Aruba Networks Wireless WAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Aruba Networks Wireless WAN is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Wireless WAN tools. It is most often compared to Cambium: Aruba Networks Wireless WAN vs Cambium

What is Aruba Networks Wireless WAN?
Aruba Networks Wireless WAN enables communication anywhere people work. It supports BYO-everything and does it securely and reliably. And it makes life simpler for IT with automation and centralized management.

Download the Wireless WAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Aruba Networks Wireless WAN Customers
The Pittsburgh Golf Club, Rio Rancho Public Schools, Amwaj Rotana - Jumeirah Beach Residence - Dubai, Trevecca Nazarene University
Aruba Networks Wireless WAN Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Aruba Networks Wireless WAN pricing:
  • "The price of this solution is better than some other vendors."
  • "The price of this solution is approximately 1,000,000 ESP ($6,750 USD)."
  • "It is more affordable than Cisco."

Aruba Networks Wireless WAN Reviews

AA
Network Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Allows you to easily scale your network infrastructure to support thousands of remote users

• "I like the way that it integrates with the ClearPass security system on-site."
  • "Right now, the integration between the support that you are getting from Hewlett-Packard, which is the parent company, and Aruba, they're not meshing together."

What is our primary use case?

We've built out a new office and we use Aruba as our wireless system. Regular workers at our company use it.

We built the office for about 500 seats. In the end, it should be able to seat roughly 500 people. If each person has at least three devices, that's close to 1500 devices on the network. That's the capacity that we're planning to use.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm coming from a Meraki environment, which was also cloud-based. I feel that Aruba allows for more flexibility when it comes to configuration and deployment. Aruba gives you the same feeling as using a controller on-prem, whereas Meraki seems to be hiding a lot of the configuration behind the scenes and forces you to actually call them and ask them to enable certain features. So far, using Aruba Central is more like using an actual controller based on the amount of configuration you can do.

Meraki just came out with profiles, but as far as I know, they don't have profiles for how your device connects to the actual physical LAN. They might have that now, or maybe with some of their devices that have multiple interfaces, but with Aruba, I could actually set up different interfaces on the actual access points depending on how they're connected to my network. This is an example of the granularity of the configurations that they allow you to configure.

Because it gives me more ability as an engineer to design the network, I'm hoping that it's going to be a little bit more predictable based on the fact that I have more features that I can change or set.

What is most valuable?

It's hard to say to be honest. I just started working through all of the different features they have. It's just up and running right now; we haven't finished really fully-configuring it. So far, I like the way that it integrates with the ClearPass security system on-site. It's just an authentication engine. Also, the web GUI for the wireless controller of Aruba Central provides us with a lot of different options. We can do a lot more with it than we could with Meraki.

What needs improvement?

Not too long ago, Aruba was purchased by Hewlett-Packard. They must be still going through the integration because their websites are not really integrated together well, so it makes it hard to find documentation. I'm assuming it's going to get better, but right now, the integration between the support that you are getting from Hewlett-Packard, which is the parent company, and Aruba, they're not meshing together. That's one problem that I found.

Aruba Central, because it's cloud-based (you're going to have this all the time with cloud-based solutions), there's going to be some sort of a lag between what you're seeing on the screen and what you're experiencing on-site.

With Aruba, you have more ability to see what's going on, but because you have more ability to see what's going on, it exacerbates the physical distance and the time-distance between what you're seeing in the cloud, and what you're seeing on-site. For example, they have a lot of tools for dynamic channel and power-out allocation. When you're dealing with something on-site, what you're seeing is more real-time. Maybe as I get used to working with Aruba, I'll be able to get in sync with what's happening in real-time, and with what I'm actually seeing on the product and the cloud.

This is a new deployment so I've only been using it for roughly six to eight weeks.

The stability and the scalability are both good.

The customer support is pretty good.

The initial setup is as straightforward as you want it to be. To get it mostly set up didn't take that long, but to get it the way that you want it to be can take a little longer. For me, because I'm new to this service (not wireless infrastructure, but Aruba in general), the initial setup is pretty quick, but to get it fine-tuned, it takes a long time.

We have done most of the implementation, in-house. We have a sales rep that we call upon, but we're just using general support, that's about it.

As we're still currently in the process of deployment, I can't say exactly how long it takes. As this whole office is brand new, we hired people to run the cables and actually mount them. We didn't actually do the physical install of all these APs.

Two employees (including myself) handle all maintenance-related issues with this solution.

Overall, I think Aruba Central will produce a good return on our investment.

I don't know much about the licensing, but you license the APs to be able to use or to be configured in Aruba Central. I don't know how much it costs but I believe it's on a yearly- basis.

We evaluated Cisco Meraki again, and we also looked at Ruckus — in reality, we just read some of their documentation. We settled with Aruba because it seemed like it had more security features.

What other advice do I have?

I only have experience with the controller-less environment, which is Aruba Central. When I do searches on Google, most of the information regarding that is for a controller-based or controller-less. I think Aruba Central is a newer way of deploying this solution, so because of that, there seems to be less information for it.

I would probably recommend talking to your representatives in order to get as much information about Aruba Central as you can before investing in it. If you can use a controller, it could be better or easier to find out information and learn how to configure it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Aruba Central a rating of eight. If they improved their documentation and the other issues I mentioned, then I would give it a rating of ten.

Private Cloud
EmadSafwat
Managing Partner at ODEC Technology Solutions
Perfect scalability, and great stability with no need for a physical controller

• "The solution is overall a great product. The stability is one of the best aspects of it. It's also useful in helping control multiple access points. You don't need to have a physical controller like other brands."
  • "The initial setup has a lot of options, which makes it very versatile yet very complicated to install. There should be two modes: a basic mode and then a more advanced mode to help make implementation easier. Most of the time, if it's a small installation, you don't need the complexity. You shouldn't need higher expertise in order to install a couple of access points in a single place."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for expanding the capabilities of the network to wireless devices.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In some models, you need to buy the antenna separately. They should put the antenna in the box and make it a full product. The non-antenna option does not work as well. Also, if you're not very aware, you might just buy the model that doesn't include the antenna and then you have to wait for a very long time for the antenna to arrive. It's not a good idea to sell it without the antenna. It's an unnecessary additional cost.

The initial setup has a lot of options, which makes it very versatile yet very complicated to install. There should be two modes: a basic mode and then a more advanced mode to help make implementation easier. Most of the time, if it's a small installation, you don't need the complexity. You shouldn't need higher expertise in order to install a couple of access points in a single place.

I've been using the solution since the HP acquisition.

The stability of the solution is good.

The scalability of the solution is perfect. When you first start to use it, you have an increased amount of access points, and when you extend the network it's very easy. We have about 25-50 devices.

We've never had to contact technical support, so I don't have any experience to speak to.

The initial setup is okay, but only if you know what you are doing. Deployment takes a few hours.

I handled the implementation myself.

The solution is more expensive than other similar solutions, but it's worth the price.

What other advice do I have?

We're an Aruba partner.

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Aruba Networks, Ubiquiti Networks, Cambium Networks and others in Wireless WAN. Updated: September 2021.
540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SR
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Central mobility controller can manage everything instead of having the independent or basic cellular setup

• "The product keeps up with leading-edge technology so we have dependability and scalability."
  • "This product needs more flecibility with switching technologies."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to provide wireless network access for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The newest features and options allow us to use leading-edge functionality like the central mobility controller which can manage everything instead of having the independent or basic cellular kind of setup. Bigger enterprise-level configuration and policy pushing will become easier with Mobility Master and that will provide better services for our clients.

What needs improvement?

The wireless options could be improved to expand the set of features. From a switching perspective, there should be a little more flexibility so there are opportunities to use a broader variety of switch models compared to competing product options. I don't really know specifically what they need to have and improve, just that they continue to keep up with emerging technologies and continue to expand the capabilities of their services.

We have been using this solution for almost eight years.

Scalability is good with Aruba. You can control and support any feature, unlike in Cisco where we have found limitations. Specific controllers have got specific iOS features. The features can be scaled from smaller controllers to bigger controllers, so you can scale at anytime, no matter what cloud the controller is on. You can also start with the cloud or start with on-premises and go back to the controller base at any time.

We have been in touch with Aruba technical support and I would rate them as pretty good. They have been responsive and answer our questions.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward.

Depending on different models you get different capabilities and flexibility. Based on the core components we can have greater coverage or limited access sites.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Aruba Network Wireless as an eight. It is not a ten. Nothing can be a ten out of ten or it would have to be the best product or the only product providing a service.

Mesut Ozcan
Senior Solutions Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to deploy, but the dashboards can be better and technical support should be improved

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of setup and deployment."
  • "Technical support is important to me and I feel that it is something that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a tech consultancy firm and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients. When our clients are looking for a local wireless environment, this solution can fit their needs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of setup and deployment.

What needs improvement?

The dashboards can be made much more useful.

Technical support is important to me and I feel that it is something that can be improved.

I would like to see support for SD-WAN.

The inclusion of firewall features would be an improvement.

We have been working with Aruba Wireless WAN for three years.

We have had no problems with stability.

This is a scalable solution. We have customers of all sizes, ranging from small businesses to enterprise-level organizations.

We have been in touch with technical support and they are good enough, although there is room for improvement.

We have also worked with Cisco wireless solutions. The price of Aruba is better but Cisco's technical support is superior.

The initial setup and deployment are easy. Installing a single device can be done in two or three hours. However, some projects will continue for up to 12 days because there are a large number of devices.

We deploy this solution for our customers. Often, we also deploy switches and other network equipment at the same time.

The price of this solution is better than some other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and my advice for anybody who is considering it is that they can solve a lot of issues with Aruba. I think that it is okay for most of our customers.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

MF
Project Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Has good market value and offers good support for the deployment

What is our primary use case?

We have this solution on our standalone sites operating with indoor and outdoor access points connected to a controller. It has multiple access IDs in the campus area.

What is most valuable?

The brand name is good for availability. It has a better market value than other vendors. This solution is more for enterprise-sized companies as opposed to SMBs.  All the features are available, even including the security. The access point enables the matching of any connectivity.

What needs improvement?

From the commercial-side the pricing side is fine but in other aspects, it could be lowered.

We have been using Aruba for the last three to four years.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Aruba for the last three to four years.

The customers are definitely happy with the stability.

Scalability is good.

I would give their technical support a ten out of ten.

We are system integrators, so we prefer to work with a vendor who offers support with deployments.

They are very knowledgeable and very accurate.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took around a day.

We integrated with Aruba's help. Aruba's support is very strong. It's one of the best features, their support is very good. There's support for any problem you could have during the configuration or installation. With their help, you don't need a consultant to deploy.

We deployed it with our own technician. We only needed one or two.

What other advice do I have?

Aruba is a very good product. Make sure to train your technicians for this product.

I would rate it a ten out of ten.

reviewer1288941
Director de Negocio. Redes, Comunicaciones y Seguridad at Avanti21 Sistemas y telecomunicaciones, S.L.
An industrial-level Wi-Fi solution with good performance and is easy to deploy

• "The most valuable features are price, quality, and performance."
  • "This solution needs different models that are more specialized for certain customers."

What is our primary use case?

I am a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that I implement for my customers.

My customers use the Aruba Wireless WAN for Wi-Fi connectivity and network connectivity. It is typically used in an industrial setting.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are price, quality, and performance.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Aruba Networks products since they first were available in Spain, many years ago.

The stability depends more on the customers, their environment, and how they are using the product. The product is used frequently.

Our customers are medium-sized and large businesses.

I deal with the technical support team for Aruba and they are nice. The support is fine.

I have used many other similar solutions including those by Extreme Networks, Cisco, Ruckus Networks, and Huawei. Huawei is the market leader in this domain.

The initial setup of this solution is simple and I would say that it works fine. It only takes a few minutes to deploy.

We perform the installation for our customers.

The price of this solution is approximately 1,000,000 ESP ($6,750 USD).

What other advice do I have?

Aruba has good enterprise solutions that I provide to my customers. I would suggest using it with it together with a good network that has the proper security set up.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Mesut Ozcan
Senior Solutions Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Connects all of our end-users to the network via the wireless access point

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to connect all our end-users to the network via the wireless access point.

What is most valuable?

I have found the technical support to be one of the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

Something that needs to be improved is the integration.

I have been using Aruba Networks Wireless WAN for more than three years now.

We haven't experienced any glitches so far, so it is a very stable program.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

I have found the technical support to be one of the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

Something that needs to be improved is the integration.

I have been using Aruba Networks Wireless WAN for more than three years now.

We haven't experienced any glitches so far, so it is a very stable program.

I am more than satisfied with the program's scalability. We've had no issues so far. We have over 500 users, and one person is more than enough for the maintenance.

Yes, we used Cisco before, but we switched to Aruba because of the price. Cisco was too expensive.

The initial setup was really straightforward and the deployment took us a few months to complete. Our team was responsible for the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely recommend this solution to others. I would like to see better integration in the next release. On a scale from one to 10, I will rate this product an eight.

EA
Network Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Controller with access points that is stable and easy to setup

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to control access and bandwidth. It is used for the RTLS tracking devices that are supported by Aruba and we are going to test it in our environment.

What is most valuable?

We don't know this product very well yet, but what we have used so far and what we like are user control, bandwidth, and access. For each access point, there is one that controls the application, the layer and bandwidth quota.

What needs improvement?

The support needs improvement because it is not very good in terms of response time. It takes to long to resolve issues.

We have been using this solution for two to three months.

In the short time that we have been…

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to control access and bandwidth.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for two to three months.

In the short time that we have been using this solution, it has been stable, and we haven't had any issues.

This solution is scalable.

At the moment we have one hundred users, but our target is more than three thousand.

The technical support is okay, but the response time is not very good. It takes too long to resolve the issues.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Wireless WAN
Download our free Wireless WAN Report and find out what your peers are saying about Aruba Networks, Ubiquiti Networks, Cambium Networks, and more!