Apiary OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Apiary is the #12 ranked solution in our list of top API Management tools. It is most often compared to SwaggerHub: Apiary vs SwaggerHub

What is Apiary?

Apiary's pioneering APIFlow solution provides the framework and tools for developing application programming interfaces (APIs) that share enterprise services and data and help create modern, cloud-based applications and experiences. APIFlow spans the API creation lifecycle, including design, governance, testing, and documentation, while supporting API Blueprint and OpenAPI industry standardsץ

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Apiary Customers

Microsoft, salesforce.com, Bloomberg, GoodData, Viacom, Akamai Technologies, DigitalGlobe

Apiary Video

Archived Apiary Reviews (more than two years old)

VR
Technical Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers authentication and enables us to develop communication points but it could be more user-friendly

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is that it offers authentication and allows us to develop communication points. I do like the overall performance of the solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in the access to portals. It should be more user-friendly. I also think the delivery patches should be updated more often.

I've been using the solution for about a year now.

I don't think this solution is very stable so we try to manage stability from our side. Also, the Oracle release cycle is very bad because the patches update only once a year.

The solution is scalable enough on the…

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about a year now.

The solution is scalable enough on the level that we operate, so we are satisfied with the level of scalability it offers.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup was not complex at all; it was really straightforward. Deployment took us only a few hours as we have our own IT team who is responsible for it. Every week we deploy a specific life cycle for the release plan point of it. Therefore we don't have many problems as we do a real-time deployment. At the moment we only have one person responsible for the deployment and maintenance of API.

We are partners of this solution and we used our own IT team to take care of the installation and deployment.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle is stable, so I would recommend it to others but because it is not very user-friendly, I will only rate it a seven out of ten.

marksimpson
Development Director at Griffiths Waite
Produces human-readable API definitions and integrates easily with GitHub

• "I find the generation of mock services very useful, especially when demonstrating for new consumers."
  • "I would like an integrated option to download a Swagger version of the definition."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Apiary to design APIs that we offer to our customers, brokers, and partners for insurance products. We use the product in concert with the Oracle API Platform and surface (and style) the documentation in a custom JavaScript Dev Portal. The customer's developers leverage the mock resources, the documentation, code snippets, and attribute definitions.

How has it helped my organization?

Apiary has allowed us to produce human-readable API definitions as well as provide a common place for developers to retrieve the resource endpoints, JSON schemas, and documentation. The business-friendly definitions have allowed developers to work more closely with business stakeholders to ensure they use the APIs in the correct way.

What is most valuable?

I find the generation of mock services very useful, especially when demonstrating for new consumers. I also like how you can document many viewpoints for the same resource and easily let users navigate through these in the rendered definition.

Reuse of objects within the editor, and how easy it is to add enumerations, are also valuable features.

The ease of integration with GitHub, allowing multiple versions to run concurrently, is also an important feature.

What needs improvement?

I would like an integrated option to download a Swagger version of the definition. Currently, you can download an API Blueprint file that can be converted using other tools into OpenAPI or Swagger; however, built-in support would be ideal.

We have also used other utilities for rendering the API Blueprint, such as Agilo, for offline documentation. It would be nice if there were an option for offline documentation within the product.

One year.

I have not experienced any downtime in the Apiary cloud.

We embed the Apiary documentation in our custom developer portal and do not see scalability issues. We have seen that it is sometimes slow to render large projects, but this is not noticeable by the API consumers.

Most questions are answered and product issues have been raised under the API Platform support product.

Prior to this solution, we used Swagger and manual documentation.

It is very quick and easy to get started.

We implemented this solution in-house, relying on GitHub and Wiki pages for support on the MSON schema used by Apiary.

This solution has allowed us to standardize API definitions and bring consistency into our shared components. This has reduced the effort and cost of using functionality across domains within the organization. The ROI on shared services is predicated on a good API strategy, for which Apiary is crucial.

It is easy to get started with personal (free) accounts, but a subscription is required for additional features. These include protecting access to the documentation, linking to GitHub, and sharing editing rights amongst the team.

We have a set number of users with each API Platform subscription that we have with Oracle, and this meets our needs.

We looked at tools to document Swagger and considered using a combination of Confluence Wiki and Postman. Ultimately, we chose this solution.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, SmartBear, Google and others in API Management. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MichaelSukachev
Enterprise Architect at Teranet, INC.
A quick and easy way to share a new API design with teams

• "Quick and easy way to share a new API design with teams."
  • "Git integration"
  • "In two years, there was one time the service was down for an hour or so."
  • "Swagger (OpenAPI Specification) and Blueprint Support"

What is most valuable?

• Swagger (OpenAPI Specification) and Blueprint Support
  • Git integration
  • Role-based access

How has it helped my organization?

Quick and easy way to share a new API design with teams.

While the implementation team is working on actual API code, others that need to use it can use the API definition on the Apiary for their tests.

What needs improvement?

Better Swagger support.

Two years.

In two years, there was one time the service was down for an hour or so.

There was no need to involve customer service.

Very good. When project-specific questions are asked, the comprehensive answer will be provided in around 24 hours.

No, it was the first API management solution we used.

The whole setup is for users and Git integration, so there are not too many setup tasks.

It was an in-house implementation

Quick ROI in our case.

• There is a free subscription option to start and try the service.
  • Standard subscription is $99 for 10 users per month.

Swagger UI, Apigee, and Mashery.

Mostly, price versus features played a big role in selection.