AppDynamics Database Monitoring OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is the #13 ranked solution in our list of APM tools. It is most often compared to AWS X-Ray: AppDynamics Database Monitoring vs AWS X-Ray

What is AppDynamics Database Monitoring?

More than half of application performance bottlenecks originate in the database, but most application teams have little or no visibility into database performance. With AppDynamics' database performance management product, you get 100% visibility into application performance, from the browser to the database.

Key Benefits

• Visualize end-to-end application performance, from the browser to the database
  • Get alerts when database thresholds are violated
  • Monitor key performance metrics like top users, programs, SQL, objects and more.
  • See execution plans for slow SQL to isolate performance bottlenecks
AppDynamics Database Monitoring Buyer's Guide

Download the AppDynamics Database Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

AppDynamics Database Monitoring Customers

Sony, DirecTV, UBS, The Container Store, The Neta Porter Group, Nasdaq, Cisco, eHarmony, Hallmark, Overstock, Expedia

AppDynamics Database Monitoring Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AppDynamics Database Monitoring pricing:
  • "Pricing is based on the size of the deployment."

AppDynamics Database Monitoring Reviews

KJ
Director of Application Performance Monitoring As A Service (MAPS & MSPM) with 11-50 employees
Reseller
While this is still a good solution for database monitoring it has fallen from its place as a leader in the field

• "The product is stable and the technical support is good."
  • "The product lost its place as an industry leader."
  • "The setup, implementation and use are clumsy and need to be refined."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use we have for this product is application performance monitoring for mission-critical applications. We are a reseller.

How has it helped my organization?

The old way that people would remediate when there was a problem with performance is that they would have to dig into the logs and manually find where the bottlenecks were. A solution like AppDynamics is a definite advantage because it can pinpoint the areas that the person(s) reviewing the issue need to focus on. This makes the technicians a lot faster in remediating issues that an application is presenting.

What is most valuable?

Our customers are most interested in monitoring transactions, page loads, the infrastructure, the CPU, and memory monitoring.

What needs improvement?

AppDynamics needs to consolidate their technology agent types into one agent that could be deployed on any host no matter what the technology is that it is running. It is really the implementation of AppDynamics that is very difficult because it is very manual. They really need to improve upon that and do more to simplify user processes. So, I would like them to have a single agent type instead of an agent-based on the technology. I think that having a single binary agent that you can put onto any host would make it a lot easier to work with.

We have been partners with AppDynamics for about six years now.

The stability of the product is there. It is fine.

My impression of the scalability of the solution is that it is not very scalable. They are not the market leader anymore. Because they do not have the ability to monitor microservices and containers, I do not see the product having a huge future. For example and for comparison, there is Dynatrace which is a better solution and an easier solution to work with. AppDynamics has failed to lead the way.

We usually have two engineers on staff for the deployment and maintenance for our clients.

I think their technical support is good. There is no problem there that I know of.

I think the initial setup is too complex. You have to figure out exactly what is running on the servers you are going to monitor. Many times — especially if there are older applications still operating — the clients do not even know what all the technologies are that are running on the server. It just takes a lot of time just to find that out. It is just very time consuming to have to go through the process and it should be quicker and easier.

We do the deployments. Deployment usually takes several weeks and the strategy is just to get in there and get it done as quickly as possible. People regularly use an integrator, a reseller or consultant for the deployment. We are a reseller.

The setup cost, pricing and licensing is different for every customer depending on how big they are and how many servers they are putting the product on. So I can not give a direct answer to that question. Really cost is based on the implementation.

We have evaluated Dynatrace and eventually it could replace AppDynamics. It is a simple comparison of the pros and cons between the two products. Dynatrace is easier to instrument and implement and Dynatrace gives the clients quicker results. Also, Dynatrace points to the root cause of an issue instead of just correlations which are a lot more vague.

What other advice do I have?

As advice to people considering the solution, I would tell them to scope it out really well and to do a lot of research on their intended application and their business use cases. There may be another, better solution available for their needs.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a seven. I would rate them at a seven because they definitely have a better product than several other products on the market, they have good functionality, and I think they are fairly affordable. The reason I would not rate them higher is because there are other products on the market that are obviously better solutions that exist right now.

AH
Consultant APM et Performance with 10,001+ employees
Good database monitoring and quite stable but needs more dashboards

• "The solution is very, very stable. We haven't faced any bugs or glitches on the system."
  • "An improvement could be if the monitoring was able to be summarized into something more clear and simple for people who don't have the technical skills on the database side."

What is our primary use case?

What we do in general is analysis on the application side. When we have slow SQL requests we jump on the database monitoring to see, for example, the total time the request has been pending in the database. We can solve SQL requests by their pending time.

What is most valuable?

The explain plan is the solution's most valuable feature.

The database monitoring is quite simple.

What needs improvement?

An improvement could be if the monitoring was able to be summarized into something more clear and simple for people who don't have the technical skills on the database side.

The solution needs to have some prepared dashboards on the database. When we use AppDynamics we have a lot of screens and we have to jump from one screen to another. It would useful is if, on the database, monitoring required merely a click on a button and then you have the monitoring dashboard that you can display for easy access.

I've been using the solution for three years now.

The solution does not offer good scalability. It's quite technical, but basically, when we have to monitor one database we have to check if our Java program allows for the amount of monitoring we need. If it doesn't, we'll need to restart and get more database agents and perhaps spend more money to scale.

We don't have a lot of users on the solution on the database monitoring portion. It might be as many as 20 people. They are software engineers and database admins.

We only use the solution occasionally when we suspect there are problems on the database side. It isn't used daily.

We create a lot of support tickets with AppDynamics. We've been using the solution for a few years now. The support is quite weak. There's a lot of back and forth, however, eventually, they give us decent solutions.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not complex at all.

It only takes about 10 minutes to create the user on the database.

The initial setup is actually done in two parts. The first part is to create the user on the database that we want to monitor. This part is done by the database teams etc. The second part is handling the AppDynamics controller. This part is handled by me or someone on my team.

A company only needs one person to handle the maintenance once it is up and running.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

I'm not in charge of licensing. I don't know what the costs associated with it would be.

What other advice do I have?

For me, the first recommendation I would have to other organizations considering implementation would be to have a person or people who have good skills on database monitoring. How AppDynamics works is basically just monitoring the metrics that already exist in the databases. These metrics are really technical metrics, so a company has to have some people that are really specialized in reading them. They need to have a good database administrator or database analyst in place.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about AppDynamics Database Monitoring. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PradeepSingh
Associate Principal Consultant at BRavura
A straightforward initial setup with helpful snapshot features and good monitoring

• "The feature that is most valuable to us is the snapshot feature. It allows us to get a snapshot of different SQL scripts that are being executed simultaneously and we can identify everything we need on them."
  • "The application monitoring needs improvement. It needs to be easier for someone who isn't a proficient developer."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for database monitoring. We also have defense solutions available to monitor the database performance. We use AppDynamics in our pipeline.

What is most valuable?

The feature that is most valuable to us is the snapshot feature. It allows us to get a snapshot of different SQL scripts that are being executed simultaneously and we can identify everything we need on them.

The solution offers good monitoring.

What needs improvement?

I'm only working as an administrator on the solution, so I'm not in a position to really discuss too many technical aspects of it.

For example, if we use Java for monitoring events to gather history-based data in regards to the application, it should provide a better core-controller. When we monitor any Java application, the approach for us is to identify a set of classes as part of Java programming. These particular classes needs to be executed so any end-user using AppDynamics would be able to see the culprit class. There shouldn't be a need for a final report. Yet, we don't have a feature like that at this time. A person who is monitoring everything needs to have very good knowledge about the solution and not everyone is a proficient programmer.

I've been using the solution for two years.

I haven't personally faced any issues with scaling. However, we have a limited number of licenses available. We've been allocated four licenses to monitor four different items. Therefore, I don't have the availability to scale currently.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. The initial implementation is quite simple. It takes about one day to fully set everything up. However, sometimes we have compatibility issues. For example, AppDynamics is compatible with the C language.

Our sales team initiates the AppDynamics license and then an internal team handles the events around implementation. We have a good team available from Citrix as well.

What other advice do I have?

The solution we are using is SaaS-based. The controller is deployed on the cloud, and we have integrated different Linux environments with it. There are a couple of Java agents as well as machine engines and a DB agent that we utilize.

I don't have too much interaction with the teams that handle the solution, so I don't know if I have any advice to give other companies in relation to implementation. I don't have too much exposure when it comes to database monitoring and am not overly familiar with the application itself.

I'd rate it at least a six out of ten based on my experience with the solution so far. I only use limited features for Oracle database monitoring.

MM
Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A fantastic solution for monitoring a database

• "To be honest, it's a fantastic product."
  • "The scalability could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for database monitoring, application processing, and performance monitoring. Within our business unit, there are hundreds of people using this solution.

AppDynamics was implemented to help us with some performance issues. I'm not a big fan in terms of other features compared to some of the other tools that we use, but when it comes to end-user monitoring (where you want to capture or trend back business transactions, or where you want to really view the performance of the tools), It's not just good in terms of managing your production system, but some of the developers use it to tackle performance issues and get ahead.

What is most valuable?

The application performance monitoring when it comes to code (especially Java code), is really amazing.

The key feature of AppDynamics where it really helps us is instrumentation and database monitoring.

The user interface is also good.

What needs improvement?

The challenges that we face are all performance based, relating to business transactions, not database monitoring.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is very stable.

The scalability could be improved. There is a limitation in terms of the technology that can be supported. For Example, if you want to implement through Java, that is pretty seamless.

The amount of configuration you get there is actually quite low, so you can pretty much go ahead. However, if you're implementing C++ applications, I think it's going to be very difficult.

We have an enterprise tooling team of our own. We actually don't support the product internally; however, there are some consultants from AppDynamics who join us from time to time to help us whenever we experience issues that we need help dealing with.

The installation was quite straightforward. Simply deploy the agent to start coding the data to the controller, and it will do the rest.

Deployment took less than an hour or two. It's best to have the help of expert staff, but if you don't, just follow the instructions.

We deployed this solution on our own with a maintenance team of eight to ten people.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to other companies. On a scale from one to ten, I would give AppDynamics Database Monitoring a rating of eight. To be honest, it's a fantastic product.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
PM
QA Specialist at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Scalable, stable, and good for monitoring transactions

• "The most valuable aspect of the solution is the ability to discover and track transactions."
  • "The user access management could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring the transactions of our user's in-app purchases.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We also use Oracle Fusion and the actual tracing of your transactions on Oracle Fusion is difficult because they use an asynchronous type of tracking between the nodes. It makes it difficult for AppDynamics to track.

The user access management could be a bit better.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The stability has been good so far.

In terms of scalability, you may need a bit more resources in terms of hardware to scale the solution properly. The solution collects a lot of data, so you need a lot of capacity to handle it. However, if you are on the cloud, I believe there would be fewer restrictions.

We have 50 people on the solution and we use it every day.

We've been very satisfied with technical support. Whenever we've had an issue they've been able to assist.

We previously used DynaTrace, but we switched to AppDynamics because the pricing was much more reasonable. DynaTrace was also not easy to implement. We needed someone who knew about how to code it.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment took about half a day.

We typically have a local supplier assist us with the implementation.

The pricing is very good. You get good value, especially if you compare it to DynaTrace.

What other advice do I have?

We currently use the on-premises deployment model but we are in the process of moving over to the cloud.

The solution is a good tool. I'd advise others to use the cloud deployment model so that you don't need to worry so much about having enough infrastructure if you you want to scale.

I'd rate it eight out of ten.

MM
Senior Performance Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fast and stable monitoring for effective issue resolution but needs networking monitoring functionality

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for enterprise-level monitoring, everything from application to database monitoring. The product will tell you everything. It will show you at the code level where the issue is. For example, the solution will analyze a database and it will tell you which of the CPUs are taking more time to execute, showing exactly where the issue is.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to find issues fast and resolve them.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful to have a dashboard and artificial intelligence for error detection and correlation for future releases.

I have been using the product for six years.

It is a stable…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to find issues fast and resolve them.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the product for six years.

It is a stable product in my experience.

Their support is really good.

The setup was straightforward. It is easy to install, it took about half an hour.

We deployed the solution ourselves. We used one technical person to analyze the solution for deployment but then we did not need any technical assistance afterwards, it is pretty straight forward to understand.

The networking monitor function could be better, we are not getting many details from it.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use and not difficult to configure. I would definitely recommend the solution, I have been working with it for the last five to six years. It's a really good product.

I rate AppDynamics Database Monitoring a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud