Amazon S3 Overview

Amazon S3 is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Public Cloud Storage Services. It is most often compared to Oracle Cloud Object Storage: Amazon S3 vs Oracle Cloud Object Storage

What is Amazon S3?

Amazon Simple Storage Service is storage for the Internet. It is designed to make web-scale computing easier for developers.

Amazon S3 has a simple web services interface that you can use to store and retrieve any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web. It gives any developer access to the same highly scalable, reliable, fast, inexpensive data storage infrastructure that Amazon uses to run its own global network of web sites. The service aims to maximize benefits of scale and to pass those benefits on to developers.

Amazon S3 is also known as S3, Simple Storage Service.

Amazon S3 Buyer's Guide

Download the Amazon S3 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Amazon S3 Customers

Netflix, Airbnb, Thomson Reuters, Zillow, Alert Logic

Amazon S3 Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon S3 pricing:
  • "This solution has reasonable pricing and a low cost."

Technical Director at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Leaderboard
High Availability, with High Performance, IAM access control, and server-side encryption at a low cost

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for the storage of large amounts of data. It's a public cloud deployment model that anyone can deploy. There is no need to upgrade as they don't have versions, it's a managed service, it's hybrid. There are changes that we make internally. It's Amazon S3.

• "It's good for starting up because you only pay for what you use."
  • "A feature that should be included is to find and provide a HIPPA compliant solution for the Presigned URL."

What other advice do I have?

It's difficult to offer advice as it depends on the use case and what this solution is intended for. This solution is managed fully, and there is no need for upgrades or anything. It's cloud-based. If you just Gmail, you don't upgrade Gmail. I would recommend this solution for companies of any size. It's good for starting up because you only pay for what you use. It's internet-capable, making it good for any company. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
IT-Services Manager & Solution Architect at Stratis
Flexible with good pricing and a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to share static files among web applications and mobile applications.

• "The initial setup is not difficult or overly complex. It's very straightforward and easy to implement."
  • "Technical support could have a faster response time."

What other advice do I have?

We are implementors. I would recommend the solution to other companies. it's a very flexible product. It's cheap. You pay for what you get. It's just a cloud. AWS has a really good cloud implementation. I could not compare it with any other -such as Azure or Google - as I have not tried any of those. Users who would like to look at other options should check out Gartner's Magic Quadrant. However, any company can go easily to AWS straight away and be sure that they're going to pay a good price for a good service. I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Amazon S3. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
502,275 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PC
Business Analytics at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Cloud storage that is easy to setup and does what you need it to do

What is our primary use case?

We haven't released the Amazon S3 platform in a production environment. It's more for prototyping and POC so far. Normally we use it for the data dump. It's something similar to a data lake wherein we use it to obtain the data.

• "The most valuable feature is the storage."
  • "In the next release, I think that it would be good to have wizards that would update into specific applications, for example, a one-touch configuration in Pagemaker."

What other advice do I have?

You have to know specifically what it is being used for. One of the issues we face is that it is a developer's environment. In our country, the Philippines, people are often forced upon with brands such as Microsoft, Zadara, and even Oracle. Azure is something that is explored by developers. The onus is with the formal organization to get the people back in. I would rate this solution a fair eight out of ten. It does what I need it to do, but it is a developer's tool. It's not something that I have heard many people harp about.
Manager, IT Infrastructure and Data Center at Asian Paints
Reliable, easy to scale and deploys beautifully

What is our primary use case?

We have deployed Amazon S3 in two places, in Ireland and Northern Ireland. These act as storage for all the data, which is there. We have up to three servers there, one of these is an SQL server and one is Windows.

• "Feature-wise, Amazon S3 is the cheapest and it's reliable."
  • "The console could be improved - it's not very user friendly for non-technical guys."

What other advice do I have?

Amazon deployment works beautifully. If you know what your inside view will look like, you can cut down on your cost. Look at cloud security when you first configure the architecture.
CEO at ITSAGILITY DMCC
Excellent sharing capabilities, particularly content sharing by multiple users

What is our primary use case?

I work as an integrator of Amazon S3

• "Enables content sharing by multiple users."
  • "They could always increase object storage ability."

What other advice do I have?

Other companies are trying to reach them but they've been ahead of the game for a long time. As an object storage product and in comparison to what's available on the market, I rate this solution a 10 out of 10.
Senior consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Scalable with unlimited storage and good performance

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for storage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are unlimited storage, scalability, and performance.

What needs improvement?

The security model can be improved as it is a bit confusing. The access speed could be faster.

I have been familiar with Amazon S3 for six years now. I am always using the latest version because it is self-service, and you cannot choose the version you are using.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable solution. I provide consulting services for this product and every customer we have is using it. Our clients are…
Download our free Amazon S3 Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.