Aruba Wireless Overview

Aruba Wireless is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Wireless LAN tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN: Aruba Wireless vs Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN

What is Aruba Wireless?
Aruba deliver superb Wireless performance and multi-user MIMO aware ClientMatch to boost network efficiency and support the growing device density and app demands on your network.

Aruba Wireless is also known as Aruba WLAN, HP WLAN, HP Wireless, Aruba Instant On AP Series Access Point.

Aruba Wireless Buyer's Guide

Download the Aruba Wireless Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Aruba Wireless Customers
Consulate Health Care, Los Angeles Unified School District, Science Applications International Corp (SAIC), San Diego State University, KFC, ACTS Retirement-Life Communities
Aruba Wireless Video

Aruba Wireless Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Rodrigo Sandoval
Administración TIC at SMB Technology Partners
Oct 18, 2018
Helps us have better control over what is happening in our network

What is our primary use case?

A solution to problems for end users with friendly and easy to use work environments. It helps the user to have a better vision of what is happening in their network.

How has it helped my organization?

We have begun implementing its infrastructure, and it has helped us have better control of our wireless network.

What is most valuable?

Aruba Central The easy use of APs It has helped us have better control over what is happening in our network.  User management has helped us control their access and bandwidth on our network traffic.

What needs improvement?

They should provide usage guides and solutions to frequent problems. A telephone line dedicated to technical support for not-so-skilled users.

Hery Hafif Setiadi
System/Network&Security Administrator at Asuransi Astra
Sep 3, 2018
It has helped in making deployments easier despite the configuration's complexity

What is our primary use case?

I use Aruba Wireless to manage and monitor mobile users.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped in making deployments easier despite the configuration's complexity.

What is most valuable?

I have found the Access Point (AP) group profile feature extremely useful. It makes deployments look easy.

What needs improvement?

They should simplify the configuration flow.  Additional detailed reporting for client traffic would be a great addition.

Three to five years.
Learn what your peers think about Aruba Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,536 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Bhagat Singh
Head of IT Department with 201-500 employees
Aug 14, 2018
Constantly delivers the necessary bandwidth, even when there are suddenly more users

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for distributing internet bandwidth. The performance is good.

• "It delivers constantly, there is no break in the internet using these devices. It also automatically gets connected when the internet comes back. Failure is very low."
  • "What I would like to have with these kinds of devices is the most enhanced security. For example, if I could apply security from wireless devices, that would be great. I would also like more enhanced reports on user adoption, who is getting what bandwidth."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Aruba devices. I rate Aruba Wireless at nine out of 10 because of the performance and stability of the product. It's not a 10 because it needs enhanced security and a more granular level of reporting. If these kinds of things were provided it could be a 10.
MarcoPiazzalunga
Networking Solution Architect at ALE
Reseller
Aug 7, 2018
We can select the applications we want to use and block on our network

What is our primary use case?

For campus wireless coverage, and it is performing very well.

• "The performance and the application monitor. You can select the applications you want to use and block on your network"
  • "I would like to be able to customize Captive Portals."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it for the performance and support. For me, the most important criteria when selecting a vendor are * performance * reliability * support. I rate Aruba at eight out of 10 because every software has problems at times. It also doesn't fit all our customers' requests.
Mathew Simupande
HPE Business Development Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Aug 6, 2018
I can configure one device and it provisions all other devices with the same configuration

What is our primary use case?

I have a small office with about five APs. It has a good central management system to help manage my wireless devices, just to ensure that everything is working correctly.

• "With the central management system, I'm able to access each device. I can configure one device and then it provisions all the other devices with the same configuration, rather than my having to configure them one by one."
  • "The management system would be better if it were more polished, if it had a better interface like, for example, Meraki"
  • "If you want a centralized management system that is able to manage all your networking devices such as the wireless, the switch, the routers, and the firewall, then Aruba may not be the one, because Aruba doesn't do firewalls."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would depend on the needs. It depends on what size of business you have and what you are looking to accomplish. In general, I'd recommend Aruba Wireless. The only other thing I would let you know is that, if you want a centralized management system that is able to manage all your networking devices such as the wireless, the switch, the routers, and the firewall, then Aruba may not be the one, because Aruba doesn't do firewalls. For example, with Meraki, you can have a full Meraki network with the switches, routers, firewall, APs, all managed on one central network. With Aruba, if you…
Saseendran Vasu
Organization Civil Engineer with 1-10 employees
Jul 25, 2018
Provides us with a scalable Wi-Fi solution

What is our primary use case?

Wi-Fi. The performance is okay.

What is most valuable?

Scalability.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more security features. Also, it should have more than one, maybe five, access points. Wherever we go, we should get the same speed continuously, without disconnecting.

I am satisfied with the stability.

I am satisfied with the scalability.

Their services are okay, satisfactory.

It is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product, you can go ahead with it. When selecting a vendor, the most important criteria are a stable…
it_user879276
Network Engineer
Jun 5, 2018
Gives us visibility into a user's speed, IP, MAC address, and daily bandwidth use

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using it for wireless users. It's actually to monitor use; we're using stand-alone wireless controllers in all our sites.

• "With Aruba Wireless Controller, all our access points are connected to one controller. Through that controller, we can actually handle each access point; we can disconnect or connect that access point, and then we can tell, or see, or allow how many users are, or should be, connected through that access point."
  • "The most important feature is all about the two wavelengths, the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz, and the access points which are connected to this wireless controller."
  • "If we really want to know where a specific user is connected, it gives us the ability to see that and how that user is actually receiving. We can know the speed and their IP, their MAC address and, most of the time, how much bandwidth they're using per day."
  • "The dashboard tells us who is using most of the bandwidth, and how many APs are not in good range, or that do not actually have good security. It shows us which users are trying to hack or how many users are trying to use BitTorrent. So it gives us very good visibility into the user."
  • "The speed could be better. I heard that Aruba is trying to shape the speed inside the wireless controller, but that has not been adopted yet. If they put some kind of mechanism inside the wireless controller for the speed such that, "Okay, this many users will have 20 by 20 - 20 in the upload, 20 in the download. Just this many users. And this many users will have that type of speed." I think it would be very good if they actually bring that functionality inside the wireless controller."
  • "Every month Aruba has new firmware. I don't know if it's good or bad but it's not good in terms of production. We can't upgrade our firmware every month, especially an enterprise company, because if we upgrade our firmware based on the latest firmware that Aruba has, that firmware is not stable. They're not 100 percent sure about it."

What other advice do I have?

Take the training at first and then implement it. Be sure to have full knowledge of your network, know how your network has been set up. And have a senior engineer or have one of the Aruba engineers so they can help you with the project that you have. Ask them how to actually implement Aruba into your network and they can advise you. I give this solution a 10 out of 10. It's a new product, Aruba is somewhat new to the market but I think they are doing an excellent job. For a newbie type of product, it's not very easy to compete with the market, especially with the Cisco controller manager. But…
it_user848655
Senior Enterprise Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 23, 2018
It provides superior WiFi access and RF management

What is our primary use case?

Branch and campus access Guest and employee access Device onboarding and device access Guests are divided into groups.

How has it helped my organization?

Providing WiFi access to employees and guests. Traffic segregation WiFi roaming Digital branch

What is most valuable?

Superior WiFi access and RF management WiFi security via WiFi Firewall  Access control Integrations with other systems

What needs improvement?

Needs integrated wired, which is not traditional HPE. The new 8400 failed at Lab, plus its integration with Aruba Central.  Needs a good enterprise story, including branches and campuses.

More than five years.
it_user839688
Associate IT Director at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
Apr 9, 2018
Web interface for AP management is intuitive, makes managing the system easy

What is our primary use case?

We use Aruba wireless APs to provide wireless services for a private high school campus which is located on a 60-acre campus in Rockford, IL, with an enrollment of nearly 900 students.

• "The web interface to manage the APs is intuitive and makes managing the system easy. Firmware updates are quick and do not require much downtime."
  • "Scalability has been one of the easiest aspects of the Aruba Instant product line. As long as the models are compatible, you can simply connect it to your network and it will learn the settings from the other APs on the network and join the AP network."
  • "Customer service really needs to be improved. If the customer support was better, I would recommend it to others more than I do now. Considering that you have to pay yearly for support, I expect a higher level of support."

What other advice do I have?

We currently utilize the Aruba Instant 205 and older Instant 105 models. I would give both models a rating of an eight out of 10. We will be upgrading this summer to move our Instant 105 models out of circulation and will be implementing three new Aruba product lines. Make sure you get the maintenance licensing, don't skimp on the models. If you can buy a more powerful unit, get the more powerful unit, it will be supported longer and offer a longer ROI.
it_user840204
Director of I.T. at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Apr 9, 2018
Gives us flexibility, keeping the same three wireless networks at all locations

What is our primary use case?

Our primary product is the Aruba Instant IAP-205-US Wireless Network AP, JW213A. We have 16 locations. Currently, 12 locations have Aruba wireless APs. Within the next 4-6 weeks, all locations will have Aruba wireless APs. All locations except our main location use Aruba Central. Cloud Central gives us one management console where we can configure the same wireless networks for all locations.

• "We have three wireless networks: One for employee use, one for guest use, and one for our warehouse use, which uses MAC authentication. These wireless networks just simply work, they do not fail. The IAP-205 devices are very strong with great range. Very durable equipment; it always works."
  • "The Aruba Central cloud portal needs a lot of work. It is complicated to navigate."

What other advice do I have?

We have used this product for over six years. We have transitioned from a physical controller (model 620) for wireless, to the "instant" (virtual) controller, eliminating the physical controller. Overall, I would rate our experience with Aruba Wireless products an eight out of 10. The product is very durable, does not go down or fail. It rates a 10. The Aruba Central cloud portal needs work. Compared to the Cisco Meraki dashboard portal, the Meraki dashboard portal is a nine out of 10, while the Aruba Central cloud portal is a five at best.
SeniorWi09c2
Senior Wireless Network Support Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 8, 2018
Saves us the cost of additional wiring

What is our primary use case?

Aruba Wireless' network is the primary connection method used for connectivity to the university network. We use a master/local setup of controllers. On each of the three campuses we have two local controllers supporting the wireless network.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product at nine out of 10. Aruba provides great service when a call is placed for assistance. One drawback for me is the language barrier. Sometimes it is a little difficult to understand the technician on the phone.
it_user30798
Sr. Network Engineer at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 8, 2018
Ease of adding and being able to configure APs on the fly are key for us

What is our primary use case?

It is our primary wireless solution. We use a HA paired controller in our main DC. We use the 7200 model. We provide a corporate and guest SSID.

• "Its manageability of APs is the most valuable feature: ease of adding APs and the ability to configure the APs on the fly. Also, their support engineers are great to work with."
  • "I believe it would benefit from more reporting, other than just a dashboard. It needs some type of report builder so you can have PDFs to show upper management what is going on in the wireless network."
it_user837513
Senior Network Engineer at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 4, 2018
Contains multiple solutions like Guest, NAC, AAA; quick support too

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise wireless for employees includes multiple wireless controllers, ClearPass Policy Manager, and wireless access points.

How has it helped my organization?

ClearPass is user friendly for managing the entire solution.

What is most valuable?

ClearPass is a unique product that contains multiple solutions like BYOD, Guest, NAC, AAA, UEBA, etc. There is also quick support from Aruba TAC.

What needs improvement?

Access point mounting options.

More than five years.

None. The product is very stable.

None. Never seen a scalability issue.

Exce…
it_user839691
Help Desk Coordinator & Media Analyst with 201-500 employees
Mar 19, 2018
We are able to broadcast different SSIDs with different protocol requirements

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this system was to provide the best possible WiFi experience for students, faculty, staff, and guests of our campus. We had 88 APs throughout 14 buildings on campus. During the academic year, we could have hundreds of users connected to the APs at any given time.

• "​The feature that I love the most is being able to broadcast different SSIDs with different protocol requirements. ​"
  • "​Initial setup was very straightforward. We set up the switches and APs, then took it from there. ​​"

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product if it has what you are looking for.
    it_user840201
    Owner and Sr. Network Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Mar 19, 2018
    ​It has improved overall IT efficiency across the board

What is our primary use case?

We provide Aruba Wireless in over 30 schools in Southeastern Wisconsin.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved overall IT efficiency across the board. This has resulted in fewer wireless issues encountered and a more stable environment.

What is most valuable?

ClientMatch and AirWave: These have increased management purposes, reporting, etc.

What needs improvement?

Some additional reporting features about the clients would be nice when not combined with the AirWave management package.

M. Seidl
    Help Desk Administrator at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
    Mar 19, 2018
    Reliable, stable platform from controller to AP. Cost prohibitive compared to similar solutions on the market.​

What is our primary use case?

I administered Aruba Wireless systems at two organizations. The first was a private college with around 12,000 endpoints campus wide, which included over 500 Aruba access points of various models and generations configured through the Aruba 7220 Mobility Controller. The second was a private high school with around 5000 endpoints and 130 Aruba access points, models 125 and 134, and configured through an Aruba 3600 Mobility Controller. I have been maintaining Aruba Wireless systems at these two different organization for around 4 years in total.

• "When support is needed, the Aruba engineers are normally quick to respond to problems."
    • "APs are very easy to configure to the network once they contact the controller."
      it_user839679
      Account Executive at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Mar 19, 2018
      Allowed for detailed control and management of an entire WiFi network from a single screen

What is our primary use case?

I sold both the Aruba hardware and software, primarily the IAP 100, 200 and 300 series, along with AirWave as well as ClearPass to SMB clients primarily with less than 500 employees. At the time, I worked for PGH Networks, a local MSP and Aruba certified partner. I used this solution for four years from 2013 to 2017.

• "Aruba allowed for the detailed control and management of an entire WiFi network from a single screen backed by a support team with local SEs who work with business partners to ensure the product's success.​"
      • "I would have liked to see more manufacturer driven events and outings to drive brand recognition and familiarity.​"
      it_user836469
      Field Service at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
      Mar 19, 2018
      Allows a student or teacher to be able to roam freely from classroom to classroom without dropping a signal

What is our primary use case?

Provide WiFi access for an elementary school pre-kindergarten to eighth grade. Serving about 350 students with mobility Internet connection. The building infrastructure is a solid, old school, preventing your regular AP from being able to penetrate through walls.

• "Ability for a student or teacher to be able to roam freely from classroom to classroom, no matter the floor, without dropping a signal."
      • "I wish the APs had the ability to enter in notes about a specific AP."
      it_user836475
      Network Systems Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
      Mar 19, 2018
      Improved overall scalability and simplicity in configuring and replacing APs

What is our primary use case?

We had Aruba controllers and APs installed in over 1,000 retail stores and in several large distribution centers.

• "The product improved overall scalability and simplicity in configuring and replacing. The use of an Aruba Controller to configure multiple APs was game-changing."
      • "The most valuable feature in this product would be the stability. You build it, install it, and it’s good to go, with no further tweaks needed unless adding or replacing APs."
      • "An area of this product that could use improvement would be the troubleshooting. At times I had to engage Aruba Support which ran some pretty complicated troubleshooting commands. I would not have been able to do with existing CLI documentation."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it at eight out of 10. It proved to be stable with minimal failures that I saw in the three- to five-year time frame I worked with them.
      it_user836466
      Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
      Mar 19, 2018

What is our primary use case?

We have Aruba IAP-225 APs in both a school and a health center environment. We initially had 15 of them installed at the school about three years ago and kept expanding to 45 APs at this site. Our school was a challenge as each room has cider block walls, so we deployed a single AP in the ceiling above the wall of two classrooms. We primarily have laptops and iPads that connect in various classrooms and for training. We had such great success that we have deployed 40 APs in a five level building to support a new Health Center that opened in January.

• "The virtual controller has options for updating and remotely restarting any AP from one controller panel."
      • "​Support through third party vendors or direct from HPE has been easy to manage. They are very responsive.​"
      • "The ceiling grid mount clips have room for improvement. ​"
      it_user836445
      Director IT at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
      Mar 19, 2018
      It works with our Active Directory domain. The logging is hard to read when troubleshooting issues.​

What is our primary use case?

We purchased Aruba Wireless for our new office that we were opening in Austin, TX. I needed a solution which was simple to administer, easy to implement, cost effective, and tied into our existing Active Directory environment.

How has it helped my organization?

As we have acquired a few companies, having the ability to have multiple RADIUS connections has helped us.

What is most valuable?

Having it work with our Active Directory domain.  Having a RADIUS authentication was a bonus.

What needs improvement?

My biggest issue is the logging. It is hard to read when troubleshooting issues.

What other advice do I have?

I would buy it again.
      Jacob Golick
      System Specialist at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
      Mar 19, 2018

What is our primary use case?

Doctors offices, car dealerships, and small business. It is used to provide internal, guest access.

• "The initial setup is straightforward. Configure one IAP and all the rest self-configure to that one.​"

What other advice do I have?

Grab a couple and test them out. The features that these things have available and the ease of setup are fantastic.
        it_user836472
        Sr. Systems & Network Administrator at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
        Mar 18, 2018
        The product’s performance got worse with newer releases. It provided an easy WiFi solution for our branch offices to deploy.

What is our primary use case?

We are using Aruba Instant in four remote branch offices. We chose this solution at the time because of its controllerless feature and easy setup.

• "It provided an easy WiFi solution for our branch offices to deploy​. We could usually have them up and running from out-of-the-box in about 10 minutes."
        • "The initial setup was very simple."
        • "The product’s performance got worse with newer releases."
        • "The latest design of their APs removes the console port and requires purchasing an expensive proprietary cable just to access the console."
        • "I used to have issues with DHCP. It is extremely buggy and difficult to upgrade with different firmware versions/models.​"
        • "Aruba’s poor performance and random upgrade issues caused too much time consuming maintenance and troubleshooting."

What other advice do I have?

Perform a site survey and get a model that supports the latest AC technology. At first, the product was a solid 10. As time went on, and newer firmware was released, the product has dropped significantly to maybe a four or five rating out of 10 due to various bugs and design issues. We no longer use Aruba for any new sites and are slowly phasing them out from our locations with a different controllerless product that has drastically increased reliability and performance.
        Eric Winiger
        IT Operations Manager at a university with 51-200 employees
        Mar 18, 2018

What is our primary use case?

We currently have 500 access points deployed and operated by two controllers. Recently, all of the AP-125 models were replaced as part of a three year site wide upgrade, using AP-205H, AP-215, AP-225, and AP-325 models.

• "​Our wireless overhaul has reduced the number of wireless related help desk tickets by nearly 90%.​"
        • "​The ARM functionality does not always seem to perform how I would like. In some cases, I have had to manually assign channels to avoid channel confusion."

What other advice do I have?

Quality of the product and the OS interface are a nine out 10.
        it_user839694
        Network Administrator
        Easy to use, the 335-AP provides reliability, stability

What is our primary use case?

We have made a full 32-site school transition from Mary to Aruba wireless.

How has it helped my organization?

Reliability, stability, and best use of our network.

What is most valuable?

The Aruba 335-AP.

Three to five years.

There were stability issues, but only on initial deployment.

Very few scalability issues, mostly user error.

Great support.

We used Meru. We switched to Aruba for the newer technologies they presented.

It was pretty straightforward.…
        it_user837912
        SME at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
        Mar 15, 2018
        Denies inter-user traffic: It easily blocks traffic between users

What is our primary use case?

* Different roles assigned to corporate and guest users. * Corporate users authenticated via 802.1X against ClearPass with machine authentication. * Guest users authenticated via captive portal; ClearPass guest self-registration process.

• "HA: Apps failover without reboot."
        • "Role assignment: Each user is assigned a different role based on the radius attributes returned by ClearPass."
        • "Denies inter-user traffic: It easily blocks traffic between users."
        • "MAC authentication against an external Radius server while using 802.1X. This feature will help the L2 devices to authenticate via external Radius servers."
        Dale Nevarez
        Network Administrator at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Mar 13, 2018

What is our primary use case?

We use wireless for all testing (on Apple, Chrome, and even tablets). We moved our school over to having a managed wireless network. This was my first time doing something like this and my colleague nor myself had any issues with the software or hardware. We have a large investment in Aruba Networks WiFi technology. We have recently deployed a mix of Aruba 225 and Aruba 335 units to provide complete and full coverage over multiple floors. We like the automatic hand-off of a connection to the access point with the strongest connection. We have had no issues deploying the access points, and look… more »

• "The biggest selling point was the ability to create two different SSIDs to control public versus private wireless networks."
        • "Installation is relatively easy.​"
        • "​Stability and its ability to handle more devices has been an improvement for our organization.​"
          it_user656106
          Principal with 201-500 employees
          Reseller
          Mar 8, 2018
          Basic initial setup is very easy when it comes to a new user on-premise

What is our primary use case?

We are the one of the official distributors of this product in Middle East.

• "Basic initial setup is very easy when it comes to a new user on-premise.​"
          • "Aruba is outstanding, especially when it comes to the hospitality sectors.​"
          • "Needs improvement in point-to-point deployment products."

What other advice do I have?

Try it out. You will enjoy the hard-core concept put behind Aruba Wireless.
          it_user281328
          Network Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Mar 5, 2018
          The access points support a high number of connected clients

• "The initial setup was very easy and intuitive."
          • "The access points support a high number of connected clients."

What other advice do I have?

Try it. It works fine.
            Jovan Jovanovic
            Product Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 25, 2017
            It has lowered our partner's costs for managing their branch offices

• "Aruba Central."
            • "Initial setup was complex."
            it_user472203
            Solutions Architect with 501-1,000 employees
            May 15, 2017
            I'm most interested in combining the HPE and Aruba product sets.

• "Clearpass solution from Aruba."
            • "The enterprise controller. I'm planning on getting more information on that."

What other advice do I have?

The product seems pretty good so far.
            it_user485724
            Network Analyst at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
            Mar 29, 2017
            It allows me to monitor and block employees as needed.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you know how many APs you want to throw up there. Remote APs, stuff like that, and size your controller properly, but not for now but five or six years in advance because you don't want to replace it every other year so that'll be my biggest piece of advice.
            it_user358317
            Network Design and Delivery at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
            Oct 17, 2016
            Its Access Points are like plug-and-play devices that you just turn on and leave there and will automatically speak with its controller.

What other advice do I have?

From a person who tried managing multiple wireless device platforms, there were little to no incidents that we receive for Aruba devices for a specific period of time. Though the biggest contender of this product line has been setup to majority of our customers, it appeared that Aruba devices are more stable.
            it_user375078
            Senior Network Engineer/Mobility Specialist at CCSI - Contemporary Computer Services, Inc.
            ExpertTop 10
            May 16, 2016
            Review about Aruba Wireless

What is most valuable?

Aruba is the only other wireless vendor besides Cisco that offers the flexibility of using AP's in any combination of the 3 controller-based architectures.

How has it helped my organization?

Lots of Flexibility but with flexibility comes complexity. Flexibility is great for large organizations but the Aruba instant AP may be good for smaller organizations.

I have worked with Aruba gear for 4 years.

Any issues I encountered were resolved quickly with an excellent TAC.

Aruba has a very scalable product with different hardwar, software and complementary products such as AirWave and ClearPass.

How are

it_user423813
            Network Administrator at Centennial College
            Apr 28, 2016
            It gives us centralized management for all campuses and all wireless access points.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you get a proper configuration. Do a proper site survey of your location to know what you need to configure and how you need to customize it to your own environment so that when you deploy your wireless, you're not popping up with any surprises from a bad signal or bad interference in certain places. Just make sure you know your area and you customize your solution around what your area provides for you.
            it_user424338
            Network Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Apr 28, 2016
            For the most part, users haven't noticed hiccups because of the HA capability & the speed at which the controllers can authenticate. Unlike in the past, quarterly release dates have been delayed.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you buy the system that suits your network. They have a very broad pallet, so you can buy one that's overkill and buy one that's underkill. Make sure you spec and follow the guides appropriately. Also, you have to have a very good concept of how fast you're going to grow and how much you're going to grow because if you don't have a really good idea of what your growth curve is going to look like, you can easily buy something that doesn't fit perfectly. Proper planning for scaling, and knowing what your growth curve is going to be is key. Work with the SE's on figuring out the plan is…
            it_user423774
            Manager - Network Services at Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology
            Apr 28, 2016
            AirWave allows us to do different reporting on WiFi utilization at our different campuses so I can break down different areas of the college and find out how many users there are at any given time.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you're fully aware of all the products around WiFi and capitalize on any ones that are out there that would help your specific environment.
            it_user384546
            Manager IT at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Feb 18, 2016
            The features we find most valuable are the firewall, virtual controller, and its compatibility with controller-based and controller-less solutions.

What is most valuable?

Firewall Virtual controller Compatibility with controller-based and controller-less solutions

How has it helped my organization?

It supports different classes of services for different types of users, has easy management, is easy to use, etc.

What needs improvement?

The RF needs to be improved.

We started using it one month ago.

There have been no issues with the deployment.

8/10

There have been no scalability issues.

Customer Service: 8/10 Technical Support: I'd rate technical support 9…
            it_user368622
            Deputy Director Infrastructure Delivery (acting) at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Jan 19, 2016
            It's allowed us to be SDN-enabled with networking thrust re-route or pick-ups at the switch edges.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely look at SDN to take some costs out of your network. If you can, go with HP ConvergedSystem because it's the simplest, fastest way to virtualize your networks.
            it_user368196
            Development manager - Networks at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Jan 17, 2016
            For us, the most valuable feature is the ability to access our office's network. Once you are authorized to gain access, it's a solution that makes doing so a seamless process.
            it_user361920
            Founder & CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
            Jan 12, 2016
            They provide the flexibility to choose different models depending on, for example, the number of APs you want to deploy.
            it_user364641
            Infrastructure Consultant at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Jan 8, 2016
            The most useful feature of Aruba Wireless is the software and controls. The stability is only decent as you have to be careful to properly configure it.
            it_user364593
            IT Technical Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Jan 7, 2016
            It's a reliable product and it just works. The most valuable feature for us is the support they provide.
            it_user219789
            CIO and Strategic Technical Leader at a university with 51-200 employees
            Jan 7, 2016
            The most valuable feature for us is High Density. We also like the location awareness it provides.

What other advice do I have?

Consider all the software and add-ons for it because they can increase the value of it for something more than WiFi. Put everything together to maximize the benefit for your company.
            it_user364143
            WW IT Technical Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Jan 7, 2016
            The central management feature and the solution's performance are valuable to us. Deployment is easy as well.

What other advice do I have?

You may need additional tools like ClearPass, for example, from Aruba.
            it_user361452
            IT Infrastructure and Security Group Manager at İGA İstanbul New Airport
            Jan 7, 2016
            It's able to address BYOD complications by providing security for network access.
            it_user361494
            Systems Analysts at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Jan 1, 2016

Valuable Features

We were coming from a first-generation wireless network, and now I can use RF optimization for controllers. This is a major advancement for us and we're much happier for having it.

Improvements to My Organization

We can now see how many devices and how many users are on our network and where the usage hotspots are. Previously, we didn't have any data of this type, which now allows us to better plan our network.

Room for Improvement

I'd like more specific details of each user.

Use of Solution

We just put it into production and in the coming weeks we will receive our new access points.

Deploying it is no problem.

We've had some issues with stability for Mac and iOS users where we've had to disconnect. There may be…
            it_user347610
            Executive Director of Innovation at a hospitality company with 501-1,000 employees
            Nov 29, 2015
            The remote access through RAPS is a feature that simplifies access for our providers at home, and provides continuity of security, but the configuration is detailed and can be complex.

What other advice do I have?

Get a good partner. Not just the local IT shop that has wireless experience. Not all wireless vendors are created equal. To get the real bang for the buck, you need an expert to help you decide what you want and to implement it.
            it_user336468
            Senior Systems/Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
            Nov 26, 2015
            ​It improves security by helping us to centralize access controls and dot1x, but it would be nice to have the heatmap back in the controller.​

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend you do the training.
            it_user339819
            Founder and Principal Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Nov 26, 2015
            They let their customers deploy a wireless network and manage and secure it better than others, but they need to create a better unified story with HP switching.

What other advice do I have?

It's been the tech leader in the wireless market for a long time, which is why HP paid so much for them. Using the product is very simple, and there are lots of features unique to them. If you're going to purchase it - and you will pay a premium so it will cost more - take advantage of the security features, management tools, and analytical features.
            it_user273753
            ICT Technician at The Godolphin School
            Jul 23, 2015
            We are using older AP-61's that still work well, but it's beginning to show a few cracks as it ages and more devices simultaneously access the network.

What other advice do I have?

Even as the current system we are using is old and the AP's being used are AP-61's, it is still working well. We have 64 AP's around the site and with more and more students bringing in their wireless devices, we are only now starting to see some cracks. These cracks are to be expected due to the age of the system, and I'm sure it wasn't designed to have more than 1,000-plus devices accessing the network at the same time. So if the current and future Aruba systems are as good as the old, we should all be fine.
            it_user137469
            Network Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Apr 14, 2015
            We needed a real stack environment, a high density switch & dual power supply.
            Managing our data centre network was a challenge. It was designed 15 years ago, before the internet, and not very flexible. If the users had asked us to create a new system we might have had to say no because we didn’t have the space and the bandwidth. With two networks – one for administration and one for students – to manage, we were certain the old data centre would not serve users’ needs into the future: it had no room for expansion. It was difficult to install new equipment because of the huge amount of cable. We needed a data centre to give us space and where it would be easy to add and remove equipment. The administration had become increasingly dependent on IT services for carrying out its duties. As e-administration capabilities expanded, ensuring delivery of the systems demanded…
            it_user212721
            President at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
            Mar 24, 2015
            Cisco vs. Aruba Wireless Solutions
            Cisco or Aruba Networks? If you are considering wireless access solutions, this is a common question that you are probably asking. You probably have sales people knocking at your door. How do you make sense of all the stories that you are presented with. If you have done any research, you are aware that Cisco and Aruba are the two top names in the wireless access space. This brief posting should give you some insight. Cisco Cisco is the undisputed leader in the wireless access market, according to Gartner Research. This leadership number is comprised of four different product lines that are a result of four product acquisitions. Thus, when you are evaluating Cisco, the question is, which product line? When a company has this many product lines, it makes the upgrade path…
            it_user201984
            IT Specialist at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
            Feb 27, 2015
            Allowed us to have one controller at our central location and still provide wireless to our outlying clinics.

What other advice do I have?

* Have a strong knowledge of your internal network * Study the manual as much as possible * Focus on VSC’s and Vlan configuration * If you come from a Cisco background keep in mind you won’t use an access port on the switch port connected to the AP like you would in a Cisco WLC setup, but instead either a trunk or tagged port
            it_user148020
            Executive Director Ops and Infra at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Feb 22, 2015
            We needed the ability to be flexible or add capacity when necessary.
            To support the success of every student, we leverage Oracle business intelligence tools for predictive modeling to identify when counseling intervention is needed. We need the capacity to run demanding applications, the uptime to operate around the clock, and the agility to react quickly to changing demands. HP and Columbus State University has a long standing relationship that started in 1995. HP account team, VAR partners nurtured that collaboration with CSU in to a successful partnership to lay a solid infrastructure foundation to position the university to transform to a global university. To meet these goals, we virtualized our data center running VMware software on HP Converged Infrastructure. HP was a natural choice. We had relied on HP servers, networking, and storage for more than…
            it_user137460
            Head of Technical Services with 51-200 employees
            Feb 22, 2015
            Enables automated network posture assessment and real-time security across OpenFlow-enabled network devices.
            Our K-12 school has an extensive campus which hosts 250 faculty and 1500 students, with over 240 students living in boarding houses. Our senior students and faculty members each have a school-provided laptop, while also allowing BYOD access to the network in boarding houses, and throughout the campus for select users. Our IT team faced numerous security challenges associated with allowing unmanaged devices onto the network. We needed a solution that could accurately and reliably prevent and report threats to the network, no matter who the user or what the device is. Despite implementing measures such as installing local antivirus software on the school-owned machines and intrusion prevention on the firewall, our team was still bogged down with hours of manually identifying and eliminating…
            Nitin Teckchandani
            Associate Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
            Feb 15, 2015
            The new centralized licensing have made scalability easier than it was in the past.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product and if you want complete control over your network for wireless users this is definitely the product you should choose.
            it_user184704
            Channel System Engineer-MEA at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
            Jan 22, 2015
            ​Easy to deploy. I especially like the Adaptive Radio Management feature.

What is most valuable?

Adaptive Radio Management

How has it helped my organization?

We're a VAR and it's our best selling solution.

Two years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Fast response and professional teams. You can add new patches to match your requirements. Technical Support: Fast response and professional teams. You can add new patches to match your requirements.

No previous solution used. …
            it_user180984
            System Architect - Networks at a university with 501-1,000 employees
            Jan 13, 2015
            The initial setup required a lot of work however the scalability is the key for the solution

What other advice do I have?

Main thing is to have a clear vision of what is needed from the WLAN and of course, the expertise of the staff is one key factor. Pretty much, the rest is just pricing of the solution, acquisition and running costs.
            it_user178623
            Network Engineer at a university with 501-1,000 employees
            Jan 6, 2015
            We don't need to visit each AP locations for a code upgrade or troubleshooting but some went bad over time.

What is most valuable?

Central controller and ARM function on Access Points.

How has it helped my organization?

We don't need to visit each AP locations for a code upgrade or troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

More stable cide

6 years.

Some of them have cable limitations.

Yes, we did. Some model of APs went bad over time.

No, we don't as long as we purchase the license.

Customer Service: Almost excellent. Technical Support: Almost excellent.

it_user177036
            Professional Services Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
            Dec 31, 2014
            Has more features than other wireless solutions. Additional troubleshooting capabilities for ClearPass could help.

What other advice do I have?

The Aruba product has more features than the other competitive wireless solutions available in this domain. Product has good stability.
            it_user171990
            Engineer with 51-200 employees
            Dec 14, 2014
            Spectrum Analyzer and the WIP are my eyes in the sky. It would be good to have more than 4GB for the firewall.

What other advice do I have?

If you are interested in a solution that is straightforward in configuring and deploying choose Aruba solutions. If you want features that will open up more time for you as a network admin Aruba solutions is for you. If you are looking to improve your WLAN performance, scalability, stability, and security Aruba solutions is for you.
            it_user171840