Amazon WorkSpaces OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon WorkSpaces is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Desktop as a Service vendors. It is most often compared to Amazon Appstream: Amazon WorkSpaces vs Amazon Appstream

What is Amazon WorkSpaces?

Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. We are driven by the excitement of building technologies, inventing products, and providing services that change lives. We embrace new ways of doing things, make decisions quickly, and are not afraid to fail. We have the scope and capabilities of a large company, and the spirit and heart of a small one. Together, Amazonians research and develop new technologies from Amazon Web Services to Alexa on behalf of our customers: shoppers, sellers, content creators, and developers around the world. Our mission is to be Earth's most customer-centric company. Our actions, goals, projects, programs, and inventions begin and end with the customer top of mind.

Amazon WorkSpaces is also known as WorkSpaces.

Amazon WorkSpaces Buyer's Guide

Download the Amazon WorkSpaces Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Amazon WorkSpaces Customers

GrubHub, Endemol Shine Nederland, CMC Property Services

Amazon WorkSpaces Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon WorkSpaces pricing:
  • "There are several different options available, but it can range anywhere from $85 to $150 a month per machine."
  • "The bundle works out to be approximately $20.00 per month."

Amazon WorkSpaces Reviews

MS
Director, Digital Workplace Engineering at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, flexible, easy to use, and allows me to work from anywhere

• "The most valuable feature is the mobility. I can use it anywhere."
  • "The speed and performance are not always the greatest. It can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use it as my laptop. It's my virtual machine. I use it for everything I do at work, including using it for managing the systems and the servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the mobility. I can use it anywhere.

If I don't have my regular laptop, I can use my resources on it anywhere I go. Also, the flexibility is very good.

What needs improvement?

The speed and performance are not always the greatest. It can be improved.

Video and audio conferencing are areas that need to be improved.

When you're using it on a laptop for conferencing, you need to enhance the video. This is because you cannot do video conferencing on an Amazon WorkSpace. Rather, you're on a different laptop and dialing into it.

Overall performance and video conferencing platforms, whether it's WebEx, Teams, or Skype, all need improvement.

I have been using Amazon Workspaces for three years.

The stability is good with Amazon Workspaces.

It's a scalable solution. My understanding is that it is basically the price of the machine.

We are limited to the cost.

We have approximately 600 to 800 users in our organization with most being IT, some are business partners but most are centric to technology people.

It's not in my realm of responsibilities. My counterpart or partner team take care of it.

Previously, we used Citrix Managed Desktops for a very limited about of time.

Citrix was the most user-friendly and there were too many issues.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We have a team of three, four max, to maintain this solution.

The cost is based on the capacity and the resources of the machine itself.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it. Definitely.

It's a very flexible solution, scalable, and easy to use.

You can use it from any device, whether you have an iPad, or if you have a laptop, a Mac, or if you have Windows. You can use it on every platform that supports Google Chrome.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
RK
CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy provisioning that is easy to scale and easy to setup

• "The most valuable features are easy provisioning, an active directory, and mobile access."
  • "If they had a cheaper option for graphics pro, I think that it would be beneficial and I would use it."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Amazon WorkSpaces for our everyday office use.

For our software development, we use Azure Desktop.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are easy provisioning, Active Directory, and mobile access.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Amazon WorkSpaces for six months.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues.

It's a scalable solution. It's easy to scale.

We had an Amazon account and from there, we connected to the Amazon WorkSpaces.

We also use Azure a lot for software development.

The initial setup was very easy.

The bundle works out to be approximately $20.00 per month.

What other advice do I have?

If they have custom development or anything custom, they should probably look at other solutions. All of the pricing adds up to be quite a bit.

If it is all-inclusive pricing for a single user or for two users then it would be a lot cheaper.

I would rate Amazon WorkSpaces an eight out of ten.