Arcserve UDP Overview

Arcserve UDP is the #43 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Arcserve UDP vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Arcserve UDP?
Arcserve UDP is a comprehensive solution that empowers even a one-person IT department to protect virtual and physical environments with a high degree of simplicity. It allows you to design and manage your entire data protection strategy with a unified management console, and enables you to scale your data backup coverage as your organization grows with the push of a button.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Arcserve UDP Customers

ITPS, North Hertfordshire Homes, SEMIKRON, Kajaani University of Applied Sciences, Test Valley Borough Council, EK Services

Arcserve UDP Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Arcserve UDP pricing:
  • "We only have the maintenance of three standard UDP licenses. Each license is 50 Euro. There are some additional costs for the storage and software but it has nothing to do with the UDP."
  • "There is an annual license required for this solution and it is priced well."
  • "Normally our customers purchase the premium plus license, rather than the standard one, which provides more options."
  • "The price of this product is high and it should be lower."

LeanderVan Gorsel
Owner and ICT professional at InventX BV
Reseller
Offers good data protection functionalities and enables us to backup the virtual server

What is our primary use case?

We were using the hybrid model of this solution but now we're using the on-prem model. We switched to on-prem mainly because of the costs and that it's reachable when something happens. We use this solution to backup the virtual server.

• "The data protection functionality is the most valuable feature of this solution."
  • "It should be easier to switch between backup locations. We have multiple data storage locations and sometimes one of those storages need to be replaced. It would be nice if they made it easier to reconfigure the backup configuration."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Think better of the configuration before shutting off the whole backup environment because when it's running for a couple of months or years it's difficult to change the data storage location and configuration. It would be nice to have more of a whitepaper from Arcserve with respect to setting up certain environments.
Darshil Sanghvi
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Responsive technical support, plenty of backup options, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We have many servers at our branch head office that are on our premises. A few of those servers and many other user systems are completely being backed up by Arcserve UDP. Approximately 75% of the backups are handled by Arcserve UDP.

• "There are many backup options available in this solution. For example, you are able to do backups of servers, email, OST files, and users. This is a complete backup solution which is very good."
  • "The solution can use a lot of bandwidth when the scheduling is not done, it should auto-schedule itself. For example, if there are 50 users connected in the network at 12 o'clock and the backup is not scheduled. At this time the network offices are going to have performance issues when it is doing a backup. Having a feature to auto-schedule a time when the network is not being used often would be beneficial."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is if they want a comprehensive solution where they can do backups of their servers, applications, emails, and user systems Arcserve is a good choice. I rate Arcserve UDP an eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Arcserve, Veeam Software, Acronis and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AK
Manager, Pre-sales - Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Added security through encryption and password protection, but speed of snapshot-level backup needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider company, and I work with vendors to find products for my customers. This is one of the solutions that we provide and have customers working with. This solution is used to perform backups of servers, including information from the cloud. We have experience with the on-premises and hybrid-cloud deployment models, including Microsoft Azure cloud.

• "The most valuable features are the replication to the cloud and the deduplication."
  • "In the most recent version of premium plus the replication has been removed, and it should re-added to the solution."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution because it offers multiple hybrid options. The same product can support local backup, cloud backup, and backup a server to the cloud as well. It is a complete portfolio available in a single product. When comparing to other products, all of the options are available. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
TC
Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
A good backup solution with very good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup purposes.

• "The backup is the most valuable feature. It also makes storage very easy."
  • "The only problem with the solution is that when I change the drive capacity, it has to do a full backup. It's a problem when I have five servers to backup. When I only want to change the size of the drive, I have to do a full backup that can take one week."

What other advice do I have?

I am using the on-premises version of the solution. I like the solution; it's working well for us. I would rate it eight out of ten.
AM
IT Manager at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Duplication works well but the support needs to be better

• "The most valuable feature is the duplication."
  • "Based on my experience, whenever we need support, there are difficulties with communication when trying to resolve the issue."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Arcserve, Veeam Software, Acronis, and more!