SS
Senior Technical Consultant at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Features a robust rules engine for building applications

• "Compared to other code tools that I've seen, Appian has a more robust rules engine"
  • "I wouldn't say their response time is long, but it could be quicker."

What is our primary use case?

We use Appian for business process management.

What is most valuable?

I like how quickly you can build applications. The low code aspect of it is really useful to get things out to market quickly. Compared to other code tools that I've seen, Appian has a more robust rules engine.

I've been an Appian consultant for three years now.

Appian virtually has a 99.99% uptime rating. It's very stable.

Appian is very scalable. There's a lot of options for bigger enterprises, like high availability. It's enterprise-grade for smaller to mid-sized businesses.

I have used their tech support, honestly, I'd probably give their support a rating of eight out of 10. They work pretty hard to try to figure out what's going on if there's an issue.

I wouldn't say their response time is long, but it could be quicker.

There's a one-time setup fee. I think they usually set it up for you. For the typical business user, it's straightforward as they don't have to do anything.

The pricing can be a little confusing to customers. Clients sometimes have to lay out their whole set of use cases and get them approved for specific types of licensing— it's on a case-to-case basis. I think that they're very actively working on improving this, but it can be quite difficult to work out the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Other than the pricing concerns, it's a really great platform.

If you're considering using Appian, my advice is to work with people that have experience building solutions with it, because that's going to lead to fewer problems down the line.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Appian a rating of nine. It's a great business management platform.

Private Cloud
Naveen Dundi
Solution Design Expert - BPM at Novartis Pharmaceuticals
Amazing support, stable, and regular feature updates and improvements

• "The solution's most valuable features are the regular periodic and quarterly updates, they are very useful updates. They keep improving the solution more often, and that helps the platform or code always be up to date with the latest features."
  • "The solution could improve by being more responsive when dealing with large quantities of data. Additionally, they can make the decision or rules engine better. It cannot handle too many rules or too many decisions at once."

What is our primary use case?

Appian can be used to helps organizations build applications and workflows.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable features are the regular periodic and quarterly updates, they are very useful updates. They keep improving the solution more often, and that helps the platform or code always be up to date with the latest features.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by being more responsive when dealing with large quantities of data. Additionally, they can make the decision or rules engine better. It cannot handle too many rules or too many decisions at once.

I have been using Appian for approximately six years.

The solution is stable.

The technical support is amazing. They have high availability when attending to tickets. The extent to which they go to support you is amazing. They go down deep into the issue you are facing and get you to the right expertise. You can access support through forums and the telephone which they respond quickly with details on a solution.

The standalone and distributed environment installations are straightforward. There are clear instructions, documentation, and support available. However, the installation into a distributed environment can be more challenging.

I have had assistance from Appian support for the implementations.

The license is a bit expensive and the pricing model is sometimes confusing for new users or business users. It is difficult for them to know what volume of usage they will have to be able to purchase the best-suited license at the beginning.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Appian an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Appian. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Paul Parisi
Enterprise Architect at Mobiliser
Fast to build simple to medium complexity solutions

• "Form building capabilities and well thought out process modelling are key points to this product."
  • "Authoring tool is slow to use resulted in limitations on how quickly solutions can be built."

What is our primary use case?

Process Automation and Forms Digitisation, implementation of organisational wide processes rather than use of COTS.

How has it helped my organization?

Appian was not selected by any of the organisations I've worked with to date for production use.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Support for complex models really needs significant improvement

Flexibility in the architecture is not there

Management or reusable assets is extremely limited and poorly designed

Business rules are not aligned to industry best practices

Authoring tool slow to use resulted in limitations on how quickly solutions can be built

Integration to project SDLC (such as testing methods, build systems etc needs work)

Trial/evaluations only.

This product is targeted to mid size companies and not highly scalable complex processes.

Average, although a small responsive team Appian has been fast growing stretching their ability to service customer needs.

Reasonable, stronger than say IBM or Oracle technical support but it is still critical to engage in a full POC activity with this product to ensure it fits your needs before proceeding with an implementation. The closed nature of the platform means there is limited to no help outside of that technical support team which is already stretched based on the ever increasing customer base.

What other advice do I have?

Compare this product closely to open source options, IBM and Pega. For simple solutions using simple models Appian may be sufficient and would provide better ROI than investing in building a team to support a more complex tool but for complex models I'd look for a stronger tool-set.

GT
CTO at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
The most complete platform of its kind, great for case management and document processing

What is our primary use case?

This solution is for process management, automation, insurance claim processing, those kinds of things. I'm the CTO and a reseller of this product.

What is most valuable?

This is the most complete solution of its kind, dealing with BPM and RPA, AI, case management, and document processing. It's a complete platform which is what makes it so good.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see business rules management included as part of the solution.

I've been using this solution for a year.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see business rules management included as part of the solution.

I've been using this solution for a year.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Appian provides great technical support.

The initial setup is very easy.

The product offers flexible licensing options.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Appian because I've had experience with other solutions and I know this is the best.

I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Nyamtseren Batdelger
CEO at DigitalWorks
Stable, easy to use, and strong financial industry features.

What is our primary use case?

Appian main focus is on the financial sector, especially banking use cases.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a lot of strong features for the financial industry, it is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve robotic process automation.

I have been using Appian for approximately one month.

The stability of this solution is good.

The scalability of Appian is good.

The installation did not give us any problems.

What is our primary use case?

Appian main focus is on the financial sector, especially banking use cases.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve robotic process automation.

I have been using Appian for approximately one month.

The stability of this solution is good.

The scalability of Appian is good.

The installation did not give us any problems.

We have approximately three people that do the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

The price of this solution is a little high here in Mongolia.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Appian a nine out of ten.

Download our free Appian Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.