Amazon RDS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon RDS is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Database as a Service vendors. It is most often compared to Oracle Database as a Service: Amazon RDS vs Oracle Database as a Service

What is Amazon RDS?

Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) is a web service that makes it easier to set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the cloud. It provides cost-efficient, resizeable capacity for an industry-standard relational database and manages common database administration tasks.

Amazon RDS is also known as RDS.

Amazon RDS Buyer's Guide

Download the Amazon RDS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Amazon RDS Customers

Edmodo

Amazon RDS Video

Archived Amazon RDS Reviews (more than two years old)

Cloud Architect, Oracle ACE, Oracle DBA at Pythian
MSP
Provides deployment and on-demand database-as-a-service.

What is most valuable?

RDS provides deployment agility and an on-demand database-as-a-service for MySQL, Oracle, and SQL servers.

With RDS, everything is turnkey and always available. For example, due to the inherent multi-availability zone feature of AWS, there is no downtime at all and you can count on AWS RDS to always be available.

How has it helped my organization?

For many of the Pythian customers, one salient benefit, among other benefits, is the option of spinning up a new instance whenever it is needed. Now it can be done with a few clicks, without much ado.

What needs improvement?

RDS doesn't have shell access. This could be beneficial, especially for Oracle databases.

One benefit of having shell access with RDS is that DBAs or developers could keep their own existing scripts. Especially in the case of non-enterprise versions, there is always a need to dig into performance issues and their troubleshooting. So shell access could be very handy in that case and in some other cases.

I have been using AWS RDS for the last two years.

We have not really had stability issues.

The technical support is good and prompt.

For many clients of Pythian, it’s an amalgamation of on-premises and cloud. Pythian enables its customers to reap the benefits of both worlds.

With the expertise and experience of Pythian, the initial setup was a breeze.

Read the fine print carefully and always engage experts to carry out migration.

We did not evaluate any alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

Having your database on RDS doesn't mean that you don't need a DBA anymore. Mission critical and important databases must be handled by a DBA, even if the database resides on the cloud, like RDS.

it_user422652
DBA at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Infrastructural issues are handled automatically. Some database components are not available, including RAC.
Pros: Very easy to start with. No need to mess around with OS requirements. All infrastructural issues are handled automatically; backups, patching. Cons: Some features are disabled, like running "alter system/database". There are Amazon alternatives, but it is not transparent to the application. When migrating an existing application, it should be adopted. Also, using these Amazon alternatives produces "cloud-lock", since they exist only in AWS. Some database components are not available. Most remarkable is the absence of RAC.

Pros:

• Very easy to start with. No need to mess around with OS requirements.
  • All infrastructural issues are handled automatically; backups, patching.

Cons:

• Some features are disabled, like running "alter system/database". There are Amazon alternatives, but it is not transparent to the application. When migrating an existing application, it should be adopted. Also, using these Amazon alternatives produces "cloud-lock", since they exist only in AWS.
  • Some database components are not available. Most remarkable is the absence of RAC.
Learn what your peers think about Amazon RDS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user422652
DBA at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A valuable feature is the easy creation of new databases. Migration to RDS using the default tools is complicated.

What is most valuable?

Easy creation of new databases Maintenance is fully automatic (backups, monitoring, and patches)

How has it helped my organization?

We are using it as shared QA environment.

What needs improvement?

Migration to RDS using the default tools is very complicated.

I have used this product for one year.

We have not had stability problems. It is much more stable than a standard datacenter.

This had the same scalability issues as Oracle databases on premise.

We have never needed technical support.

What is most valuable?

• Easy creation of new databases
  • Maintenance is fully automatic (backups, monitoring, and patches)

How has it helped my organization?

We are using it as shared QA environment.

What needs improvement?

Migration to RDS using the default tools is very complicated.

I have used this product for one year.

This had the same scalability issues as Oracle databases on premise.

We have never needed technical support.

We did not have a previous solution.

The initial setup was very simple.

I am using BYOL.

We evaluated Oracle database on-premises on Amazon EC2 and on Oracle Cloud.

What other advice do I have?

It requires time to adapt to the idea that you do not have any access to the O/S.

Product Categories
Database as a Service
Download our free Amazon RDS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.