RP
Programmatore software at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A stable solution with a lot of connectors and easy setup

• "The features that I appreciate are quite basic. It is easy to ramp up the threads and start calling the application. A lot of connectors can already be found within Apache JMeter, but we are not using the entire set because the integration between the customers and platform is based on HTTP. We are just going to produce lots of HTTP sequences."
  • "Currently, the integration pipeline is implemented by using Jenkins or a similar tool platform. These are continuous integration tools. As far as I know, integration is done by using custom scripts. It would be good if the integration with a continuous integration pipeline, like Jenkins or Hudson, can be done out of the box without using a script."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Apache JMeter for profiling and stress testing the application. It is a part of our delivery architecture to stress test the application. It is a part of the build chain. It is not just something that we use internally to verify what we are going to use or going to do.

In terms of a specific use case, we are using Apache JMeter to simulate user engagement. Our software is about customer engagement, and we use JMeter to simulate the customers and engage them on our platform as aggressively as we can.

What needs improvement?

I have about two years of experience with JMeter. I started to use it two years ago with a new job.

It, for sure, is stable. Apache JMeter is a consolidated tool that has survived for several years.

It is mainly used by automation tools. These automation tools are around whenever needed. We have about 70 people, and this is a spot adoption.

I have never tried Apache support.

The initial setup is quite easy because this is just a compressed archive. There is no real installation of the tool. You just need to extract it to integrate with Jenkins Pipelines and automatic tools by using the command-line calls. After you expand the archive, you have to adjust Apache JMeter to its proper configuration, which is not a big issue.

In terms of open-source adoption, it is completely free.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I would rate Apache JMeter a ten out of ten. I don't have anything else to compare it with, and I don't know if a competitor can achieve better.

AvinashYH
Senior Software Test Engineer at Loyal Hospitality Pvt. Ltd
Good performance testing and reporting, helpful user community, but it hangs with too many concurrent threads

• "The most valuable feature in JMeter is the Thread Group, which helps us to see whether the performance is good."
  • "Automation is difficult in JMeter."

What is our primary use case?

We use Apache JMeter for lower-end performance testing. Sometimes we use it for Rest API testing, as well.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows us to have a detailed look at performance using different metrics. We can look at the deviation and the median values and see how it is performing. We can also analyze our servers and see how they are performing in terms of CPU and how much memory is allocated.

What is most valuable?

The plugin for git allows us to scan files directly from the GitHub site.

The reporting is good and there are a lot of different formats available.

If you want to see the data that is associated with a response then you can download it in JSON format.

There is a large user community that can help you to learn and use JMeter.

What needs improvement?

When we are testing with too many threads then the solution hangs.

JMeter does not support JavaScript.

Automation is difficult in JMeter.

We have been using JMeter for the past two years.

Stability becomes an issue if we use more than 10 or 20 threads.

We have not been in contact with Apache technical support.

There is a large user community and if you need help then you can get instant help from them.

We also use Postman and when it comes to making a very large request, it is the better option. It is also a user-friendly solution and you do not have to go through a lot of documents to start using it.

JMeter works better for iterative testing.

It is easy to set up and administer JMeter.

This is an open-source product.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution but many features would have to be added to use this tool alone. Postman has more features, so JMeter is really only good for performance testing.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Apache JMeter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
UdayKumar
Lead SDET at Unify Technologies
Good reporting, but it should be more user-friendly, support Ruby, and support dynamic throughput

• "The most valuable features are the integration with Jenkins and the reporting."
  • "The interface could be made more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are writing scripts using various tools in multiple environments. We have tests set up where you have to pass the credentials in to get a session ID, and it sets and checks the cookies. Then, we check the response values and pass them on to the next function.

We have this solution integrated with Jenkins and we also use it for database performance testing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the integration with Jenkins and the reporting.

JMeter allows us to automate performance testing and raise diagnostic functions.

What needs improvement?

This solution should support the Ruby programming language for scripting.

JMeter should support dynamic throughput so that we can reduce or increase it during the execution of the scripts.

For performance testing, we would like to be able to select different bandwidths such as 3G or 4G.

The interface could be made more user-friendly.

I have been working with Apache JMeter for the past three months.

We have not had any problems with stability.

So far, I haven't had any issues with scalability when performance testing.

We have not yet been in contact with technical support.

I have also started working with BlazeMeter. One of the differences is that the automation is not possible in BlazeMeter. However, BlazeMeters allows for the selection of different bandwidths, it takes less time to write tests, and it is more user-friendly.

The initial setup is straightforward. We have not yet completed our full deployment with all of the tests.

Our internal team was responsible for the implementation.

We are currently comparing the differences between Apache JMeter and BlazeMeter.

What other advice do I have?

JMeter is a good solution but it requires writing manual scripts and takes longer than BlazeMeter. It takes longer to cover the same number of use cases and is not as user-friendly.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

HK
Performance Specialist at a renewables & environment company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A free, stable, and feature-rich solution with good community support

• "A lot of things are valuable. It is free. It has a lot of features, such as report generation and integration with CI/CD, which makes it very competitive with the other paid solutions available in the market. It is a good solution."
  • "They can improve it a little bit in terms of distribution load testing. We struggled with it during the distribution. In terms of reporting, runtime monitoring is not currently included, and it should be included. They can also improve it on the reporting side in terms of the comparison of the reports. They can also focus more on integration with CI/CD. Currently, people are using their own customized tools. It would be nice if Apache can provide some standard tools and procedures for integration with CI/CD tools like DPR. There are some tools, but it would be nice if official standard tools and procedures are available."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution for a banking use case. We have an older version of this solution. We are planning to upgrade to a newer version.

What is most valuable?

A lot of things are valuable. It is free. It has a lot of features, such as report generation and integration with CI/CD, which makes it very competitive with the other paid solutions available in the market. It is a good solution.

What needs improvement?

They can improve it a little bit in terms of distribution load testing. We struggled with it during the distribution.

In terms of reporting, runtime monitoring is not currently included, and it should be included. They can also improve it on the reporting side in terms of the comparison of the reports.

They can also focus more on integration with CI/CD. Currently, people are using their own customized tools. It would be nice if Apache can provide some standard tools and procedures for integration with CI/CD tools like DPR. There are some tools, but it would be nice if official standard tools and procedures are available.

I have been using this solution for almost three months.

It is stable. There is good support, and fixes are also available immediately.

We have not scaled it, but it is scalable. We plan to increase its usage.

I didn't have to call Apache because if anything comes up, we are able to find a solution in the community.

Its initial setup was straightforward.

We are using the free version, and if required, we can easily switch to the other version.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution if it suits a use case. It is good, and it also looks promising. We plan to keep using it in the future.

I would rate Apache JMeter an eight out of ten.

Abdulla Pathan
Technology Competency and Solution Head at LearningMate
It is easily deployable and extendable, but it should start supporting the presentation layer

• "It is open source as well as relatively extendable. It allows us to extend and add additional functionality and features. Its deployment is also very easy."
  • "It should start supporting the presentation layer. It currently provides performance testing specifically at the application and API level. It can be extended to the presentation layer, which includes mainly Angular and React frameworks. It should also be easy to use and easy to train people."

What is our primary use case?

It is specifically used for performance systems. It is used for identifying the areas where we need to improve the application bottlenecks and for load testing. We are using its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to build robust application cater to the learning domain and identify bottleneck prior go live. It helped us refine our deployment strategy and capacity planning.

What is most valuable?

It is open source as well as relatively extendable. It allows us to extend and add additional functionality and features. Its deployment is also very easy.

What needs improvement?

It should start supporting the presentation layer. It currently provides performance testing specifically at the application and API level. It can be extended to the presentation layer, which includes mainly Angular and React frameworks.

It should also be easy to use and easy to train people.

I have been using this solution for more than ten years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. It allows us to extend and add additional functionality and features.

We have around 10 to 15 people who use this solution.

It is open source, so I don't think any support is available.

Load Runner, replaced with JMeter due to lower ROI

Its deployment is easy. It didn't take much time. It took less than 15 minutes.

We deployed it on our own.

1. Scalable Product and solutions

2. Plug and Play with CICD process

3. Reduction in licence cost

No Licensing cost for JMeter

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate Apache JMeter a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
AK
Technical Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Contains all the features required for performance metrics and is very user friendly

• "Very user-friendly and easy to use."
  • "It has some proxy-based dependencies which require specific proxies to be set up or disabled, which causes problems."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the financial industry in India and carry out performance testing. We deal with  SWIFT messages and financial messaging systems. A few years ago we had 2 million transactions in five hours; today it's 2 million in two hours. To measure these performances, I use JMeter for regression. We have Exadata, Exalogic infrastructure. We are users of JMeter and I'm a technical specialist.

What is most valuable?

This tool is very user-friendly and easy to use. It's open-source so there are no costs involved for the non-production environments. It's easily available to anyone who wants to use it and it has all the features required for performance metrics.

What needs improvement?

I think it has some proxy-based dependencies which require specific proxies to be set up or disabled, which causes problems when we are working in certain specific environments that have a proxy setup. When we want it to do a record with some new scripts, there are some challenges there.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is stable and easily scalable.

The support is very good, with good technical teams. Whenever we get stuck they support us and provide solutions.

The initial setup took only 10 minutes but there were some complications with the product initially having less features. That has been greatly improved. It's easy to do maintenance of the test tools which we develop, and it's easy to maintain as a product. We have around 20 users of this solution.

It's open-source, so there's no cost. If you need some support from the vendors there will be a charge for that.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Most of the support, guides, and tutorials are available on YouTube.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

GN
Performance Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Scripting is good, it's stable, and customer service is responsive

• "Scripting with the solution is good."
  • "The solution needs to improve reporting. Currently, there is not enough automation involved with the feature. For example, there should be an automatic way of saving reports."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for load, endurance, and performance testing.

What is most valuable?

Scripting with the solution is good.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve reporting. Currently, there is not enough automation involved with the feature. For example, there should be an automatic way of saving reports. I have also found the recording should be improved too. When you are entering a launch in the controller the recording request should be inside it. Lastly, if they could make the technology better in terms of speed, this would help us.

I have been using the solution for two months.

When I compared this solution to others there were variations in the response times but it is stable.

We have used the current solution process for approximately 400 users.

The customer service is quite good. They get a lot of people requesting support but even under those conditions, they are still efficient at responding.

I have previously used NeoLoad.

The setup is easy, it is not that complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Apache Jmeter.

I rate Apache JMeter an eight out of ten.