AppDynamics Server Monitoring OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AppDynamics Server Monitoring is the #33 ranked solution in our list of Infrastructure Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to ITRS Geneos: AppDynamics Server Monitoring vs ITRS Geneos

What is AppDynamics Server Monitoring?

Application-centric server monitoring in context of your business transactions to proactively isolate and resolve application performance issues faster with actionable, correlated application-server metrics.

Download the IT Infrastructure Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

AppDynamics Server Monitoring Customers

Sony, DirecTV, UBS, The Container Store, The Neta Porter Group, Nasdaq, Cisco, eHarmony, Hallmark, Overstock, Expedia

AppDynamics Server Monitoring Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AppDynamics Server Monitoring pricing:
  • "My understanding is that the price of this solution is quite high, compared to other products."

AppDynamics Server Monitoring Reviews

Oan-Ali
Enterprise Digital Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Predictive notifications are on target but there should be better regional support

• "The auto-discovery of the logs is the most valuable feature. It requires minimal configuration, we just need to set up on once and it automatically detects through the code."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see the configuration of the data and more support for new applications. It should support new languages."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premise deployment model of this solution.

Our primary use case of this solution is for monitoring our critical applications. The automated data dynamics enables us to monitor the performance of an application and unknowns.

How has it helped my organization?

A way that it has improved my organization is from its notifications. We can get notified on our mobile app. We get notified spontaneously for mission-critical applications. It notifies us that the incident is going to happen in the near future, it's a predictive notification. The notifications have been on target for us and have improved my organization.

What is most valuable?

The auto-discovery of the logs is the most valuable feature. It requires minimal configuration, we just need to set up on once and it automatically detects through the code.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be coupled with its own analytic elastic search analytic model. It should push that data to other data models so the organization does not have to spend separately or to spend more on the analytics part. If a bank or any organization has its own dashboarding solution it should be able to push the data to that dashboarding solution. This is not available right now.

I have been using AppDynamics for two years.

It's a fairly stable product and I would say that they are longer lived than new applications that have been on boarded.

Our entire command center is using this solution which is around 15 to 20 users.

Their technical support isn't great. The geographical distance and the response time it takes to respond to emails from the technical team is very slow.

For the setup, you need a good understanding of the solution and how it works so I would say it's not that simple. It's not that complex either but if you have the right people in place, it should have a medium level of complexity. For banks, it can be a little more complex because it needs to comply with a lot of security guidelines. If you're not in a banking environment, it should be more straightforward.

The setup took us around two to three weeks.

We consulted directly with AppDynamics for the implementation. The experience was good but the geographical distance was always an issue because we don't have local support available in the area. Otherwise, when the people were on the floor it was okay but when the people were not on the floor then definitely there were some problems there.

We have definitely seen an ROI. If you have a critical application that needs to be monitored you will see your indirect ROI within two to three years and you'll have the happy customers, not usual complaints.

You don't have to pay. You only pay for the implementation partners if you choose to get help.

What other advice do I have?

I would say be cautious on the licensing model. You should understand your exact needs. If your needs are in line with what this solution offers then I would genuinely recommend going for this solution, otherwise, if not, it might be too costly.

I think from the product perspective it's fine but on the implementation descriptions there are a lot of issues. It's challenging without support. If someone is looking into it they need to look for any local organization partners in their area.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

MayankAggarwal
Senior eCommerce Infrastructure Specialist, L2 at Mastek
Has great analytics configurations but it's not easy for new users to configure transactions

• "I like Business iQ the most, so far. It has great analytics configurations and I can get real-time updates. We have eCommerce releases every week. So the one use case that I use Business iQ is to compare before and after release performance using AppDynamics."
  • "The one thing that I find it difficult in using AppDynamics is, for any new user, it's not easy for him or her to configure the transactions in AppDynamics because the UI is pretty complex. The configuration is pretty complex for a new, fresh user. They can make the UI simpler, that'll be very helpful for anyone to configure their website in AppDynamics."

What is our primary use case?

I have a B2B eCommerce website and we have some business transactions. For that, we have configured the business transactions in AppDynamics. Apart from that, we have a list of servers that we have configured in AppDynamics, to send us some sort of alert if there's something bad or the servers are in disguise or something.

First, we use it to handle the business transactions alerting, and then the servers alerting. And second, we use it to create the dashboard so that we can get real-time updates on how the system is performing at around runtime.

What is most valuable?

I like Business iQ the most, so far. It has great analytics configurations and I can get real-time updates. We have eCommerce releases every week. So the one use case that I use Business iQ is to compare before and after release performance using AppDynamics.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, we have experienced bugs. I think the AppDynamics team is already aware of that and we follow up with them. They said that in the next release, they're going to cater to all those bugs.

I have been using AppDynamics for two years.

I find it pretty comfortable and pretty stable. Obviously, there are always some sort of bugs that any product needs to handle, but otherwise, it is quite stable.

We have ten to fifteen employees who manage this solution.

Since we are an eCommerce B2B website and we do need the scalability at times, to scale down or scale up, AppDynamics really does not create trouble for us in such scalability possibilities. It's not that difficult in terms of scalability.

We use it daily. Since we are on eCommerce products and support roles, we need to check the performance of the website on a daily basis, even on an hourly basis.

I am quite satisfied with their support. Things are in shape. Things are good.

We use AppDynamics and Pingdom but then we are using both of the software to cater to different purposes. I really don't want to compare those two products, because those are serving different functionalities for us. They are both NPM, network performance monitoring systems, but then they are totally different from each other, and they serve different purposes.

It is easy to set up. We got help from AppDynamics, they initially helped us set up the configuration, and then we took it forward from there.

The entire setup has been completed for my website in a week.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise that instead of generic metric business usage of this, instead, use a generic metric business transaction configuration, and go for the Business iQ part of AppDynamics. It's really powerful and it is in real-time. It gives output on real-time things.

I would recommend AppDynamics. It's a very powerful tool for any organization to implement.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. The one thing that I find it difficult in using AppDynamics is, for any new user, it's not easy for him or her to configure the transactions in AppDynamics because the UI is pretty complex. The configuration is pretty complex for a new, fresh user. They can make the UI simpler, that'll be very helpful for anyone to configure their website in AppDynamics.

Find out what your peers are saying about AppDynamics, Zabbix, ITRS and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Anand Yadav
Sr Technical Architect at JDA
Easy to use, good support, and provides valuable insights and metrics

• "This solution gives us quite good insights that we might otherwise overlook, or it might take a really long time to debug those issues."
  • "I would like the ability to choose from some pre-defined dashboards and reports because as it is now, you have to define them separately for each implementation."

What is our primary use case?

We use AppDynmaics Server Monitoring to monitor and gain insight into what is happening in our infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution gives us quite good insights that we might otherwise overlook, or it might take a really long time to debug those issues. In our environment, we don't have visibility across multiple systems. They are all independently managed by different teams and it takes a very long time to contact each team, then get details about each different layer of the architecture. With AppDynamics, we have application transaction monitoring and database monitoring, which are quite good features.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is quite good and it is easy to navigate.

The insights and metrics that the system provides are very useful.

What needs improvement?

The configuration of user monitoring is a bit complex and should be made easier.

In our virtualized environment, we have visibility only up to the database. It would be helpful if we had more visibility beyond this point.

We have been using this product for almost six months.

This solution is quite stable.

In terms of scalability, it is quite easy to expand.

We have more than 150 servers that we are monitoring right now. There are three teams including development, operations, and implementation, and between them, we have more than 100 people using it.

The technical support is quite good.

This is the first enterprise-level tool that we have implemented for this purpose. Prior to AppDynamics, different departments and different teams were using other products for monitoring.

The initial set up is quite easy. It requires the deployment of a monitoring agent and it can be done in a couple of minutes.

My understanding is that the price of this solution is quite high, compared to other products. As such, pricing may be a concern for smaller organizations.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and one that I definitely recommend.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Download our free IT Infrastructure Monitoring Report and find out what your peers are saying about AppDynamics, Zabbix, ITRS, and more!