ARIS Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ARIS Cloud is the #14 ranked solution in our list of BPM Software. It is most often compared to Signavio Process Manager: ARIS Cloud vs Signavio Process Manager

What is ARIS Cloud?

ARIS is the market-leading solution for professional business process management and modeling. Whether you want to document the "as-is" state of your operations for quality or certification reasons or design the "to-be" in terms of continuous improvement in your transformation program, ARIS is the best choice for establishing a single source of truth regarding all process excellence topics in your organization. It is for any organization looking to digitally transform their business, increase operational excellence and customer experience and ensure compliance in execution. ARIS helps you to make the most out of your processes with Process Mining, Risk & Compliance Management, RPA and much more!

What make the difference?

• The most comprehensive platform for process excellence in the market
  • Easy to use
  • Covers business & IT architecture from all angles
  • Full flexibility and >100 diagram types
  • Customer-driven development based on best practices
  • Strong partner ecosystem

We serve customers across all industries and of every size. Our customers trust ARIS as the market leader for process excellence with more than 10 million users worldwide - from single-user companies to the Fortune 500. ARIS is ideally suited for any organization looking to digitally transform their business, increase operational excellence and customer experience and ensure compliance in execution.

ARIS Cloud is also known as Process Live, ARIS Simulation, ARIS Aware, ARIS Connect.

Download the Business Process Design Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

ARIS Cloud Customers

Philips, Vodafone, Siemens, Coca-Cola, Kiabi, Hermes Fulfilment, ING, Encevo, Weifu Group, Australia Post

ARIS Cloud Video

Archived ARIS Cloud Reviews (more than two years old)

Badr-Chergui
Manager Enterprise Architect - Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly, compatible with multiple devices and operating systems

• "In terms of UX design, somebody who has not had experience with ARIS will be able to use it very easily."
  • "It would be very helpful if this solution were more open and could integrate with other solutions like ServiceNow."

What is our primary use case?

I began using ARIS five years ago. I started with version 7, then upgraded to version 9, and for the past six months, I have been using the cloud version.

This solution helps me to address various needs in my daily work. The majority of the time it helps me answer questions about business architecture by designing business process activities. Also, it answers questions related to the functional level of our software architecture.

I have been using a private-cloud deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

It's not a question if my organization should be digital or not. It really must be for several businesses to survive.

With ARIS Cloud, we identified our goals, business processes and we turned them into a digital strategy.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the platform because it allows me to access different devices using different operating systems, such as Microsoft or Mac.

In terms of UX design, somebody who has not had experience with ARIS will be able to use it very easily. They will, however, need to have knowledge about architecture and the facilities that ARIS can provide in a business situation.

What needs improvement?

I find that the on-premises version is more stable than the cloud version because I can use it in offline mode. It does not rely on the network or the internet.

The length of time for data retention needs to be improved. I was surprised when my license was deactivated and I could not access my data. The retention period in ARIS Cloud is only one month.

I have been using this solution for six months.

The initial setup of this solution is really easy.

What other advice do I have?

This product offers a smart, digitally-oriented solution that is needed by many large companies in the world. It allows access off-premises, helping companies to migrate to the cloud. It seems that ARIS is committed to addressing the future needs of its customers.

L?
Process Manager at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Can be used from anywhere, with support for UML, EPC, and BPMN

• "The cloud version has the advantage that you can work on it from anywhere."
  • "The trial version of this solution does not give you enough time to learn how to use it, so it should be extended to one year."

What is our primary use case?

I work in the insurance industry, and we use this tool for modeling business processes.

What is most valuable?

The cloud version has the advantage that you can work on it from anywhere. You can add data from your emails that are in the cloud, or use your mobile devices.

This tool has methods for modeling processes, which is our requirement.

If you have previous specifications for UML, EPC, BPMN then all of the models are equal.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the cost of the licenses improved.

It would be an improvement if ARIS Mashup were integrated into this solution.

This is a stable solution. We have had times of instability, but it was not the fault of the solution. Rather, it was a problem with the IT here.

Prior to this solution, I used Enterprise Architect. The main difference between these two solutions is licensing. The modeling capability is similar, although with ARIS you have a clear methodology. With Enterprise Architect, you have to create more.

The installation and deployment of this solution were handled by our IT department.

There is a student version of this solution that can be used for free. There is also a trial version that can be used free for thirty days.

What other advice do I have?

From my perspective, the cloud aspect of this solution is only a way to store data. It doesn't matter if the application is in the cloud or on-premises on my computer. I think that if you use the solution on the cloud, then it takes over your entire life. It mixes with your personal time.

The deployment model does not matter to me. I see the forms, and what happens behind these forms doesn't matter. This is the best BPM tool that I have ever worked with.

If somebody wants to learn how to use this program then they have two choices. The first is to learn in school and use the free student version. The second is if you are an employee of a big company and they have ARIS, then you can spend time learning it. If, however, you want to learn it for your own interest then you have no opportunity. You can pay for it, but it is expensive. Ten years ago, I was in a situation where I wanted to learn it, but I had no opportunity to do so. That caused me to lose interest. Later, when my company bought it, I learned how to use it.

From my point of view, ARIS is the best.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Software AG, Signavio, IBM and others in Business Process Design. Updated: September 2021.
540,694 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user793557
Senior Manager Advisory Services at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Opens collaboration opportunities between team members within the organization where they can submit change requests and navigate processes

• "Aris Connect opens collaboration opportunities between team members within the organization where they can actually submit change requests, navigate processes, and offer comments. It opens up the potential for BPM within the organization. I didn't see such an angle of a BPM portal with any other products. So I would say that's the best selling feature."
  • "If you have multiple tiers of approvals into that update of the policy, or the process design itself, it takes ages to prepare those internal flows within the system."

What is most valuable?

Aris Connect opens collaboration opportunities between team members within the organization where they can actually submit change requests, navigate processes, and offer comments. It opens up the potential for BPM within the organization. I didn't see such an angle of a BPM portal with any other products. So I would say that's the best selling feature.

What needs improvement?

They need to revamp a whole module. This module has been in place for 16 years. It hasn't been updated since then. It's actually a separate license on its own. It's a disaster. It needs to be more functional. It doesn't work easily. It takes too much time to just create a simple flow, in terms of the process and governance structure.

If you have multiple tiers of approvals into an update of a policy, or the process design itself, it takes ages to prepare those internal flows within the system.

I have been using this solution for around ten years.

The design suite of ARIS is stable. In terms of other modules such as Risk and Compliance or APG, especially APG, I wouldn't describe it as 'not stable', I would describe it as labor-intensive; you need to do a bunch of steps to make sure that the cloud engine is running smoothly for those two modules.

It is fairly easy to scale but it is quite expensive to scale.

I also sell the platform as a reseller for this solution. We have hundreds of thousands of users. I don't use it largely myself within my organization. I work in PwC, PricewaterhouseCoopers. We don't tend to sell it but when we see clients interested, we give our recommendation and comparison between BPM engines, and they end up going to directly contract the vendor themselves.

We don't even recommend ARIS over another platform. We would recommend ARIS over another platform if the client doesn't have a budget. It's the most expensive option.

The users will vary. Some of the clients that adopted ARIS have 1,000 plus employees. Others have 200 employees. I even have a client that has 50,000 employees.

Their technical support is weak. It's a regional problem because the Middle East region, in general, is still an underdeveloped market when it comes to certain technologies; particularly BPM.

They're still not into the structure scheme that you have in Europe or the U.S. At the end of the day, if a bank adopts a BPM engine, the scale of the licensing, the structure and even the usability of the platform is way higher. The number of transactions that a local bank does is less than a number of transactions that an international bank does.

The other point is largely speaking, BPM here is very fragmented. It's either some people do the design only and the other side only does the implementation or execution without paying attention to the business design of flows. It doesn't go coherently as it does in Europe or the U.S. It doesn't go in a full-fledged cycle where you actually start with the design and move forward and make your organization agile.

Aside from that, I think that the vendors are not interested in largely investing in the technical support in the region because they are not as busy as in other regions. The thing that maybe ARIS has the edge on in the region is that they have a couple of strong partners here in the region. The vendor themselves are not fully available but the partners are really strong. The firm I used to work with, prior to joining PwC, used to handle level one and level two technical issues of various regions. When it comes to ARIS, that's the only edge I would say that has over the other competitors.

The initial setup is straightforward. I would say it's one of the easiest tools to navigate. It gives a big margin of freedom. You can lose track if you don't know what you're doing. I would say the ARIS team should have an easier standard filter where people can start at a novice level of the application rather than open the whole potential at once because people can get lost. That's an aspect that needs improvement.

It has a structured way to do the architecture and it forces you to start with the metamodel and move from there within a certain architectural design cycle. While ARIS is very simple and easy, the potential is huge and people tend to lose focus.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be fooled by the potential, take it slow and step by step. It's a long journey, to be honest, to adopt a BPM engine. Involve your IT team, don't look at it from only a business design because the tool itself is meaningless unless you combine it with web method.

Skew the design and make sure that the business elements that you're designing have actual merit in your back-end legacy; or that you can actually create a certain form to fill whatever gap you need to be filled. Otherwise, it's just a fancy way to design what you can change that into.

If you are buying ARIS only to map your processes, you're better off with Visio. I know it's more labor-intensive, but don't make that investment. Every vendor comes with a unique feature. For example, Pega is very powerful when it comes to execution. It helps you come up with the structure of your architecture easier than ARIS does. They have a unique approach to their platform. One platform covers the design and execution.

Discard the brand name because the only feature that ARIS has that other tools don't is the process architecture itself, the design elements. However, in terms of the execution, you cannot do anything with ARIS. It doesn't add value.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

EV
Co-owner PZ Africa at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Easy to use with valuable features but the technical support needs improvement

• "In terms of using the cloud version, if you're somebody who, like myself, has got a lot of experience and understands measures and notations and things, basically it's unrestricted. You can do so many things. You can do your Archimaze, you can do BPMN. There's lots of stuff you can do in there and if you're a good field person and you cause yourself re-using things or whatever, then it's very nice, it's very easy to use."
  • "On an enterprise level, the ability to onboard somebody quickly is cumbersome because it just has too many things in it. It's got something like a hundred or more techniques and things in it."

What is most valuable?

All the features are good. They all compare feature for feature very, very well to other solutions. It can do anything.

In terms of using the cloud version, if you're somebody who, like myself, has got a lot of experience and understands measures and notations and things, basically it's unrestricted. You can do so many things. There's lots of stuff you can do in there and if you're a good field person and you find yourself re-using things, then it's very nice, it's very easy to use. But unfortunately, when you work in a corporate where you have tons of people and you have people coming in and out, contractors and consultants coming on board, and then it can become messy.

There's a lot that I like about it. The modeling is fairly easy. Although, now that I'm used to the Symbio stuff, I love the fact that the model gets generated because now all your process models, all, regardless of who's working on the system, they look the same. There's no artist type qualification to work in the thing. Whereas in Aris or any of those products, you have to be a bit of an artist to make sure the stuff looks good.

What needs improvement?

What I don't like is that it's got release cycle management at the model level. It makes the assumption that all the objects that you've been using on the model are actually also good quality. It doesn't really ensure that it is good quality with the latest version. You can create tons of duplicates in Aris, that's the problem. If you're not careful and you don't have very good governance in place, the system is not going to stop you from creating multiple instances of the same thing but different spelling, different underscores etc. For example, Microsoft CRM. Another person will call it MS CRM, somebody else will spell it out, MI-CRO-SOFT CRM. So you have all these things in the system which ultimately you're using to ensure the data quality. If you can't trust the data, if you can't do what-if analysis, then it becomes a problem.

You have to actually get somebody who has to run scripts, or a whole team in a big organization, to look at these things the whole time and make sure it's sound. I don't like that because it's not self-managing. In comparison, on the Symbio side, it's just the opposite. All objects in the thing are under the ownership of somebody in the business. If you use that object once on a process, for instance, you don't have to go and ask again. The system will check. That's in the latest release, you can actually then release your process, with other words and it gets published. But let's say for instance you now create something new, and it hasn't got an owner, you won't be able to publish your process because the system will tell you, no, you're using stuff on this process which hasn't been verified yet. That's what I like. I like the fact that it's more self-driving management system than something which you have to have a little cottage industry around it.

It's no different to, let's say, a CRM system. You don't want to have your contact details duplicated in the CRM system 20 times and then you don't know which one is which one. You don't want that, you want one. And that's the problem. That's a complete architecture from a design perspective. That's something you'll have to re-architect the platform completely to do.

On an enterprise level, the ability to onboard somebody quickly is cumbersome because it just has too many things in it. It's got something like a hundred or more techniques and things in it. If you don't have that bedded down exactly and can't do a how-to for somebody, is a nightmare.

I've been using this solution for 20 years.

The solution is very stable.

You have to pay for it obviously, but it can go from small to a medium enterprise to a large scale enterprise fairly easily. You have to pay for the bandwidth, and the capacity to use it on the cloud side but it's scalable.

The local support is not good. All the support goes back to Germany. The local support in South Africa for instance, I think this is basically a problem everywhere, it's not good. And the reason for that is when Aris was still part of IDS Scheer, IDS Scheer built small little businesses in each country so that there's an ownership model. Now, when they took over, they all have a big brother approach. They've got a ticketing system and basically run it like that. It doesn't have that personal touch. In the old days when IDS Scheer still owned it, you could phone a local representative and they knew the system, they knew the capabilities. It was like a first line. So the second line, the third line or tier, went then to Germany. But now everything goes to Germany. I don't like that.

I can't speak to the difficulty or ease of the initial setup. Mine was set up for me. So I don't know really how difficult that is.

What other advice do I have?

The majority of the time I've been using a hosted version and not the Cloud version, the Connect one. I've used the Connect one as well. Architecturally they're the same. They still have groups or folders. You still have a screen which is white when you start open and you have to put things on the screen. It's pretty much the same logic except that it's now cloud-based. It's slightly easier, and you can collaborate.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

AK
Senior Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The usability is what we appreciate in this solution to assist us with business mapping

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is business mapping.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved the way our organization does training.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is its usability.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more support for architectural diagrams.

Our experience with technical support was good.

The initial setup of this solution was straightforward. It was a "grin filled" implementation.

What other advice do I have?

This product works for us right now. If at some point it doesn't work then we'll end up changing it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is business mapping.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved the way our organization does training.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is its usability.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more support for architectural diagrams.

Our experience with technical support was good.