ARIS BPM Overview

ARIS BPM is the #6 ranked solution in our list of BPM Software. It is most often compared to Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect: ARIS BPM vs Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect

What is ARIS BPM?

Software AG's ARIS Business Process Analysis Platform is ideal for organizations that want to document, analyze, standardize and improve their processes. Design, document, analyze, optimize and communicate processes to achieve business process excellence by using the ARIS Business Process Analysis Platform. With more efficient processes across business, IT and SAP systems, your Digital Enterprise can respond to changing business and market requirements more quickly.

ARIS BPM is also known as ARIS.

ARIS BPM Buyer's Guide

Download the ARIS BPM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

ARIS BPM Customers

Fujitsu, Coca Cola, ING, Credit Suisse, Electrolux

ARIS BPM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ARIS BPM pricing:
  • "This is absolutely not the cheapest solution in the market, but for large companies, the price is fine."
  • "In terms of pricing, it would be nice if it were more affordable."

ARIS BPM Reviews

BusArch677
Business Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Jun 19, 2019
Enables us to query information to see where everything is

What is our primary use case?

We are now using ARIS BPM long-term. We are using it as the default tool for our team analytics. For meetings, we use ARIS BPM. For some of the meetings, we use EPC, but we're planning to move to ARIS BPM. We also use ARIS BPM as the solution architect with those models. We are currently reviewing the accuracy of ARIS BPM in moving data to the enterprise for analytics.

• "The stability of the ARIS BPM platform is quite good. The nice thing about it is the central database, where we can use all of our data. We can even manage users."
  • "With ARIS BPM, the script creation is quite cumbersome. With version ten, we needed our developers to do scripting."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anyone to consider the pricing model first. ARIS BPM is one of the good tools which offers BPM functionality. We are planning to go the route of attaching documents so they can upload them. In this way, we will be able to meet our needs where they are located so we can print and use materials. ARIS BPM is a good program. It's one of the leaders in the management of business processes. They should consider centralizing the team and the management of their business processes. I would give ARIS BPM an eight to nine out of ten. If I rate at ten then I would be overlooking the…
reviewer1332093
Lead Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Sep 29, 2020
Holistic views of process modeling show interrelated effects between new and old processes

What is our primary use case?

The process modeling capabilities are what we use this for primarily.

• "ARIS is probably the most mature product in terms of modeling an enterprise architecture so that it has context."
  • "The initial setup and installation are very straightforward."
  • "The interface is a little archaic."
  • "The workflow approval process could be represented better in the overviews."

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend the product to users seeking this kind of solution, especially for the architecture practice. If you want to have a knowledge base or a repository for architects it is very good for an overview of the enterprise architecture. Normally in a new business venture — that being a business case, a new software offering, or a new capability — the new process needs to be introduced to an existing architecture. Companies will already have a mature backend with legacy applications and integrations. It is good to keep a repository of the development to make sure that the history of…
Learn what your peers think about ARIS BPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1379070
Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Nov 8, 2020
Good web-based portal that supports simple modeling, but the technical support has room for improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and ARIS BPM is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

• "The most valuable feature in the latest versions is the connect portal, where you can do very simple modeling using the web-based portal."
  • "If you want to create new reports then you have to use JavaScript, or ARIS script as they call it, which is beyond the competencies of most people."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing ARIS BPM is to have a good organization in place first. You really need to have ownership because if you implement ARIS and start using it there you have quite a few admin functions that you need to have in place. For example, looking at conventions, filtering, reports, account management, etc. There's a lot of work to be done and ownership in this regard is very important. In summary, this is a good product but there is room for improvement in several areas. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Atul Tawakley
AVP & Head of Policies and Procedures Management Dept. at Union National Bank
May 23, 2019
Helpful solution for process modeling, process measurement, and simulations

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for process modeling.

• "It has the ability to scale up, as well as integrate with other systems within the organization to get real-time information from dashboards and reports."
  • "Making it more customizable and easy to learn would be a benefit."

What other advice do I have?

As for staying with this solution, we have to look at the alternatives available in the market. If something better comes up, and we can make an evaluation and make a shift, why not, but as of now ARIS is a good solution for us, it is working well. I do recommend ARIS as a tool for others. It is a very helpful solution for process modeling, process measurement, and simulations. It has the ability to scale up, as well as integrate with other systems within the organization to get real-time information from dashboards and reports. It has a lot of capabilities. It has helped us in designing the…
reviewer1112451
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Aug 3, 2020
Relieves the user of having to deal with mapping, analyzing & sharing using office tools; very professional.

What is our primary use case?

One of the main demands that we have at the moment from our customers is not only to map and share their diagrams but also to govern them and automate them. Our major customers come from the banking sector and we also have 2/3 of the telcos and some insurance companies of our country on board. We are a partner with ARIS and I'm the senior manager.

• "The ability to sort via multiple criteria to identify the relationships you need for a specific object."
  • "The governance mechanism could be better, as could automation."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.
David March
CEO at Exergy Energy
Nov 7, 2020
Intuitive, easy to use, and adheres to the standards extremely well

What is our primary use case?

Our customers have generators on their facilities, and we manage those generators to provide services to the grid and reduce their costs. It involves peak shaving and that sort of stuff. We use ARIS BPM to essentially automate the communication to the grid and the generator and then update all of the account information regarding those transactions.

• "The ease of use is the most valuable. I have tried a number of BPMN packages, and I find the user interface of ARIS BPM easier and more intuitive than others. If your team is knowledgeable on BPMN, it is really pretty easy to figure out on your own because it adheres to the standards extremely well. I have tried Bizagi, BizFlow, and a variety of such solutions, and I just liked ARIS BPM better."
  • "I use it strictly for developing the business process model. I don't use it for the actual automation. I do that with Vtenext. I have standardized on Vtenext, and I don't use ARIS BPM anymore. The Vtenext UI is just as good, and it is much more tightly coupled to the underlying object model. I can get more done in one session with Vtenext rather than first going to ARIS BPM, then importing, and having to edit it for tight coupling."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend ARIS BPM depending upon the use case. I would generally recommend Vtenext first. I found Vtenext on GitHub as I was looking through and trying out lots of BPMN and BPA stuff. I used their product, and it is a really good product. We've now partnered with them. I would rate ARIS BPM an eight out of ten.
Aysin Yilmaz
BPM Assistant Manager at TEB
Jun 7, 2019
Easy to follow and manage business processes, but integration with external tools needs to be simpler

What is our primary use case?

I used to work for the company who set this solution up for customers. However, I am now an end-user, and perform the role of system architect.

• "The most valuable features are business process modeling and reporting."
  • "I would like to see the reporting aspects improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product because it is really easy to use. This is a good solution, but it needs better integration with external tools and it is expensive. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
BPMexp67
BPM Expert at iMendos
Jul 11, 2019
Assists with process design from discovery to delivery

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for process design, improvements, and publishing.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped us in terms of discovering business processes. We analyze them and create to-be scenarios for implementation. We then design IT solutions aligned with business processes, and finally control the implemented solutions, closing the cycle.

What is most valuable?

The possibility to align Strategies, business, and IT with the architectures of support and SDLC, starting from the requirements management until the IT delivery.

What needs improvement?

Integration with third-party tools should be improved (e.g. based on APIs).

Approximately twenty years.