could be an end-to-end pipeline for data cleaning as well as presenting it using different visualizations."

What is our primary use case?

I am a technology consulting service provider.

We are system integrators that help my business customers as a system integrator and I use AWS Services on the machine learning and analytics side.

My area of work is mainly on artificial intelligence and machine learning.

I was using Amazon QuickSight to generate contacts and insights.

There are companies that have contact center operations in order to support their customer queries and to do any in-house analytics on the contact center's performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the user interface.

What needs improvement?

QuickSight is gradually adding new features, but it is not as mature as some of the other products on the market such as Tableau or Power BI.

The cost is something that could be improved, it should at least be competitive at least for a year until they get a good hold on the market penetration.

As I have not yet explored the solution to its fullest, It may already have this available, but what I would like to see is better, drag and drop based integration of the data sources into the Amazon QuickSight dashboard, so that you can automatically integrate it with different types of data cleaning tools.

My knowledge is brief, I have only used this solution for two to three days.

We are not using the latest version, it would be two to three months before this.

It's a stable solution.

Amazon Quicksight is scalable.

In our organization, I was the only one who was exploring it.

The installation was easy. Because everything is on the cloud, it's all about integration.

What other advice do I have?

I am planning to use this solution in the future.

I am going to use it by recommending it to my clients where I can suggest that they can explore Amazon QuckSight as one of their options for business intelligence reporting.

If the customer is satisfied with the pricing and other features compared to other products such as Tableau or Power BI, then I would go ahead and start analyzing.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
DR
Quality Assurance Developer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, stable, and cheap, but has limited features and visualizations and doesn't support dynamic refresh

• "Amazon QuickSight can provide insights from the available data. It supports various rule types. We get the options of machine learning and insights, which are not available in other intelligence tools. It is easier to use, more stable, and cheaper than other solutions."
  • "It is a simple tool with limited features. Its visualization set is very limited, and it also has limited functionality. An intelligence tool should not be only for creating reports. Currently, we have to do all computational and mathematical operations outside. We should be able to do such operations in an intelligence tool like this. As an intelligence tool, it should support dynamic refresh. QuickSight currently supports the refresh at a minimum of one hour, and it is not suitable for dynamic dashboards that require frequent refreshes."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a Business Intelligence Developer. I use QuickSight for developing dashboards and reports. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Amazon QuickSight can provide insights from the available data. It supports various rule types. We get the options of machine learning and insights, which are not available in other intelligence tools.

It is easier to use, more stable, and cheaper than other solutions.

What needs improvement?

It is a simple tool with limited features. Its visualization set is very limited, and it also has limited functionality. An intelligence tool should not be only for creating reports. Currently, we have to do all computational and mathematical operations outside. We should be able to do such operations in an intelligence tool like this.

As an intelligence tool, it should support dynamic refresh. QuickSight currently supports the refresh at a minimum of one hour, and it is not suitable for dynamic dashboards that require frequent refreshes.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable.

We are a startup. We have around 100 plus users, and we have just five or six members for maintenance.

Their technical support is quite fast. They are also very supportive.

We started only with QuickSight, but I have experience with Tableau.

Its initial setup is very easy as compared to other solutions. We just connect to QuickSight.

It is simpler and cheaper than other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It is a simple intelligence tool. It is quite simple as compared to other advanced intelligence available in the market. If you are working on real-time applications, such as Robotics and the Internet of Things (IoT), and want dynamic dashboards with frequent refreshes, then QuickSight is not a suitable option.

I would rate Amazon QuickSight a five out of ten based on my experience with other products.

Download our free Business Intelligence (BI) Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Tableau, Microsoft, and more!