AppDynamics Database Monitoring OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is #13 ranked solution in APM tools. IT Central Station users give AppDynamics Database Monitoring an average rating of 8 out of 10. AppDynamics Database Monitoring is most commonly compared to Dynatrace:AppDynamics Database Monitoring vs Dynatrace. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is AppDynamics Database Monitoring?

More than half of application performance bottlenecks originate in the database, but most application teams have little or no visibility into database performance. With AppDynamics' database performance management product, you get 100% visibility into application performance, from the browser to the database.

Key Benefits

• Visualize end-to-end application performance, from the browser to the database
  • Get alerts when database thresholds are violated
  • Monitor key performance metrics like top users, programs, SQL, objects and more.
  • See execution plans for slow SQL to isolate performance bottlenecks
AppDynamics Database Monitoring Buyer's Guide

Download the AppDynamics Database Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

AppDynamics Database Monitoring Customers

Sony, DirecTV, UBS, The Container Store, The Neta Porter Group, Nasdaq, Cisco, eHarmony, Hallmark, Overstock, Expedia

AppDynamics Database Monitoring Video

Archived AppDynamics Database Monitoring Reviews (more than two years old)

Ahmed Sokar
Senior IT Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The solution only monitors delays and needs more monitoring options

• "The solution is great for database monitoring. You don't have to install an agent on the database. You just install the server to a database agent. It's a good product for some database administration if you don't want to install an agent on the database for security."
  • "The solution should add some monitoring similar to Oracle monitoring tools for databases. It has a lot of features to monitor SQL queries, and make some recommendation to resolve it. AppDynamics is just monitoring for delays and doesn't provide any recommendations for that. It's a deficiency."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is for end-to-end visibility for all applications we choose to monitor.

What is most valuable?

The solution is great for database monitoring. You don't have to install an agent on the database. You just install the server to a database agent. It's a good product for some database administration if you don't want to install an agent on the database for security. AppDynamics does not install directly on the database but can monitor core transactions.

If we have different applications with different language and databases from different vendors, or different versions, we are still able to monitor the performance and delay for all the applications and discover the root cause for delays.

What needs improvement?

The solution should add some monitoring similar to Oracle monitoring tools for databases. Oracle has a lot of features to monitor SQL queries, and make some recommendations to resolve them. AppDynamics is just monitoring for delays and doesn't provide any recommendations. It's a deficiency.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The stability of the solution is very good.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support from AppDynamics is excellent.

The initial setup was very easy. You do not have to install any agent for the database. You just take and install the server for database agents and it will take care of all the connections and transactions as well as the database. It makes for a very simple installation. We had four or five people that assisted in the implementation and currently, we have one engineer who performs ongoing maintenance.

We had a consultant that assisted with the implementation.

Licensing for the solution is very complex. A different type of agent means a different type of license and subscription. Different languages, database types, and agents make a Dynamics license complex.

They do offer great discounts when bundling other AppDynamics licenses. For example, if a customer needs some license for a database agent, they can also take a license for end-user monitoring. I think AppDynamics has good options for budgets.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model.

I would advise new users to not install AppDynamics for their database only. Just the database portion isn't dynamic enough without other portions of the AppDynamics suite.

I would rate all database applications nine out of ten, but I would rate just the database monitoring four out of ten.

lebohang-motloung
Technical Team Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Give the ability to monitor database performance but the solution has stability issues

• "The ability to identify the top running queries has been extremely valuable for us."
  • "Stability-wise, we experienced some performance issues when upgrading from 4.4 to 4.5."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to check how the database is performing and to log and check queries.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The monitoring of different schemas within the database could be improved. They should split the dashboard into different schemas, instead of having one.

I've been using the solution for three to four years.

The solution is pretty easy to scale.

I'm not too happy with technical support.

We weren't previously using a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. It didn't take long; maybe about an hour.

We used an Enterprise Console List for the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

We used an on-premises version of the solution.

I would rate the solution a seven out of ten. Technical support hasn't been too impressive so we ended up having to resolve our own issues. There are also a few challenges that we've had from a performance perspective when we upgraded from one version to the next.

That said, I would still recommend the solution.

Learn what your peers think about AppDynamics Database Monitoring. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MP
Head of IT Operations at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Exception discovery has helped us to improve availability and performance

• "We were able to correct problems, which led to an increase in availability, time savings, and performance for our solutions."
  • "Based on the user experience feedback that we have had, I think that the most important thing to improve is the availability of the SaaS, the cloud environment."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented AppDynamics to have a clear, real-time monitoring solution for our critical business systems.

We have two tenants; one for production and the other for our quality control environment. We are using more than fifty probes, including application and database probes.

Our company is worldwide, across geography. We are using the public cloud deployment model.

How has it helped my organization?

We have gained a lot from this solution because it helps us to check what is there in terms of exceptions, and so on. We were able to correct problems, which led to an increase in availability, time savings, and performance for our solutions.

What needs improvement?

We are having a problem where one of our tenants has had issues with availability over the past two months. There is a lot of downtime for the SaaS tenant. Based on the user experience feedback that we have had, I think that the most important thing to improve is the availability of the SaaS, the cloud environment.

The mobile application needs to be improved.

We are evaluating a solution from SAP, and we are interested in is seeing the integration or the interface, and what we can get out of these new probes. We had a conference call with AppDynamics and challenged them to resolve the SAP solution monitoring so that it works side-by-side with our critical applications.

More than two years.

We are having availability issues with the SaaS.

In terms of scalability, this solution is good and has worked for us. With our licensing model, each time we have a need or requirement, we have our probes available for new solutions in less than forty-eight hours.

Technical support for this solution is mixed. We are using a local outsourcing company in Portugal as our contact for AppDynamics. They keep in touch with us every week, so we don't have any problem.

The problem has to do with reaching out to our account manager. Sometimes, we simply receive no response from them. For instance, we have sent them emails related to the cloud environment stability issues two weeks ago, and we still have not received a response from AppDynamics. This is a little bit of a struggle for us.

We are working with an outsourcing company, and have used products from Micro Focus.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

In terms of pricing, I feel that when you compare the benefits that we get to the price that we paid, it is reasonable.

We did a proof of concept with the AppDynamics and also with the Dynatrace. The feedback that we received from our users, and from the IT department, was that the AppDynamics interface was more user-friendly than that of Dynatrace.

What other advice do I have?

We collect user experience feedback from many countries, all over the world.

We have already recommended this product to some of our partners, and they have implemented it based on our advice.

This is a good product, but we still have issues with the cloud and stability.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten, due to stability issues and no feedback from EMEA AppDynamics.

WA
Business Transformation Consultant at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good monitoring solution for medium-sized businesses with fairly good pricing

• "AppDynamics is scalable. They can monitor billions of transactions because they're not monitoring all transactions. They're monitoring samples. So, they can offer good monitoring for the huge sites."
  • "The solution could improve the server size for AppDynamics to include middleware products, which is doesn't yet cover. If they add middleware for sophisticated sites, AppDynamics would be the global choice."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring. We are monitoring the customer experience of our banking solutions for external customers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are customer management and user experience management.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve the server size for AppDynamics to include middleware products, which it doesn't yet cover. If they add middleware for sophisticated sites, AppDynamics would be the global choice.

I've been using the solution for 1 year.

It's scalable, but it comes with a cost if you add more applications. Technically, it is scalable, but from a cost perspective, it costs much more if you add more.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup for AppDynamics wasn't easy, but it wasn't hard either. It has a medium level of difficulty. Deployment takes about three months.

Pricing isn't bad, in comparison to Dynatrace, which is much more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the solution strongly for those with medium-sized businesses. It's not for enterprise solutions or enterprise businesses. It's a great solution for the non-enterprise client.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.

ITJobZone.biz
Founder and CEO at www.ITJobZone.biz
The user experience management is a valuable feature

What is our primary use case?

AppDynamics allows users a complete application monitoring solution for making better products/applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely helped the trainees with using the tool in the best possible way for creating products and applications without any glitches or manageable glitches.

What is most valuable?

Dashboard Reports Monitoring slow queries User experience management Business transaction breakdowns, and many more of its features.

What needs improvement?

Synthetic monitoring of applications and products in a better way would help to improve the product better. More OOB reports also would help.

Three to five years.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Dashboard
  • Reports
  • Monitoring slow queries
  • User experience management
  • Business transaction breakdowns, and many more of its features.

What needs improvement?

• Synthetic monitoring of applications and products in a better way would help to improve the product better.
  • More OOB reports also would help.

Three to five years.
it_user560469
Associate at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The best feature is the live view. You can see exactly what's going on.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is the live view in database monitoring because you can see exactly what's going on. As soon as you know there is something wrong with your database, you can go and see which query it is. We were trying to do that for some time. We would contact the DBA, but by the time you do that, the query is gone. That's the best thing about it.

How has it helped my organization?

It's still in UAT, but we saw that most of the third-party products are running some queries that we don't have any visibility into. Now, we have access to the database view, live view. We can see which queries are taking a long time. We can go back to the vendor and we can tell them, “You need to do something about this. Why is it taking such a long time?” Then, they will recommend something, to do some maintenance on the DB, or they might give us a patch or something. So, this product helps.

What needs improvement?

At a recent conference, I saw the log analytics, and I was very impressed with it. We are not going to use it, but I would like to see how that works out and whether it can be of any use with our applications. That is one thing I'm looking forward to if it comes to us, and if we get to implement that.

The way it was explained in the presentation is that we can actually correlate a particular event and we can see all of the aspects: on the database side, what happened at the time; in an application; and from the end user perspective – that holdup that you get in the one place by just a simple query. That's very interesting.
One thing for which we didn't get a clear answer is how taxing or how much overhead it can create on a database. We were told that the remote monitoring is the best way to do it. However, sometimes we have databases located across data centers that might be thousands of miles apart. That is something which I might want to see in the documentation: What are the specific recommendations about over WAN, within country? How they want to implement it?

I would rate the product higher if they improved the documentation.

1 year

Stability-wise, it looks good. We have not seen any abrupt crashes or anything like that. It's pretty stable.

We used technical support once. We applied a new license, and it was not getting connected. We contacted them, and they gave us a very standard document. We just used that ourselves. It wasn’t even on the phone. We just used that, and it was very easy to do it.

I joined the company after they started using the solution. They asked me to evaluate it, it is. We were evaluating it in our team. We kind of liked it. And then we went forward.

I come from a customer service background. I worked at BMC Software before. In general, when I’m looking to work with a vendor, the first thing is that you need to be very prompt with the responses, because the customer expectations are very high. The answers need to be very clear. Sometimes, with some other vendors, we ask them something and they just keep asking for logs.

I was working on a case. I won't name them, but they asked for the same log three times. It took a week just to get them the logs. We were like, "You could have asked for all of the three steps in first email." When we are opening a case or have to deal with customer support, they need to first talk to us, understand what the problem is. Most of the customer support representatives, they try to deal with everything by email. They need to understand that if it's a severity 2 or severity 1 issue, you should get on the phone and discuss the whole thing. Then, accordingly, you can start troubleshooting or asking questions. That's what my expectation is because I worked on the other side. I know what I’m looking for.

What other advice do I have?

Just implement it. I've never seen anything like this, so I would tell everyone, “You should try this.”

One thing that everyone needs to understand: If APM is for their application or not. That's the most important part. If you think that you have a lot of deadlocks, or something is happening with your application, and you're spending months figuring it out, then APM is the only way you can sort this thing out.

I've seen some presentations. They were very impressive. There was one case from healthcare. They were saying that they were investigating an issue for 18 months. They rolled out AppDynamics. In 36 hours, they got their root cause. That's impressive.

I was just doing a UAT for something. We were running some jobs and suddenly everything froze. We went to AppDynamics, and we saw that one query was taking everything on the database. It's very transparent in that way. It's one of the best database monitoring solution I've ever seen.

My company uses other AppDynamics products, but I belong to a different line of business. We are looking into it. We are going to use the machine agent and the app agent, especially the .NET and Java agents.

it_user560532
Architect at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
I can see information about the wait states in the database. It shows me the snapshots for the database queries.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the view it gives me about the wait states in the database. It shows me the snapshots for the database queries; some of the details behind what might be contending on the database if there's an issue. I think that's really insightful for the applications that we use. That's pretty helpful and beneficial for troubleshooting.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest benefit we have found is that we are quickly able to identify the root cause, especially if it's in the database layer. We also use AppDynamics on the app layer as well. It quickly helps us get to the root cause. That's been the number one benefit of using it.

What needs improvement?

I definitely want to see some drill down capabilities, especially at the database layer, because the snapshot gives me up to a certain point where I can see the wait states. I can't really see at that particular point in time, a certain SQL was causing the issue in a real time basis, and I can alert someone on that basis. I definitely want to see some drill down capabilities at that layer.

I've seen some demos of the upcoming capabilities such as doing monitoring at the network layer. And then the EUM, the end user monitoring; I definitely will be looking forward to using those in the future.

I haven’t given it a perfect rating due to the future capabilities, which are definitely coming.

So far, we have not found any instability caused by AppDynamics APM. We have had instances where, just to eliminate possible causes of issues, we have turned off AppDynamics, but it has never caused us issues with the database being either slow or going down.

We haven't really had the need to scale it. We're in the early part of the journey in our AppDynamics deployment, but we will soon be going there. We still have to get to that point.

We have used technical support a couple of times. When we had the new release, the deployments were not as smooth as we thought. I think we had to engage the AppDynamics engineer, and a couple of times for the configuration that we just did not know. It was probably a training issue more than anything else. Other than that, it's been self-sufficient as far as we can tell.

Tech support were really helpful. We have a good partnership with AppDynamics. That's what we appreciate because they understand how my company works, the culture, the scope and the ecosystem. We really like it, having that partnership.

We run a lot of third-party packages, and we fly blind to what happens inside. We have tons and tons of logs. To go through those whenever we have an issue takes days or weeks. It's a similar story, I think, across the board. For us, though, the applications being so critical, we need to get to a root cause and fix it. Until that point, before we had AppDynamics, it was a constant back and forth with the software vendors. With this tool, since we’ve had it and have been able to pinpoint where the issue is, we can get on to the root cause really quickly.

The initial setup was kind of different and new. I wouldn't describe it as complex. Once we had the person from AppDynamics sitting next to us, we could quickly get to it.

There weren’t really any other companies we looked at before we chose AppDynamics. In our company, we have another tool that they use. I think AppDynamics is quickly picking it up. But we as a group never looked at any other tool.

In general, when I look at working with a vendor, the capabilities in the product is definitely the most important criteria. That's number one. The second thing is, as I’ve mentioned, if you have a good partnership and a good representative from the vendor side who can represent your issues to the product teams and get those features in. I think that's kind of critical for us.

What other advice do I have?

If colleagues looking to implement database monitoring asked me for advice, I would definitely advise them to look at this APM tool, first of all. Then, basically just work with the engineers initially and get self-sufficient with the tool. And spend some time with the tool. If it's a training issue, get some training on the tool itself.

As long as they know their space, they know their infrastructure, they know their database ecosystem, it should be pretty easy.

We use the AppDynamics database monitoring plus the APM on the app side right now.

Download our free AppDynamics Database Monitoring Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.