Apache Web Server Overview

Apache Web Server is the #12 ranked solution in our list of top Application Infrastructure tools. It is most often compared to IIS: Apache Web Server vs IIS

What is Apache Web Server?

The Apache HTTP Server Project was founded in 1995 by a group of webmasters, known as The Apache Group, with the aim of developing robust, richly-featured, freely-available and commercial-standard Web (HTTP) server source code. The result was Apache Web Server or Apache HTTP Server, which is an open-source public-domain web server.

This collaborative project has been enhanced ever since with contributions from the core development team and other volunteers situated all over the globe. Also, hundreds of users of this open-source web server have contributed code, ideas, and documentation. The project falls under The Apache Software Foundation, which manages many open-source projects.

Apache Web Server is also known as Apache HTTP Server.

Download the Application Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Apache Web Server Customers
Cisco, Intuit, General Electric, Adobe, VMware, PayPal, HP, EMC, eBay, Apple, SAP, Qualcomm, SanDisk, Allstate, FedEx
Apache Web Server Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Apache Web Server pricing:
  • "The apache software is free, open-source."

Senior Administrator at IMCC ( Tejarat Iran Mall )
Has good security, speed and traffic handling features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is as a web server, but we have other uses and how it is deployed depends on our scenario. We have 40 websites that are related to our company now, and for some of them, we have a serious problem with threats, attacks, and preventing the attacks. Because of this we often use Apache. The throughput is important for us. The locks and the reports are really important for us. Because of this, we install a Web Server with the ability to handle the reports and analysis. Depending on the situation and the scenario, we use different solutions. For example, with our switches, our… more »

• "It is more secure to use Apache and you will have fewer problems than other web services."
  • "The GUI for the less experienced users needs some improvement. For some companies, it is hard to configure it if they have not had any experience."

What other advice do I have?

Of course, I would recommend this service because we have had a good experience with it. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Apache Web Server as an eight.
CF
VP at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use and quick to deploy with good security

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for deployment. We use it for our internet banking portal.

• "The solution offers good security."
  • "Things change very fast. We're always on the lookout for better approaches and tools. If the solution falls behind, we may have to switch."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We are an end-user of Apache. We haven't done any recent upgrades and therefore aren't likely using the latest version of the solution currently. So far we are still exploring to see what are the best or the more cost-effective tools for us to integrate as there are so many properties we need to integrate with different protocols. So, we are still exploring, looking for the best approach. I'd recommend the solution. Overall, I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We've been mostly happy with that product so far.
Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Zend, Microsoft and others in Application Infrastructure. Updated: May 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior System Design Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A stable solution that is cost-effective and straightforward to deploy

What is our primary use case?

I am currently using Apache Web Server and it is integrated with Apache JMeter and Tomcat. I run these solutions in a virtualized environment that is in a private cloud, on-premises. We are a solution provider and our primary use case is creating web servers on core banking systems.

• "The best thing about Apache is that it is open-source, so implementing my platform on-premises is less expansive than other solutions."
  • "It would be great if technical support for Apache were available in Iran. It is a very important need."

What other advice do I have?

The first point of using these services is that you have to use scripts for deploying the web servers on the systems. They can be effectively used in many platforms and deployed for heavy duties, but tuning and improving them requires some work. Automating with scripts will help to save some time. My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to deploy it on a Linux-based server and follow the best practices. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
GK
Information Security Consultant to the CRO at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Can be done in a cluster configuration and is very scalable

What is our primary use case?

I have used it for PHP web servers and also as a proxy for Java application servers. I have used the Apache model for the Java infrastructure.

• "Its community is its most valuable feature. Solving problems is easier on Apache because so many people know this product."
  • "A monitoring interface would be great for this product. The monitoring dashboards for Apache's models are not included in the basic installation. You can install the basic monitoring model, then connect this model to another monitoring system."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others. I would rate this solution as a nine (out of 10).
Product Categories
Application Infrastructure
Download our free Application Infrastructure Report and find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Zend, Microsoft, and more!