BM
Risk Management & Business Continuity Manager at STC Solutions
Great security with good mitigation capabilities and a straightforward setup

• "The security provided by the solution is excellent."
  • "The integration could be improved within the solution. There is a need to pay more attention to this."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Apigee as the API gateway. We also use it for our preparation. We use the API for security and a lot of other tasks. Our customer use cases don't have any legacy systems. We're using Apigee, however, Apigee doesn't provide for a subscribe-publisher capability. It meant Kafka was just to provide the matching capabilities of Apigee. However, mainly we consider this solution as the API gateway and management system.

What is most valuable?

The security provided by the solution is excellent.

It provides for an on-prem setup. That's very important for us. As the regulation of communication policies. To be able to provide the telecom companies that tool and install their products on-prem for easy management via cloud inside Saudi Arabia is great.

The solution provides very good mitigation capabilities.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution could provide publishing capabilities as API middleware.

We've just been using the product for a few months for a new project we are working on. It hasn't been that long.

The solution provides a very stable solution for us.

Our mother company has been using Apigee for maybe five years now. I talk with them about making assessments for selecting an API gateway solution. They didn't have any issues with scalability or monitoring. Apigee was perfect for them. We didn't face any issue with it in terms of scalability or even tenability. It's very easy to scale.

As an integrator, we have about five different clients who use this solution. They have a different number of users.

The technical support for the solution is pretty good. We're satisfied with the level of support Google provides. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

The initial setup isn't complex. The setup configuration offers a very simple approach for developing and deploying services in Apigee. It's straightforward. It's easy for our developers to apply a lot of services while offering a faster time to market.

Apigee is not cheap. It's expensive. At the same time, our company is already buying an enterprise license so any company inside the group can use it. In general, however, it's pricey.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Google.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Whether of not this is a good solution for a company depends on a lot of criteria. The budget itself needs to be considered, for example. Apigee is perfect. They provide good support. People from Google are very cooperative as well. They listen for feedback on features.

They don't provide a partnership to just any company. You need strong criteria to get a partnership and to be able to support and feature the license. I like this, to be honest with you. That's already making our implementation easy. We're only dealing with companies that know how to do work in Apigee setup and installation and configuration and they have a long history of providing strong criteria. In general, I recommend Apigee.

Bert Van Vugt
Founder & CDO at AppyThings
Good performance and scalability, and the tracing feature is valuable

• "Tracing in Apigee is a very good feature."
  • "As it is now, the rotation of certificates is a manual task and is something that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Apigee is one of the API management products that we implement for our customers. Most of our clients want to expose their APIs to their consumers and they need to have a generic infrastructure for it. At the same time, they want it to be scalable as well as highly secure.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to fulfill all of our use cases with Apigee.

What is most valuable?

Tracing in Apigee is a very good feature.

The scalability and performance are both very good.

What needs improvement?

As it is now, the rotation of certificates is a manual task and is something that can be improved. It only has to be done once every two or three years, but I would state that there is still room for improvement.

We have been working with Apigee for five years.

The last time we had a disturbance was a year and a half ago, and it was due to an AWS infrastructure failure. Apigee was not to blame for it. For the most part, it has a very high availability.

We have some very large customers that make a billion API calls a month and we have never heard any complaints about scalability. It's not an issue.

About half of our clients are mid-sized companies, with approximately 5,000 employees, whereas the other half is made up of companies that are bigger than that.

We have engaged multiple times with Google's technical support. I can't say that they're necessarily very quick in their response. It can take a couple of days. That said, they're very knowledgeable and to the point. In the five years that we have been working with them, we have built a big network with them.

We use several similar solutions including Mulesoft, SAP, and Azure. Mulesoft is the one that we use the least and try to replace it with other systems. Out of ten customers, we have two using Azure, six using Apigee, and the final two using SAP.

The initial setup is very straightforward and we perform it as a service for our clients. Normally, it takes us about a week to get it fully operational with all of the rules in place, and fully onboarded.

When it comes to deployment, we have variety with our customers. 60% of them will use a cloud-based deployment, while the remaining 40% work on-premises. We are now just engaging the first customers using the new hybrid model from Apigee.

We perform the deployment and maintenance of Apigee for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Apigee is to use it as an API platform, and not as a full-stack integration platform.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,305 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Digital Finance and IFRS 17 Capabilities at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, allows for fast user engagement, and the technical support is responsive

• "The flexibility allows you to quickly run a cloud-native application architecture."
  • "The ability to work across different management solutions in a plug and play fashion would make it easier for faster uptake."

What is our primary use case?

We've got quite a large technology footprint and I'm looking after the integration of our banking platform with our payment systems.

What is most valuable?

The REST API allows for faster user engagement.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is an area that can be improved, as it is a little on the higher side. It is more expensive when you compare to open-source products or other vendors.

I think it would be helpful if Apigee had support for voice-activated activities, rather than having to type.

More intelligence in terms of being able to learn from previous activities would be a good addition in the future.

I have been using Apigee for about two years.

Apigee is used on a daily basis in our payment systems.

It has performed relatively well from a scalability perspective.

We have about 15 users in the company. They are a mixture of engineers, architects, and administrators, with the majority being architects.

In cases where we have a problem and need support, we have an agreement in place with the vendor to help us navigate through it. They are good and respond to our issues quickly.

Apigee was our first choice for this type of product.

The initial setup is of medium complexity. End-to-end, we took about a week to get everything ready. This included the account, the proxies, the target endpoints, etc.

We received assistance from the vendor for our implementation.

Our in-house team is responsible for routine maintenance. This includes backup support, uptime support, patching, applying of certificates, etc. It is an ongoing activity and we also work with the business to continuously improve the integration, so that they are getting the value of the capability of Apigee.

My understanding is that there are costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Apigee is to first do research and an analysis of what they want to use it for, including specific use cases. It is a good tool but it is important to have well-defined requirements to avoid a high implementation cost and rework.

The requirements have to be very well documented and understood by all parties, especially those who will be involved in implementing it. Following this approach is an important step to getting a good return on investment.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
SS
Sr. Technology Specialist at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
An API management tool with a good rate-limiting policy feature, but documentation could be better

• "I like implementing different policies, for example, rate-limiting policy."
  • "More documentation on the Open Banking Standard will help."

What is our primary use case?

We are working on some client POC where we have all the workloads deployed on Google Cloud. We wanted a gateway that was more like an API Management tool. We wanted to manage all our APIs centrally in one place. For example, we can route the traffic. We can limit, we can perform throttling, we can have the security checks like the authentication mechanism implemented centrally. We can also have a reverse proxy to our service endpoint.

What is most valuable?

I like implementing different policies, for example, rate-limiting policy. We can create a custom rate-limiting policy, and we can have an application-specific rate-limiting policy. That's what we're implementing or using, and I like that feature.

What needs improvement?

More documentation on the Open Banking Standard will help. For example, WSO2 supports the Open Banking API, but I can't find relevant documentation from Apigee. I'm not sure whether Apigee even supports the Open Banking Standard. If they do, then I think they have left out the documentation for that. For example, WSO2 has extensive documentation and training available to everyone. In that sense, I think, Apigee can improve.

I've been using Apigee for a few months.

It's a stable product. It's easy to manage, and we have implemented it for our production deployment.

Apigee is a scalable solution.

I never tried reaching out to tech support because the documentation is good. The documentation is available, and there is some training available on Udemy and the product site. These nicely describe how to deploy or set up different policies, which was enough for us.

The installation is straightforward. You just need to get a license for Apigee and then configure the reverse proxy. Once you have the reverse proxy configured, you have to set up whatever policies you want. One or two guys were able to install, deploy, and host our reverse proxy for our endpoint within a day.

We went through the documentation and the website and deployed the solution ourselves.

All these technologies are using Google Cloud for hosting our microservices, and we trialed Apigee. We were also using WSO2, an open-source API management tool, but as everything is on Google Cloud, we chose Apigee.

What other advice do I have?

If your workload is already deployed on Google Cloud, integration is very easy. Even if your services are hosted in some other cloud, like AWS, I think you can use Apigee, but I haven't tried that approach.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Apigee a seven.

Google
KR
Global Practice Head at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good pricing with excellent API management and has the potential to scale

• "The pricing is okay."
  • "The user interface could be better. It could be easier to navigate and more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for managing the interactions between channels, customer experience systems, and other systems.

What is most valuable?

The API management on the solution is very good. It's likely the most valuable aspect of the solution for us.

The pricing is okay.

It is possible to scale the solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't really lacking any features.

The pricing model could be improved. Things can get expensive for larger companies, or organizations that are growing.

The solution should offer more training to partners. It would help in the understanding of the product by quite a bit.

I've been using the solution for three or four years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability of the solution is okay. We haven't run into any issues.

Larger customers typically have 14-20 users on the product.

For large transactions, the commercial model is proving to be a constraint to some of our customers. For example, they're asking, when the scale grows, the commercial option becomes expensive. Some of our customers, for example, ask for an alternative approach due to the cost of the commercial model.

That said, you can scale. It's not a challenge in terms of doing it, it's just a challenge in terms of cost.

I've never really had to contact technical support, and therefore can't really speak to their level of assistance.

Typically, if I need assistance, I turn to Google or forums and I seek help online that way.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not overly complex. A company shouldn't run into issues setting it up and rolling it out.

I'm part of a services organization. There are various developers, and Apigee users tend to be more than 300 people from our organization. In terms of support, there are 40 people. These are split across different customer organizations.

We are an integrator and can implement the solution for our clients.

The pricing starts off okay, however, for enterprise-level organizations, or companies that are scaling, the price can rise and become costly. If you don't scale too big, the pricing is fair.

What other advice do I have?

We are systems integrators. We aren't just end-users.

In general, I would rate this solution at an eight out of ten. If the pricing in relation to scaling was better, or if they offered better partner training, I would rate them higher. There aren't really any features lacking and we're largely happy with the product.

DC
Chief Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Lightweight and stable this solution offers a strong gateway solution

• "It nice and easy for the clients and those using the product to access the product's help resources."
  • "Apigee is a very lightweight solution."
  • "Apigee could do more to make users aware of what is available in the add-ons."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we do the Apigee implementations for the customer. We are more like a service company. We sell the product and consult with the clients about their needs. There are options for the API gateways and we look at the client's requirements, their budgeting, and then we deliver and install the new solution.

What is most valuable?

Apigee makes it nice and easy for the clients and those using the product to access the product's help resources.

What needs improvement?

It would help with Apigee if we could make a list of our assets. If the client knows more about all the extensions they can use to work with through the Google cloud and we have an extensions database it would be easier to let them know what is available and we could do more to recommend Apigee for all different kinds of customer needs.

I have been working with Apigee at this company for the past three years.

The stability of the product is not an issue.

We have not had any issues with the product scalability.

We are actually partners with Google, so we get the best support from them.

I did have some previous experience with other products in this category before Apigee, like MuleSoft. The main differences between Apigee and MuleSoft are that Apigee is more lightweight and the licensing is also lesser than the MuleSoft. Based on the use case of big clients, the ones who want more services can get them and because the Apigee solution is more lightweight it offers more possibilities for them to use API solutions.

With Apigee you can bring in some adapters to work with things like business rule engines. So those might create more standardization and help make the investment in Apigee more valuable.

I tried to do the initial installation and setup a couple of times. It is straight forward and easy. It is just done by calling a couple of CMA (Connection Manager Agent) commands and you can get it up and running.

What other advice do I have?

What I would recommend for clients who are considering this type of solution depends on the customer's use cases. Since we are Google partners we generally go with Apigee as the solution. But if the client insists that there has to be a lot of orchestration and other integrations need to be done, then we will go with MuleSoft.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Apigee as somewhere around an eight.

Hybrid Cloud
Carlos Maximo Ramos
Software Architect at Caja Los Andes
Best product with central monitoring, support for industry standards, and excellent documentation

• "The central monitoring feature is the most valuable. It also provides security for the APIs and high availability for our use cases. Apigee is the best product in the industry in comparison to other API management solutions. It helps in fast development, which is a top point. It also supports a lot of industry standards and has excellent documentation."
  • "The developer portal's adoption of the OpenAPI standard needs to be improved. In the latest version of the developer portal, they have adopted the OpenAPI standard. This feature, however, can be improved by supporting more characteristics of the OpenAPI standard."

What is our primary use case?

We implement a set of microservices. We expose different APIs and control and monitor the use of the APIs by using Apigee. We have approximately 15 developers.

What is most valuable?

The central monitoring feature is the most valuable. It also provides security for the APIs and high availability for our use cases.

Apigee is the best product in the industry in comparison to other API management solutions. It helps in fast development, which is a top point. It also supports a lot of industry standards and has excellent documentation.

What needs improvement?

The developer portal's adoption of the OpenAPI standard needs to be improved. In the latest version of the developer portal, they have adopted the OpenAPI standard. This feature, however, can be improved by supporting more characteristics of the OpenAPI standard.

I have been using Apigee for approximately one year.

It is stable. I did a series of tests, and Apigee was excellent in the results.

Scalability is very good in the SaaS version.

In general, they respond very fast and provide good service. Sometimes, they take longer to respond. It can take three to four days.

We didn't use any API management solution.

The initial setup of Apigee is very easy. However, we had a problem with the deployment of Microgateway in on-premises infrastructure. The deployment took about two to three months.

We worked with a partner. We have three teams for deployment. Each team has five developers. These teams also do maintenance.

We have three people for the administration task. They do monitoring and reporting.

We have a contract for three years. I don't know the cost.

We evaluated API management solutions from Oracle, IBM. Most of the solutions are similar in terms of functionality. We went for Apigee because it had more points or better ratings as per Gartner and Forrester.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It is a good solution for masking data, using methods like RPC, and administering APIs. We plan to continue using this solution. We have legacy systems in our company, and we need to move to new technologies. We plan to create developer APIs for the rest of the functionality and use Apigee for API management in our company.

I would rate Apigee a nine out of ten. It is an excellent product.

Private Cloud
MS
Managing Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Flexible with many options, stable, and there are no issues with scalability

• "Apigee gives you plenty of opportunities to set up your workspace depending on how you want to manage your APIs."
  • "What my clients don't like is that the on-premises solution is not being treated and maintained as well as the cloud solution."

What is our primary use case?

There are plenty of use cases. My clients were using for internal API management as well as external API management, including subscription models and pre-payment models.  Essentially, it was for using internal data and selling external data.

What is most valuable?

Apigee gives you plenty of opportunities to set up your workspace depending on how you want to manage your APIs. This is something that the majority of clients like.

What needs improvement?

I know that they are working on the integration of no-code and low-code solutions to make it more accessible to users that have no technical background. This is something that I find very interesting and they should continue working on that.

I was working at a client site where Apigee was being used. I have two years of experience in this environment.

Stability-wise, I haven't observed any major issues with the product.

It is pretty scalable and we haven't reached any limits so far. We have thousands of users. There are a few hundred active internal users, a few thousand developers, and far more external users.

I haven't been involved in any interaction with support.

I would like to see the implementation of further options for billing because as it is now, the opportunities you have in terms of a package are limited. You don't have the choice of too many billing models, which is an issue that needs to be worked on.

My clients have a monthly pricing model.

If you compare this to Microsoft Azure API Management, Apigee is a bit better because Microsoft has no real built-in solution.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Apigee Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.