ARIS BPA OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ARIS BPA is the #7 ranked solution in our list of Business Process Design tools. It is most often compared to SAP Signavio Process Manager: ARIS BPA vs SAP Signavio Process Manager

What is ARIS BPA?

Software AG's ARIS Business Process Analysis Platform is ideal for organizations that want to document, analyze, standardize and improve their processes. Design, document, analyze, optimize and communicate processes to achieve business process excellence by using the ARIS Business Process Analysis Platform. With more efficient processes across business, IT and SAP systems, your Digital Enterprise can respond to changing business and market requirements more quickly.

ARIS BPA is also known as ARIS, ARIS BPM.

ARIS BPA Buyer's Guide

Download the ARIS BPA Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

ARIS BPA Customers

Fujitsu, Coca Cola, ING, Credit Suisse, Electrolux

ARIS BPA Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ARIS BPA pricing:
  • "The setup cost and pricing depend on the license (Modeler, Viewer, Administrator)."
  • "This is absolutely not the cheapest solution in the market, but for large companies, the price is fine."
  • "The price could be better."
  • "It depends on different parameters."

ARIS BPA Reviews

JL
Lead Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Holistic views of process modeling show interrelated effects between new and old processes

• "ARIS is probably the most mature product in terms of modeling an enterprise architecture so that it has context."
  • "The initial setup and installation are very straightforward."
  • "The interface is a little archaic."
  • "The workflow approval process could be represented better in the overviews."

What is our primary use case?

The process modeling capabilities are what we use this for primarily.

What is most valuable?

ARIS is probably the most mature product I know of in terms of modeling an enterprise architecture so that it has context. When you need to make changes to processes, there is a view where you can actually see what other processes within different use cases or different functional areas use the same process and what those changes can affect. Workflows can be used across different business areas and that gives a really good, holistic view of what modifications end up affecting.

What needs improvement?

Some of the interactions with different versions of browsers caused a little bit of angst because there are certain corporate SOEs (Standard Operating Environments), which do not lend themselves well to representation in the latest version of ARIS. The product is sort of one version behind with current trends, typically.

I have definitely seen better UIs, but the crux of why we use the ARIS process modeler is because we have everything all one suite. When you talk about enterprise architecture, application architecture, process architecture, or whatever else you want to model and monitor, these processes are all in the same place. You can make cross-references or create links between processes, you can link part of a model to an application, you can link to a capability view, et cetera. As an enterprise architecture tool, there is probably very little they can improve on at least compared to other modelers.

Because you keep on working with different versions of a model, the only way to maintain a record is to take a snapshot. Certain things are still in design or still in the conceptualization stage. Other things have already gone into production. At a glance, it is quite hard to work out which processes are at a particular stage. The overview is very flat. Having some form of a hierarchy in terms of approvals or a sort of ranking would be good. This could show whether a process has been deployed or not, or if it is still just a conceptual model. Some sort of formal approval process that defines a released version of your models could be incorporated into the workflow approval process to help visualize what stage a process is in.

I have probably been using ARIS (Architecture of Integrated Information Systems) BPM (Business Process Management)for about four years now. I used ARIS BPM before coming to this company, but quite a while ago. That was about a year ago, and that was version 10 or 11 or something in that range.

Stability is very much dependent on the network. If the network is not so good, then you might experience some stability issues. It would be good if you had an offline version or some means of caching development. I am not sure whether that is in the ARIS roadmap.

All BAs (Business Analyst) use ARIS, especially for process modeling. We have a team of probably 50 people who use ARIS modeler to see the process flows, but there are different roles. I am an architect so I can see everything. BAs can only view or read, they can not contribute to the capability models. The roles help scale out so the right people get the appropriate access without causing development issues.

We have our own administrators here who maintain the product.

The initial setup and installation are very straightforward. The administration is a bit clunky because of the way it is set up as a Software-as-a-Service. There was not really a Single Sign-On capability for the tool. You have to maintain your login separately and that is a little archaic.

Because it was already running, there was not really a deployment to get me going with the product. It was just a matter of adding me as a user.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend the product to users seeking this kind of solution, especially for the architecture practice. If you want to have a knowledge base or a repository for architects it is very good for an overview of the enterprise architecture. Normally in a new business venture — that being a business case, a new software offering, or a new capability — the new process needs to be introduced to an existing architecture. Companies will already have a mature backend with legacy applications and integrations. It is good to keep a repository of the development to make sure that the history of that evolution stays within the company's knowledge base for later reference.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate the ARIS BPM solution overall as a product as probably an eight-out-of-ten. It is not rated higher because the user interface is not as modern as other modeling tools like Bizagi, which looks nice. With ARIS you are quite limited when it comes to the look and feel.

That issue with look-and-feel becomes more important when you try to present something to executives. When it looks like your ten-year-old has done something to present in grammar school, it is not the right thing to be showing at a high-level meeting. The content is all there, but it just looks like it is just scraped together rather than properly designed.

Andrew-Lim
Managing Director at Andrew Lim Consulting
Detailed EPC modeling and helpful semantic check, but doesn't feel like it was designed for business users

• "The EPC modeling is very detailed, the semantic check is helpful, and auto-layout simplifies the formatting."
  • "The model graphics can be exported in PDF, but the model is too small to read."

What is our primary use case?

ARIS was used to capture current business processes in ARIS EPC through a series of workshops. Level 1-3 VACD, Level 4 EPC (Event-driven Process Chain) and FAD (Function Allocation Diagram), Activities, Roles, Metrics, Risk and Control, RACI, etc.

It was used to operationalize new business processes and also in preparation for a case management system migration to Salesforce. The management, team leader, and staff were trained to read the EPC process model and taught how to navigate ARIS in the production environment.

How has it helped my organization?

The selection criteria for ARIS as the preferred BPM was questionable in my opinion.

The main reason it was chosen is that it was on the government "approved" product list.

The solution was too complex/advanced for the organization's requirements and a big team was hired to manage the administration of ARIS and maintain it.

The choice to model the business process in EPC instead of BPMN was made by the organization and no fault of ARIS; ARIS is most certainly capable of modeling in BPMN. There's a lot of time and effort spent to help staff get their head around how to read an EPC in ARIS.

What is most valuable?

The EPC modeling is very detailed, the semantic check is helpful, and auto-layout simplifies the formatting.

The process interface is valuable for identifying the upstream and downstream processes.

The approval process for the ARIS EPC from the design, staging, and production environment is pretty good. You can obtain feedback on the process model; however, this functionality seems a bit limited by today's standard as some other BPM allows you to comment on the objects within the process model, which makes gathering feedback and making changes easier.

What needs improvement?

ARIS EPC & FAD features and functionality does not feel like they are not designed for business users. Instead, it feels like they are geared for Process Modelers and Technology users who are focused on System Interface, User Interface, Risk and Control, etc.

Trying to read an EPC in a screen Top-Down while dragging the screen is next to impossible.

The model graphics can be exported in PDF, but the model is too small to read.

In my experience, once the organization creates the process model in ARIS EPC, it will take approximately two years before most organizations ditch any effort to update it. It takes more effort to maintain it than the value that an organization gets out of it.

The requirements for events after the rules, whilst accurate, simply take up too much space and makes the process model difficult to read.

Connecting the upstream and downstream process interface is a pain.

The auto-layout is a great feature but does not work as expected all of the time, as lines appear to overlap and can be confusing to read unless you click on the line to highlight it.

We have been using ARIS BPM for two years.

It's pretty stable, at 95% in my experience. There was the odd occasion when the system was down and it took 48 hours to resolve the issue.

More licenses can be added as the demand grows, it just costs more.

Visio was used initially prior to ARIS. Visio lacked the BPM functionality.

It was implemented through an ARIS vendor and the level of expertise was good.

I would suggest trying at least three vendors and obtain written quotes.

ARIS was the only government "approved" software that the organization was "allowed" to purchase. This was a questionable decision.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to try different BPM providers and download the demo for 30/90 days to see if it meets your organization's needs. A basic tool means that you will outgrow it quickly, whereas top-end solutions may be too costly and difficult to implement.

Learn what your peers think about ARIS BPA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Niels Doeleman
Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good web-based portal that supports simple modeling, but the technical support has room for improvement

• "The most valuable feature in the latest versions is the connect portal, where you can do very simple modeling using the web-based portal."
  • "If you want to create new reports then you have to use JavaScript, or ARIS script as they call it, which is beyond the competencies of most people."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and ARIS BPM is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in the latest versions is the connect portal, where you can do modeling in a very simple manner using the web-based portal.

What needs improvement?

If you look at the administration function, it is rather complex.

I would recommend to Software AG that they move to SaaS as soon as possible. Currently, they have a cloud offering, but they don't really have a SaaS business model in place. They are still thinking in terms of licenses and my recommendation to them would be to stop doing this and move to SaaS ASAP because all of the other competitors are moving in that direction. As a SaaS, they might reconsider the positioning of the ARIS portfolio in the markets and to have, for example, specific pricing or specific environments for mid-size companies, instead of just a single implementation for enterprises.

I have been working with ARIS BPM for between 16 and 20 years.

In terms of stability, it depends because there are several possibilities for how it is hosted. If it is on-premises then I can't say anything in terms of stability. However, the Amazon cloud is quite stable. We offer our own cloud environment and over the past four years, it has proven to be really stable.

Overall, if you look at the environment, it's quite stable, and if you look at the product, it's also very much improved in the last years.

My clients for this product are enterprise-level companies.

There is room for improvement, especially in the communication area. If you have Software AG as technical support in a partner environment, there is obvious room for improvement here.

I have worked with a lot of similar products including BiZZdesign, Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect, and Bizagti. We are also currently doing a lot with GBTEC BIC.

At this time, I would recommend the BIC product from GBTEC the most because it comes down more or less to a newly developed ARIS environment, but in better shape. The core code of the product is new, and you might say, in general, that this is a better product. Also, if you look at the functionalities that they are building, it is less complex. It's more of a SaaS product and it's much easier to use.

This product is rather complex to set up.

Currently, ARIS is just targeting enterprises of, for example, one-billion-plus companies. For these organizations, the price is fine. This is absolutely not the cheapest solution in the market, but for large companies, the price is fine.

If one were targeting companies of perhaps a hundred million and a billion, then the price might be a bit on the high side. For companies below a hundred million, then it's too expensive I would say.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing ARIS BPM is to have a good organization in place first. You really need to have ownership because if you implement ARIS and start using it there you have quite a few admin functions that you need to have in place. For example, looking at conventions, filtering, reports, account management, etc. There's a lot of work to be done and ownership in this regard is very important.

In summary, this is a good product but there is room for improvement in several areas.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Mohammed Sulty
Principal Consultant at Palmira
An intuitive business process management tool with a useful documentation feature

• "The most valuable feature is the process documentation. For us, ARIS is a lifestyle more than a tool. It helps us learn how to think and how to plan for our system."
  • "There is a lot of room for improvement. They need to increase the performance of the system flow. They need to support it more. ARIS Process Governance is still quite basic, and they are using an old BPM and process automation module."

What is our primary use case?

Most of my projects are in business process management and digital transformation. I'm using this tool for authentication.

We're heavy users. We're using it to manage the marketing use cases, for example, requirements management, subscription planning, project management, and other tools to be deployed in our projects.

The tool to be used in all our projects so internally we're using it for requirements management, project management, and for example, to maintain our ISO certificate.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the process documentation. For us, ARIS is a lifestyle more than a tool. It helps us learn how to think and how to plan for our system.

I don't know why Software AG is saying that it's for business process management. It's an enterprise management system that connects all the documentation and business processes.

It's not only documenting. It's about executing and developing business processes, performance management, strategic planning, and project management. Limited use cases can be used for documentation and for generating analytics to identify gaps in the organization.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of room for improvement. They need to increase the performance of the system flow. They need to support it more. ARIS Process Governance is still quite basic, and they are using an old BPM and process automation module.

They have a problem with the form. It's good but has limitations when integrating with other systems. This means that ARIS Process Governance or process automation is limited to the ARIS framework.

Integration with other systems is available with the ARIS API but isn't usable in APG. There isn't a proper workflow, and they need to merge their API module with the APG module. This will increase the capability of the form builder. Customization of ARIS will also be simpler and more user-friendly. They have tried to do that for more than ten years, but I don't know what they are doing now.

The installer could be improved to avoid multiple installations. For example, you have to run a script in the database site to complete the installer. So all those should be in one single point for installation. Enter all this data in the installer, and the installer will go and create the system database in the database. The price could also be better.

I have been using ARIS BPM since 2001. I might be one of the first ARIS users in the Middle East region.

It's not a stable solution. Although you're able to import and export between other systems like Camunda and Juniper, it's not able to exchange the BPM location between ARIS and Mendix. This is not possible, and it will not be possible.

Technical support could be better. On a scale from one to five, I'd give them a two. Their response times are slow. They never commit to a time to respond to our queries.

The initial setup is still very subjective. But the installation is easy. It'll take about five to six hours to get it up and running.

We're an integrator, and we use the API module to enable full integration.

The price could be better.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give ARIS BPM an eight.

VS
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Relieves the user of having to deal with mapping, analyzing & sharing using office tools; very professional.

• "The ability to sort via multiple criteria to identify the relationships you need for a specific object."
  • "The governance mechanism could be better, as could automation."

What is our primary use case?

One of the main demands that we have at the moment from our customers is not only to map and share their diagrams but also to govern them and automate them. Our major customers come from the banking sector and we also have 2/3 of the telcos and some insurance companies of our country on board. We are a partner with ARIS and I'm the senior manager.

What is most valuable?

I really fancy the fact that this solution makes it so easy to have a clear understanding of how the objects you are mapping are used in your database. You can select an object and have a list of all the diagrams that it has been re-used and you can also have it output as an Excel file. There is also the ability to sort via multiple criteria to identify the relationships you need for a specific object and also find correlated models. This is one of the strongest features of the solution. It's better than having to do all the mapping and the analysis using your office tools. It is really powerful, especially if you have a large team that can spend a lot of time working on new solutions and new use cases. Competition has increased in the last few years and there are now clones of ARIS on the market but they don't go as deep as ARIS, so the ARIS product is still far ahead.

What needs improvement?

Most of our customers and myself would expect that the next complementary step for this platform would be to offer easily customizable content governance. Mini workflows provided out of the box should be open to be easily adapted by customers.

There could also be improvements to the automation part which some new -with the BPM practice- customers find a bit overwhelming. Other vendors are promoting that they have diagrams automated within the same platform. For this to happen with ARIS there is an extra step required to export these diagrams in the webmethods platform, which can be overwhelming for customers because web methods is a very huge though very powerful automation engine and they hesitate to deal with it.

It's clear that there are different skills required for mapping compared to those required for automation. In an ideal world, you'd have a mixed team working in automation projects. It would be nice to offer them just one tool for satisfying these two different audiences.

I've been using this solution for 20 years.

Very reliable

The initial setup is pretty easy but in most cases of large enterprises adaptation is required based on their LDAP Integration and SSO needs. It's the first step with every customer. Software AG'' s team is always willing to help us out in any situation even in the most demanding cases where functionality customization was requested.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
David March
CEO at Exergy Energy
Intuitive, easy to use, and adheres to the standards extremely well

• "The ease of use is the most valuable. I have tried a number of BPMN packages, and I find the user interface of ARIS BPM easier and more intuitive than others. If your team is knowledgeable on BPMN, it is really pretty easy to figure out on your own because it adheres to the standards extremely well. I have tried Bizagi, BizFlow, and a variety of such solutions, and I just liked ARIS BPM better."
  • "I use it strictly for developing the business process model. I don't use it for the actual automation. I do that with Vtenext. I have standardized on Vtenext, and I don't use ARIS BPM anymore. The Vtenext UI is just as good, and it is much more tightly coupled to the underlying object model. I can get more done in one session with Vtenext rather than first going to ARIS BPM, then importing, and having to edit it for tight coupling."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers have generators on their facilities, and we manage those generators to provide services to the grid and reduce their costs. It involves peak shaving and that sort of stuff. We use ARIS BPM to essentially automate the communication to the grid and the generator and then update all of the account information regarding those transactions.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is the most valuable. I have tried a number of BPMN packages, and I find the user interface of ARIS BPM easier and more intuitive than others. If your team is knowledgeable on BPMN, it is really pretty easy to figure out on your own because it adheres to the standards extremely well. I have tried Bizagi, BizFlow, and a variety of such solutions, and I just liked ARIS BPM better.

What needs improvement?

I use it strictly for developing the business process model. I don't use it for the actual automation. I do that with Vtenext. I have standardized on Vtenext, and I don't use ARIS BPM anymore. The Vtenext UI is just as good, and it is much more tightly coupled to the underlying object model. I can get more done in one session with Vtenext rather than first going to ARIS BPM, then importing, and having to edit it for tight coupling.

I have been using ARIS BPM off and on for six months.

I would not comment on this because we use it primarily just for the business process modeling and not the automation. So, I really can't comment on scaling. We have four users who are using this solution.

We never contacted them. Its user interface is good and pretty intuitive.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We implemented it through an in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend ARIS BPM depending upon the use case. I would generally recommend Vtenext first. I found Vtenext on GitHub as I was looking through and trying out lots of BPMN and BPA stuff. I used their product, and it is a really good product. We've now partnered with them.

I would rate ARIS BPM an eight out of ten.

ST
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A stable, scalable, and complete solution that can be used from strategy to execution

• "It provides the discovery functionality, and you can have a simulation on top of it to get your design corrected to ensure that it is within the right state of parameters. It is a complete package that you can use from strategy to execution because you have the design layer, and within the design, you can also do analytics."
  • "Its governance tool and integration with ESB and execution engine can be improved. Their partner support can also be improved."

What is our primary use case?

As the name suggests, it is a process performance monitoring tool. It is used for discovering or finding the gap between what has been designed and what has been implemented. This is one of the checks that you can do with the help of BPM, and then you can re-engineer your process in a very correct manner.

What is most valuable?

It provides the discovery functionality, and you can have a simulation on top of it to get your design corrected to ensure that it is within the right state of parameters. It is a complete package that you can use from strategy to execution because you have the design layer, and within the design, you can also do analytics.

What needs improvement?

Its governance tool and integration with ESB and execution engine can be improved.

Their partner support can also be improved.

I have been using this solution for around six or seven years.

It is stable.

Scalability is there. They are going for cloud-based deployment, which will provide more scalability. They are also going for the database deployment, which will also be one of the things that can be used for scalability. Our clients are enterprise businesses.

Their customer support is good, but their partner support can be improved. They can provide more technical enablement so that there is more focus on the partner, and they get more attention.

It is quite easy.

It depends on different parameters.

What other advice do I have?

It has been in the market for the last 20 to 25 years, so it has most of the capabilities. I would rate ARIS BPM an eight out of ten as an architectural tool.

LD
Estagiária em processos
Professional, feature-rich tools, but it is complicated to learn and set up

• "Aris BPA has a lot of tools that are more professional than Bizagi."
  • "The solution is difficult and not very exciting to learn."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution for a school project. I am using it in my laboratory back in Uni for research.

What is most valuable?

Aris BPA has a lot of tools that are more professional than Bizagi.

What needs improvement?

I didn't like working with this solution. The design and functions are lacking and they are better in Bizagi.

The interface could be improved.

The solution is difficult and not very exciting to learn. It was a bit complicated to understand. Aris BPA is very complex and very difficult to start learning and onboarding.

When you compare it with Bizagi, Bizagi is better. The interface is nicer, the onboarding process is easier, and they have a manual for you to start with. It is better because I could understand how to start with it.

I used it for a short time only. It was for a quick project that I had in college.

My experience is with Bizagi and Aris.

I have only been using Bizagi for two days. I don't have a lot of experience with it.

The only issues that I have with Bizagi are that it is resource-heavy, causing it to be slow and laggy, and there are too many visible features. It could be better organized and some of the features could be hidden which would make it better.

Aris BPA is difficult to set up and get started with.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Bizagi a nine out of ten and Aris BPA, a seven out of ten.