Hamed Wasel
Sr. Security Network Engineer at Children's Cancer Hospital
A Stable Access Point Solution with Smart Rate Ports

• "The most valuable feature is the Aruba Smart Rate Port."
  • "The templates to automate our switches need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use four Aruba Switches, in one stack, for 802.1X.

We use Aruba Switches mainly as access points.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Aruba Smart Rate Port.

What needs improvement?

The templates to automate our switches need improvement.

We apply a template using Bison or ANSI C to automate our tasks daily.

We are using Bison and ANSI C programming language to automate our work for shutting down ports, and if the support has locked our shutdown with port security.

Cisco has Nexus Switches for the Data Center solutions. These switches are very powerful. In my research, I haven't found anything that is comparable.

In the next release or the near future, I would like similar Data Cente switches included.

I have been using this solution for one year.

Aruba Switches are very stable when you are using the full solution.

Aruba Switches are still in the testing phase.

We haven't tested the scalability for this solution yet, but there is another building that we are expanding to and we expect it to scale there.

We have approximately one thousand users.

We have not had any issues with this solution so we have not opened any tickets with technical support.

We were using other switches by Aruba prior to these. We stayed with Aruba to maintain compatibility.

The initial setup of this solution is very simple.

When we implemented the solution, we called a vendor to support us.

We have an in house assistant who configured the solution, but we had a vendor here to support us if we needed it.

We configured all of our switches to gain the experience.

I have also used Cisco switches and they are harder to set up.

What other advice do I have?

I received training on this solution from HP, here in Egypt.

I strongly recommend Aruba Switches with Aruba products for compatibility. If you use Cisco or other solutions, it may cause some issues with the stability of the environment.

Steven Adema
Consultant at Visolity B.V.
A reliable performer with great performance and scalability

• "This is a very stable product with good performance."
  • "The product could be a little more competitive price-wise."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is data center networking. We work with a hybrid deployment model. Currently, we are working with the 8325 switches. We have sold the solutions to a lot of our customers.

What is most valuable?

The thing that I have found most valuable about the Aruba product is that it is very stable. It provides great performance and reliability.

What needs improvement?

Our clients are really very satisfied with the service this product provides. I really see nothing for the moment that needs improvement. There was a new release at the beginning of this year that is currently available, so essentially it is a new product. It has kept up with good development.

The only improvement I can really see is that maybe they could get more competitive price-wise. Technically we are satisfied with the product.

I am a systems architect and ee have been using Aruba switches at our company for two years.

It is very stable. We have no trouble with the performance.

It is very scalable. It is a stackable switch and that gives it scalability.

We have not needed to use Aruba's technical support. The product has not given us any issues that require it.

The initial setup is very straightforward. The deployment takes only about half-an-hour. It is very fast.

Price-wise, the product is a little expensive compared to the competition.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for people considering this solution is that I would recommend it. It is very stable, it is a high-performance switch for the mid-market segment. It is just a very good switch.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Aruba Switches as a nine-out-of-ten. If I say that it is a ten it means that there is nothing more that they can improve. Everything can be improved. I think nine is a very good rating.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Aruba Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SW
Network Security Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
The command line interface is very useful and has good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We use and sell the 800 series switch. We compare the Aruba switches to the comparable Cisco switches as they have a similar feature set. We can sell them primarily because they cost less than Cisco. We use the Virtual Switching Extension feature that Aruba has for better performance and high availability. Aruba switches can be used in small and large businesses.

What is most valuable?

We have found that the command line interface is very useful and very similar to Cisco devices. We have also found that the Aruba switches are very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would say that the customization of the switches could be easier to configure.

We have been using Aruba Switches for the last six to seven…

What needs improvement?

We have been using Aruba Switches for the last six to seven years.

Aruba switches are a stable solution.

Aruba switches are very scalable. It can be integrated with other solutions. They can be used with either ClearPass or Cisco ICE.

Aruba technical support is very useful. you can contact them with a global number. They answer very quickly, in a few minutes we have the engineer on the call. So the technical support seems better than Cisco from a support perspective.

This initial setup of Aruba switches is very simple. The length of the deployment depends on how many switches are, and what type of switches you're doing, access switches versus the distribution switches. With a larger deployment, we need to take the time to take appropriate order, depending upon the client, location, and all that.

We deploy the Aruba switches for our clients.

Aruba switches are cheaper than Cisco for a similar feature set. The licensing costs are also cheaper than Cisco.

We have also used Cisco switches and they provide a similar feature set.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Aruba switches at a nine out of a scale of ten.

CR
IT Director at a government
Very reliable and easy to use but could have a better dashboard

• "The solution is very reliable. It's easy to use with other solutions."
  • "The interface could be more user-friendly and the dashboard could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our IT infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very reliable. It's easy to use with other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be adjusted.

The interface could be more user-friendly and the dashboard could be improved.

I've been using the solution for six years.

Now and then there tend to be issues if we have a virtual stack. If there's a power failure, the switches come up at different times. This means we have to shut down the stack and then put them up in a proper way. Otherwise, we will have issues with the IP and those kinds of things. I should note that I've only seen this issue with the virtual stack.

The solution is scalable enough. The product itself is fantastic; I've had no issues with scalability. Currently, we have about 700 people using the technology.

The solution's technical support is okay. I would prefer more engagements around new products and roadmaps, however.

I've never used a different solution. At a previous company, we worked with Cisco switches, which I thought were good until I came to this job and saw you could get a cheaper solution that was just as good.

My network is segmented, however, it's not too complex. The last refresh we did was 2016 and that took us two days over a weekend.

We had a provider that assisted us with the implementation.

The pricing is decent. It's less expensive than Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

We use both the cloud and on-premises deployment models.

I would recommend the solution, especially if you are on a tight budget and are looking for a no-nonsense product.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Navin Gadhvi
Assistant Manager IT at Suzuki Motor Gujtarat
Flexible and easy-to-use

• "We didn't experience any stability or scalability issues until now with Aruba Switches"
  • "If you work for a small business, then Cisco would be best."

What is our primary use case?

I use Aruba switches to provide a stable and comfortable industrial environment.

What is most valuable?

Aruba switches are more flexible, easy to use, have a good topology and are self-managing.

What needs improvement?

I have an opinion about Aruba controllers. Aruba access points do not require any controllers. Aruba controllers have different VLANS and there is no need to configure the access points, rather only the controller. You can put different VLANs on the same controllers. You don’t need to reconfigure it. This is a good feature that would be a good vehicle to use in the next release.

I have four years of experience using Aruba Switches.

We actually are the technical support because we are from HP. We give Aruba support and LT support to Aruba customers and users.

So, because my basic profile is network only, I have experience with wifi solutions like Aruba, Cisco, Ruckus and switches also dealing with Cisco and Aruba Switches and HPE switches also— 3Com. I also work with voice environments like Siemens IP PBX, HiPath, Siemens data and Jira. I also worked with Avaya PBX and Nortel PBX.

I was in HP for more than four years where I was the team leader, managing 14 locations and area network and voice leader.

What other advice do I have?

I have four years of experience working with Aruba but I have more than 10 years of experience with Cisco. If you are working in the manufacturing industry or in an environment with high heat and high temperatures, then I would recommend Aruba Switches, but if you work for a small business, then Cisco would be best.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Aruba Switches a nine. We do not give out ratings of 100% quality on any products.

SS
Network Architect & Pre-Sales Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
A feature-rich and reliable device that is easy to work with and has amazing technical support

• "The technical support is fantastic!"
  • "The need to come up with a bit more flexibility in their range of models."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a reseller and I supply these switches to customers.

The use case of this solution is to connect endpoint devices through to the data centers.

What is most valuable?

It has several awesome features. I actually prefer Aruba over Huawei.

What needs improvement?

With Aruba, some of the models that are available, you need simple features, but you have to go to very high models, very expensive models.

They need to come up with a bit more flexibility in their range of models.

I would like to see more flexibility with regard to the models that are available.

I've been using HP Switches for about 15 years, then when HP bought Aruba, it became Aruba and I started using it under the new name.

We use all of the versions that are available. I use the older Aruba OS Switches. I use the new Aruba CX Switches. It just depends on what the customer needs.

It's a very stable product.

Aruba Switches are very scalable.

The technical support is fantastic! Absolutely fantastic. We have no problems with their technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. They are the easiest switches to work with.

The deployment time varies; if it's one switch then it will be quick. If it's a hundred switches, it will take a while.

here are no licensing costs for the Aruba Switches. However, there are licensing costs for some of their other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it 100%. Absolutely no problem with it.

I would rate Aruba Switches an eight out of ten.

AP
Network and Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reasonably-priced, stable, and have good compatibility with other products

• "The most valuable features are the stability and compatibility with other products."
  • "They have limited CLI options in the UI and this is something that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Aruba Switches for switching and as a type of pilot.

What is most valuable?

When comparing there is no other product on that market that can compare to the stability.

What needs improvement?

They have limited CLI options in the UI and this is something that needs improvement.

Aruba should create a line of switches that are suitable for the industrial market.

I have been using Aruba Switches for between three and four years.

These switches are quite stable. For example, the firmware is stable and we have not had many issues.

It's scalable. There are many options for small, medium, and large enterprises.

Technical support takes a little bit of time but it is good.

I have experience with other products and I find that these devices are quite stable. In our company, we are about 80% Aruba and 20% Cisco when it comes to network switching products.

Aruba is easier to set up than Cisco. The command-line interface, on the other hand, is better in Cisco products.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Compared to other products like Cisco, Aruba switches are quite easy to configure and set up the first time.

The price for Aruba is quite a bit cheaper than it is for similar products by Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, Aruba switches work well, they are a good product, and I recommend them.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

AF
Networking Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable, scalable, easy to install, and we like the framework for virtual switching

• "We like the framework of fabric virtual switching."
  • "Technical support response time could be better."

What is our primary use case?

Our customer's infrastructure is based on the AKPA solution and we suggested Aruba Switches replace the AKPA Switches.

What is most valuable?

We like the framework of fabric virtual switching. It is the only virtual link between two switches, particularly with the co-switching environment. The link helps us to avoid issues with the findings tool.

What needs improvement?

I think that the environment for our clients should be simplified.

Technical support response time could be better.

We have been using this solution for between two and three years.

This solution is stable, we have not had any issues.

This solution is scalable.

Technical support is available in English and Italian, but they are slow to respond.

Previously we used Ubiquiti, it is cheaper but we went with Aruba and Cisco.

Cisco is stable and we don't have to worry about it not working. Aruba is still new to us, so we don't know it well, or all of the benefits yet.

With documentation and reference points, it's easy. It is easier than Cisco.

It took two to three days to deploy. We had a technician from our company to deploy the solution for our customer.

We did not implement this solution through a vendor. It was done through our Technicians.

What other advice do I have?

We are system integrators and we propose solutions for our clients.

From what I read in Gartner Magic Quadrant, Aruba Switches rank highly.

It's a good solution.

Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Aruba Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.