What is Apache Kafka?
Apache Kafka is a distributed streaming platform, with the following capabilities:
- It lets you publish and subscribe to streams of records. In this respect it is similar to a message queue or enterprise messaging system.
- It lets you store streams of records in a fault-tolerant way.
- It lets you process streams of records as they occur.
Apache Kafka gets used for two broad classes of application:
- Building real-time streaming data pipelines that reliably get data between systems or applications.
- Building real-time streaming applications that transform or react to the streams of data.