Eli Misael Manjarrez
DBA at Kimetrics
Costs less than Oracle Cloud or Microsoft Azure solutions

• "Amazon Redshift is very fast. It has really good response times. It's very user-friendly."
  • "There is some missing functionality and sometimes it's so difficult to work in. We need to convert these functionalities using VACUUM inside Amazon Redshift and then it causes some complexity."

What is most valuable?

Amazon Redshift is very fast. It has really good response times. It's very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Redshift is a multi-tier engine that works like a calculator. There is some missing functionality and sometimes it's so difficult to work in. We need to convert these functionalities using VACUUM inside Amazon Redshift and then it causes some complexity. Sometimes I'd like for them to support some special features or some special installations because we need automatic populations. I would like to see more programming outside of the cloud. I would like to see more functionalities under JSON files. the only functionality that they have now with JSON is reports. I would also like to see other data sources like MongoDB.

I have used Amazon Redshift for three years. I use the latest version because it is on Amazon's public cloud.

The management of the dates for what we can deliver to it, it's always specific to the form that's defined to Amazon Redshift.

I have used their technical support only a few times. Before talking to support I usually try to troubleshoot things myself and I'm usually able to resolve any issues.

In the past year, we have used Azure, but the committee has chosen Amazon Redshift because it is better than Azure for our company needs. We have grown around Amazon Redshift and other AWS solutions.

Amazon Redshift is not as straightforward as other AWS tools but it is not that difficult.

Amazon Redshift costs less than Oracle Cloud or Microsoft Azure.

I started using Amazon Redshift because I started working for this company that was working with both Azure and Amazon. The company eventually moved all to Amazon. I wasn't sure why they didn't continue to use Azure. My experience was more with Microsoft technology so I prefer Azure. But, there are some interesting features in Amazon Redshift that works better. I have also used Oracle Cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Amazon Redshift as it is part of the AWS platform and they are the biggest in the world.

I would give Amazon Redshift a rating of eight on a scale of ten.

MJ
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great modeling capabilities and very user friendly SQL editor and connectors

• "Has a very user-friendly SQL editor and it's very easy to use the connectors."
  • "Improvement could be made in the area of streaming data."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this product is as a data warehouse. We are partners with Amazon.

What is most valuable?

Amazon Redshift has a very user-friendly SQL editor and it's very easy to use the connectors. The product provides a lot of options to connect to different sources and the modeling capabilities are also good. As a fully managed data warehouse solution, the two important aspects are the connectors and how well we can use SQL for data modeling. In both cases, this is an efficient product.

What needs improvement?

Improvement could be made in the area of streaming data. The capability can definitely be improved. There are other products like Kinesis which is a separate service we use for streaming data ingestion. Whatever features are missing in Redshift, they have separate sources but if there were the feasibility to ingest real-time streaming data directly into RedShift, that would be very useful.

I've been using this solution for the past year.

The product is 100% stable.

The solution is scalable. This is backend technology and end users are not aware they are using it. We probably have four or five users in the company.

The technical support is good, they're very responsive.

The initial setup is very simple because it's a fully managed service and not much is required from the user's end.

The licensing is paid on a monthly basis, and I think the pricing is acceptable. They also have a pay-per-go model which is on a per user basis.

What other advice do I have?

If a company is already using Amazon Cloud or they're looking for a cloud solution, Amazon is one of the oldest and most reliable cloud service providers and Redshift is a no-brainer for data warehouse needs.

I rate this product a nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Amazon Redshift. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Shyam Shankar
Senior System Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Has good data updates and latency between data-refreshes

• "In terms of valuable features, I like the columnar storage that Redshift provides. The storage is one of the key features that we're looking for. Also, the data updates and the latency between the data-refreshes."
  • "Pricing is one of the things that it could improve. It should be more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use for Amazon Redshift is for analytical purposes.

What is most valuable?

In terms of valuable features, I like the columnar storage that Redshift provides. The storage is one of the key features that we're looking for. Also, the data updates and the latency between the data-refreshes are valuable.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is one of the concerns that I have because if you compare Snowflake with Redshift, it provides some of the same services, but at a much cheaper rate. So pricing is one of the things that it could improve. It should be more competitive.

Otherwise, everything else looks good, especially the data storage and analytical processes.

I just started using Amazon Redshift. I'm still learning about the product and about how the pricing and the dynamic skilling are done.

I understand that Amazon Redshift is quite stable and it has features like higher readability. So I think it should be a good product to be used.

I have not been in touch with support but I will be needing their support in the near future to help me set up the environment.

In terms of the initial setup, as I said I've still not started using it, so I pray that it's going to be pretty easy for me to set it up.

Of course I would advise others to choose Amazon Redshift, as long as pricing is not a concern for them.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of 1 - 10, where 1 is the worst and 10 is the best, I'd give it an 8.

AD
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Cost effective and stable, for the performance for larger applications needs to be improved

• "The initial setup of this solution is straightforward."
  • "Running parallel queries results in poor performance and this needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is related to statistical data.

What is most valuable?

The best part about this solution is the cost.

The performance of this solution is good if you have only a few use cases and a few queries, but for larger applications, it is not so good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for one year, and it has been used within the company for several years.

This solution is stable, although we have had some issues with maintenance.

The scalability of this solution needs to be improved.

We have dealt with technical support and it is ok.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on the environment and the requirements. For some, Amazon Redshift is perfect. However, some people will need better queries. Based on my research, many of the products are pretty close. It is possible that the much higher priced solutions have more differences.

This is a good solution but the queries need to perform better.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

AJ
Senior Solutions Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Merges and integrates well with all databases; lacks transparency

• "This service can merge and integrate well with all databases."
  • "Planting is the primary key enforcement that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are premium partners with Amazon.

What is most valuable?

This service can merge and integrate well with all databases.

What needs improvement?

Planting is the primary key enforcement that should be improved but there is probably a reason that they don't follow the reference architecture. It means they are creating clones of the data shading. Cost control measures could be improved along with added transparency.

I've been using this solution for nine months.

AWS technical support is very good.

We needed some help from experienced professionals for our initial setup.

Licensing costs are reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution depending on the scale. You need to decide whether you want to be lined up with a single cloud provider or go over the service and have it deployed on multi cloud. There are many factors to take into consideration.

I rate this solution seven out of 10.

AmitKulkarni
Consultant at kulki data management & consultants
Integration with Excel is useful and has excellent performance

• "Redshift's Excel features are handy. Redshift spectrum allows you to directly query the data on an Excel sheet. Now, SQL Server also allows this, but Redshift has many more features."
  • "Amazon should provide more cloud-native tools that can integrate with Redshift like Microsoft's development tools for Azure."

What is most valuable?

Redshift's Excel features are handy. Redshift spectrum allows you to directly query the data on an Excel sheet. Now, SQL Server also allows this, but Redshift has many more features.

What needs improvement?

Amazon should provide more cloud-native tools that can integrate with Redshift like Microsoft's development tools for Azure.

I've only used Redshift a couple of times to do a proof of concept.

Redshift has had some scaling issues, but Redshift's performance overall is excellent.

We haven't encountered many challenges so far.

Redshift setup is easy. It's not an issue.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Redshift nine out of 10. If you're thinking about implementing Redshift, I would recommend focusing on the use case. It's a warehouse database, not a transactional system, so they need to plan their workload before migrating to Redshift.