Apache Kafka OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Apache Kafka is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Message Queue Software. It is most often compared to IBM MQ: Apache Kafka vs IBM MQ

What is Apache Kafka?

Apache Kafka is a distributed streaming platform, with the following capabilities:

• It lets you publish and subscribe to streams of records. In this respect it is similar to a message queue or enterprise messaging system.
  • It lets you store streams of records in a fault-tolerant way.
  • It lets you process streams of records as they occur.

Apache Kafka gets used for two broad classes of application:

• Building real-time streaming data pipelines that reliably get data between systems or applications.
  • Building real-time streaming applications that transform or react to the streams of data.
Apache Kafka Buyer's Guide

Download the Apache Kafka Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Apache Kafka Customers
Uber, Netflix, Activision, Spotify, Slack, Pinterest
Apache Kafka Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Apache Kafka pricing:
  • "Apache Kafka is an open-source solution and there are no fees, but there are fees associated with confluence, which are based on subscription."
  • "Apache Kafka is free."
  • "The solution is open source; it's free to use."
  • "Apache Kafka is open-source and can be used free of charge."

Apache Kafka Reviews

RH
Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Open source, granular message retention options, and good third party support

• "When comparing it with other messaging and integration platforms, this is one of the best rated."
  • "The model where you create the integration or the integration scenario needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I am a user, as well as an integrator for our clients. This is one of the products that we implement for others.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution is the architectural style of messaging or event streaming. First is important to understand that anything can be represented as an event=message e.g new order, status change, confirmation, information from IoT or from monitoring system. Each message can be transport very quickly from the source (producer) into consumer(s). Messages can be changed in the fly - streaming messaging.

Messages can be process exactly at once or at least once. Ordering of messages depends on just configuration setup.

When comparing it with other messaging and integration platforms, this is one of the best rated. Message store is out of the box functionality. Messages are automatically stored based on parameter setup of retention policy. Messages can remain for longer, which can be configured from a few milliseconds up to years. Scalability and availability of messages can be changed with zero maintenance window.

You don't need extra clusters to achieve high availability for the messaging system like Veritas, PowerHA or other.

One platform for classical messaging, real time messaging, ETL, message streaming.

ETL can be realised with connectors into external systems which also could run in more instances. Exists a lot of ready to use connectors and new ones can be developed.

What needs improvement?

The model where you create the integration or the integration scenario needs improvement. It contains fewer developer words or maintaining words where someone prepared the topics, the connectors, or the streaming platforms. You would first need to have a control center from a third party for managing.

If you would like to prepare something that is a more sophisticated integration scenario, where you use one microservice to provide the event or a second to several that consumed these microservices, then this needs to be modeled elsewhere.

Also, when comparing to the traditional ESD for data mixing, you can create a scenario that could be deployed with inputs and some outputs.

Most business like the topics, but for me, I think that it is a problem that messaging platforms have, there is no design tool with IDE for creating.

It would be helpful to create a more complex solution for several types of styles, and not just for one provider or for one customer. That would be easier, but if you have more than one consumer then it could be a more complex scenario. It would be like events that go to several microservers to create orders, validate orders, and creating words. This would be helpful.

In the next release, adding some IDE or developing tools, for creating better integration scenarios, even though it already a developer-oriented solution, would be helpful. It would also be helpful for the auto-deployment.

Having a governance style would also be helpful to understand.

It would be beneficial to have a repository of all of the topics, data types that exist, or data structures.

I have been working with this solution for one year.

It's a stable solution.

Kafka is very scalable, which is an important feature of it.

Our clients have approximately ten applications in their companies that communicate with Kafka.

I have not contacted technical support through Kafka, I communicate directly with Confluence. Confluence is the company that developed the open-source platform and they provide support.

The communication is very good and they are very capable of assisting you with all technical inquiries.

There are direct contacts that make it easy.

Previously, I worked with IBM MQ, a different type of messaging platform.

For the most part, the initial setup is easy, but if you need a more sophisticated infrastructure or if you have to set up the topics, then you have to be careful and you have to be more knowledgable in Kafka. You will have to know the parameters for the rotations, the size of the message, and the timeouts, as an example.

For a developer it is easy, but for an administrator and production, it requires more.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend trying this solution.

Take the time to understand it because it is a different style when it comes to working with data.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

OnurTokat
Senior Big Data Developer | Cloudera at Dilisim
Good scalability and excellent for storing data used for analytics but lacks a user interface

• "Kafka provides us with a way to store the data used for analytics. That's the big selling point. There's very good log management."
  • "If the graphical user interface was easier for the Kafka administration it would be much better. Right now, you need to use the program with the command-line interface. If the graphical user interface was easier, it could be a better product."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using this solution on our cloud-based clusters.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Kafka as part of our services. Our product (cloud clusters) has many components and Kafka is one of them.

For example, we use Kafka as a data integration tool. If you take Oracle GoldenGate as a typical use case, what happens is GoldenGate collects the data for the replication and sends this data to the Kafka servers. We collect the data on the Kafka servers, and we create some transformations, some operations, from that data. We then copy the data to the HTTP or hub site.

Previously, when I worked at Nokia, we were collected data using Kafka and then we stored the data on the Kafka servers. We did all transformations through Kafka streaming. Later, Kafka moved data over to the HP site.

What is most valuable?

Kafka has a good storage layer on its side. I can store this data if it's streaming, and, if we do encounter any error, for example, on the network or server, we can later use the data to do some analytics on it using the Kafka server.

Kafka provides us with a way to store the data used for analytics. That's the big selling point. There's very good log management.

Kafka provides many APIs that can be flexible and can be placed or expanded using the development life cycle. For example, using Java, I can customize the API according to our customers' demands. I can expand the functionality according to our customer demands as well. It's also possible to create some models. It allows for more flexibility than much of the competition.

What needs improvement?

If the graphical user interface was easier for the Kafka administration it would be much better. Right now, you need to use the program with a command-line interface. If the graphical user interface was easier, it could be a better product.

I've been using the solution for more than three years.

The solution can be quite stable. We haven't encountered any issues on the Kafka side. However, Creating custom stabilizations would be good for dealing with stabilizing issues.

The scalability of the solution is very good. You can analyze system events horizontally and the cluster can be brought over to the cloud side with the Kafka user's server.

We use the solution for both small and medium-sized organizations, but also larger enterprises. Some of our clients are in the banking and financial sector.

Officially, I did not create any Kafka support tasks on the configuration support that is offered. I have created some questions on the stack overflow, however. Technical support is very good and I've found their response is very quick, giving you an answer within a day.

We didn't previously use a different solution. We did some applications with Java for the consumer content but not the application function within that. We did objects instead.

The initial setup isn't too complex. I know Kafka very well and don't find it to be overly difficult. There's also very good documentation which users can take advantage of.

Deployment, including security integration, only took about one day.

Two people handled the deployment. One person created the authentification group and after creating groups and users, another handled topic authentification and user definition for the customer.

I handled the implementation for cloud-based clusters. I defined the broker nodes and other nodes for Kafka. We are a cloud integrator, so we handled it ourselves.

I'm unaware of the costs surrounding licensing and setup.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the 2.1.30 version of the solution for our cloud-based clusters. We use the on-premises deployment model. Most customers use the on-premise solution for cloud-based clusters.

Kafka is a very good solution for log management. If you need anything done related to log management, Kafka can do it. Kafka can also store the data in the brokers. This prevents data loss as well as the duplication of data. It's quite comprehensive.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If the solution could provide a user interface I'd rate it higher. This is important for managing Kafka's clusters on the administration side. It would also be helpful if two to three files could be minimized to one configuration file.

Learn what your peers think about Apache Kafka. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KS
Solution Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good performance when a high throughput is required, but they need to implement a portal

• "The processing power of Apache Kafka is good when you have requirements for high throughput and a large number of consumers."
  • "They need to have a proper portal to do everything because, at this moment, Kafka is lagging in this regard."

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution architect and I used Apache Kafka in this role.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

They need to have a proper portal to do everything because, at this moment, Kafka is lagging in this regard. It could be used to do the preprocessing or the configurations, instead of directly doing it on the queues or the topics. If you look at Solace, for example, they have come up with a portal where you don't need to touch these activities. You don't need to access the platform beyond the portal.

I have used Apache Kafka for between one and one and a half years.

Apache Kafka is stable.

This is certainly a scalable product. There are currently 30 or more people using it but we expect to scale beyond this. It is going to be an enterprise tool within the company.

I am not directly interacting with the service people at this moment. It is limited for now because we are still exploring and effecting our architecture and design, and deciding how to align it with our existing strategy. There is not much progress in this regard and it will take more time.

Prior to working with Apache Kafka, there was no messaging queue system. For many projects, they were using the Azure Event Hub, but it was not serving the purpose. So, we started moving towards Kafka, and that's why we have procured Confluent Kafka.

Several months ago, I stopped working on Apache Kafka. I am now working on Confluent Kafka. It was not my decision to switch solutions.

My current organization has chosen Confluent Kafka for various reasons. One is that we have a large number of streaming requirements, and Confluent Kafka has one more layer on top of Apache Kafka to do this transformation and connecting with other multiple lane systems.

There are out-of-the-box features along with the KSQL features. For example, things like fetching the events are kind of query-based. So, that seems to be a good feature for our requirements. That is why we ultimately procured Confluent Kafka.

For some time, I have also worked with Solace and it has an advantage. Given that my core strength is integration, I work with integration platforms such as MuleSoft, Azure functions, then TIBCO. Based on our requirements, I found that the event-driven APA implementation with Solace was easier.

Solace also has a top-notch solution for portal management and you register your producers, consumers, and preprocessing logic. All of these things are pretty easy to do. This is an area where Kafka could use some enhancement.

I don't think that the initial setup was a complex process.

MQ messaging systems are not my core strength but for any integration platform where we have a large number of APIs and events, to integrate with an IoT platform, for example, I found Kafka is better than ActiveMQ.

I'm not getting into in MQTT or other things but comparatively, when you compare ActiveMQ and Kafka, Kafka has done better.

What other advice do I have?

I think that many people are using Apache Kafka just as a publishing and subscription model, but I feel that Kafka is better than that. Furthermore, Confluent Kafka is even more than that.

Confluent Kafka is offering features that are equal to those of a data lake. You can do lots with data, and huge data can be persisted. However, many people are not using that feature. Rather than make use of persistence logic, they are pushing the messages and consuming them. Maybe if people were using it for persistence, they would see the impact or real power of Kafka.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

DP
Sr Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Effective stream API, useful consumer groups, and highly scalable

• "The most valuable features are the stream API, consumer groups, and the way that the scaling takes place."
  • "would like to see real-time event-based consumption of messages rather than the traditional way through a loop. The traditional messaging system works by listing and looping with a small wait to check to see what the messages are. A push system is where you have something that is ready to receive a message and when the message comes in and hits the partition, it goes straight to the consumer versus the consumer having to pull. I believe this consumer approach is something they are working on and may come in an upcoming release. However, that is message consumption versus message listening."

What is our primary use case?

One of our clients needed to take events out of SAP to stream them through Apache Kafka while applying data enrichment before reaching the consumers.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution can handle more speed and has horizontal scalability for both messaging, but more specifically stream processing and data enrichment. By using this solution it can reduce the number of components required in the tech stack. For example, we were taking data events out of SAP and sending them to consumers without having to go through multiple processors that were outside of the KAFKA space. Additionally, we are using Kafka from GoldenGate to propagate database updates in real-time.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the stream API, consumer groups, and the way that the scaling takes place.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see real-time event-based consumption of messages rather than the traditional way through a loop. The traditional messaging system works by listing and looping with a small wait to check to see what the messages are. A push system is where you have something that is ready to receive a message and when the message comes in and hits the partition, it goes straight to the consumer versus the consumer having to pull. I believe this consumer approach is something they are working on and may come in an upcoming release. However, that is message consumption versus message listening.

Confluent created the KSQL language, but they gave it to the open-source community. I would like to see KSQL be able to be used on raw data versus structured and semi-structured data.

I have been using this solution for approximately one year.

The solution is stable.

I have found the Apache Kafka to be highly scalable

The project we were working on was open-source, we were using Confluent as support and they were great.

Apache Kafka on AWS is a bit complex. There is a third-party company called Confluent and they have the support that makes their installation much easier, especially for the on-premise deployment. You install Apache Kafka alone it can be a little complex compared to other queuing messaging solutions.

The on-premise deployment takes approximately a few days. The cloud or hybrid deployments including all the permissions, typologies, firewalls, and networking configuration can take weeks for all the accessibility issues to be resolved. However, the delay could have been client-related and not necessarily the solution.

We provide the implementation service.

Apache Kafka is free. My clients were using Confluent which provides high-quality support and services, and it was relatively expensive for our client. There was a lot of back and forth on negotiating the price.

Confluent has an offering that has Cloud-Based pricing. There are different packages, prices, and capabilities. The highest level being the most expensive. AWS provides services to their market, for example, to have Kafka running. I do not know what the pricing is and I am fairly confident, Azure and GCP provide similar services.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others wanting to implement this solution is to start with data streaming projects, not simple messaging projects because while it is very good at general-purpose messaging, it is more suited and geared for when you are using it as a streaming solution.

I rate Apache Kafka an eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
MS
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, free to use, and offers good stream processing

• "The stream processing is a very valuable aspect of the solution for us."
  • "The solution could always add a few more features to enhance its usage."

What is our primary use case?

Apache Kafka is used for stream processing, metric and log aggregations, and as a message queue for connecting different microservices.

What is most valuable?

The stream processing is a very valuable aspect of the solution for us.

What needs improvement?

Due to the fact that the solution is open source, it has a zookeeper dependency. If I could change anything about the solution, it would be that.

The solution could always add a few more features to enhance its usage.

I've been with the company for at least one year, which is for how long I've been using the solution.

The stability of the solution is very good, even for large enterprise-level organizations. It's quite reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches that affect it. The solution doesn't crash.

The solution is scalable, however, it's a 50/50 endeavor. It may require some management to build it out.

The solution is open source, so there isn't technical support per se. The open-source community that surrounds the technology, however, is very good.

That said, our company provides technical support to our clients if they need it. It's 24/7 support and we try to reply within 20 minutes of receiving a request.

Some of our clients are using Apache, while others are using other solutions. It depends on the company and its unique requirements.

The difficulty or simplicity of the initial setup varies. It really depends on the organization and its requirements and infrastructure.

Deployment times vary. It can be up to a week in production, however, with some products online, some services can be deployed within minutes.

When you have already deployed the solution, and it's installed, it doesn't require very much maintenance. If it needs any, my company handles it for our clients. We have an entire team that can work on it.

The solution is open source; it's free to use.

What other advice do I have?

What happens in our company is a little different. We basically provide services to other companies through Kafka, like our management services. It doesn't necessarily mean we're using the solution ourselves, however, we will be going and deploying Kafka for companies, like a systems integrator.

The version of the solution is normally 2.4, however, it depends on the requirements. Our cloud providers are always different due to the fact that the countries that we work with are all different. For example, in the US it could Amazon, Azure, or Google. It varies.

I'd advise other organizations considering using the solution to make sure they understand what the use case is. They need to know what their services will be and if they will be directed to Apache Kafka.

From a customer perspective, potential companies need to make sure they have an idea of how big it's going to be due to the fact that it's a cluster environment. It needs to be taken care of. Customers will need to know things like what is the message rate is which is coming into Kafka and how they will connect all those different microservices or any services together to Kafka.

From an infrastructure perspective, it's more of how big of a cluster a company needs. Who would be the producers to produce it, and who's the consumer who's consuming the data are a few questions that need to be asked.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Mario Estrada
CTO at Estrada & Consultores
Great scalability with a high throughput and a helpful online community

• "The solution is very easy to set up."
  • "While the solution scales well and easily, you need to understand your future needs and prep for the peaks."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for upstreaming messages with different payload for our applications ranging from iOT, Food delivery and patient monitoring.

For example for one solution we have a real-time location finding, whereby a customer for the food delivery solution wants to know, where his or her order is on a map. The delivery person's mobile phone would start publishing its location to Kafka, and then Kafka processes it, and then publishes it to subscribers, or, in this case, the customer. It allows them to see information in real-time almost instantly.

How has it helped my organization?

Apache Kafka has became our main component on almost all our distributed solutions. It has helped us to delivery fast distributing messages to our customer's applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution is good for publishing transactions for commercial solutions whereby a duplicate will not affect any part of the system.

The solution is very easy to set up.

The stability is very good.

There's an online community available that can help answer questions or troubleshoot problems.

The scalability of Kafka is very good.

It provides high throughput.

What needs improvement?

Kafka can allow for duplicates, which isn't as helpful in some of our scenarios. They need to work on their duplicate management capabilities but for now developers should ensure idempotent operations for such scenarios.

I've been using the solution for four years so far.

The stability is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

Scaling is not really a problem with Kafka. We have used Kubernetes clusters and it is working very well. It scales up and down, almost automatically almost unnoticeable to the consumers, based upon our configuration. Kafka is just one pod inside of our cluster that scales horizontally.

We have a couple of customers that also have vertical scaling, meaning that, there's more CPU, more memory available to the Kafka pod.

For Kafka, we don't actually require support from the company. We usually have people experienced in-house and sometimes we just ask in the community.

The initial setup is easy. The majority of the tools today are really very easy to configure and setup. Docker Containers and Kubernetes, actually, have made life easier for architects as well as developers.

Nowadays, you just install the container, and then you don't have to really manage the internals at libraries, OS levels, et cetera. You just run the container. Everything is containerized.

Apache Kafka is OpenSource, you can set it up in your own Kubernetes cluster or subscribe to Kafka providers online as a service.

What other advice do I have?

New users should understand the product capabilities. Often, people will start putting their hands in new products without knowing the capabilities and the disadvantages in specific scenarios. In our case for example, We haven't used Kafka for financial transaction processing, for which we still use IBM MQ, but It really depends upon your knowledge and experience with the product. My advice is to understand the product very well, its pros and cons and work from there.

Finally I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
JJ
Technology Lead at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A cost-effective solution for high volume, multi-source data collection

• "The most valuable feature is that it can handle high volume."
  • "Kafka does not provide control over the message queue, so we do not know whether we are experiencing lost or duplicate messages."

What is our primary use case?

Our company provides services and we use Apache Kafka as part of the solution that we provide to clients.

One of the use cases is to collect all of the data from multiple endpoints and provide it to the users. Our application integrates with Kafka as a consumer using the API, and then sends information to the users who connect.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it can handle high volume.

Apache Kafa is open-source and some of our clients are interested in becoming more involved in that.

What needs improvement?

Kafka does not provide control over the message queue, so we do not know whether we are experiencing lost or duplicate messages. Better control over the message queue would be an improvement. Solutions such as ActiveMQ do afford better control. Because of this, there is sometimes a gap in the results where we have either lost messages, or there are duplicates.

We have had problems when there was an imbalance because all of the messages were being sent back.

I'm a beginner with Apache Kafka.

I cannot judge stability without having better control over the message queue, although I feel that it is not 100% stable.

We have not been in contact with technical support. For our first implementation with it, Kafka was already set up and running. When we did our PoC, I was not part of the team who was facing issues and it was they who were in contact with support.

I also have experience with IBM MQ.

We had problems when we were setting up Kafka ourselves to conduct our PoC internally. Kafka would not start and it was related to parameters or property settings in Java. We were able to work around it, but we had problems like adding certificates.

In one case, we were using Kafka after it had already been set up, externally. It worked fine and we just had to configure some of the connectors that we wanted to try out.

Apache Kafka is open-source and can be used free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

In this type of solution, you need to be able to accept a high volume of messages, but not lose any, and not have any duplicates. Because we are unable to control the queue in Kafka, I cannot say that this works 100%.

The suitability of this solution depends on the use cases. There are two or three things that we are worried about, and we will be very careful in choosing solutions. In cases where the messages are well organized, or there is no worry that there will be duplicate or dropped messages, then I recommend using Kafka. Also, I recommend this solution for those looking to get involved with open-source applications.

Other than the problems with having no control over the queue, Apache Kafka is wonderful.

MoulaliNaguri
Project Engineer at Wipro Technologies
Free to use, mature, and offers good scalability

• "It's an open-source product, which means it doesn't cost us anything to use it."
  • "The UI is based on command line. It would be helpful if they could come up with a simpler user interface."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for big data. We often get a million messages per second, and with such a high output we use Kafka to help us handle it.

What is most valuable?

When we're working with big data, we need a throughput computing panel, which is something that Kafka provides, and something we find extremely valuable. It helps us support computing and ensures there's no loss of data. It can even do replication with some data.

The delivery of data is it's most valuable aspect.

It's an easy to use product overall.

The solution is quite mature.

It's an open-source product, which means it doesn't cost us anything to use it.

What needs improvement?

We're still going through the solution. Right now, I can't suggest any features that might be missing. I don't see where there can be an improvement in that regard.

The speed isn't as fast as RabbitMQ, even though the solution touts itself as very quick. It could be faster. They should work to make it at least as fast as RabbitMQ.

The UI is based on command line. It would be helpful if they could come up with a simpler user interface.

They should make it easier to configure items on the solution.

The solution would benefit from the addition of better monitoring tools.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is a bit slow in comparison to RabbitMQ. It's supposed to be a very fast solution, and it has okay performance, but speed-wise, it's quite slow.

The scaling of the solution is quite good.

In terms of technical support, we don't get that directly from Apache Kafka. We have certain cloud data distribution so we get assistance from our cloud data support.

We're continuously deploying the product. We're still in the process of deployment.

It's an open-source product, so the pricing isn't an issue. It's free to use. We don't have costs associated with it.

I'm not the product owner, so I didn't have a say in what should be chosen. We were seeing a high throughput with Kafka which is why we ultimately chose it.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's good at scaling, and, performance-wise, it's excellent. If they could add upon the UI and allow for easier configuration, I'd rate them higher.