KamleshKhollam
Consultant at Exusia
Good performance and resource management for hosting our data science platform

• "The processing time is very much improved over the data warehouse solution that we were using."
  • "I would like to see integration with data science platforms to optimize the processing capability for these tasks."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for Apache Spark was a retail price prediction project. We were using retail pricing data to build predictive models. To start, the prices were analyzed and we created the dataset to be visualized using Tableau. We then used a visualization tool to create dashboards and graphical reports to showcase the predictive modeling data.

Apache Spark was used to host this entire project.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the storage engine, the memory engine, and the processing engine.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Apache Spark for the past year.

We have not been in contact with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. It took us around one week to set it up, and then the requirements and creation of the project flow and design needed to be done. The design stage took three to four weeks, so in total, it required between four and five weeks to set up.

What other advice do I have?

GA
Senior Solutions Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
A unified analytics engine with a valuable parallel processing feature

• "I like that it can handle multiple tasks parallelly. I also like the automation feature. JavaScript also helps with the parallel streaming of the library."
  • "The logging for the observability platform could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use Apache Spark to prepare data for transformation and encryption, depending on the columns. We use AES-256 encryption. We're building a proof of concept at the moment. We prepare patches on Spark for Kubernetes on-premise and Google Cloud Platform.

What is most valuable?

I like that it can handle multiple tasks parallelly. I also like the automation feature. JavaScript also helps with the parallel streaming of the library.

What needs improvement?

The logging for the observability platform could be better.

I know about this technology for a long time, maybe for about three years.

Because my area is data analytics and analytics solutions, I use BigQuery, SQL, and ETL. I also use Dataproc and DataFlow.

We use an integrator sometimes, but recently we put together a team to support the infrastructural requirements. This is because the proof of concept is self-administered.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Apache Spark to new users, but it depends on the use case. Sometimes, it's not the best solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Apache Spark a ten.