ARIS BPA Overview

ARIS BPA is the #6 ranked solution in our list of Business Process Design tools. It is most often compared to Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect: ARIS BPA vs Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect

What is ARIS BPA?

Software AG's ARIS Business Process Analysis Platform is ideal for organizations that want to document, analyze, standardize and improve their processes. Design, document, analyze, optimize and communicate processes to achieve business process excellence by using the ARIS Business Process Analysis Platform. With more efficient processes across business, IT and SAP systems, your Digital Enterprise can respond to changing business and market requirements more quickly.

ARIS BPA is also known as ARIS, ARIS BPM.

ARIS BPA Buyer's Guide

Download the ARIS BPA Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

ARIS BPA Customers

Fujitsu, Coca Cola, ING, Credit Suisse, Electrolux

ARIS BPA Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

BPM Assistant Manager at TEB
Easy to follow and manage business processes, but integration with external tools needs to be simpler

What is our primary use case?

I used to work for the company who set this solution up for customers. However, I am now an end-user, and perform the role of system architect.

• "The most valuable features are business process modeling and reporting."
  • "I would like to see the reporting aspects improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product because it is really easy to use. This is a good solution, but it needs better integration with external tools and it is expensive. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
AVP & Head of Policies and Procedures Management Dept. at Union National Bank
Helpful solution for process modeling, process measurement, and simulations

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for process modeling.

• "It has the ability to scale up, as well as integrate with other systems within the organization to get real-time information from dashboards and reports."
  • "Making it more customizable and easy to learn would be a benefit."

What other advice do I have?

As for staying with this solution, we have to look at the alternatives available in the market. If something better comes up, and we can make an evaluation and make a shift, why not, but as of now ARIS is a good solution for us, it is working well. I do recommend ARIS as a tool for others. It is a very helpful solution for process modeling, process measurement, and simulations. It has the ability to scale up, as well as integrate with other systems within the organization to get real-time information from dashboards and reports. It has a lot of capabilities. It has helped us in designing the…
Learn what your peers think about ARIS BPA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.
WR
Business Solutions at a healthcare company with 1-10 employees

What is our primary use case?

The reporting by ARIS is clearly helps us see which resources are doing enough.

• "You can relate different aspects of an organization to each other, and you can clearly define the rates seen in the application."
  • "One of the biggest challenges is to realistically enable the defined structures of the processes that you have in ARIS documented, and then actually implement them in the business."
Process Transformation Lead at Jaguar Land Rover
It has allowed us to model our enterprise process architecture

What is our primary use case?

It is used primarily as a process documentation and repository platform. It's also used to organise desktop procedures.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to promote the awareness of process management across our enterprise. It has allowed us to model our enterprise process architecture.

What is most valuable?

The reports capability Object relationships Architectural definitions Multiple model types Semantic check capabilities

What needs improvement?

ARIS Connect capability: Ability to switch from a vertical step view to a horizontal. Displaying role allocation matrix models in ARIS Connect.

EM
Manager at Entel
User
BPA is the main module that we use because of our need for documentation

What is our primary use case?

All macro processes and processes in the area of ​​continuous improvement were modeled in the company. These were done with the primary purpose of documentation and having a centralized place for processes.

How has it helped my organization?

ARIS is an important tool for my organization. This tool is the core of our processes and different business areas.

What is most valuable?

BPA, the modeling tool, is the main module used because of our need for documentation.

What needs improvement?

Areas for improvement include sales, prospecting, shopping, customer service, after-sales (claims and advice for the client), and all processes pertaining to customer loyalty.

CEO at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Process modeling/analysis allows visual, end-to-end integration of business processes

What is our primary use case?

ARIS BPM is an excellent platform to define, design, and analyse business processes. We have used ARIS to establish business process frameworks in organizations based on various frameworks like CMMI, EFQM, Malcolm, etc. Also, ARIS BPM is used to analyse, simulate, and optimize business processes.

• "​​ARIS process modeling and analysis allows integration of end-to-end business processes with the organization's vision, strategies, and business objectives, through visual management."
  • "Business Process Analysis: We can simulate, optimize, and analyse business processes based on various business requirements. It assures our rolling out the best processes."
  • "​Training is one of the important aspects for process awareness. As soon as a process is rolled out, process training is required. If ARIS could generate output in PowerPoint, it would be great for business users."
Interprise Architect/Chief Architect/Project, Portfolie manager at KLH-Consulting
Quickly gives us a picture of what business processes are being used across the entire organization, and which can be reused

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for the solution is as an enterprise architect tool, but in the start it was about processing; modeling all kind of business processes. And that was before I even mention BPMN. Today, we have switched to using BPMN to do all the different kinds of business process modeling. This product is supporting it very well.

• "you want to do modeling with the old notation form, ours was EPC, you can use the same object in the BPMN because the database is built in a way that you can use both things. So you only have to define it once, and if the notation form is BPMN and those kind of activities, you can use the same EPCs, so there is a connection between them."
  • "From an architectural point of view, when you're looking at the business area, you can find all the information you have to use as an architect."
  • "Also, the UML parts have been improved very much in the last two years. And it's very powerful now to combine the BPMN and UML parts in the product, because you can make a connection between them, so that you have the right interoperability between them. So if you're doing data modeling, you can use your class diagram and bind that to the BPMN part."
  • "One of the issues is, when you are defining databases, the way they use entities and relationship diagrams, the way we can define data, like data models, there is still a part they could improve."

What other advice do I have?

It is not a challenge to implement the product, not even from a technical point of view, because if you have rights to do things, it takes less than two hours to implement the whole package. Download the product and then just run it. You have to go to the top-level people and talk to them and say, "Okay, what is your strategy to get a good view of your business?" If they say, "We would like to have something help us to manage, what kind of strategy that we have, what kind of rules, principles that we have to follow, that can give us a picture from the top-level and then traceability down to…
Full-Stack Developer at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
Simplified interactions among several systems with different data formats

What is our primary use case?

For integration purposes, where files or data from different systems are generated and passed on to the next one in the format accepted by that system.

How has it helped my organization?

Interactions between several systems with different data formats are made easy, which basically holds the whole system together. This is effective middleware.

What is most valuable?

MFT is quite attractive. A large amount of data is passed in almost no time and it is quite easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The data in the pipeline could be managed better. Sometimes previously-used data would be reflected in present variables.

Director at OAT Solutions
User
The simulation engine and SAP integration are technically very robust

What is our primary use case?

Used for BPMN training and consulting activities on different customers and several industries, such as health care, financial, and automotive.

How has it helped my organization?

ARIS has a powerful simulation engine. The modeling features can be hard to master, but once you do it, the tool unleashes great benefits from modeling to execution.

What is most valuable?

The simulation engine and SAP integration are technically very robust when you consider my segments of expertise (health care, financial, and automotive).

What needs improvement?

The user experience's usability (in general) should be improved as the tool is updated.

More than five years.
Chief Process Officer at Netizen Co., Ltd.
Reseller
Object oriented modeling allows us to trace what's going on with a specified object

How has it helped my organization?

It serves as internal Knowledge Management System where we keep all business processes and related documents in a single repository.

What is most valuable?

Object oriented modeling, so we can trace what's going on with the specified object.

What needs improvement?

It needs external API and the ability to navigate back, similar to "Back" in web browser.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Nine out of 10.

For the standard DBMS, things are quite straightforward. Network…
Project & Process Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is a complete tool, but it is not so user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

My first use case using ARIS was in a Brazilian tax project for a global cosmetic company. All the flows had to be analysed by the global team regarding the core model synergy.

How has it helped my organization?

Creating all the flows related to the "As-Is" process of the organization that must easily see the possible improvements and compare them with the best practices from marketing.

What is most valuable?

The BPMN notation and the share flow through users. It is nice to see all flows in a common, shared space for all the stakeholders to view the same thing and the same language.

What needs improvement?

The usability. Others tools are easier to manage without same complexity that ARIS has.

One to…
Senior BPM Consultant, Managing Director at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Enables customizing and enforcing methodology with filters, semantic checks, and reports

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case of the solution is for implementing the digital management system of a company, documenting processes, documents, IT system, roles, and organization, and, of course, their interconnections. ARIS is really flexible in terms of what you can do to customize your methodology, so it supports various flavors of management system implementations. For example, some companies have a greater focus on Risk and Compliance management, SAP implementations and roll-outs, process improvement and reorganization, etc.

• "The most valuable feature is the flexibility of the solution to fully customize the methodology according to the company's needs, and to enforce that methodology with features like filters, semantic checks, and reports."
  • "There is a really powerful reporting API that allows you to create almost any kind of report you want out of your process and document repository."
  • "There are some things in the collaboration module that could be improved a little, such as the functionality which dynamically pushes notifications to interested people when a process changes during the Release Cycle Management workflow."
  • "While the dashboarding solution for integrating all kinds of process-related information from company sources other than ARIS is getting ever better, my personal wish would be to have a module that is more targeted to an Agile implementation of some modeled processes (model–to-execute)."
  • "ARIS has an internal fully customizable workflow system called APG, which is very good, but it’s targeted mostly at creating workflows related to ARIS content, and not general workflows to support other processes inside a company."

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10, but I’m really happy with the product in regards to the primary use case.
VZ
Information Security Consultant
​It is a well-featured, functional product

What is our primary use case?

I use ARIS Express mainly for additional presentational graphics. It gets my ideas across more clearly to my colleagues. I use it on my laptop and run it on Windows OS.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped me get some ideas across more clearly to my colleagues. For example, how to conduct access management/administration rights distribution during a new implementation.

What is most valuable?

It is a well-featured, functional product. This is its biggest feature.

What needs improvement?

I could use more icons and other graphical elements.

ARIS Express is free.
Caters to moving older objects into an integrated DB

• "Platform that it supports covers legacy and new. Caters to moving older objects into an integrated DB, relatively popular ones: SQL, Oracle, etc."
  • "End-to-end visibility and real-time are areas that will need greater attention."

What other advice do I have?

Although digital business transformation (e.g. IoT, Blockchain) is top of mind for many IT professionals, many companies are facing legacy systems consuming operating budgets and have limited visibility into their enterprise architecture. It is increasingly difficult to meet RFC (requests for change) deadlines and digital business transformation demands. Therefore, a simple and easy to use enterprise architecture is important for implementing an effective digital business transformation program. However, enterprise architecture (EA) and the frequently used methodology TOGAF (The Open Group…
Senoir consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

• "It helps the business make an informed decision."
  • "It helps to maintain a single source of truth regarding the processes followed within an organization."
  • "Needs flexibility in automation of the modeling processes and real-time analysis of data, not just a static view.​"
  • "There is not enough documentation provided for the tool's support or administration.​"
  • "Since ARIS 9.X was released, the product has not been as robust and responsive as the previous versions​."

What other advice do I have?

Excellent product if process modeling/documentation is its primary purpose, not automation of processes.
Business Process Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​The matrix model makes building relations easier. The ​integration between ARIS, webMethods, and project versions needs improvement.​

What is our primary use case?

I am modeling BPMN in ARIS to be ready to execute on webMethods and describing business requirements in relationship to BPMN’s tasks to technical and business references.

How has it helped my organization?

Objects can be reused across different BPMNs and processes, so we can design new processes quicker and easier.

What is most valuable?

The matrix model makes building relations easier.

What needs improvement?

The integration between ARIS, webMethods, and project versions needs improvement.

Key Account Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides visualization of processes which helps our business see pain points

How has it helped my organization?

Visualizes processes which helps the business see pain points.

What is most valuable?

Overall BPM modeling functionality is very good. Lots of features to speed modeling for experienced users.

What needs improvement?

Price is high. Newer versions (9.x) are technically more difficult to maintain.

More than five years.

Yes, there have been stability issues with v9.x.

No issues with scalability.

Poor to acceptable depending on issue, but mostly poor.

Technically easy, but BPM and EA are complex and require…
ARIS Senior Business Analyst/Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​Procedurally and architecturally improved analysis across the board

What is most valuable?

Fully-reportable database over Visio Heavy dashboarding with ARIS Aware Automation capabilities Direct SAP connection

How has it helped my organization?

Procedurally and architecturally improved analysis across the board.

What needs improvement?

Price User interface (UI)

We have used this product for six years. ARIS products and releases from 7.2 through ARIS 10. We were even invited by SAG as a partner for version 10's sneak peek.

Rarely.

Best product for full-size enterprises and their efforts.

SAG could improve, but there is a vast network of…
Business Process Management Consultant and Business Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good for consultants as it offers products/views to represent info and data to different stakeholders

• "Features like SAP SolMan sync, Alfabet EA integration (another Software AG product)."
  • "Regarding stability, when there are any customized settings being done at customer end - post upgrade to newer versions - it makes the customer environment unstable for a short duration."

What other advice do I have?

This product is excellent for any consulting assignment as it offers products and views for different stakeholders to represent the information and data. Advice to others/new users is to get trained on basic usage of this product initially to get an idea of it's benefits and usability. Study and document the exact requirements/purpose and expectations you seek from this product. Software AG should have different options/offers available for its first time users.
Senoir consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
the tool provides the facility to capture process details not just at one level but at multiple levels, depending on the audience who would consume it.

• "Process Modeling or Process Mapping/Documentation. This is the most comprehensive tool for capturing the process details. Any organization who wants to embark on a BPM journey, process mapping/documentation, lays the foundation for the BPM led implementation."
  • "Since this is a design tool, seamless interface to make the process flows executable."

What other advice do I have?

Best tool for documentation of business processes.
Process Analyst
Gives us the capability to generate simulations of processes. I would like the possibility to use real data.

• "The capability to integrate all information of the business and to generate simulations of processes. It can analyze the model of operations quickly."
  • "I would like the possibility to use real data. In other words, it can use this system to integrate with others that are operating directing with users like clients, employs, and others."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to consider as many solutions as possible. Take your time to analyze them, if you can.
Operations Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
​Try to implement it in the right way, based on ARIS HOUSE concept and not use it as a drawing tool

• "Collaboration and governance over enterprise artifacts."
  • "Create simple data uploader."

What other advice do I have?

Try to implement it in the right way, based on ARIS HOUSE concept and not use it as a drawing tool.
Business Process Management at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
it has helped in carrying out our business processes in a standard manner across the globe

• "ARIS Reporting – Helps download valuable content from the tool in multiple formats."
  • "We should have the ability to download ARIS EPCs to Visio."
Senior BPM Consultant/Solution architect at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Processes are more transparent but it's not targeted towards real implementation/running of certain business processes

• "The whole ARIS BPM solution is a bit special, because from the very beginning it was targeted more to Business users and the Management."
  • "Some improvements have been done, after Software AG acquired ARIS, but I don't believe it's still integrated with the other tool WebMethods in a perfect way."

What other advice do I have?

Basically, the main point is to be very clear about your expectations and why do you want to use the tool. If your focus is primarily on the business users, and making company wide business process mapping and improvement initiatives, that's pretty much where ARIS is really good. But, if your focus is the implementation of the business processes, integration with other systems, you should probably evaluate other tools, like Webmethods, IBM BPM, Bonita, Bizagi, Pega,etc.
Partner / Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is the most flexible and embracing process modeling tool.

What is most valuable?

It is the most flexible and embracing process modeling tool.

What needs improvement?

The price is too expensive.

Version updates create deployment issues and support isn’t always aware of them.

I have not encountered any remarkable stability issues.

I have not encountered any remarkable scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is 7/10. Technical Support: Technical support is 7/10.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Responsible BPM Competence Centre with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides a corporate repository that connects business information.

What other advice do I have?

ARIS with Alfabet is the best EA/BPM solution in the world; no competitors. Somebody might say to you that the x tool is the best or that the y tool is the most stable tool in the market, but believe me, it will be bull. ARIS is unbeatable!!!