Apigee OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Apigee is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top API Management tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure API Management: Apigee vs Microsoft Azure API Management

What is Apigee?

Apigee Edge, the self-service API management platform, enables companies to secure, scale, manage, and analyze their digital business, and grow API programs to meet the increase in demand. Edge enables enterprises to design and build the APIs that securely share their services and data.

Key capabilities of the Apigee Edge API management platform include:

• Security: protect APIs, messages, and backends with configurable policies such as OAuth, API key verification, XML/JSON threat protection, access control.
  • API gateway: secure and mediate the traffic between clients and backends, and between a company’s APIs and the developers, customers, partners, and employees who use the APIs.
  • Developer portal: attract and engage application developers, enabling them to discover, explore, purchase (or profit from), and test APIs and register to access and use the APIs.
  • API lifecycle management: manage the process of designing, developing, publishing, deploying, and versioning APIs.
Apigee Buyer's Guide

Download the Apigee Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Apigee Customers

Adobe, advance.net, Amadeus, AT&T, Bechtel, Belly, Burberry, Chegg, Citrix, Dell, eBay, Equifax, GameStop, First Data, Globe, HCSC, Intralinks, Kao, Meredith, Mitchell, Orange, Pearson

Apigee Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Apigee pricing:
  • "The cost of the licensing is based on the number of API calls that are made."

Apigee Reviews

HA
Director System Architecture at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Highly available, easy to configure and use, and it includes disaster recovery

• "Anyone with basic knowledge can build an API."
  • "Apigee is demanding on the infrastructure so the setup cost is very high for an on-premises deployment."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We also it it ourselves.

Our use case involves accessing functions on our backend systems through a portal used on mobile devices. The app on the mobile device uses the internet portal, and we have the API as a security layer to pass the functions through to the backend.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to implement and the configuration of the API is very simple.

It is easy to upload a Swagger file and build an API.

The user interface for building APIs is very simple. Anyone with basic knowledge can build an API.

Disaster recovery capabilities are included.

What needs improvement?

We have been working with Google Apigee for almost one year.

Apigee has high availability and we have not faced any problems in regards to stability.

We have not had to scale as of yet. Our license allows for 125 million messages and we have not yet reached that stage.

We have been in contact with technical support and we are fully satisfied. I would say that they go out of their way to support us. For a priority-one issue, Google commits to having it resolved within 24 hours.

There are also community blogs where you can find other people that are working with it. These are independent sources and people where we can get information about implementation as well as customization.

A new version is released every six months and if we don't upgrade in one and a half years, the old version will be deprecated or be out of support. For example, they recently upgraded the Edge UI. The old one was not integrating with Active Directory to allow for centralized control of users. However, the new one requires authentication from ADFS before implementing it, which was a feature that was previously lacking.

The entire set of documentation is available online. You can follow it step-by-step to install the application.

We have an in-house team that handles deployment and maintenance.

It is administered by two people and we have another person to handle the analytics.

The cost of the licensing is based on the number of API calls that are made. This is good because we don't pay for the number of nodes that we are installing. They also do not charge you for non-production transactions, which is extremely good.

Everything else is included as a package. For example, ZooKeeper, Cassandra, and PostgreSQL are part of the product, so we don't need to purchase any additional licenses apart from the OS.

We had evaluated Software AG at the same time as Apigee. The initial setup cost for an on-premises deployment of Software AG is less than that of Apigee. For example, if I require four cores to operate Apigee then it would be a two-core system for Software AG.

We chose Apigee because of its high availability and disaster recovery. Google Apigee uses ZooKeeper with an unstructured Cassandra database. This is different from Software AG, which uses a structured database like Oracle. Having to purchase Oracle licenses increases the cost.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Apigee is that it is has a very easy and intuitive GUI to build APIs, and I can also import Swagger files. It is built on a high availability model, so if anything goes down then another node will automatically take over. We can build an active-active across the DR site.

The primary site is active, the DR site is active, and they are synchronized. It is easy to build, customize, install, and implement.

The support is also extremely good. We get immediate responses and support is available every day of the week. Google commits on the resolution time for priority-one issues as 24 hours. No other software today can commit to resolution time. I have only seen such a service with Google Apigee.

Overall, I am satisfied with this product and it is aligned to all of my needs.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

SM
Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Flexible API management and analytics that can be built out to fit varied needs

• "The opportunity for customization is really vast and it is a really good feature built into the product."
  • "It has all the features necessary to work in anything from a basic scenario to advanced applications."
  • "The setup and installation process could be improved with a container-based system."

What is our primary use case?

It is a Google cloud solution for API management and analytics.

What is most valuable?

I have not had the opportunity to completely explore the product's capabilities in the time that we have been using it. But I can say that the customization is really vast and it is a really good feature built into the product. I can customize different authentication methods and methods for authorization. I can also use redaction. So security is flexible to our needs and it works well.

What needs improvement?

It is a user-friendly solution, but it would help if Google could provide a container-based solution instead of just a standalone one. With a container-based deployment and support for Terraform, it would be better for our deployments and that would be great. Right now we have to configure different areas manually. Some areas can be automated, but the deployments are not as fully automated as they could be otherwise.

so, they currently have a software as a service offering or a standalone offering. I want to see something like a hybrid cloud deployment. I also want to see a private cloud deployment.

We are still building out the environment. We are running four environments until we accept that it is fully tested. So we are not live yet and we will really go live and into production sometime in the first quarter of next year. But we have been using Apigee within the last 12 months for testing purposes.

The scalability of the product is good. Our use case is right now is applied in only one environment. When we are about to go to production, we will probably do high-availability testing with a dual environment so we can come up with any potential scalability issues. But for now, we have not really touched that area in our testing.

We do have a lot of people using Apigee already. This is the primary gateway for us to talk to external applications. I would say that services around 800- 900 applications which are using the gateways. That is also involving many teams and end-users who access those applications.

My recommendation for installations is that the product installation, set up and delivery process could be improved. It is straightforward in the initial steps. The part which is automated by Google is very straightforward. The remaining part, we have to do manually. The remaining components have to be manually configured. If Google were to do a container offering of this solution, then adopting it would be seamless because everything would be able to be automated.

I would say that it currently takes too long to set up and deploy and that it is not as short a time to complete the process as it should be. It is more mediocre, somewhere in the middle, and has moderate difficulty instead of being seamless and simple.

We did not have to use an integrator, reseller, or a consultant for deployment. It was all done in house by our own teams.

We tried Axway API gateway and we also tried MuleSoft. We found that these solutions did not fit our scenario as well as Apigee because our scenario is a very special scenario where we want to keep everything that we already have on board. In our current situation, we have big AWS (Amazon Web Services) accounts and a big AWS footprint. So we want to also be able to use AWS for Apigee hosting. That is where our environment and needs become a little bit of a custom scenario. Apigee works for us in this scenario and that is why we ultimately went with Apigee over other products.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product over any other products available in the market in this category. It has all the features necessary to work in anything from a basic scenario to advanced applications. So I find that everything in it is flexible and available in this one product. Because of that I highly recommend it to anyone.

On a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Apigee around an eight out-of-ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SS
Senior Software Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Overall quite good with great stability and scalability

• "The stability of the solution is good. There aren't issues surrounding bugs or glitches. We don't find that it crashes or freezes. It's pretty reliable."
  • "The solution tends to hide the limitations to keep selling the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for all of our security. There are a few use cases for us where we use it to protect API to third parties.

What is most valuable?

The solution, overall, is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The product has a few restrictions I'd prefer weren't there.

We have trouble finding use cases. For example, when we google "data locator" we can't find a use case scenario at all. We can't find more than, approximately, five use cases, however, we need more.

We needed to do more than 20 configurations, and we weren't able to do that as the limit is 20 on the solution.

The solution tends to hide the limitations to keep selling the product. I can't blame them for doing it, however, it makes it difficult for those of us who eventually sign on.

The solution is expensive.

I've been dealing with the solution for close to three years at this point.

The scalability of the solution is okay. If a company needs to scale it, it should be able to do so.

Currently, we only have about ten people on our team that use it.

We haven't found the technical support to be that good, to be honest. We're not completely satisfied with the level of service.

We're currently using IBM Connect as well as Azure. Functionality-wise, there aren't too many differences. One is on-premises, however, therefore it's really difficult to compare both together. With IBM, you have to maintain a few more things. There are more administrative tasks.

The initial setup wasn't straightforward. It was complex due to the fact that Apigee didn't have any integrations and we had IBM APA Connect Resources.

There were many things we weren't told earlier. Once you clear certain items you can't change the name, for example. There were a few other items, like monitoring, which had a limited number of configurations which was an issue.

Deployment was fairly quick. It only took five minutes or so.

The solution is not a cheap product. Licensing can be quite expensive.

Our contract is around $2 million for three years.

We don't have a clear picture how the billing works. We have one service package of one size and yet we don't have a clear picture of the purchase or the status or if they will charge more due to earlier limits on services. The solution needs to make licensing more clear. Even if they charged us $10,000 or even $20,000 more but they were clear about the what and the why, we'd be okay with that. We'd just like to know.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

We are removing our IBM products and transition completely over to Apigee.

We have Azure's API as well. In next one year or two year, we are going to dissolve IBM API Connect as well as Azure CIM and move everything to Apigee.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate Apigee at an eight. We'd rate it higher, however, they aren't clear on their offering. We just want everything automated and easy. The cost is not the issue. The lack of information is.

I'd recommend the solution. It's a nice product and companies should go ahead with it, so long as they are okay with the pricing, as it is rather expensive. If a company is cost-consious, IBM API Connect may be better as the licensing costs are lower.

Tolulope Adeniji
Technical Lead - Integration/Middleware at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A very stable platform with automated installation and useful proxy, security, and traffic control features

• "We have been using Apigee mostly for proxy FGIs. We also use its security features as well as traffic control features."
  • "In terms of the functionalities of a typical API gateway, Apigee is actually doing its job, but when it involves integration with backend applications, which some gateways have, I don't believe it has this functionality. You have to do Java or do some other low-level coding before you are able to do the integration. Apigee has a lot of components, which means that management will be a bit difficult. It probably has ten different components, and all of these components leverage open-source utilities, such as NGINX. When those open-source vendors upgrade their utility, Apigee usually lags behind because they need to do a lot of tests and any required development in their own platform. They need to do rigorous testing to make sure that nothing breaks. Because of that, it takes them a while to upgrade whatever components have been upgraded by the open-source vendor that owns the utility. We've been chasing them for a particular upgrade for well over a year and a half, and they have not done that upgrade. It is creating a security risk for us as an enterprise, but that upgrade has not been done, even though the open-source vendor, the owner of the utility, has upgraded it a long time ago."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a developer as well as an architect. We have internal clients as well as external clients. We have other teams within the enterprise that use this platform. They do development, and sometimes, we do development for them. Then we host these solutions in the same infrastructure. We also have external clients who want to integrate their applications with us.

How has it helped my organization?

We've been having point-to-point connections with external vendors. It has actually helped us to be able to integrate our internal applications with external vendors. It is more like a single point of entry into the enterprise. Initially, we used to have the vendor directly interact with the application owners, but now, we come in between as an integration partner for external vendors. All integration has to go through us, which makes management as well as security simpler.

What is most valuable?

We have been using Apigee mostly for proxy FGIs. We also use its security features as well as traffic control features.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the functionalities of a typical API gateway, Apigee is actually doing its job, but when it involves integration with backend applications, which some gateways have, I don't believe it has this functionality. You have to do Java or do some other low-level coding before you are able to do the integration.

Apigee has a lot of components, which means that management will be a bit difficult. It probably has ten different components, and all of these components leverage open-source utilities, such as NGINX. When those open-source vendors upgrade their utility, Apigee usually lags behind because they need to do a lot of tests and any required development in their own platform. They need to do rigorous testing to make sure that nothing breaks. Because of that, it takes them a while to upgrade whatever components have been upgraded by the open-source vendor that owns the utility. We've been chasing them for a particular upgrade for well over a year and a half, and they have not done that upgrade. It is creating a security risk for us as an enterprise, but that upgrade has not been done, even though the open-source vendor, the owner of the utility, has upgraded it a long time ago.

We've been using this solution for four years.

It has been a very stable platform. We've not really had any production issues. We've not had any issues where the production environment went down, and we were not able to use it at all.

We've not really had so many issues. Whenever we had issues, sometimes, they responded quickly, and sometimes, it took them a while to get back to us, but it has not really affected the business because we usually have development issues or issues that don't cause an outage.

It is not straightforward. It has multiple components, so setting it up is not straightforward, but the good thing about this is that they have automated a lot of the setup. It comes as an appliance or in RPM packages that you can install at specific locations in the operating system. So, its installation is easy because it has been automated.

What other advice do I have?

Because of the multiple components it has, if you are trying to implement this in your environment, you need people who are experienced in most of these open-source utilities, such as NGINX, Drupal, OpenAL, etc. You would require someone knowledgeable in those utilities to be able to support the environment.

I would rate Apigee an eight out of ten.

Rajender Reddy
Software Development Manager at Reliance Jio
Has good administration and monitoring features but there are issues with integration

• "There are just a lot of security features in general."
  • "I see some lagging in regards to integration capacity"

What is our primary use case?

We use Apigee every day. Because we have a backend system, we use Apigee to capture and track all of our transactions and for monitoring calls, which is the target for our client service. We then use this information to create a report and provide a price for each transaction. For this reason, we created a proxy that we use as an integration layer, like API management, which helps build applications. For that reason, each and every call goes through Apigee so that we can track and capture all of the information.

What is most valuable?

There are a few features that are quite interesting. We can provide our API developer with an API proxy to the developer portal, which comes in handy. There are also some interesting policies, like authentication where we normally provide any code and quotas and rate limit policies for protection. The administration and monitoring features are also quite useful as you can receive alerts and notifications and monitor them on a virtual dashboard. There are just a lot of security features in general.

With Apigee, we can easily monitor applications, and our core IT team informed me that installing upgrades is very simple. We also have a portal where we can share our proxies with the convenors, which is quite useful.

What needs improvement?

When compared with other products and tools in the market like MuleSoft or other API management solutions, I see some lagging in regards to integration capacity — where we don't have all of the connectors. It's not the perfect ESB, it's only for API management solutions. For example, MuleSoft will provide you with the API management solution as well as ESB, allowing you to integrate with large, complex IT systems. So, there is some lagging there that needs to be fixed.

The main area they should improve is the integration capability. They should have useful connectors that we can use to provide code so that we can integrate with other systems. This needs to be improved.

When compared to other products, such as MuleSoft and other tools in the market, Apigee has some lagging issues.

Over the last three years, we haven't had any issues with the stability, both on-premise and on the cloud. It's a stable solution. We haven't experienced any error-value from the product.

Product-wise, we don't have any technical support, our IT team takes care of it. We also have a number of applications we are managing, but only two recruiters are monitoring them.

It's easy to create proxies in Apigee. Compared to other integration tools, we can quickly and easily export any APIs in Apigee, which saves us a lot of time.

The setup was taken care of by our core IT team, I was part of the development team so all activities relating to the setup, updates, and customer service were handled by the core IT team.

What other advice do I have?

We would definitely recommend Apigee. You can use Apigee to create proxies (and share API proxies with consumers), monitor calls, and provide security for particular endpoints. We have a complete telephone portal under Apigee, I would recommend it.

I would give Apigee a rating of seven or eight out of ten. The API moderation, administration monitoring, product architecture, infrastructure, and overall quality is good. The only area lagging is integration capability.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
AS
Digital Native Product Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Flexible, customizable, and fairly easy to set up

• "The developer portal is very useful to customers."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be improved upon. We'd like it if it was less costly."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for developing and publishing internally IPA (80% of the time). The other 20% of the time the product is used to create and develop an ecosystem with various partners.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients would best be able to speak to that. As we just assist them in the process, it's not on us to divulge such details.

What is most valuable?

The developer portal is very useful to customers.

The mediation aspect of the solution is very good.

Technical support is pretty good. We are pretty happy with their service overall.

The solution is flexible and offers good customization capabilities.

In general, the product isn't too technical.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs something that supports real-time streaming.

Our customers are users of the solution; we don't use it directly.

There are close to 60 users at the moment. They are from the development team, the application team, and managers mostly.

We have not spoken to our clients about increasing usage or scaling the product. I am unsure of their future plans in that regard.

We have used technical support in the past. They have been pretty helpful. There's a mission team that deals with them mostly. I don't have much information beyond that.

I am unsure if our clients used a different solution previously. I don't have access to that information.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex. A company shouldn't have any issues setting everything up.

We did a hybrid deployment, the entire process took us less than a month. It's not a long, drawn-out process.

We are consultants. We can assist our clients with the deployment process if they need help.

The cost structure could be adjusted to make the pricing more reasonable. If they improved, likely they would ope themselves to many more markets.

What other advice do I have?

We don't directly use the solution we are a service company so we help our customers use the product. We are consultants.

I can't say which version of the solution we're using at this time.

I'd advise other organizations that you have value any solution beyond a price comparison with other API management solutions. You will need to look at APS strategies needed in the organization and the importance of creating API products. Once that strategy is laid out you can put the right resources in place. Basically, everyone needs to have a plan first before investing in an API management solution.

In terms of Apigee, more exposure of the platform to wider stakeholders will definitely help in modeling best practice principles into EPA communication and evolution.

I would rate the product at a nine out of ten.

There's always room for improvement. However, it's not heavily technical. There's a lot of flexibility for developers to bring in customization. It's not rigid. If you have a team looking at APS cases, products, and you, how a corresponding APA team strategy, Apigee as a platform is very good. It's quite a comprehensive option.

Hybrid Cloud
BM
Risk Management & Business Continuity Manager at STC Solutions
Great security with good mitigation capabilities and a straightforward setup

• "The security provided by the solution is excellent."
  • "The integration could be improved within the solution. There is a need to pay more attention to this."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Apigee as the API gateway. We also use it for our preparation. We use the API for security and a lot of other tasks. Our customer use cases don't have any legacy systems. We're using Apigee, however, Apigee doesn't provide for a subscribe-publisher capability. It meant Kafka was just to provide the matching capabilities of Apigee. However, mainly we consider this solution as the API gateway and management system.

What is most valuable?

The security provided by the solution is excellent.

It provides for an on-prem setup. That's very important for us. As the regulation of communication policies. To be able to provide the telecom companies that tool and install their products on-prem for easy management via cloud inside Saudi Arabia is great.

The solution provides very good mitigation capabilities.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution could provide publishing capabilities as API middleware.

We've just been using the product for a few months for a new project we are working on. It hasn't been that long.

The solution provides a very stable solution for us.

Our mother company has been using Apigee for maybe five years now. I talk with them about making assessments for selecting an API gateway solution. They didn't have any issues with scalability or monitoring. Apigee was perfect for them. We didn't face any issue with it in terms of scalability or even tenability. It's very easy to scale.

As an integrator, we have about five different clients who use this solution. They have a different number of users.

The technical support for the solution is pretty good. We're satisfied with the level of support Google provides. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

The initial setup isn't complex. The setup configuration offers a very simple approach for developing and deploying services in Apigee. It's straightforward. It's easy for our developers to apply a lot of services while offering a faster time to market.

Apigee is not cheap. It's expensive. At the same time, our company is already buying an enterprise license so any company inside the group can use it. In general, however, it's pricey.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Google.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Whether of not this is a good solution for a company depends on a lot of criteria. The budget itself needs to be considered, for example. Apigee is perfect. They provide good support. People from Google are very cooperative as well. They listen for feedback on features.

They don't provide a partnership to just any company. You need strong criteria to get a partnership and to be able to support and feature the license. I like this, to be honest with you. That's already making our implementation easy. We're only dealing with companies that know how to do work in Apigee setup and installation and configuration and they have a long history of providing strong criteria. In general, I recommend Apigee.

Bert Van Vugt
Founder & CDO at AppyThings
Good performance and scalability, and the tracing feature is valuable

• "Tracing in Apigee is a very good feature."
  • "As it is now, the rotation of certificates is a manual task and is something that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Apigee is one of the API management products that we implement for our customers. Most of our clients want to expose their APIs to their consumers and they need to have a generic infrastructure for it. At the same time, they want it to be scalable as well as highly secure.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to fulfill all of our use cases with Apigee.

What is most valuable?

Tracing in Apigee is a very good feature.

The scalability and performance are both very good.

What needs improvement?

As it is now, the rotation of certificates is a manual task and is something that can be improved. It only has to be done once every two or three years, but I would state that there is still room for improvement.

We have been working with Apigee for five years.

The last time we had a disturbance was a year and a half ago, and it was due to an AWS infrastructure failure. Apigee was not to blame for it. For the most part, it has a very high availability.

We have some very large customers that make a billion API calls a month and we have never heard any complaints about scalability. It's not an issue.

About half of our clients are mid-sized companies, with approximately 5,000 employees, whereas the other half is made up of companies that are bigger than that.

We have engaged multiple times with Google's technical support. I can't say that they're necessarily very quick in their response. It can take a couple of days. That said, they're very knowledgeable and to the point. In the five years that we have been working with them, we have built a big network with them.

We use several similar solutions including Mulesoft, SAP, and Azure. Mulesoft is the one that we use the least and try to replace it with other systems. Out of ten customers, we have two using Azure, six using Apigee, and the final two using SAP.

The initial setup is very straightforward and we perform it as a service for our clients. Normally, it takes us about a week to get it fully operational with all of the rules in place, and fully onboarded.

When it comes to deployment, we have variety with our customers. 60% of them will use a cloud-based deployment, while the remaining 40% work on-premises. We are now just engaging the first customers using the new hybrid model from Apigee.

We perform the deployment and maintenance of Apigee for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Apigee is to use it as an API platform, and not as a full-stack integration platform.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Apigee Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.