ARIS BPA OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ARIS BPA is #7 ranked solution in Business Process Design tools and BPM Software. IT Central Station users give ARIS BPA an average rating of 8 out of 10. ARIS BPA is most commonly compared to SAP Signavio Process Manager:ARIS BPA vs SAP Signavio Process Manager. ARIS BPA is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is ARIS BPA?

ARIS is the market-leading solution for professional business process management and modeling. Whether you want to document the "as-is" state of your operations for quality or certification reasons or design the "to-be" in terms of continuous improvement in your transformation program, ARIS is the best choice for establishing a single source of truth regarding all process excellence topics in your organization. It is for any organization looking to digitally transform their business, increase operational excellence and customer experience and ensure compliance in execution. ARIS helps you to make the most out of your processes with Process Mining, Risk & Compliance Management, RPA and much more.

What makes the difference?

• The most comprehensive platform for process excellence in the market
  • Easy to use
  • Covers business & IT architecture from all angles
  • Full flexibility and >100 diagram types
  • Customer-driven development based on best practices
  • Strong partner ecosystem

ARIS is the market-leading solution for any organization and ideally suited to digitally transform the organization, increase operational excellence and customer experience and ensure compliance in execution.

ARIS BPA was previously known as ARIS, ARIS BPM.

ARIS BPA Buyer's Guide

Download the ARIS BPA Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

ARIS BPA Customers

Tesco, Weifu, Airbus, Siemens, Proximus, Alicorp, Sekerbank, Bancor, Emirates NBD, Dubai Municipality, BRC, Suva, U.S. Army, Australia Post, Westfalen Weser Energie, Stars and Stories - ARIS serves customers across all industries and of every size. Companies trust ARIS as the market leader for process excellence with more than 10 million users worldwide, from 1 user companies to the Fortune 500.

ARIS BPA Video

Archived ARIS BPA Reviews (more than two years old)

JC
BPM Expert at iMendos
Assists with process design from discovery to delivery

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for process design, improvements, and publishing.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped us in terms of discovering business processes. We analyze them and create to-be scenarios for implementation. We then design IT solutions aligned with business processes, and finally control the implemented solutions, closing the cycle.

What is most valuable?

The possibility to align Strategies, business, and IT with the architectures of support and SDLC, starting from the requirements management until the IT delivery.

What needs improvement?

Integration with third-party tools should be improved (e.g. based on APIs).

Approximately twenty years.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Integration with third-party tools should be improved (e.g. based on APIs).

Approximately twenty years.
OM
Business Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Enables us to query information to see where everything is

• "The stability of the ARIS BPM platform is quite good. The nice thing about it is the central database, where we can use all of our data. We can even manage users."
  • "With ARIS BPM, the script creation is quite cumbersome. With version ten, we needed our developers to do scripting."

What is our primary use case?

We are now using ARIS BPM long-term. We are using it as the default tool for our team analytics. For meetings, we use ARIS BPM. For some of the meetings, we use EPC, but we're planning to move to ARIS BPM. We also use ARIS BPM as the solution architect with those models.

We are currently reviewing the accuracy of ARIS BPM in moving data to the enterprise for analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

At the moment, there is a cut on hiring in our company. Hence, we decided to go down the road of outsourcing for these areas. We prefer to let these areas make their business purchases individually.

We found out that just the two of us were making all of the business purchases for the whole organization. We need to support staff of over 8,000. It's quite a lot for two people.

We decided that each business area will be responsible for internal meetings and business process management (BPM). We will only manage the quantity of the documentation, as far as updating the models, using ARIS BPM.

What is most valuable?

The main features we like about ARIS BPM are related to research:

• We do a filter for meetings to make sure that people don't end up using multiple icons.
  • We have another skill for generating models.
  • We also use ARIS BPM for querying information to see where everything is.

What needs improvement?

With ARIS BPM, the script creation is quite cumbersome. With version ten, the typed ones were quite extensive where we needed our developers to do scripting. If they can improve on that so that we just outline analytics and then produce the required scripts, that would be ideal.

I've not fully looked at ARIS BPM because we are only now evaluating the management of business processes. We've been more focused on AP, so we are seeing less to be utilized as for BPM capability. We've been planning that late for our part.

There's currently an issue where we don't have people in direct communication, even with the reviewing models, using ARIS BPM.

Another issue that they could improve in their functionality is the guidance, i.e. if they look at the processes that you have running or not. They will clear you in the interim going into business system areas, highlighting the information that you need the script to support.

ARIS BPM generates functions according to need and creating the script from the start could be improved likw having those functionalities as part of the system.

I have been using ARIS BPM for quite some time, over ten years.

The stability of the ARIS BPM platform is quite good. The nice thing about it is the central database, where we can use all of our data. We can even manage users.

We are no longer operating as a business process network. We are no longer extensively involved in that sector.

We have handed over the functionality of ARIS BPM to other business areas to do their internal analysis or just show/generate documents for these requirements.

Scalability means extending ARIS BPM to other platforms. One of the reasons why we wanted to integrate product was to be able to pull information from other platforms. That never materialized because there were some technical issues around the area. That's one of the mishaps with this tool. In version ten, there are improvements.

The required buying of little components for scalability also makes ARIS BPM a bit expensive to utilize. I've seen most of the departments within the government to be good. They find it more affordable, i.e. when you are making the first analysis of an extensive process model or a business process analysis. Then it's easier to use ARIS BPM.

ARIS BPM needs to look at its pricing model. We prefer not to buy everything in pieces, rather just buy the whole product in full for the organization. ARIS BPM should look at that.

At the moment we have just started with ARIS BPM, but the technical support has been very good. The company that we have contracted with is here most of the time. They are also able to do remote support. That is one of the advantages.

When I got the ARIS BPM introduction, we were already using the platform.

We just bought the licenses for nine members. Each will be responsible for their uploads, their business area models, and the business process analysis. In our area, there are three of us. We are responsible for managing the models to show that they are tied to the standards.

For business process management, the time should be reviewed with all of the analytics. Overall, ARIS BPM is a total BPM tool.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anyone to consider the pricing model first. ARIS BPM is one of the good tools which offers BPM functionality. We are planning to go the route of attaching documents so they can upload them. In this way, we will be able to meet our needs where they are located so we can print and use materials.

ARIS BPM is a good program. It's one of the leaders in the management of business processes. They should consider centralizing the team and the management of their business processes.

I would give ARIS BPM an eight to nine out of ten. If I rate at ten then I would be overlooking the problems that we have experienced over the years. There's still room for improvement.

ARIS BPM needs to improve scripting to make it as easy to use as possible so that they give you support on most of the elements that you generate on the go.

Learn what your peers think about ARIS BPA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Aysin Yilmaz
BPM Assistant Manager at TEB
Easy to follow and manage business processes, but integration with external tools needs to be simpler

• "The most valuable features are business process modeling and reporting."
  • "I would like to see the reporting aspects improved."

What is our primary use case?

I used to work for the company who set this solution up for customers. However, I am now an end-user, and perform the role of system architect.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are business process modeling and reporting. They show all of the business and operational processes, which are banking processes. It also allows for managing and reporting on them. The entire bank can follow and manage their own processes.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a simpler process for integrating with other tools. When we tried to integrate ARIS with other external tools, it was not easy.

I would like to see the reporting aspects improved.

Almost three years.

We have had some problems in terms of stability, although technical support has always helped. Overall, I can say that it's stable.

My impression is that this solution is really scalable.

On the configuration side, we have six users. One architect and the others are designers. We also have people that publish in the company library, and all of the employees follow the processes from there. We have approximately two thousand end users.

We are very satisfied with this solution's technical support. They answer quickly and try to solve all of the problems. They are the best.

My understanding is that the initial setup was easy.

In terms of pricing, it would be nice if it were more affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product because it is really easy to use.

This is a good solution, but it needs better integration with external tools and it is expensive.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Atul Tawakley
AVP & Head of Policies and Procedures Management Dept. at Union National Bank
Helpful solution for process modeling, process measurement, and simulations

• "It has the ability to scale up, as well as integrate with other systems within the organization to get real-time information from dashboards and reports."
  • "Making it more customizable and easy to learn would be a benefit."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for process modeling.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us design processes in a step by step, logical manner. It has helped in putting the product manuals, procedures, and policies all in the same database. It has clearly defined setting up the SLAs for each and every process and measures the SLAs at the end of the process execution for each transaction.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the leveling of processes, interfacing of processes, extracting the reports, and process manuals out of the system; the whole landscape.

What needs improvement?

It takes a long time for a new user to start working with ARIS, so perhaps it could be more user-friendly in terms of the complicated construction conventions that it uses. Making it more customizable and easy to learn would be a benefit.

In the age of artificial intelligence, the system should make suggestions as to what to do, and how to do it, rather than depending on the book or relying on the trainer to figure out how to get started.

More than five years.

It is quite stable and there are no issues. We are using the three modules: ARIS Architect, ARIS Designer, and ARIS Process development.

In terms of scalability, it is quite easy. It is only a matter of procuring licenses and training people, and then they can start.

There are approximately six hundred users, including four administrators and five process designers. The rest are end users.

The solution is used quite extensively, and we plan to increase the number of users in the coming years.

Technical support from ARIS is quite responsive, and we get help whenever we need it. With the processes, it becomes a bit complicated because we have to refer it to our IT department and they have to open a log. Because of the time difference between the Gulf and the support team, it takes longer to get things resolved.

We hear back from the support team in 24 to 48 hours.

For BPM, we started with ARIS. We were not using a solution previously, except for designing the processes on Microsoft Visio.

The initial setup was a complex affair for us. We had to engage in six months of training, in-house, with a trainer. A group of people were trained and then finally started process modeling on ARIS.

Over the six months, it was easy, step by step, where we had to follow one thing at a time and there was a lot of time to practice.

We used a consultant for the deployment.

We did not look at another vendor. We had installed a core banking system, Temenos T24, and they were the ones who recommended ARIS, back in 2011.

What other advice do I have?

As for staying with this solution, we have to look at the alternatives available in the market. If something better comes up, and we can make an evaluation and make a shift, why not, but as of now ARIS is a good solution for us, it is working well.

I do recommend ARIS as a tool for others. It is a very helpful solution for process modeling, process measurement, and simulations. It has the ability to scale up, as well as integrate with other systems within the organization to get real-time information from dashboards and reports. It has a lot of capabilities.

It has helped us in designing the processes, measuring the processes, governance of processes, making revisions and changes in processes, and incorporating the regulatory and statutory requirements into our processes very easily. It has very well served our purposes and needs.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

WR
Business Solutions at a healthcare company with 1-10 employees

• "You can relate different aspects of an organization to each other, and you can clearly define the rates seen in the application."
  • "One of the biggest challenges is to realistically enable the defined structures of the processes that you have in ARIS documented, and then actually implement them in the business."

What is our primary use case?

The reporting by ARIS is clearly helps us see which resources are doing enough.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can relate different aspects of an organization to each other, and you can clearly define the rates seen in the application. And, with all of the reporting you can clearly see which resource is doing the most and which resource is not doing enough. So, there is an over or under capacity visualization.

What needs improvement?

One of the biggest challenges is to realistically enable the defined structures of the processes that you have in ARIS documented, and then actually implement them in the business. If you could see the way those structures and processes are not used then you could identify the bottlenecks that are the real issues and make the necessary changes. But, instead, there is a discrepancy between all of these group processes and all of the documentation that has been in ARIS. When you are going through the business, it's like "Oh, we did like this...How can  you ensure that those processes are actually really followed within your business?" How that is possible, I do not know. From our automation perspective, I think it will be easier because then you can link your EPS or whatever you want or two levels down to your actual application. This application is automated and then you can know "Oh, this piece of code is doing that task always like that." And, that would be great to be able to manage real process and code, as well as everything from ARIS. All of that information is difficult to implement and enforce.

In terms of room for improvement, it may be nice to give access to whatever information in ARIS for a non-process kind of person. And, if you do not understand the basic labels, then there should be training for those people. Perhaps provide simple graphics to help those training sessions.

From an operational perspective, it is quite stable.

If you do it right, a good scalable product is what you come up with.

We had an ARIS technical person that would consult with headquarters when we needed help. She found it quite frustrating. They did not always understand what we were telling them and they always gave some answer that did not always provide the necessary resolution. So, that has been a bit frustrating for us. Eventually, the issues were resolved.

Setup was straightforward.

Obviously to bring knowledge and know-how that you don't have in house.  Also somebody that is unique. And,from a vendor selection perspective, if one could know up front "Okay I know you know you've done a million of these things and you support like a lot of people and you've seen it all, but don't lose that ability to see something for the first time for real and think outside of the box." I think that's key.

We also used Enterprise Architect.

O.Michael Olaiya
Process Transformation Lead at Jaguar Land Rover
It has allowed us to model our enterprise process architecture

What is our primary use case?

It is used primarily as a process documentation and repository platform. It's also used to organise desktop procedures.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to promote the awareness of process management across our enterprise. It has allowed us to model our enterprise process architecture.

What is most valuable?

The reports capability Object relationships Architectural definitions Multiple model types Semantic check capabilities

What needs improvement?

ARIS Connect capability: Ability to switch from a vertical step view to a horizontal. Displaying role allocation matrix models in ARIS Connect.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

• It has allowed us to promote the awareness of process management across our enterprise.
  • It has allowed us to model our enterprise process architecture.

What is most valuable?

• The reports capability
  • Object relationships
  • Architectural definitions
  • Multiple model types
  • Semantic check capabilities

What needs improvement?

• ARIS Connect capability: Ability to switch from a vertical step view to a horizontal.
  • Displaying role allocation matrix models in ARIS Connect.

EM
Manager at Entel
User
BPA is the main module that we use because of our need for documentation

What is our primary use case?

All macro processes and processes in the area of ​​continuous improvement were modeled in the company. These were done with the primary purpose of documentation and having a centralized place for processes.

How has it helped my organization?

ARIS is an important tool for my organization. This tool is the core of our processes and different business areas.

What is most valuable?

BPA, the modeling tool, is the main module used because of our need for documentation.

What needs improvement?

Areas for improvement include sales, prospecting, shopping, customer service, after-sales (claims and advice for the client), and all processes pertaining to customer loyalty.

AmitChauhan
CEO at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Process modeling/analysis allows visual, end-to-end integration of business processes

• "​​ARIS process modeling and analysis allows integration of end-to-end business processes with the organization's vision, strategies, and business objectives, through visual management."
  • "Business Process Analysis: We can simulate, optimize, and analyse business processes based on various business requirements. It assures our rolling out the best processes."
  • "​Training is one of the important aspects for process awareness. As soon as a process is rolled out, process training is required. If ARIS could generate output in PowerPoint, it would be great for business users."

What is our primary use case?

ARIS BPM is an excellent platform to define, design, and analyse business processes. We have used ARIS to establish business process frameworks in organizations based on various frameworks like CMMI, EFQM, Malcolm, etc. Also, ARIS BPM is used to analyse, simulate, and optimize business processes.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a BPM consulting organization. We have improved processes in various industries like insurance (payout and claim management), hospital (admission and discharge process), manufacturing (order to dispatch value chain), and many more. With ARIS, have implemented effective enterprise process architecture and business architecture.

What is most valuable?

1. ARIS process modeling and analysis: It allows integration of end-to-end business processes with the organization's vision, strategies, and business objectives, through visual management.
  2. Business Process Analysis: We can simulate, optimize, and analyse business processes based on various business requirements. It assures our rolling out the best processes.
  3. Process Governance: Change management, process reviews, workflows, etc.
  4. Process Simulation: To do the various what-if analysis.

Simplify Cloud offerings

More than five years.

We used MS Office, Visio to define, analyze and maintain business processes and architecture. But these tools were neither much useful nor easy for business analysis.

Kim Holm
Interprise Architect/Chief Architect/Project, Portfolie manager at KLH-Consulting
Quickly gives us a picture of what business processes are being used across the entire organization, and which can be reused

• "you want to do modeling with the old notation form, ours was EPC, you can use the same object in the BPMN because the database is built in a way that you can use both things. So you only have to define it once, and if the notation form is BPMN and those kind of activities, you can use the same EPCs, so there is a connection between them."
  • "From an architectural point of view, when you're looking at the business area, you can find all the information you have to use as an architect."
  • "Also, the UML parts have been improved very much in the last two years. And it's very powerful now to combine the BPMN and UML parts in the product, because you can make a connection between them, so that you have the right interoperability between them. So if you're doing data modeling, you can use your class diagram and bind that to the BPMN part."
  • "One of the issues is, when you are defining databases, the way they use entities and relationship diagrams, the way we can define data, like data models, there is still a part they could improve."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for the solution is as an enterprise architect tool, but in the start it was about processing; modeling all kind of business processes. And that was before I even mention BPMN. Today, we have switched to using BPMN to do all the different kinds of business process modeling.

This product is supporting it very well.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm now working as an independent consultant, but in the past, when I was using it we could really quickly get a picture of what kind of business processes were being used across the entire organization, and which could be reused, and be sure that no one else is doing it another way.

For example, the HR part, in that organization there were about 20,000 people working there. From an HR point of view, they had to do everything the same way, when they were hiring people, or when they were paying money, etc. There, we had a strong opportunity to define, describe, so that everybody could go in and see, "Okay, that's the way you have to do it. We have to follow these rules."

We could also create a good connection between the description of what we were doing the application. In this part, it was primarily SAP - and ARIS was coming from the SAP world in 1992, I think it was around then. They started as an independent firm, so they could do these things. That's why it's a very strong part, from when it started, but it has been developed now as an enterprise architect too.

What is most valuable?

The good thing about using this tool is the repository that gives us the opportunity: If you want to do modeling with the old notation form, ours was EPC, you can use the same object in the BPMN because the database is built in a way that you can use both things. So you only have to define it once, and if the notation form is BPMN and those kind of activities, you can use the same EPCs, so there is a connection between them. That is why it's a very flexible tool.

Furthermore, you can use this tool as an enterprise architect tool. So from an architectural point of view, when you're looking at the business area, you can find all the information you have to use as an architect.

The most important part of it, from my point of view - the way I work with it - is from an architect point of view. What I'm using it to handle, from the top-level management part, is where we talk about the strategy, then down to the business part, down to the information part, down to the application part, and to the technology part. So I use everything in the tool.

But, if you have to see it from a BPMN prospect, it will be the BPMN part of it.

Also, the UML parts have been improved very much in the last two years. And it's very powerful now to combine the BPMN and UML parts in the product, because you can make a connection between them, so that you have the right interoperability between them. So if you're doing data modeling, you can use your class diagram and bind that to the BPMN part. That's a very strong part of it too. Had now implementet the Danish public ad on "Plusprofil" to the UML packed.

What needs improvement?

I have been talking with developers for many years, and it was before using your UML class diagram and those things for defining data. One of the issues is, when you are defining databases, the way they use entities and relationship diagrams, the way we can define data, like data models, there is still a part they could improve. By using the UML part, you would use that instead of the old fashioned way of an entity and relationships diagram. But there they have a still point where they could improve.

More than five years.

It is a very stable product. In all these years, I think once or twice in the beginning it gave me trouble, but never with stability. It's a very stable product. There are a very few bugs. When you find a bug, just give them a call or write to them and they will fix it. Today they are coming out with two major releases every year. They are really fast to go in and say, "Here is the update for that." So the stability is very good.

It's also very good at scalability. If you follow what they are saying, how many users you should put on, etc., no problem.

The biggest challenge today is that people will not pay to have the right technology installation. For example, is there enough room for you at the network level to work with this product? In the new version where we can switch between the heavy one or the light one, the browser, there is no problem. It works. No problem.

The level of technical support is very high. Very good.

No, I didn't use a previous solution. If you ask me, if I have to choose between different kinds of solutions, I would prefer to use this. It is the most flexible and most user friendly product you can get. I would not switch. But, of course, when you are consulting, you also have to use other tools. Now, today, I'm also working with one of other tools, like HOPEX from MEGA. It's also one of the biggest tools that you can use. If I have to choose, I will choose ARIS instead of MEGA.

Of course, there are different things they can do, but I would still prefer to use ARIS. For the moment.

Every tool, like these - with so many different things you can do with these tools - you need, of course, education about the tools, and you have to make choices. What part of it will you use? It is always like that. When you work with it during one or two days' education, I think you will be very capable of using it in the area that you would like to work in.

For example, if you are using it in BPMN, one day of education and you will already be one of the best people to model BPMN with this tool. Still, BPMN is a big area to go into. Start small but think big.

You will never get a fixed price for this product because they will go in and ask you what kind of environment would you like to set up? How many people will you work with? How big is your organization?

Today, they have a fixed price to say, "Okay, just to start the business area, buy two licenses for modeling and eight people that can look into the product." They have this kind of fixed price. It's 50,000 Danish Krone. If you divided that by about six, then you get the pricing in dollars.

From my point of view, no, it is not cheap, but it is not too expensive because you get this big organization behind it, technical support, and all those things. It's not so expensive to use. It's a Rolls Royce in this field, I know that. Even for small organizations, they can get so much effect from using this tool, in a very fast way, so the money will be back in the customer's pocket very fast.

Still, when you are going out, negotiate and find the right price. You will never get a fixed price: "It costs this and, if you take ten of these, seven of these and eight of these, and then it costs this." No, you negotiate every time.

At that time, in 2002, it had to be connected to the SAP environment. The ARIS tool set at that time was one of the biggest in this area, and that's why we were choosing it. There was something else, but it was not as good. Not stable for the SAP environment. I think it was because of the SAP environment that we choose this product, not others.

Today, I would say, from an architectural point of view, it was a good choice. You will see that in the EU, they also use it in the customer area for defining BPMN processes and data. So, they are using this in the EU now as the main product for these areas.

What other advice do I have?

It is not a challenge to implement the product, not even from a technical point of view, because if you have rights to do things, it takes less than two hours to implement the whole package. Download the product and then just run it.

You have to go to the top-level people and talk to them and say, "Okay, what is your strategy to get a good view of your business?" If they say, "We would like to have something help us to manage, what kind of strategy that we have, what kind of rules, principles that we have to follow, that can give us a picture from the top-level and then traceability down to business areas."

For example, here in Europe, we have a new law called GDPR, data protection. That's coming in here in May, in the EU. This product can help you to be sure that you will not get in trouble when they come and ask you, "Have you completely made all these different kinds of process descriptions that show us where you are using, how you are using the data, etc?" Here you have a product that can support that.

If you want to have the full picture, also from an architectural point of view, then you should buy a product like this or something similar to this. You have to go up and find the best. ARIS is among the top in industry reviews, and I would recommend it. But I am also using one of the others up there as well.

Again: Where do you need it? That's a very important question to ask. Where do you want to put in? If it's in the BPMN area, use ARIS. It's a very easy way to use it.

it_user872685
Full-Stack Developer at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
Simplified interactions among several systems with different data formats

What is our primary use case?

For integration purposes, where files or data from different systems are generated and passed on to the next one in the format accepted by that system.

How has it helped my organization?

Interactions between several systems with different data formats are made easy, which basically holds the whole system together. This is effective middleware.

What is most valuable?

MFT is quite attractive. A large amount of data is passed in almost no time and it is quite easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The data in the pipeline could be managed better. Sometimes previously-used data would be reflected in present variables.

it_user863709
Director at OAT Solutions
User
The simulation engine and SAP integration are technically very robust

What is our primary use case?

Used for BPMN training and consulting activities on different customers and several industries, such as health care, financial, and automotive.

How has it helped my organization?

ARIS has a powerful simulation engine. The modeling features can be hard to master, but once you do it, the tool unleashes great benefits from modeling to execution.

What is most valuable?

The simulation engine and SAP integration are technically very robust when you consider my segments of expertise (health care, financial, and automotive).

What needs improvement?

The user experience's usability (in general) should be improved as the tool is updated.

Weerakhan Tantiphaiboontana
Chief Process Officer at Netizen Co., Ltd.
Reseller
Object oriented modeling allows us to trace what's going on with a specified object

How has it helped my organization?

It serves as internal Knowledge Management System where we keep all business processes and related documents in a single repository.

What is most valuable?

Object oriented modeling, so we can trace what's going on with the specified object.

What needs improvement?

It needs external API and the ability to navigate back, similar to "Back" in web browser.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

Nine out of 10.

For the standard DBMS, things are quite straightforward. Network…

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

Nine out of 10.

For the standard DBMS, things are quite straightforward. Network security and server security settings can be issued.

If you can afford it, it's the best so far.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it an eight out of 10. It's not a 10 due to the price.

You need a dedicated team to get the benefits.

Bruno Ricci
Project & Process Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is a complete tool, but it is not so user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

My first use case using ARIS was in a Brazilian tax project for a global cosmetic company. All the flows had to be analysed by the global team regarding the core model synergy.

How has it helped my organization?

Creating all the flows related to the "As-Is" process of the organization that must easily see the possible improvements and compare them with the best practices from marketing.

What is most valuable?

The BPMN notation and the share flow through users. It is nice to see all flows in a common, shared space for all the stakeholders to view the same thing and the same language.

What needs improvement?

The usability. Others tools are easier to manage without same complexity that ARIS has.

One to…

What needs improvement?

What other advice do I have?

It is a complete tool, but it is not so user-friendly.

it_user827664
Senior BPM Consultant, Managing Director at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Enables customizing and enforcing methodology with filters, semantic checks, and reports

• "The most valuable feature is the flexibility of the solution to fully customize the methodology according to the company's needs, and to enforce that methodology with features like filters, semantic checks, and reports."
  • "There is a really powerful reporting API that allows you to create almost any kind of report you want out of your process and document repository."
  • "There are some things in the collaboration module that could be improved a little, such as the functionality which dynamically pushes notifications to interested people when a process changes during the Release Cycle Management workflow."
  • "While the dashboarding solution for integrating all kinds of process-related information from company sources other than ARIS is getting ever better, my personal wish would be to have a module that is more targeted to an Agile implementation of some modeled processes (model–to-execute)."
  • "ARIS has an internal fully customizable workflow system called APG, which is very good, but it’s targeted mostly at creating workflows related to ARIS content, and not general workflows to support other processes inside a company."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case of the solution is for implementing the digital management system of a company, documenting processes, documents, IT system, roles, and organization, and, of course, their interconnections.

ARIS is really flexible in terms of what you can do to customize your methodology, so it supports various flavors of management system implementations. For example, some companies have a greater focus on Risk and Compliance management, SAP implementations and roll-outs, process improvement and reorganization, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

I can give a good example from one of my last projects, where I worked as an external consultant. At an oil and gas company, ARIS really made a big impact in offering an integrated solution where all of the employees could easily access the relevant information on critical safety processes, thus lowering the risk of accidents and potentially harmful events.

In other projects I’ve worked on, I’ve seen that it really helps people working on SAP template rollout projects, as all project members have more or less common information about which company-wide processes are part of the rollout, and what are the specifics in the local process variants.

What is most valuable?

Also, there is a really powerful reporting API that allows you to create almost any kind of report you want out of your process and document repository.

The functionalities for search, query, and social collaboration are getting better with every new release of the tool.

The whole redesign of the content publishing platform, and move from Business Publisher to ARIS Connect portal was a great move.

What needs improvement?

Also, while the dashboarding solution for integrating all kinds of process-related information from company sources other than ARIS is getting ever better, my personal wish would be to have a module that is more targeted to an Agile implementation of some modeled processes (model–to-execute).

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10, but I’m really happy with the product in regards to the primary use case.

VZ
Information Security Consultant
​It is a well-featured, functional product

What is our primary use case?

I use ARIS Express mainly for additional presentational graphics. It gets my ideas across more clearly to my colleagues. I use it on my laptop and run it on Windows OS.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped me get some ideas across more clearly to my colleagues. For example, how to conduct access management/administration rights distribution during a new implementation.

What is most valuable?

It is a well-featured, functional product. This is its biggest feature.

What needs improvement?

I could use more icons and other graphical elements.

ARIS Express is free.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

It is a well-featured, functional product. This is its biggest feature.

What needs improvement?

I could use more icons and other graphical elements.

ARIS Express is free.

it_user733374
Caters to moving older objects into an integrated DB

• "Platform that it supports covers legacy and new. Caters to moving older objects into an integrated DB, relatively popular ones: SQL, Oracle, etc."
  • "End-to-end visibility and real-time are areas that will need greater attention."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

No product is complete. As technologies evolve, so must the tools to support them. End-to-end visibility and real-time are areas that will need greater attention.

No issues with scalability.

I do not believe that there is a site in this country that has exceeded the scalability limitation.

Judging from my perspective, all the forums appear to have topical discussions. Also, requested a latest GA version date and received a response.

Staunch user of Visio, ArchiMate. A requirement for a client, decided to explore deeper. Alfabet.

The Aris version that I have is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Although digital business transformation (e.g. IoT, Blockchain) is top of mind for many IT professionals, many companies are facing legacy systems consuming operating budgets and have limited visibility into their enterprise architecture. It is increasingly difficult to meet RFC (requests for change) deadlines and digital business transformation demands. Therefore, a simple and easy to use enterprise architecture is important for implementing an effective digital business transformation program.

However, enterprise architecture (EA) and the frequently used methodology TOGAF (The Open Group Architecture Framework) have an image problem. Business and IT leaders are frequently bypassing the enterprise architect because they have the following issues:

1. The enterprise architecture and TOGAF are not practical to complete and are difficult to explain.
  2. The EA terminology is difficult to understand and not aligned with operational departments.
  3. The EA governance methodology and EA models are difficult to understand and to maintain.
  4. Too much focus of project delivery and IT architecture

Because of these issues the enterprise architect, and business and IT leaders, are not always aligned and do not fully cooperate to resolve the EA issues at hand. Most of the design decisions are made by business and IT leaders who are not always in line with the vision of the enterprise architect. This has an impact on the quality of the EA. In order to improve the cooperation, the enterprise architecture should be presented in a more practical and simple way.

Needs to be driven from the top, must standardise and simplify centric environments. Architectural principals - governance a must.

NeerajRana
Senoir consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

• "It helps the business make an informed decision."
  • "It helps to maintain a single source of truth regarding the processes followed within an organization."
  • "Needs flexibility in automation of the modeling processes and real-time analysis of data, not just a static view.​"
  • "There is not enough documentation provided for the tool's support or administration.​"
  • "Since ARIS 9.X was released, the product has not been as robust and responsive as the previous versions​."

How has it helped my organization?

1. With a tool like ARIS, it helps to maintain a single source of truth regarding the processes followed within an organization. This creates a more efficient organization with just one single view of the processes across the organization and eliminates any ambiguity.
  2. The analysis and reporting capabilities make ARIS the best tool for process modeling. In addition, the flexibility and versatility of the tool can be gauged by the sheer number of model types it supports which is close to approximately 200.

Any organization big or small should have the capability of capturing the process details of an entire organization using this tool.

What is most valuable?

Process modeling and process analysis. Due the meta model of the tool, it forces a particular way for the processes to be modeled in the tool, which in turn helps to carry out the analysis and generate reports for business and senior management. This helps the business make an informed decision.

More than five years.

Since ARIS 9.X was released, the product has not been as robust and responsive as the previous versions.

None.

I would rate it as a seven out of 10. There is not enough documentation provided for the tool's support or administration.

No previous solution was used.

The setup was a bit complex compared to the previous version of the tool.

It is on the higher side.

What other advice do I have?

Excellent product if process modeling/documentation is its primary purpose, not automation of processes.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Alliance partners.
AhmedBadr
Business Process Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​The matrix model makes building relations easier. The ​integration between ARIS, webMethods, and project versions needs improvement.​

What is our primary use case?

I am modeling BPMN in ARIS to be ready to execute on webMethods and describing business requirements in relationship to BPMN’s tasks to technical and business references.

How has it helped my organization?

Objects can be reused across different BPMNs and processes, so we can design new processes quicker and easier.

What is most valuable?

The matrix model makes building relations easier.

What needs improvement?

The integration between ARIS, webMethods, and project versions needs improvement.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The matrix model makes building relations easier.

it_user772149
Key Account Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides visualization of processes which helps our business see pain points

How has it helped my organization?

Visualizes processes which helps the business see pain points.

What is most valuable?

Overall BPM modeling functionality is very good. Lots of features to speed modeling for experienced users.

What needs improvement?

Price is high. Newer versions (9.x) are technically more difficult to maintain.

More than five years.

Yes, there have been stability issues with v9.x.

No issues with scalability.

Poor to acceptable depending on issue, but mostly poor.

Technically easy, but BPM and EA are complex and require…

How has it helped my organization?

Visualizes processes which helps the business see pain points.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• Price is high.
  • Newer versions (9.x) are technically more difficult to maintain.

More than five years.

Yes, there have been stability issues with v9.x.

No issues with scalability.

Poor to acceptable depending on issue, but mostly poor.

Technically easy, but BPM and EA are complex and require considerable pre-planning.

Negotiate. Price is high so make sure you’re getting the best deal.

What other advice do I have?

Consider less expensive options.

it_user758082
ARIS Senior Business Analyst/Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​Procedurally and architecturally improved analysis across the board

What is most valuable?

Fully-reportable database over Visio Heavy dashboarding with ARIS Aware Automation capabilities Direct SAP connection

How has it helped my organization?

Procedurally and architecturally improved analysis across the board.

What needs improvement?

Price User interface (UI)

We have used this product for six years. ARIS products and releases from 7.2 through ARIS 10. We were even invited by SAG as a partner for version 10's sneak peek.

Rarely.

Best product for full-size enterprises and their efforts.

SAG could improve, but there is a vast network of…

What is most valuable?

• Fully-reportable database over Visio
  • Heavy dashboarding with ARIS Aware
  • Automation capabilities
  • Direct SAP connection

How has it helped my organization?

Procedurally and architecturally improved analysis across the board.

What needs improvement?

• Price
  • User interface (UI)

Rarely.

Best product for full-size enterprises and their efforts.

SAG could improve, but there is a vast network of community users.

Tried many BPA tools, but ARIS seems to be the best fit for the largest efforts we have focused efforts on.

You could walk someone through it, but I would not recommend trying it on their own.

It is well worth the investment in the enterprise.

Visio, Blueworks, Signavio, and ARIS. Absolutely choose ARIS or Signavio.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners.
it_user743028
Business Process Management Consultant and Business Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good for consultants as it offers products/views to represent info and data to different stakeholders

• "Features like SAP SolMan sync, Alfabet EA integration (another Software AG product)."
  • "Regarding stability, when there are any customized settings being done at customer end - post upgrade to newer versions - it makes the customer environment unstable for a short duration."

What is most valuable?

Features like SAP SolMan sync, Alfabet EA integration (another Software AG product). Also, a good defined framework for BPM or any consulting practice across any verticals or domains, whether it's TOGAF methodology, running BPM Lifecycle or Six Sigma process analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped to a great extent in defining and maintaining repositories for various industries, further facilitating projects like portfolio management, etc.

What needs improvement?

Vendor continuously brings updated versions to market with bug fixes from earlier versions and fulfilling user/customer expectations, so they are inline with continuous improvement.

Regarding stability, when there are any customized settings being done at customer end - post upgrade to newer versions - it makes the customer environment unstable for a short duration. But this is made stable and back to service with their 24-hour support help.

Have been using this product for three years.

Not many issues with stability, other than as noted above.

No issues. They offer ARIS installation for Cloud as well as server-client scenario, so no major issues seen so far.

Technical support is good and response time is good as well. They have priority request types set already, so in case of crisis with ARIS, or any major issue, we can reach 24-hour support by phone or drop them an email; they are always available to respond.

I am a BPM and Enterprise Architecture consultant and hence have been using different BPM and EA tools for my consulting practice. Until now have used Opentext Provision, EA, Sparx EA, MS Visio and IBM Blueworks. All of the tools used are good and have there own unique features and capabilities. ARIS BPA is widely used by my current organization for different projects, hence the switch.

The initial setup is straightforward for a user with ARIS BPA installation experience. There is not much that is complex, even for someone who is not experienced with ARIS and tries installation. But that person should be technically sound with installation practices.

The pricing and licensing costs are available on their website. They will assign a relationship manager to assist if you show further interest in their products.

I was not given the option to choose this product, as it was already in use. But evaluation can be made on how globally and widely this product have been used by different industries over others like IBM BPM, Oracle Enterprise Manager, Appian BPM, Pega BPM, and the tools mentioned above.

What other advice do I have?

This product is excellent for any consulting assignment as it offers products and views for different stakeholders to represent the information and data. Advice to others/new users is to get trained on basic usage of this product initially to get an idea of it's benefits and usability. Study and document the exact requirements/purpose and expectations you seek from this product. Software AG should have different options/offers available for its first time users.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Vendor partner.
Neeraj Rana
Senoir consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

• "Process Modeling or Process Mapping/Documentation. This is the most comprehensive tool for capturing the process details. Any organization who wants to embark on a BPM journey, process mapping/documentation, lays the foundation for the BPM led implementation."
  • "Since this is a design tool, seamless interface to make the process flows executable."

What is most valuable?

Since ARIS provides such a rich modeling environment, it can be leveraged not just for automation of the processes, but more importantly for maintaining the blue prints of the processes for any organization be it business, internal or support processes.

This, then, provides a real picture of the status quo of any organization at any given time.

How has it helped my organization?

Using ARIS, an organization can document their business processes.

Also, the tool provides the facility to capture process details not just at one level but at multiple levels, depending on the audience who would consume it.

It helps not only to capture the process steps but with different aspects of the processes like org, KPI, systems, roles, infrastructure, documents, etc.

Once captured, the tool helps to analyze the processes and impact of changes in the organization from the system, process, KPI, perspective.

Between 9-10 years .

None.

None, since the launch of ARIS 9.x, the product architecture has changed and this has made it bit more complex from Administration perspective.

Three out of five.

Medium complexity.

Pricing is a bit on the higher side.

Not really.

What other advice do I have?

Best tool for documentation of business processes.

it_user701076
Process Analyst
Gives us the capability to generate simulations of processes. I would like the possibility to use real data.

• "The capability to integrate all information of the business and to generate simulations of processes. It can analyze the model of operations quickly."
  • "I would like the possibility to use real data. In other words, it can use this system to integrate with others that are operating directing with users like clients, employs, and others."

What is most valuable?

The capability to integrate all information of the business and to generate simulations of processes. It can analyze the model of operations quickly.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization because the system helped us design all our processes and our structure of business.

What needs improvement?

I would like the possibility to use real data. In other words, it can use this system to integrate with others that are operating directing with users like clients, employs, and others. This means that people who work with processes and activities of routine.

I have used this solution for three months.

ARIS software has few connectivity problems.

Software AG's support with partners is relatively fast.

We are in a phase of planning and its capabilities for design and simulation. Considering the size of our company, this solution was a good fit.

We were involved in the initial setup. My experience is positive, but regarding usability and learning of the system, those elements can be more difficult and complicated.

We evaluated Mega, Oracle , Bizagi, AuraPortal, AgilePoint, Appian, IBM, and others.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to consider as many solutions as possible. Take your time to analyze them, if you can.

Operations Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
​Try to implement it in the right way, based on ARIS HOUSE concept and not use it as a drawing tool

• "Collaboration and governance over enterprise artifacts."
  • "Create simple data uploader."

What is most valuable?

• Adhoc analysis of enterprise blueprints
  • Collaboration and governance over enterprise artifacts
  • ARIS HOUSE concept

How has it helped my organization?

I am a consultant. I have used this tool in BPM, BPR, EA implementation, and in more than 40 entities.

What needs improvement?

• Simplify governance process
  • Create simple data uploader

I've used this solution for 10 years.

A six out of 10.

Straightforward, it is a simple wizard to install.

Select carefully which licenses you require, as the bundle has many licenses in it.

The tool is expensive.

No, I am a consultant and we work with this tool.

What other advice do I have?

Try to implement it in the right way, based on ARIS HOUSE concept and not use it as a drawing tool.

it_user499062
Business Process Management at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees

• "ARIS Reporting – Helps download valuable content from the tool in multiple formats."
  • "We should have the ability to download ARIS EPCs to Visio."

What is most valuable?

• ARIS Reporting – Helps download valuable content from the tool in multiple formats.
  • ARIS Query – Helps visualize relationships between various components/elements of an enterprise.
  • Occurrence Copy – Helps create a relational database which in turn helps in carrying out process analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

ARIS helps in creating a central repository of all processes of an organization in a standardized manner. Thus, it has helped in carrying out our business processes in a standard manner across the globe.

What needs improvement?

• We should have the ability to download ARIS EPCs to Visio.
  • ARIS should also have the ability to import swimlane Visio flowcharts.

I've used this product for over six years.

I haven't encountered any issues with stability.

I haven't encountered issues with scalability.

A seven out of 10.

I did not use a different solution prior to ARIS BPM.

Complex.

Prices are high. However, they are worth it if the organization utilizes the tool to its full potential.

Nikola Dlaka
Senior BPM Consultant/Solution architect at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Processes are more transparent but it's not targeted towards real implementation/running of certain business processes

• "The whole ARIS BPM solution is a bit special, because from the very beginning it was targeted more to Business users and the Management."
  • "Some improvements have been done, after Software AG acquired ARIS, but I don't believe it's still integrated with the other tool WebMethods in a perfect way."

What is most valuable?

The whole ARIS BPM solution is a bit special, because from the very beginning it was targeted more to Business users and the Management. Its core focus was to, at the end provide a neat tool for the Management to use as get a grasp about their Business Processes, more easily determine their strategy and also sometimes do analysis and parametrization of the processes. This is all possible, as ARIS, unlike Visio for example utilizes a database system, where it's possible to model all kinds of relations with different metadata and information. If used with clear strategy, it can provide a really powerful tool to analyze the whole Enterprise, from IT, Processes and Organization.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the organization where I work currently, in a way that the processes are more transparent, then before when they were present only in documents.
Advanced modeling, structuring and visualization capabilities of ARIS made this possible.

What needs improvement?

The main "drawback" of ARIS is that it is not targeted towards the real implementation and running of certain business processes.
It does not have a real workflow engine beneath that can make things actually run. This is also due to it's different focus from the beginning. And also, this comment might be a bit subjective, as I'm more interested in this technical aspect of a BPM system.
Also, ARIS can be very hard and costly to integrate with other tools, as there is no programming API or web services exposed, except from the integrated report API which is targeted to be used for creating reports from the ARIS database. It's not targeted towards integration.

I've used the solution for more than 6-7 years, in different scenarios. Starting as a consultant implementing the solution and modeling the processes, but also as a Business & IT analyst barely using it as a common user to facilitate my work.

No. The standard system is usually very straight forward to deploy.

ARIS Business Server and the modeling tools are pretty stable in general. Some issues and challenges can occur when using it in an extremely large environment when the Business Publisher needs to serve more than 5,000 users. Then the load balancing comes in to play, and it needs some improvement in the Publisher tool.

It's probably one of the most scalable solutions in the market currently.

The effort in changing the whole architecture in versions 9 and 10 to enable this is tremendous.

The technical support is very good, and has extremely improved over the years.

ARIS is a very simple tool to set up if you are using just the basic platform: Business Server and the Designer tools. In case you are going for a more advanced approach, with additional modules, the solution can be quite expensive to set up. As the vendor consultants are not very cheap, :)

What other advice do I have?

Basically, the main point is to be very clear about your expectations and why do you want to use the tool. If your focus is primarily on the business users, and making company wide business process mapping and improvement initiatives, that's pretty much where ARIS is really good. But, if your focus is the implementation of the business processes, integration with other systems, you should probably evaluate other tools, like Webmethods, IBM BPM, Bonita, Bizagi, Pega,etc.

Partner / Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is the most flexible and embracing process modeling tool.

What is most valuable?

It is the most flexible and embracing process modeling tool.

What needs improvement?

The price is too expensive.

Version updates create deployment issues and support isn’t always aware of them.

I have not encountered any remarkable stability issues.

I have not encountered any remarkable scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is 7/10. Technical Support: Technical support is 7/10.

I did not previously use a different solution.

What is most valuable?

It is the most flexible and embracing process modeling tool.

What needs improvement?

The price is too expensive.

I have not encountered any remarkable stability issues.

I have not encountered any remarkable scalability issues.

Customer service is 7/10.

Technical support is 7/10.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup was straightforward.

A vendor team implemented. Their level of expertise was 7/10.

It’s difficult to provide ROI information, because it depends on the costumer and how it uses the product. With this product, it probably takes at least 1.5 years to see ROI.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated it against SYDLE SEED.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great solution, but the creation of a process department inside the organization is essential to make a real PDCA cycle for the business processes.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is business partner of the vendor.
Guillermo Lopez Felipe
Responsible BPM Competence Centre with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides a corporate repository that connects business information.

What is most valuable?

EPC is by far the best notation to process modelling form. The idea of the corporate repository with all business information connected has no competition!

The ARIS Connect Collaborative Portal is a good idea, too!

How has it helped my organization?

• Thousands of AS-IS models documented
  • Analysis and re-design
  • Go to TO-BE models with semantic checks

What needs improvement?

Scripting has room for improvement and the documentation is a "must".

Model-to-execution methodology must be improved, too, IMHO.

I have used it for seven years.

We have encountered deployment issues. All the products have issues, but really, the quality of ARIS is spectacular, at a level that strikes excellence. Unusual in proprietary software.

I have not really encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Well, the Software AG helpdesk is not the best in the world, but the Software AG salespeople are very willing to help and push to accelerate the solution.

I rate technical support higher than usual.

The principal reason we switched was EPC Notation. This notation, IMHO, is the best option to design the whole organization, it is Software AG property, and the other tools can´t use it.

You can start from scratch in a very easy way and after that, increase the complexity. The tool supports it.

An in-house team with vendor team support implemented it.

• 2.000 designers design ARIS models and don´t create large Word documents.
  • Thousands of models to publish to the citizens, hot documentation and short time-to-market.
  • Reduces the misunderstanding with countries and users.
  • Removes bottlenecks and barriers.

The pricing is not my business but they have a large catalog of license models. It isn´t possible that they don´t have a specific license for you.

• MEGA
  • Casewise
  • SAP

What other advice do I have?

ARIS with Alfabet is the best EA/BPM solution in the world; no competitors. Somebody might say to you that the x tool is the best or that the y tool is the most stable tool in the market, but believe me, it will be bull. ARIS is unbeatable!!!