Arcserve UDP OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Arcserve UDP is the #50 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Arcserve UDP vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Arcserve UDP?
Arcserve UDP is a comprehensive solution that empowers even a one-person IT department to protect virtual and physical environments with a high degree of simplicity. It allows you to design and manage your entire data protection strategy with a unified management console, and enables you to scale your data backup coverage as your organization grows with the push of a button.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

Arcserve UDP Customers

ITPS, North Hertfordshire Homes, SEMIKRON, Kajaani University of Applied Sciences, Test Valley Borough Council, EK Services

Arcserve UDP Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

AK
Manager, Pre-sales - Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Added security through encryption and password protection, but speed of snapshot-level backup needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider company, and I work with vendors to find products for my customers. This is one of the solutions that we provide and have customers working with. This solution is used to perform backups of servers, including information from the cloud. We have experience with the on-premises and hybrid-cloud deployment models, including Microsoft Azure cloud.

• "The most valuable features are the replication to the cloud and the deduplication."
  • "In the most recent version of premium plus the replication has been removed, and it should re-added to the solution."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution because it offers multiple hybrid options. The same product can support local backup, cloud backup, and backup a server to the cloud as well. It is a complete portfolio available in a single product. When comparing to other products, all of the options are available. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
TC
Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
A good backup solution with very good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup purposes.

• "The backup is the most valuable feature. It also makes storage very easy."
  • "The only problem with the solution is that when I change the drive capacity, it has to do a full backup. It's a problem when I have five servers to backup. When I only want to change the size of the drive, I have to do a full backup that can take one week."

What other advice do I have?

I am using the on-premises version of the solution. I like the solution; it's working well for us. I would rate it eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Arcserve, Veeam Software, Acronis and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: August 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
LeanderVan Gorsel
Owner and ICT professional at InventX BV
Reseller
Offers good data protection functionalities and enables us to backup the virtual server

What is our primary use case?

We were using the hybrid model of this solution but now we're using the on-prem model. We switched to on-prem mainly because of the costs and that it's reachable when something happens. We use this solution to backup the virtual server.

• "The data protection functionality is the most valuable feature of this solution."
  • "It should be easier to switch between backup locations. We have multiple data storage locations and sometimes one of those storages need to be replaced. It would be nice if they made it easier to reconfigure the backup configuration."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Think better of the configuration before shutting off the whole backup environment because when it's running for a couple of months or years it's difficult to change the data storage location and configuration. It would be nice to have more of a whitepaper from Arcserve with respect to setting up certain environments.
TC
Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
It's good software that is doing the work of restoring that we need.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for backup and restoring. We use it for our VMware solutions and also our physical machines. It's good software that is helping us with our restoring.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are that I can by just one click, copy and paste anything that I would want. I do not have to restore the whole virtual machine."
  • "It is very stable."
  • "Every time I change the disc, I have to do a full backup."

What other advice do I have?

Before choosing a solution, I always consider the stability and whether it is doing the work and restoring that it is supposed to do.
PaulGeorge
Senior Analyst Programmer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Does not allow us to independently restore individual users' mailboxes

• "It allows us to back up all the servers and centrally manage them."
  • "We cannot restore each user's mailbox. Each user's mailbox should be independently restorable. Also, this solution is very slow. If you select all of the servers, it runs for a long time... It needs to be faster. Finally, If anything happens to one server we should be able to switch to another server."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Arcserve at five out of 10. It's slow, and we cannot restore each user's mailbox individually.
it_user720501
Cyber Security Architect and Founder at a non-tech company
Enables High Availability Although It's Expensive

What other advice do I have?

Go with Veeam. Veeam is cheaper and more flexible and uses few VM intermediaries.
it_user718476
Senior System Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 5,001-10,000 employees
One Software, One Console For All Kinds Of Data Protection

What other advice do I have?

Just use Arcserve UDP for Backup, Replication, and a High Availability solution. It is one software and one console for all kinds of data protection.
it_user718482
IT Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy To Use, Good Stability, And Disk Space Gain With Greater Data Protection

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate the functions that the product has available without additional pricing.
Gustavo Lopes
IT Specialist at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Data Store Deduplication: Saving Space On Storage And Time To Backup​.

What other advice do I have?

Mind the prerequisites planning. The deployment thinking is three years in the future.
Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
We have a backup which is replicated to a remote site with instant recovery

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product for most of the organizations.
CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It allowed me to build a low-cost DR site that replicates from the backup, but it currently lacks SIFS (NetApp or EMC) support from the UDP console.
Partner with 51-200 employees
An excellent DR\BC platform for a hospitality management
An excellent DR\BC platform for a hospitality management company who does not want lose revenue because of system outage or natural disaster.
Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Arcserve, Veeam Software, Acronis, and more!