Apache Spark Streaming OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Apache Spark Streaming is the #9 ranked solution in our list of Streaming Analytics tools. It is most often compared to Amazon Kinesis: Apache Spark Streaming vs Amazon Kinesis

What is Apache Spark Streaming?

Spark Streaming makes it easy to build scalable fault-tolerant streaming applications.

Apache Spark Streaming is also known as Spark Streaming.

Download the Streaming Analytics Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Apache Spark Streaming Customers
UC Berkeley AMPLab, Amazon, Alibaba Taobao, Kenshoo, eBay Inc.
Apache Spark Streaming Video

Apache Spark Streaming Reviews

Oscar Estorach
Chief Data-strategist and Director at theworkshop.es
Mature and stable with good scalability

• "The solution is very stable and reliable."
  • "The solution itself could be easier to use."

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable and reliable. It's quite mature.

The solution scales very well.

What needs improvement?

The installation is difficult. You definitely need more than one person. That said, if you are implementing the cloud, it's easier.

The solution itself could be easier to use.

The solution is free to use as it is open-source.

I've used the solution for a while. I use it every day. However, it depends on the project.

The solution is stable. It's not a new tool. It's quite mature. It's been on the market for many years. We found that especially version 3.0.1 is a good, stable version.

The solution is quite scalable. It is the most scalable tool that I have seen before.

We have five people using the solution.

I did not previously use a different solution. I've been working in data warehousing for around 20 years ago and I used a batch system that used Oracle Database and is not a scalable system like Spark.

The initial setup is quite involved. Streaming is a huge system. It's different. You need to use another part of the code, however, it's not extremely much. People who work in data need to micro-batch. You need other tools, such as Hadoop or Data Lake, or Kafka to control the data.

It's not easy to install. Not all products are open-source. It is not easy to implement on-premise as you need maybe two technical persons to maintain the system. If you put it in the cloud, it's easier.

It's less expensive to use the cloud. Using on-premises is more costly. Spark is open-source and doesn't actually cost us anything.

What other advice do I have?

It's cheaper for companies to use cloud systems, however, you can implement it on-premise.

We use the cloud. As it is the cloud, it's always on the latest version and updates itself regularly.

I would rate the product at a nine out of ten. It's very good in terms of its capabilities and I have been very happy with it.

I would recommend the solution to other users.

VK
Chief Innovation & Technology Leader at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Efficient, better then average, but overly developer-focused

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the solution is to implement predictive maintenance qualities.

What is most valuable?

The solution is better than average and some of the valuable features include efficiency and stability.

What needs improvement?

There could be an improvement in the area of the user configuration section, it should be less developer-focused and more business user-focused. For example, it is still not plug and play and use as some of the cloud offerings that come ready to use. It is not up there in the reading leading edge.

I have been using this solution for approximately one and a half year.

The solution is very stable.

How was the initial

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for approximately one and a half year.

The solution is very stable.

The initial setup is developer-focused but it is not very complex. I can set up a stream in less than an hour. It will stream but It will not be a production-ready stream.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Apache Spark Streaming a six out of ten.

Microsoft Azure