Amazon Redshift Reviews

Mediha Šiljić
Chief Information Officer at Sensilab
Aug 06 2019

What do you think of Amazon Redshift?

What is our primary use case?

We are using the private cloud model of this solution. Our primary use case is for a data warehouse for BI.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it's easy to set up and easy to connect the many tools that connect to it.

What needs improvement?

Compatibility with other products, for example, Microsoft and Google, is a bit difficult because each one of them wants to be isolated with their solutions. That's a big problem now.

I have been using Redshift for around eight to nine months.

It is stable.

Scalability is okay. It's easily scalable. We don't have any plans to increase…
Head of Analytics Switzerland at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 13 2019

What do you think of Amazon Redshift?

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for analytics.

What is most valuable?

The solution's flexibility is its most valuable feature. It's also easy to scale and has relatively painless pricing.

What needs improvement?

The speed of the solution and its portability needs improvement.

I've been using the solution since 2006.

The solution is getting more stable with each new version. It's stable now, but it can always continue to improve.

The solution can scale easily.

I've never been in touch with technical support.

The…
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Snowflake Computing, Microsoft and others in Cloud Data Warehouse. Updated: September 2019.
370,827 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Andrew Smale
User
Principal Consultant
May 23 2018

What do you think of Amazon Redshift?

What is our primary use case?

Storing and querying data in near real time. Loading millions of raw CSV records. Running data comparisons and queries, then shutting it all down all within a few hours, once a week.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy to load and reload data.

What is most valuable?

Fast load times  Flexibility in column definitions The ability to reload data multiple times at different times.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if it was a bit cheaper to retain data long-term.  Should be made available across zones, like other Multi-AZ solutions.

Less than one year.

Per hour pricing is helpful to keep the costs of a pilot down, but long-term…
Nir Wasserman
BI Manager at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Feb 04 2019

What do you think of Amazon Redshift?

What is our primary use case?

We use it to build a data warehouse and a centralized location for all of our data sources, allowing for in-depth analysis by using SQL queries.

How has it helped my organization?

Allows for the storage of huge amounts of data.  Assists users to perform ad hoc analysis on a lot sources together.

What is most valuable?

Windows functions, such as LEAD and LAG. Allows you write complex queries and perform row by row processes.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, a pivot function would be a big help. It could save a lot of time creating a query or process to handle operations.

Three to five years.

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About Amazon Redshift

370,827 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Amazon Redshift Questions

What is Amazon Redshift?

Amazon Redshift is a fast and powerful, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service in the cloud. Customers can start small for just $0.25 per hour with no commitments or upfront costs and scale to a petabyte or more for $1,000 per terabyte per year, less than a tenth of most other data warehousing solutions.

Traditional data warehouses require significant time and resource to administer, especially for large datasets. In addition, the financial cost associated with building, maintaining, and growing self-managed, on-premise data warehouses is very high. Amazon Redshift not only significantly lowers the cost of a data warehouse, but also makes it easy to analyze large amounts of data very quickly.

Amazon Redshift gives you fast querying capabilities over structured data using familiar SQL-based clients and business intelligence (BI) tools using standard ODBC and JDBC connections. Queries are distributed and parallelized across multiple physical resources. You can easily scale an Amazon Redshift data warehouse up or down with a few clicks in the AWS Management Console or with a single API call. Amazon Redshift automatically patches and backs up your data warehouse, storing the backups for a user-defined retention period. Amazon Redshift uses replication and continuous backups to enhance availability and improve data durability and can automatically recover from component and node failures. In addition, Amazon Redshift supports Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC), SSL, AES-256 encryption and Hardware Security Modules (HSMs) to protect your data in transit and at rest.

As with all Amazon Web Services, there are no up-front investments required, and you pay only for the resources you use. Amazon Redshift lets you pay as you go. You can even try Amazon Redshift for free.

Amazon Redshift customers

Liberty Mutual Insurance, 4Cite Marketing, BrandVerity, DNA Plc, Sirocco Systems, Gainsight, Blue 449

Read Archived Reviews
BUYER'S GUIDE
Download our free Cloud Data Warehouse Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Snowflake Computing, Microsoft, and more!