Amazon RDS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon RDS is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Database as a Service vendors. It is most often compared to Oracle Database as a Service: Amazon RDS vs Oracle Database as a Service

What is Amazon RDS?

Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) is a web service that makes it easier to set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the cloud. It provides cost-efficient, resizeable capacity for an industry-standard relational database and manages common database administration tasks.

Amazon RDS is also known as RDS.

Amazon RDS Buyer's Guide

Download the Amazon RDS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Amazon RDS Customers

Edmodo

Amazon RDS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon RDS pricing:
  • "By using a combination of Reserve Instances and On-Demand pricing, you can reduce the cost."
  • "The cost of using this solution is similar to that of having your own data center."
  • "The price could be better."
  • "It is less expensive than SQL Server. We pay based on the usage on a monthly basis."

Amazon RDS Software Reviews

Gurudeva Kalledevarpurada B
IT Solution Architect at SEARCHING
Helps to scale your database by providing Read Replicas, reducing transaction time

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is when you have to host your application on the Amazon cloud and your application uses database. Amazon RDS supports the following database engines: Amazon Aurora, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle Database, and SQL Server database. Amazon provides AWS Database Migration Service to migrate your existing databases to the Amazon cloud. It automates many aspects of database management viz hardware provisioning, database set up, database patching, and backups, which frees your database administrator to focus on important tasks. It also saves on the DB licencing costs.

• "It makes it easy to administer the database. It helps to scale your database by providing Read Replicas, which reduce transaction time. It is highly available and durable which helps in disaster recovery and management."
  • "The Amazon RDS engine could provide features for additional databases, such as Db2. It could also provide support for other databases, such as NoSQL databases, DynamoDB, and Apache Cassandra. They could all stay under one hood."

What other advice do I have?

For new/existing customers building new products, such as Ola, Uber, or Swiggy, instead of building their own data center first and launching the product which involves massive costs, AWS offers a better quality solution if they are unsure about whether their product will succeed in the market. They can build the product, start making money, and utilize the pay-as-you-go model. Then, they can scale the product depending on demand utilization. That appears to be the best business case for Amazon Web Services.
Sivashankar Rajaram
AWS Cloud RDS Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
AWS RDS is fully managed service and few manual intervention also automated by scripts.

What is our primary use case?

We have cloud infra and development teams and my job with this solution is to move them to a cloud architecture, so I create a migration plan for Database from on-premises to AWS Cloud , co-ordinate with teams to host the planned RDS solutions and provide support for post cloud hosting challenges for better customer experience.

• "The most valuable feature is that it is a fully managed database, where they handle most of the administrative tasks and leaves the users more time to concentrate on business."
  • "It would be helpful if they made it easier to migrate from an existing on-premises solution to the cloud-based service."

What other advice do I have?

We have reached the stage where all of our critical applications are hosted on-premises, and the rest is hosted with a public cloud provider. We found that at one stage, it was more advantageous to store some of our core data in our own data centers and have the rest managed. My advice for people who are implementing this solution is to keep in mind that they need to redefine their product. It is not just a copy of an on-premises solution. Rather, it is designed with cloud architecture in mind. We use the term Cloud Adaptiveness. This means that before moving, they need to make sure that the…
Learn what your peers think about Amazon RDS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CV
CTO at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Extremely stable and easy to use but the pricing can get expensive without proper provisioning

What is our primary use case?

This product is used primarily for storing data. The process is you have to reserve RDS space and then you can install any database scheme you want, for example, MariaDB, SQL or Aurora. We typically use Aurora DB.

• "The product is very, very easy to use."
  • "You can only get access from the sales support. That means if you want to buy something or renew your subscription or upgrade, all these services are easily available. Yet, if you would like to get some technical support, you have to pay for it. You have to pay for an additional subscription."

What other advice do I have?

Despite the issues around pricing and technical support, RDS is a good choice for organizations due to the fact that it's very easy to use. I'd recommend it to others due to this ease of use and general stability. Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. If they had a free technical support tier I might rate it higher.
JZ
Sr. Database Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Good overall features, a good community version, and an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily have many tools, including Jira, that are currently using RDS. It's mainly used by developers.

• "The provisioning is much faster. You don't have to prepare hardware or install software. You just need to create an instance and you have a database."
  • "A lot of the features are disabled by default. The solution should enable more features. I understand this could cause challenges to management for many clients using RDS, however."

What other advice do I have?

We're currently expanding multiple versions of the solution. We use the cloud deployment model and most clients are also in the AWS environment. I'd advise others to pay attention to the sizing, You don't want to over or under-size. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Agnaldo Carmo
Data Engineer at Elastacloud
A distributed relational database service with good technical support, but the price could be better

What is our primary use case?

We are using AWS RDS to have a database that we're not using at the moment. I'm not making any changes to the parameter of the database or the configuration of the database on AWS. I just have to open a new port on the map of the network to have a connection to the prepaid network.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is straightforward, and technical support is good.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. We have better options like Microsoft Azure to use in the cloud. I also don't think it's very scalable.

I've been using Amazon RDS for almost five months.

I don't think it's very scalable. In comparison, Microsoft Azure has many…
CL
Data Analyst at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, flexible, powerful, and stable

What is our primary use case?

It is used for multiple needs. We have a transaction system with multiple databases, such as SQL Server and MySQL.

• "It is easy to use, flexible, and powerful."
  • "When you are using it for the first time, it is a little bit hard to configure. The first-time configuration is not very easy. It should be easier to configure. Its installation should also be simpler. Currently, its installation is very complex. With SQL Server, we have access to the SQL Server analysis services and reporting services, but such services are not available with Amazon RDS."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Amazon RDS an eight out of ten.
Eric Sousa
Head of Data Projects at Cognitivo
A distributed relational database service that's simple to implement and to start using

What is our primary use case?

We deployed RDS in our environment, and our use case is so simple. We don't have large-scale use, but we will start using RDS with more users. For now, we deployed it, and we use RDS with only a few users.

• "For me, RDS is a great solution. I like that Amazon RDS is a very simple solution to implement and to start using."
  • "It would be better if it integrated seamlessly with Microsoft products. Our clients use the Microsoft Tally application server. We already tried to create a reputation from, for example, an on-premises environment from our client to Amazon RDS using Microsoft Tally server, and we couldn't do that because we didn't have a strong user in RDS. We couldn't create a reputation from an on-premises environment from the Microsoft Tally server to RDS. I think that it would be a good implementation, and it would help us with this case."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon RDS a ten.
Product Categories
Database as a Service
Download our free Amazon RDS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.