ARIS BPA Overview

ARIS BPA is the #6 ranked solution in our list of Business Process Design tools. It is most often compared to Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect: ARIS BPA vs Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect

What is ARIS BPA?

Software AG's ARIS Business Process Analysis Platform is ideal for organizations that want to document, analyze, standardize and improve their processes. Design, document, analyze, optimize and communicate processes to achieve business process excellence by using the ARIS Business Process Analysis Platform. With more efficient processes across business, IT and SAP systems, your Digital Enterprise can respond to changing business and market requirements more quickly.

ARIS BPA is also known as ARIS, ARIS BPM.

ARIS BPA Buyer's Guide

Download the ARIS BPA Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

ARIS BPA Customers

Fujitsu, Coca Cola, ING, Credit Suisse, Electrolux

ARIS BPA Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ARIS BPA pricing:
  • "The setup cost and pricing depend on the license (Modeler, Viewer, Administrator)."
  • "This is absolutely not the cheapest solution in the market, but for large companies, the price is fine."
  • "The price could be better."
  • "It depends on different parameters."

OM
Business Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Enables us to query information to see where everything is

What is our primary use case?

We are now using ARIS BPM long-term. We are using it as the default tool for our team analytics. For meetings, we use ARIS BPM. For some of the meetings, we use EPC, but we're planning to move to ARIS BPM. We also use ARIS BPM as the solution architect with those models. We are currently reviewing the accuracy of ARIS BPM in moving data to the enterprise for analytics.

• "The stability of the ARIS BPM platform is quite good. The nice thing about it is the central database, where we can use all of our data. We can even manage users."
  • "With ARIS BPM, the script creation is quite cumbersome. With version ten, we needed our developers to do scripting."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anyone to consider the pricing model first. ARIS BPM is one of the good tools which offers BPM functionality. We are planning to go the route of attaching documents so they can upload them. In this way, we will be able to meet our needs where they are located so we can print and use materials. ARIS BPM is a good program. It's one of the leaders in the management of business processes. They should consider centralizing the team and the management of their business processes. I would give ARIS BPM an eight to nine out of ten. If I rate at ten then I would be overlooking the…
JL
Lead Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Holistic views of process modeling show interrelated effects between new and old processes

What is our primary use case?

The process modeling capabilities are what we use this for primarily.

• "ARIS is probably the most mature product in terms of modeling an enterprise architecture so that it has context."
  • "The initial setup and installation are very straightforward."
  • "The interface is a little archaic."
  • "The workflow approval process could be represented better in the overviews."

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend the product to users seeking this kind of solution, especially for the architecture practice. If you want to have a knowledge base or a repository for architects it is very good for an overview of the enterprise architecture. Normally in a new business venture — that being a business case, a new software offering, or a new capability — the new process needs to be introduced to an existing architecture. Companies will already have a mature backend with legacy applications and integrations. It is good to keep a repository of the development to make sure that the history of…
Learn what your peers think about ARIS BPA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Managing Director at Andrew Lim Consulting
Detailed EPC modeling and helpful semantic check, but doesn't feel like it was designed for business users

What is our primary use case?

ARIS was used to capture current business processes in ARIS EPC through a series of workshops. Level 1-3 VACD, Level 4 EPC (Event-driven Process Chain) and FAD (Function Allocation Diagram), Activities, Roles, Metrics, Risk and Control, RACI, etc. It was used to operationalize new business processes and also in preparation for a case management system migration to Salesforce. The management, team leader, and staff were trained to read the EPC process model and taught how to navigate ARIS in the production environment.

• "The EPC modeling is very detailed, the semantic check is helpful, and auto-layout simplifies the formatting."
  • "The model graphics can be exported in PDF, but the model is too small to read."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to try different BPM providers and download the demo for 30/90 days to see if it meets your organization's needs. A basic tool means that you will outgrow it quickly, whereas top-end solutions may be too costly and difficult to implement.
Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good web-based portal that supports simple modeling, but the technical support has room for improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and ARIS BPM is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

• "The most valuable feature in the latest versions is the connect portal, where you can do very simple modeling using the web-based portal."
  • "If you want to create new reports then you have to use JavaScript, or ARIS script as they call it, which is beyond the competencies of most people."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing ARIS BPM is to have a good organization in place first. You really need to have ownership because if you implement ARIS and start using it there you have quite a few admin functions that you need to have in place. For example, looking at conventions, filtering, reports, account management, etc. There's a lot of work to be done and ownership in this regard is very important. In summary, this is a good product but there is room for improvement in several areas. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Principal Consultant at Palmira
An intuitive business process management tool with a useful documentation feature

What is our primary use case?

Most of my projects are in business process management and digital transformation. I'm using this tool for authentication. We're heavy users. We're using it to manage the marketing use cases, for example, requirements management, subscription planning, project management, and other tools to be deployed in our projects. The tool to be used in all our projects so internally we're using it for requirements management, project management, and for example, to maintain our ISO certificate.

• "The most valuable feature is the process documentation. For us, ARIS is a lifestyle more than a tool. It helps us learn how to think and how to plan for our system."
  • "There is a lot of room for improvement. They need to increase the performance of the system flow. They need to support it more. ARIS Process Governance is still quite basic, and they are using an old BPM and process automation module."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give ARIS BPM an eight.
VS
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Relieves the user of having to deal with mapping, analyzing & sharing using office tools; very professional.

What is our primary use case?

One of the main demands that we have at the moment from our customers is not only to map and share their diagrams but also to govern them and automate them. Our major customers come from the banking sector and we also have 2/3 of the telcos and some insurance companies of our country on board. We are a partner with ARIS and I'm the senior manager.

• "The ability to sort via multiple criteria to identify the relationships you need for a specific object."
  • "The governance mechanism could be better, as could automation."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.
CEO at Exergy Energy
Intuitive, easy to use, and adheres to the standards extremely well

What is our primary use case?

Our customers have generators on their facilities, and we manage those generators to provide services to the grid and reduce their costs. It involves peak shaving and that sort of stuff. We use ARIS BPM to essentially automate the communication to the grid and the generator and then update all of the account information regarding those transactions.

• "The ease of use is the most valuable. I have tried a number of BPMN packages, and I find the user interface of ARIS BPM easier and more intuitive than others. If your team is knowledgeable on BPMN, it is really pretty easy to figure out on your own because it adheres to the standards extremely well. I have tried Bizagi, BizFlow, and a variety of such solutions, and I just liked ARIS BPM better."
  • "I use it strictly for developing the business process model. I don't use it for the actual automation. I do that with Vtenext. I have standardized on Vtenext, and I don't use ARIS BPM anymore. The Vtenext UI is just as good, and it is much more tightly coupled to the underlying object model. I can get more done in one session with Vtenext rather than first going to ARIS BPM, then importing, and having to edit it for tight coupling."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend ARIS BPM depending upon the use case. I would generally recommend Vtenext first. I found Vtenext on GitHub as I was looking through and trying out lots of BPMN and BPA stuff. I used their product, and it is a really good product. We've now partnered with them. I would rate ARIS BPM an eight out of ten.
ST
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A stable, scalable, and complete solution that can be used from strategy to execution

What is our primary use case?

As the name suggests, it is a process performance monitoring tool. It is used for discovering or finding the gap between what has been designed and what has been implemented. This is one of the checks that you can do with the help of BPM, and then you can re-engineer your process in a very correct manner.

• "It provides the discovery functionality, and you can have a simulation on top of it to get your design corrected to ensure that it is within the right state of parameters. It is a complete package that you can use from strategy to execution because you have the design layer, and within the design, you can also do analytics."
  • "Its governance tool and integration with ESB and execution engine can be improved. Their partner support can also be improved."

What other advice do I have?

It has been in the market for the last 20 to 25 years, so it has most of the capabilities. I would rate ARIS BPM an eight out of ten as an architectural tool.
See 3 more ARIS BPA Reviews