Anaplan OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Anaplan is #1 ranked solution in top Business Performance Management tools. IT Central Station users give Anaplan an average rating of 8 out of 10. Anaplan is most commonly compared to SAP ERP:Anaplan vs SAP ERP. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Anaplan?

Anaplan is a cloud-based planning and performance management platform with documented use cases in finance, sales, supply chain, marketing, IT and HR. At the core of Anaplan's technology is a single hub where business users can build, deploy, maintain, and share models without coding or reliance on IT personnel.

Anaplan Buyer's Guide

Download the Anaplan Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2021

Anaplan Customers

HP, ForeScout, DocuSign, EAT, Pandora, Aviva, Intel Security, Zalora

Anaplan Video

Archived Anaplan Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user653559
Manager Analytics at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It allows you to do “what-if” analysis and provides collaboration across the organization.

What is most valuable?

• Serves as a platform: You can design your solutions on top of it
  • Allows you to do “what-if” analysis on the go
  • Allows collaboration across the organization: This is most essential for security

How has it helped my organization?

We use Anaplan across multiple functional areas. I will elaborate a few features that have had the most impact on our organization:

• The forecasting/planning cycles: This used to take months to collaborate. It now only takes a week to finish and be worked upon.
  • The commission payment systems: Have been automated in Anaplan. The commission payments are highly transparent and efficient now.
  • The Bookings and Revenue Forecasting model: Allows us to predict the Salesforce requirements and to budget for them beforehand.

What needs improvement?

• A better presentation layer would certainly take it a notch higher.
  • As compared to other BI tools, such as QlikView, the presentation layer is not as user-friendly.
  • It still does a fairly good job on the look and feel of the dashboards. But this is the only area in which there is scope for improvement.

I have used this solution for more than four years.

There were no stability issues.

This product is super scalable and efficient.

Mostly there is no need for any support. Anaplan is very supportive in case you need to contact the technical support.

Being a business analyst, we use multiple tools.

We were the early adaptors of Anaplan. Because of the customizability that it offers and the ease of various “what-if” scenarios, you can build on this tool.

None of the other tools in the market offer that level of flexibility. Hence, it is pretty unique in that sense.

There is no setup required. It is a cloud platform.

Go for a bigger deal initially. Once you start using it, you will certainly want more of it.

We had evaluated Tableau and QlikView. Even though a lot of the other tools do a good job, only Anaplan allows flexibility and customizability to design solutions and do real-time “what-if” analysis.

What other advice do I have?

Have a core team dedicated only to Anaplan and you will realize the true potential of this tool.

The tool is very good and customizable.

it_user652950
Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The capacity projection helped to identify where the utilization is falling beyond a limit. I would like to see more flexible graphs.

What is most valuable?

• Multi-dimensional
  • Easy to restructure
  • Cloud compatible

How has it helped my organization?

The capacity projection of certain lines helped to identify where the utilization is falling beyond a limit. It helped certain category planners to plan for long term investments (shift patterns).

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more flexible graphs. That is, more varieties of graphs, more customization (like choosing colors, gradients, etc.) and more conditional formatting options (format sharply or gradient).

Anaplan gave us some limitations in terms of these aspects. There might be scope for experimenting around the formatting, if not the types, of graphs!

I have used the product for one year.

Very rarely. The tool slows down around once every two months.

There were no scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 8/10.

I used a different solution. I switched to expand my exposure to a budding tool in planning.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It might cost more compared to some decent tools in the market. But one should be mindful about the capabilities of Anaplan, which justify the cost.

I haven't done this, as it was already selected by my organization. However, I did some market research to see how other options are flourishing, and found Anaplan to be a worthwhile option.

What other advice do I have?

There are fewer experts in the Indian market, but there seems to be a lot of scope in global markets. Anaplan is a worthwhile investment for a top performing planning solution in any sector, Finance, Capacity, or Budgeting, etc.

Learn what your peers think about Anaplan. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user635439
Lead Solution Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
This product offers us easy integration with Salesforce and is felxible.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of integration with Salesforce (Sales Cloud).
  • Flexibility - the ability to run several different sales forecasting models, but have those parts roll-up to a corporate model.
  • Extremely customizable (add fields, add dashboards/components, etc.)

How has it helped my organization?

• It has supported a global process change to sales forecasting and created a single method for this.
  • It has created a global standard in corporate dashboards that all regions agreed to run the business from.
  • It has simplified the sales forecasting process.
  • It has increased visibility at a corporate & global sales leadership level where previously it was not possible in MS Excel.
  • It has helped speed up business and reduced the time it took to report on and view the sales forecast.

What needs improvement?

Anaplan needs to place more limits on builders/developers in some cases because we found that if we continued to customize a given sales forecast model it would degrade performance slightly as we continued to add dimensions to our forecasting model.

We have used the solution for more than two years.

For the most part Anaplan had reliable up-time and stability so this was not an issue.

Small changes could create massive amounts of data without the Anaplan Builder knowing that they did that. This could push us over space/storage limits quickly.

After going live in August 2015 we had to double storage capacity and rebuild the entire forecasting model six months after go-live in Spring 2016 due to a poor initial design that led to wasted storage and less optimal performance.

Anaplan provided us with some great resources and Professional Services resources to get our initial sales forecasting model off the ground.

Previously we used MS Excel. We switched because we needed global visibility, forecasting accuracy and a cloud/SaaS/online solution for our sales organization.

The organization & forecasting solution in Excel had gotten so complex, took too long to aggregate and was giving Sales Leadership false forecasts (based on bad data).

Initially we thought it was straightforward, but it ended up being complex, but not because of Anaplan. The challenge was getting a Global Sales organization to agree on a single way to do sales forecasting. That took almost eight months to nail down. Once that was done, it only took six weeks to get the Anaplan sales forecating model setup and rolled out to our users.

Be mindful about storage limits initially. Also, make sure you decide how many Administrator licenses you need. If I recall, the Admin/Developer license costs ten times more than a standard user license so make sure you know how many of those you really need at your company to make cost effective decisions for your organization.

We also looked at Salesforce (native forecasting solution), Adaptive Insights and an IBM solution.

What other advice do I have?

Get Anaplan Professional Services to start, make sure to pay for additional Anaplan training sessions and continue to invest in training for your organization. These skills are not easy to pick up so getting help to start your project is highly recommended.

Harish Bysani
Manager Cloud EPM at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It is stable, and the dashboards and Model Map are valuable.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the dashboards and Model Map, as they speak to the business and they are the backbone of the modelling.

How has it helped my organization?

It’s very agile and we can do changes in minutes, rather than waiting for consultants and change requests. So, it’s as dynamic as the business.

What needs improvement?

• The sizing can be improved.
  • Need more subsets for Versions and Time.
  • Reporting can be vastly improved.

Right now, if we build a module using 3 versions, 100 GL Accounts, 25 Cost Centers, and 13 periods (12 months + 1 Year), the sizing of the model calculated would be 3*100*25*13 = 97500, irrespective of the data present in the module. I mean, even if you have only 1000 cells with data out of those 97500 cells, and the remaining cells are null, still the sizing is calculated for all the 97500 cells.

Further, we do not have an option of having only a few months or a few versions (Actual Forecast in module). We should either use them or not use them; if we can get a subset for the version and time, then we can reduce the sizing to some extent.

In the above example, if the module was only for forecasting purposes, then the sizing could be reduced to 65000 instead 97500 by reducing the number of versions to 2 from 3.

Sizing is the biggest challenge in providing solutions.

I have been using it for 2+ years.

The projects I have worked on were of medium scale and had no issues with stability.

The projects were of medium scale and had no issues with scalability, but sizing of the cloud server directly affects scalability and thus affects the cost.

Technical support is 8 out of 10.

Previously, we had a built-in and Excel-based solution. We switched for more agility, data control and transparency.

Initial setup was complex to design due to the diversified planning methods used by different operating companies within the organization.

The sizing is the biggest culprit, so please get your sizing done properly by giving all the details before you decide on going with Anaplan.

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated TM1, along with SAP Business Planning and Consolidation.

What other advice do I have?

Please keep in mind the sizing; the way sizing includes even empty cells is big disadvantage. The reporting for now is not up to mark if you do not use dashboards intelligently.