Aruba ClearPass OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Aruba ClearPass is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Network Access Control (NAC) tools. It is most often compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine): Aruba ClearPass vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine)

What is Aruba ClearPass?

ClearPass Policy Manager provides secure network access in a world made up of mobile and IoT devices. It features ultra-scalable AAA with RADIUS and uses contextual data based on every user and device to enforce adaptive policies for wireless, wired or VPN access.

Aruba ClearPass is also known as Avenda eTIPS.

Download the Network Access Control (NAC) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Aruba ClearPass Customers

Consulate Health Care, Los Angeles Unified School District, Science Applications International Corp (SAIC), San Diego State University, KFC, ACTS Retirement-Life Communities

Aruba ClearPass Video

Archived Aruba ClearPass Reviews (more than two years old)

AN
Security Automation and Incident Response at a tech services company
Enables us to double verify whether a machine is compliant with our policy

• "We can double verify whether a machine is compliant with our policy on the one hand, and on the other hand if it's one of our machines we let it into the network."
  • "The user interface should be improved. The logs and how the logging mechanism works can also use an upgrade."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution mainly for NAC, network access control.

How has it helped my organization?

It's security control after all so just like you have an EDR installed, we double verify whether a machine is compliant with our policy on the one hand, and on the other hand, if it's also one of our machines so that we can let it into the network. It's security control.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the policy compliance. They have an API that assists you in checking whether a machine has specific clients. For example, we check whether the EDR is updated and whether there are specific clients whose machine should be allowed to connect to the network.

What needs improvement?

The user interface should be improved. The logs and how the logging mechanism works can also use an upgrade. It should also have better reporting, we were trying to do the reports and didn't manage to do them because technically we couldn't.

Better documentation on the API would be useful as well.

We've been using Aruba ClearPass for around a year.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is good. We didn't have any problems there. We deployed it in 12 hours worldwide, so it's pretty scalable. There are about 2,500 users currently, in total.

In terms of increasing our user base, we increase the license whenever we acquire a company so it depends on whether we're growing organically or not organically. It's in the pipeline, so once we buy a company they go through us, pick a stage, and we implement all the security enforcement for that company. So as long as we buy companies, we implement this as well.

Most of the problems we had were solved by the integrator. The technical support is medium to good.

The initial setup was complex. The deployment was fast, but in order to tune the policy, install the agent, and do everything else, I would say it took around 4 to 6 months.

We used an integrator. They were very good. Most of the shortcomings were technology based, not implementation based.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to get a good integrator.

I would rate this solution as an eight and a half out of ten.

it_user688896
WiFi Manager at Etisalat UAE
Offers support for every time you have database issues

• "Aruba has improved my organization because it supported me on my level of access."
  • "Aruba needs to improve and the processes must be clear."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Aruba ClearPass is to use it in IoT services.

How has it helped my organization?

Aruba has improved my organization because it supported me on my level of access. I hope to see Aruba add routers to their portfolio.

What is most valuable?

A very important feature for me is its support of a multi-tenant solution on deliverables. For instance, I have three customers, or three users, and I want each customer to have his own portal and his own database to manage their subscriber for reporting and for provision.

What needs improvement?

Aruba needs to improve and the processes must be clear. I also believe the marketing is very important, as well as to split the database to be more specific, like having a user name, access point name or site name.

We have been using Aruba ClearPass for two years now.

In general, Aruba is very stable and it supports me every time I have issues related to my database.

The scalability is good. We currently have about 100 users but we expect this to grow to 10,000 by the end of the year. So we plan to increase our usage. We won't need to employ extra staff because the support from Aruba is very good.

The technical support from Aruba is very good.

Before we started using Aruba we worked on Cisco, which has the same setup. They had the same access layer, access points, access controller and management at Cisco. We were, however, looking for a wireless solution.

The deployment took about two years, and then it took about two weeks for the configurations to be activated.

We've invested in Aruba to increase our customers to 10,000 by the end of the year so we hope to see a good return on investment.

We pay an annual licensing fee for Aruba and there are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend this solution for anyone in terms of guest management or from a security perspective. I will rate this a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Aruba Networks, Cisco, ForeScout and others in Network Access Control (NAC). Updated: September 2021.
540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
David  Kariuki
Manager, Systems Technology at Ketraco
If you max out the endpoint devices that you want to manage, you upgrade the license and can get more scalability.

• "The initial setup was straightforward."
  • "I would like the area of managing wired technology to be improved. Wireless is very good but I'm still struggling a bit to do my end to end configurations in the wired technology area."

What is our primary use case?

1. To improve overall security by segmenting the Guest and Corporate Vlan.

2. To Manage BYOD in the organization.

3. To provide visbility on my corporate network using one management dashboard   environment for the devices

How has it helped my organization?

Secure organization by completely segmenting the guest and corporate vlans SSID.

Less management and support effort on the management of BYOD.

Clear visibility on the LAN .

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features would be:

• Wireless segregation
  • Bandwidth segmentation
  • Prioritization
  • BYOD management
  • Overall visibility.

What needs improvement?

The Virtual Machine for the Clearpass sometimes has issues with loosing the management IP

This solution is stable.

Scalability is fine because it's batched upon endpoint devices, and licensing. If you max out the endpoint devices that you want to manage, you just upgrade the license and get more scalability. The core server is running on virtualization, so you can expand the resources for you to be able to grow your server needs.

We previously used Cisco ISE. We switched because it was complex. Even the deployment was not straightforward. When I had Cisco ISE, it was still in the first version, 1.2. I heard people mention that version 2.2 is much more friendly, easy to deploy, and easy to use but I didn't get a chance to test that. I used Cisco ISE when it was what I would consider a very complex solution, difficult to install, and even understand. Even then, it was not meeting my requirements.

The initial setup was straightforward and the deployment took almost a month.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine.

MC
Technology Manager at MediaTek
Helpfully identifies devices found in our network environment

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for controlling the security of our wireless network.

How has it helped my organization?

Aruba ClearPass has improved the security control in our network environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for our network environment is the identification of discovered devices.

What needs improvement?

Configuration should be more easy to understand between the link of two topics.

Four and a half years.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for controlling the security of our wireless network.

How has it helped my organization?

Aruba ClearPass has improved the security control in our network environment.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Configuration should be more easy to understand between the link of two topics.

Four and a half years.
it_user849375
Network Architect with 10,001+ employees

• "We are able to satisfy many different organizational needs because of its flexibility."
  • "It eliminated the management of 10 different individual discrete RADIUS servers."
  • "Its clustering model saved us staff time and reduced errors by eliminating the need to manage individual RADIUS servers."
  • "The product's graphical user interface (GUI) could use an update and better integration between the guest management and policy management interfaces."

What is our primary use case?

We used ClearPass for wireless 802.1x Authentication in a large campus deployment (more than 10,000 access points).

We are also going to use it for our guest WiFi access solution. I would like to promote its use for wired network authentication as well.

How has it helped my organization?

• It eliminated the management of 10 different individual discrete RADIUS servers.
  • We are able to satisfy many different organizational needs because of its flexibility.

What is most valuable?

The ClearPass clustering model saved us staff time and reduced errors by eliminating the need to manage individual RADIUS servers. The mulit-vendor capability is also valuable.

What needs improvement?

I'd also like to make sure there is support for Juniper switches.

Three to five years.

It has been pretty stable, except sometimes when we go to upgrade to a different version - it hasn't been user-impacting - but we've had some issues.

We were using a different vendor's wireless infrastructure, and we switched to the Aruba platform - and ClearPass, that was part the package.

The most important criterion when selecting the vendor in this particular case was integration with a wireless infrastructure product because it was the same vendor.

There were two in total, Cisco and Aruba. We chose Aruba because their technical support was more responsive and knowledgeable than we had with Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

Do a proof of concept. Actually get your hands on the product and don't just look at the brochure, the glossy about the product.

I rate it a nine out of 10 because it's done everything that we've been able to ask it to do.

it_user835116
Network Administrator with 51-200 employees
It has an easy to learn web GUI and ​command lines

• "It has an easy to learn web GUI and ​command lines.​"
  • "The support is top notch, expert, and very friendly. ​"
  • "​​The AirWave Dashboard heat maps could be better designed."
  • "Instructions on adding layouts are not as clear as they could be.​"

How has it helped my organization?

We got rid of books after our third year of installing Aruba WiFi. Our educational delivery system is 99% online with the exception of a few AP classes dictated by the State. As IoT has started arriving on campus, the Aruba solution is already in place.

What is most valuable?

ClearPass is the most valuable tool in my arsenal. It ties everything together: users, devices, IoT, mobile devices, guests, and networks. All of it.

It has an easy to learn web GUI and command lines.

What needs improvement?

• The AirWave Dashboard heat maps could be better designed.
  • Instructions on adding layouts are not as clear as they could be.

More than five years.

Every time I extend my environment: mobile device management, a dashboard to see all my switches, controllers, access points, devices, and users. Aruba has had the best solution.

The support is top notch, expert, and very friendly.

Cost is important. I switched because Aruba's costs were well below Cisco's. Aruba has outpaced Cisco in the marketplace and in performance.

I shopped six WiFi companies for a year before I decided on going with Aruba. Since then, I have replaced all of my Cisco products, with Aruba except the core, which I installed Juniper. This year Aruba has developed a premium core system, and we are putting it in. I like the fact Aruba has cloud or on-prem controllers. I like managing my own environments, so I use on-prem.

We are an “Aruba House”.

John LeBrun
Solution Design Engineering at Cigna
MSP
Gives us network access control, visibility, scalability, security, and control

• "Gives us network access control, visibility, scalability, security, and control in what is becoming an uncontrollable, inundated BYOD and IoT world."
  • "I would like to see is “AAS”. Not only Aruba APs with central, but NAC/ClearPass, AirWave, and everything licensed as a Service. This way, like AWS, they can spin up what they need when they need it and vice versa."

What is our primary use case?

OnBoard, OnGuard, SSO and IntroSpect UEBA, including Palo Alto integration. These are valuable from engineer to C-level executives, who want visibility, performance, statistics, and a platform which can take action for them without manual intervention, saving time and money.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Aruba is always finding better, innovative ways to make their products easier and more friendly. It is always being improved, but what I would like to see is “AAS”. Not only Aruba APs with central, but NAC/ClearPass, AirWave, and everything licensed as a Service. This way, like AWS, they can spin up what they need when they need it and vice versa.

None.

None.

Awesome tech support when needed. Each customer is given a customer number and TAC will follow through until all issues are resolved, whether it be a flaw in the product or a customer misconfiguration.

I did not personally use a previous solution.

Initial setup is straightforward. It is recommended to read the manual before implementation.

I provide straight answers. Licensing and pricing are extremely straightforward.

Run a 90 day free Proof of Concept (PoC) for each product by implementing and using it fully in your environment. This way you will be educated on its features, functionality, and manageability.

it_user812403
User
Makes it easy to require robust user authentication for both wired and wireless endpoints

What is our primary use case?

ClearPass is the best Network Access Control "Swiss army knife" out there right now. It can do 802.1x (WPA2-Enterprise) for WiFi and LAN. It also has one of the slickest guest captive portal experiences and workflows out there, along with an easy, drop-in BYOD application. I have not had too much experience with OnGuard, the endpoint integrity feature, but it does that too. With all of the ClearPass integrations and RADIUS Change of Authorization (CoA), it is possible to login wired or wireless endpoints based on a variety of identity stores, then create and associate security policies, e.g., DACLs, based on a device.  Dynamically provision VLAN assignments, i.e., no more "color-coded ports", write Palo Alto Networks (PAN) NGFW policies that are associated…

What is our primary use case?

Dynamically provision VLAN assignments, i.e., no more "color-coded ports", write Palo Alto Networks (PAN) NGFW policies that are associated with a specific user (rather than IP address), and quarantine or drop an endpoint off the network in an automated manner if an incident is detected.

All of this, naturally, comes with a lot of details in implementation, but my experience was, like all things InfoSec, implementing the controls is easy if you already have a clear, documented, executive-supported policy that you are using as the control to enforce. Otherwise, the control gets blamed for what is really a lack of clarity and leadership regarding the underlying business policy.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes it easy to require robust user authentication for both wired and wireless endpoints, including BYODs.

What is most valuable?

Access Tracker is definitely the feature that I use the most. It is invaluable for troubleshooting access control incidents and quickly getting to the root cause.

What needs improvement?

It should be clearer in the pre-sales stage that clear, documented, executive-supported InfoSec policy is the key to success.

Less than one year.
Senior Network Engineer/Mobility Specialist at CCSI - Contemporary Computer Services, Inc.
The features work in concert to provide secure on-boarding for guests and bring-your-own-device users. A more streamlined setup and more in-depth tutorials would be helpful.

What is most valuable?

All of the features work in concert to provide secure on-boarding for guests and bring-your-own-device users.

How has it helped my organization?

I implement this for other companies and they all greatly benefit. It's worked well in many sectors, such healthcare, financial, corporate, and transportation.

What needs improvement?

Helping streamline the setup and more in-depth tutorials would be helpful. The product is very complex and therefore the more info and tools that are available the better.

I've been using it for three years.

I feel the product is stable.

I feel the product is scalable.

Customer service is top notch.

Very technical. The techs always help until resolution and will escalate quickly when you ask.

It's the first AAA security product of its kind.

Whether the setup is straightforward or complex will depend on how you need to apply the product. It can be streamlined or be quite intricate.

I am the consultant who installs this for end-users.

Can come from the security or the ease of management it provides

It may be a little expensive or complex for very small clients.

What other advice do I have?

It's very powerful, but the individual needs to have a lot of knowledge across several IT disciplines.

it_user424623
Manager, IT Operations at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable solution for our guest network access as well as mobile device registration.

What is most valuable?

It's a reliable solution for our guest network access as well as mobile device registration.

How has it helped my organization?

The key functionality we're using is Active Directory in unison with device authentication, so every 45 days a user has to log in their password on their mobile phone so that you can use WiFi services in the office. We're going to be looking at ClearPass to do device authentication, which means the users will only have to register the device once and never have to re-enter the password again.

What needs improvement?

It was a complex solution to set up because of its newness. We needed a third-party implementor to help us.

It's a brand new installation for us, and we've only had it for a month.

So far, we haven't had any issues with deployment.

From what we've seen it's been pretty stable.

Right now, it's scaled. We're using it for guest internet services and it seems to be working pretty well. Our next phase with that would be to roll in for device registration as we roll out to our mobile device strategy.

10/10 for HP and 8/10 for the third-party.

We haven't really run into any support issues yet. On the integration side, there's obviously some expertise with the vendor, which is going to help us take care of some issues in the future, but it hasn't really been a difficult product to support.

We decommissioned other options. We had another, but we've since decoupled it and are now using ClearPass to do that.

Because of its newness it was complex, but the end result was pretty straightforward.

We did need a third party to come in and help us do the implementation. We had some initial help from an HP engineer on the Aruba side who spent some time with us, showing us an evaluation version of it, but when we went into production we had to get a third party to help us.

We're not really calculating ROI for the service. It's a necessary service delivered by IT to the corporation.

We're currently doing an entire refresh of our access point network, which is approximately 80 access points across the country. We've recently acquired all new hardware. We're refreshing the entire footprint.

Because Aruba was our primary vendor for our access points, it just made more sense for us to try to consolidate more services towards the new strategy.

What other advice do I have?

It's only providing a very small service to us right now. It's not like we're looking at ClearPass on a very full-blown basis. My advice would be to just make sure to do a proper spectrum analysis, and each of your properties are areas that you intend to put WiFi, because it will be critical to where you put APs and how closely you put them together.

it_user380967
IT Support Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
The most valuable feature for us is the ability to manage each access point from a single application.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

As we are a reseller, we had it installed in our office for our customer test. Also, we were using it as our demonstration tool. I found ClearPass made our work easier as we were connected to WiFi on our laptop, meaning we weren't constrained to our desks.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the wizard to make things easier to manage. When we had the access point, I was not sure how to get it to work with Aruba. I tried to follow the guide from Aruba support and the internet, but found it very limited even though I went through one of the two-day technical presentations. The wizard needs to show what you need to configure and what needs to be in there in terms of users. In the end, I got support from one of the Aruba systems engineers to get it to work.

I've used it for one year.

We had no issues deploying it.

We have had no stability issues.

We have had no issues scaling it.

I got support from one of the Aruba systems engineers to get it to work, but I haven't had to use them for anything else.

Our prior solution was a bit complex to configure things prior to deployment.

We deployed it with assistance from our distributor.

What other advice do I have?

You should go for it.

it_user377490
Wireless Network Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The policy manager is the most valuable feature for us because it allows us to manage every client request in the way we want.

Valuable Features:

Improvements to My Organization:

For an international big Italian fashion customer, we have deployed the WiFi network worldwide, including the hotspot network for serving the customer’s demand of a free connection in its stores.

Room for Improvement:

I would like for Aruba to make it easier to configure. They could integrate the different engines (Policy Manager, Guest, Onboard) into one single product.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no problems with deployment.

Stability Issues:

It's been stable for us.

Scalability Issues:

It's scaled for our needs.

Other Advice:

Attend first a ClearPass course as it’s very important in order to understand the product deeply.

it_user377457
Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
This product has provided us a tool to create authentication requirements that users have to meet in order to perform 802.1x authentication.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature for us is its ability to provide clear authentication mechanisms to support multiple authentication requirements.

Improvements to My Organization:

This product has provided us a tool to create authentication requirements that users have to meet in order to perform 802.1x authentication.

Room for Improvement:

The update process is very intense and I believe Aruba should find a way to make this process smoother and easier to administer.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for two years.

Deployment Issues:

We have not run into issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

We have not run into issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

We have not run into issues with the scalability

Initial Setup:

It was hard at first because I didn’t have any training and was trying to figure out the best way for us to use this product with deploying 802.1x.

Implementation Team:

It was originally put in with a vendor team and was only set up for access to the appliances.

ROI:

Our ROI has been good and solid.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

The pricing/licensing is very competitive with other products out there.

Other Solutions Considered:

We chose this product because we are using Aruba in other areas today.

Other Advice:

Make sure you take a look at all the types of authentication you want to do and evaluate if you have enough appliances to handle the load. Keep in mind resiliency for failover as well.

it_user377391
Senior Network & Security Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The advanced RADIUS functionality is the most valuable feature for us. It needs to be more intuitive to use with simplified administration.

What is most valuable?

The advanced RADIUS functionality is the most valuable feature for us.

How has it helped my organization?

It is possible to connect corporate people and external people to the WiFi with certificates by doing CA and on-boarding for external people and traditional Radius for the corporate people.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see improvement with RADIUS and guest on-boarding. It also needs to be more intuitive to use with simplified administration.

I've used it for two to three years.

There were issues with High Availability and very important changes and issues with version upgrades.

There were no issues with the stability.

There were no issues with the scalability.

2/10 - it was very difficult to find the correct assistance. If we could find the right one, we would be happy.

We previously used Cisco NAC Guest Server and AMI GoPod. ClearPass is the evolution of AMI GoPod.

It was too complex. There is too much functionality in one device such as RADIUS, Guest, Provisioning, On-boarding, and NAC.

The implementation was done in-house. It is the corporative authentication solution and the Guest Portal for the customer.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very complete solution with some important functionalities, but it can be difficult to implement and the support is not the best.

IT Division at Lais s.r.l.
ClearPass Guest allows us to build a structured external captive portal with customized landing page for each customer.

Valuable Features:

There are several valuable features, and the two most valuable to use are--

• ClearPass Policy Manager
  • ClearPass Guest

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

ClearPass Policy Manager has to be easier to configure. Now, it is very powerful but very complex when you want to set some “profile enforcement” only for some type of guests or a disconnection policy with Radius COA.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deploying this solution.

Stability Issues:

It's a very stable product and we haven't had any issues with instability.

Scalability Issues:

It's scaled for our needs.

Other Advice:

Plan very carefully your final configuration or you can lose yourself in the configurations phase.

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The greatest feature in Aruba ClearPass, in my opinion, is its modularity.

Valuable Features:

The greatest feature in Aruba ClearPass, in my opinion, is its modularity and its openness to all vendors. Unlike its competitor (Cisco ISE), Aruba ClearPass supports integration with almost all vendors, and the ClearPass Guest module is unmatched by any other vendor.

The ability to tune small details is really powerful and is always a selling point.

Of course, let's not forget that the ClearPass Insight module which produces such valuable reports with small pieces of configurations is a great feature.

Improvements to My Organization:

Customers who have used ClearPass had their organized improved with the ability to control all devices connecting to their network and the ability to even form a database of all the endpoints in the network and their fingerprints as well.

Also, the integration with Aruba Wireless is always a plus point.

Room for Improvement:

The main issue I have seen with Aruba ClearPass is specific integration with Juniper firewalls, and this is definitely something I would like to see in the future.

Deployment Issues:

I've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

I didn't encounter any issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

I didn't encounter any issues with scalability.

Other Advice:

I would advise customers who want to protect their network, do health checks on BYOD, provide guest access and of course AAA functions to manage their network devices to go for ClearPass, but they have to be ready to get into so much details as the power of ClearPass is in its ability to customize even the smallest details as they wish of course.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: The company I work for is a business partner of Aruba ClearPass.
Network Professional at Transformation Networks Inc.
The feature that I use the most is the Access Tracker. It displays all relevant information of each authentication request and troubleshooting is a breeze on how the data is displayed.

Valuable Features

A major feature that I deploy and all my customers enjoy is the On-boarding function. Once properly set-up, it is very easy to configure and maintain all on boarded devices and users associated with those devices.

Improvements to My Organization

I have deployed ClearPass in a number of organizations that have been using any number of outdated and obsolete security protocols for their wireless security from WEP and PSKs to MAC based authentication and global user names and passwords. Deploying ClearPass allowed these organizations to move from weak security protocols to industry standard security protocols.

Room for Improvement

Every deployment of ClearPass I have run into a bug or a feature that is not as user friendly as it could be. This can be easily improved upon by providing documentation and guides of proper syntax inputs. I have gotten around these issues by purely trial and error.

Use of Solution

I have used ClearPass for the past five years and have deployed all the features that ClearPass has to offer. I have deployed it in school districts, hospitals, government agencies and all major industry verticals.

It is not as user-friendly and intuitive when first using it as it takes some time to know were everything is.

I have deployed Clearpass in environments that require over 500,000 authentications per day and have not had any issues.

For 90% of troubleshooting and basic configuration the Technical Assistance Center has always been very good, once the issue becomes a unique case specific to the customer that’s when resolving issues may take longer the three hours. Overall, Aruba Networks is really good in supporting ClearPass.

The basic network set-up is straightforward to get it on the network. Activating the licenses and getting the subscription key for ClearPass is a bulky and compression process with very little guidance or documentation. If there is an issue with the license, the only solution to almost always call Aruba tech support. Once the licenses are sorted out an upgrade needs to happen and the size of the update is 1.4Gb or more and based on the customers network, may take a long time. Finally, after ClearPass is on-line and fully updated, the configuration and basic troubleshooting is pretty straightforward. If it’s the first time someone is looking at it there is defiantly a learning curve.

Implementation Team

I am the system integrator if it would be done in-house. If the person that is deploying ClearPass has experience with radius servers, deploying it would take three to six times longer than to hire a system integrator. Unless the in-house IT team has the time and resources to learn to deploy and troubleshoot ClearPass out of the box, then I definitely recommend getting a systems integrator. They would know how the system works, what questions to ask and troubleshooting techniques.

ROI

There are a lot of questions need to be answered before answering the real ROI question correctly, the biggest questions are how secure is your current network? Does it meet the industry security standards? Can you afford to have your network infiltrated or have loss of data? And can you afford to lose data? If not then pricing and licensing can be worked out.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Before you buy licensing know how and way you are using clearpass. I cant count how many times a customer has perched the wrong license or to many or not enough.

Other Advice

It can easily handle all types of authentication methods and has a large amount of flexibility, which can cover all scenarios. However it is lacking in third party integrations and little to no documentation on customization. Aruba assumes that you have working knowledge of their CSS tags, JavaScript, REST API integration and others.

If you are looking for a NAC solution ClearPass is one of the best all in one solution it covers all authentication methods and has a large flexibility that can be easily customized to fit any scenario in any industry vertical.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are currently a sliver partner with Aruba Networks
Co Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The two most valuable features for us are ClearPass guest and policy manager.

What is most valuable?

The two most valuable features for us are ClearPass guest and policy manager.

How has it helped my organization?

It keeps your organization secure in many ways, has easy guest logins, tons of options to customize the portal page, and many other useful enterprise-level features.

Automated guest account creation and the customizable captive portal has reduced the burden of the receptionist generating a token for guest access. It supports multiple authentication methods and the access tracker makes admin life easy for troubleshooting.

ClearPass onboard reduces the IT admin burden as well.

What needs improvement?

ClearPass Insight needs to be worked on. The functionality is not quite there yet.

Also, add-on licenses are expensive.

I've used it for one year.

There were no issues with deployment.

There have been no issues with stability.

There have been no issues with scaling it.

Aruba has one of the best support teams amongst all the vendors.

Technical support is the best.

There was no solution in place previously.

It was a little complex to set up. Following the installation guide makes the initial setup easy.

We implemented it in-house.

But if you do use a vendor, make sure your implementation partner is aware of all CleaPass features. Otherwise, it will be tough. Since ClearPass is a mix of AAA, NAC, Guest Module, Onguard, Profiling, and On-Boarding, make sure your partner is an expert in ClearPass.

The VM version is good for the cost, but add-on licenses are costly.

The VM version is good for the cost, but add-on licenses are costly.

We also looked at Cisco ISE.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Aruba channel partners.
Network Administrator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
It has a customizable captive portal for quick and easy BYOD access for students.

Valuable Features

• 802.1x quick, easy, and secure wireless access for our staff machines
  • Customizable captive portal for quick and easy BYOD access for students
  • Quick and easy ability to allow guests to use the wireless network

Improvements to My Organization

Bringing mobile devices on to the network has been simplified and secured at the same time.

Room for Improvement

Installation can be time-consuming, so Hire an Aruba consultant to do the install and save yourself a lot of time. There will be plenty of time for you to learn the product later. Plus, the consultant can pass on some valuable information during the process.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues with the scalability.

Aruba Support is fast and accurate. I never have problems getting someone on the line that can find a resolution the problem we are having.

The initial set-up was straightforward.

Implementation Team

We had a vendor team on site which helped accelerate the process.

Network and Systems Specialist at a university with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

Before ClearPass we were using the native captive-portal on our Wi-Fi controllers (Aruba) to authenticate users but this was causing httpd daemons to overload the CPU on the controllers. This situation created a denial of service condition on the Wi-Fi which was a major call driver for us.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Ability to drill down on items like “System CPU Utilization” or “Device Family” stats from the dashboard. As of right now you need to pick up to 5 items listed on the Dashboard but they seem to be static.

The interface is a little confusing as is setting up some of the options but this is partially due to the flexibility of the product. There are wizards available to create policy which is helpful. We’re primarily using it for RADIUS based AAA for 802.1x Wireless.

One and a half years primarily using the Policy Manager module, and one year using the Guest module. No Onboarding use as of yet.

MS AD integration was a bit of a problem at the beginning until our SE realized that the ClearPass servers need to be joined to the domain before AD lookups can be done.

I haven't experienced any issues.

I haven't experienced any issues.

Mixed – our current SE does not seem to have much knowledge about configuration of ClearPass and I have been referred to their “ClearPass Expert” on a couple of occasions but I have yet to speak to him/her. Aruba TAC has been able to help the few times I’ve called.

Our existing wireless infrastructure is Aruba so it made sense to use their solution for AAA. We did a trial with Win Server 2012 RADIUS and that worked as well, however it does not offer as many options as ClearPass does.

Initial setup was fairly straightforward following the “Start Here” wizard. Our only real “snag” was the Active Directory integration, but that was remedied by our SE.

The licensing model wasn’t explained terribly well to us so we vastly under-purchased. This has unfortunately caused us a bit of trouble over the last year. The licensing numbers are based on unique connected authenticating endpoints per day, averaged over 7 days. When we purchased the product we were under the impression that the licensed nodes were concurrent devices, of which we typically see 8000+ in the middle of the day. Our licensing ended up being 19000+ unique devices and we’ve had to put together a cluster of 4 Clearpass nodes to accommodate this.

The licensing model wasn't explained terribly well to us so we vastly under-purchased. This has unfortunately caused us a bit of trouble over the last year. The licensing numbers are based on unique connected authenticating endpoints per day, averaged over 7 days. When we purchased the product we were under the impression that the licensed nodes were concurrent devices, of which we typically see 8000+ in the middle of the day. Our licensing ended up being 19000+ unique devices and we’ve had to put together a cluster of 4 ClearPass nodes to accommodate this.

What other advice do I have?

Tread carefully when estimating the number of unique device nodes for licensing. If using Active Directory for MSCHAPv2 authentication make sure that you add Clearpass to the Windows Domain.

it_user357633
Senior Information Security Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
It has eliminate unauthorized access to the corporate network, hence minimizing the threat level.

What is most valuable?

There are many features of ClearPass that are worth mentioning -- mainly the extensive support of almost all networking protocols ‎and mobile platforms, the flexibility to integrate with other systems, the debugging and logging facilities, and finally the ability to fully customize web login and payment pages.

How has it helped my organization?

It has eliminated unauthorized access to the corporate network, hence minimizing the threat level.

What needs improvement?

If the UI is simplified and improved, bugs are minimized, and the support becomes more responsive, it would be perfect.

I've used it for two years.

There were major bugs that caused us to spend an extensive amount of time for recovering the configurations. Aruba has fixed it upon our request and provided details.

It's very good, but not excellent.

No, we did not.

It was extremely complex in our heterogeneous, scattered environment. To be able to deploy a NAC solution without ‎causing downtime is a tedious task.

It was a mixed team working together.

Sizing is very important as the licenses of Aruba ClearPass are quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Use the DHCP options for a long time to profile all types of devices communicating on a network. ‎Keep ClearPass in monitoring mode and start blocking profiled devices in batch.

it_user214254
Senior Network Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps us to ensure all sites are compliant with a unified set of standards passed down from our corporate headquarters.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for us it the granular, logic-based nesting of objects which gives highly customizable control over AAA for TACACS+ and RADIUS.

Device profiling for basic/intermediate NAC is also highly useful.

Improvements to My Organization

Providing granular control over which devices are permitted to join our corporate wireless network, as well as in-depth AAA (accounting, in particular) for TACACS+ sessions, is huge. We can refer back to these logs at any time, which are especially useful when we undergo organization-wide audits.

Having a global business presence, CPPM helps us to ensure all sites are compliant with a unified set of standards passed down from our corporate headquarters.

Room for Improvement

• I'd like to see greater ability to customize backups – locations, transfer protocols (SCP/SFTP, etc).
  • Small tweaks like scroll bar distances within large Enforcement Policies. More customization for SNMP traps (types), a well as published MIB files so that we can utilize our network monitoring environment more heavily with polling specific aspects of CPPM.
  • Hardware requirements for VM templates we use (CP-VA-5K) are, quite frankly, absurd (very high disk storage requirements).

Use of Solution

I've used it for just over three years.

I don't recall any issues with deployment.

I don't recall any issues with stability.

I don't recall any issues with scalability.

Technical support was not all that great, actually. They are responsive, but oftentimes are VERY reluctant to initiate a screen-sharing session or give in-depth answers. URL links to knowledge-base articles are very typical for initial answers, which (1) slows resolution, and (2) increases frustration.

It seems, in general, that technical support is more interested in closing new cases than they are in actually solving the root issues. 90% of the questions I’ve had I’ve had solved (for free, mind you, without any maintenance fees) using Aruba’s Airheads online user-based forums.

The solution was implemented before I gained ownership of it. I'm not sure of the history behind it.

Implementation Team

A local vendor was used.

Other Advice

Do your due-diligence in understanding how the product works before you deploy. CPPM (and many like it – Cisco ISE and ACS) are very complex in the way they are configured and operate.

If you can design the solution before implementation, you have a much better chance of scaling well, easily, and with little down-time as you grow the product throughout its life cycle in your organization.

Security/Pre-Sales Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Its integration with existing tooling/databases improves efficiency and visibility.

Valuable Features:

• Open standards-based Networks Access Control, 802.1x
  • Excellent API/third party integration module
  • Radius server features
  • Visibility reporting (see who accessed the network with which device, etc.)
  • Onboarding solution for BYOD

Improvements to My Organization:

• Security of wired and wireless network increased significantly without any complexity for our user community.
  • Integration with existing tooling/databases improved efficiency and visibility.
  • Less components to manage (we phased out MS NPS, Cisco ACS).
  • Guest experience improved while "load" on IT lowered.

Room for Improvement:

How the licenses-in-use counting works in educational environments could be improved.

Also, appliance sizing could be improved, as the gaps from 500 to 5,000 and from 5,000 to 250,000 is too large. There should be 2,500 and 10,000 appliances as well.

Deployment Issues:

No issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

No issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

No issues of scalability.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I'm a Security Consultant/Pre-Sales Consultant working for a Security Network Integrator. Mobility, Network Access Control, NGFW are a few of the solutions I'm specialized in.
Principal Network & Security Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has automated the bring-your-own-device process through the Onboard feature and posture health check validation through the OnGuard module.

Valuable Features

ClearPass offers a complete NAC solution including standard AAA functions with advanced policy enforcements for multi-vendor wired and wireless networks.

It has automated the bring-your-own-device process through the Onboard feature and posture health check validation through the OnGuard module, plus it has a robust and customized guest management experience.

Improvements to My Organization

I’ve designed and implemented ClearPass for several enterprises that were looking for a compete NAC and guest management solution. ClearPass was the best fit to address different client requirements and tailor the security access policy based on their needs.

Room for Improvement

Reporting module has room for improvement. It also need integration with SIEM solutions and Next Generation Firewalls.

Use of Solution

We've used it for three years.

There are a few issues here and there but they're not worth mentioning.

It's very good.

It depends on the scenario, but if the use cases and prerequisites were defined correctly before the implementation then it will be easier to implement.

Implementation Team

I started with an in-house implementation and consulted the vendor team when it’s required.

Other Solutions Considered

ClearPass has competitors, but it has kept its leadership position within the Magic Quadrant for the last three years.

Other Advice

I would advise you to at least include ClearPass in any PoC.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a tier one platinum Partner.
it_user356799
Information Security Assistant Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It checks the health of computers before granting them access to the network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the OnGuard agent which performs posture assessments.

How has it helped my organization?

This product helps the organization to perform the NAC concept and check the health of computers before granting them access to the network.

What needs improvement?

Access Tracker section and ClearPass Insight have rooms of improvements.

For Access Tracker: it would be great if Aruba added more information in the Access Tracker section, such as an endpoint’s IP address, device category, name/description of network device, and SHL name, if any.

For ClearPass Insight: it currently has low limits and a lot of use cases couldn’t be applied by the customer which required customization by the Aruba TAC. This is the thing that consumes the most time and could lead to performance issues for ClearPass Insight.

We've used it for two years.

9/10

9/10

I didn’t use another solution.

When there are a lot of requirements, the initial setup will be complex, so it depends on the organization’s requirements.

It was through a vendor team, and I would advise anyone going to implement this solution to enable all features during the initial setup and try to get some reference from the vendor in order to contact them and ask them about their experience.

For licensing, it depends on the organization’s capacity.

I didn’t evaluate another solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to get support directly from the vendor and not use the partner support.

it_user363603
Professional Services Engineer and Trainer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The OnGuard feature checks the compliance of corporate laptops and restricts network access for users who are not compliant with security policies.

What is most valuable?

Our company provides professional services and we implement the features based on the customer requirement. All the features in ClearPass are good and work the way they need to.

How has it helped my organization?

Based on our implementations for many customers, it seems that they're most interested in the OnGuard feature that checks the compliance of corporate laptops and which restricts network access for users who are not compliant with security policies.

The reporting feature in ClearPass has found devices that are non-compliant had has addressed issues during the initial implementation phase.

Our customers also often request the guest feature, which they find very useful.

What needs improvement?

The OnGuard agent requires some enhancements.

We've used it for the last three years.

It works best when you plan deployment according to device behavior while integrated in the network.

It's been generally stable.

It scales well in our customer network environments.

Our TAC is very responsive and very helpful. They are able to provide solutions for all the new requirements by creating customized SQL queries and configs.

I worked initially with Cisco ISE, but I didn't really get to know it well. My company currently provides ClearPass solutions only.

We plan deployments considering all the configuring that needs to be done on the other integrated devices. The setup always ends up smooth and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

You should test all the requirements during the PoC itself so that the planning and deployment will be smooth.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a distributor of Aruba and we provide professional services.
it_user347781
Assistant Manager - Solution Design at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
It has improved WiFi security and guest on-boarding to our networks, but it needs to be more vendor independent.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the guest on-boarding (BYOD provisioning, centralized access policies, posture assessment, etc.)

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved WiFi security and guest on-boarding to our networks.

What needs improvement?

It could be more vendor independent.

I've used it for one year.

I have had issues in regards to the stability.

The technical support is satisfactory. However, there is a room for improvement.

I did not use any other similar product.

The initial setup was quite complex…

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved WiFi security and guest on-boarding to our networks.

What needs improvement?

It could be more vendor independent.

I've used it for one year.

I have had issues in regards to the stability.

I did not use any other similar product.

The initial setup was quite complex because of the lack of detailed documentation.

I implemented it in-house. My advice is to first set up the pilot for a small environment and then go all out.

it_user184704
Channel System Engineer-MEA at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
I implemented it to make all authentication centralized and all vLAN assignments automated along with health checks.

What is most valuable?

Aruba Clearpass has a great set of networking securing features and, with its four modules policy manager, guests, onboard, and insight, it will give you the best NAC solution along with AAA, RADIUS, TACACS+ and BYOD features, which will help you to have a robust security on your network.

How has it helped my organization?

Actually with many projects, I implemented it to make all authentication centralized and all vLAN assignments automated along with health checks to make network security much easier.

We've been using it for over three years.

It's excellent.

It's excellent.

Compared with all NAC vendors, it is the best.

It is complex in a good way that gives you full flexibility to do a lot of scenarios.

It has the best ROI as it will secure all critical data.