Asana Overview

Asana is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Project Management Software. It is most often compared to monday.com: Asana vs monday.com

What is Asana?

Asana is web-based software-as-a-service that helps teams coordinate and manage their work. It helps companies move faster by making sure everyone knows the team’s plan and process and who is doing what by when.

Each user can create projects using a list, board, calendar, or timeline view. Within each project, users can add tasks, subtasks, sections, comments, attachments, start and due dates, and custom fields. Project and task followers get notifications on changes or comments on the project and/or task in their Inbox. Individual users can see all of the tasks they're responsible for across all of their projects in a view called My Tasks.

Asana is available in English, French, Spanish, German, and Portuguese.

Asana Buyer's Guide

Download the Asana Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Asana Customers

Uber, Vodaphone, NASA, Spotify, Lyft, Baggu, Udacity, Patreon, Flipboard, Dropbox, Intel, Samsung, Airbnb, SFMoma, Hubspot, Trivago

Asana Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Asana pricing:
  • "Asana has two different types of structures: company vs workspace. Company is really best if all the users you plan to assign work to are all internal (have the same corporate domain in their user ID email address). Once one person signs up (even for a free account) with a corporate email address, Asana will automatically relate that person to that company, if it already exists. If you plan to use it for external collaboration as well as internal, then creating a workspace is a better approach."
  • "It has a free version."
  • "The price of this solution makes it quite accessible, and the plans fit my budget."

Asana Reviews

Randy Casquejo
Customer Relationship Manager Coordinator at Yamaha Motor
May 20, 2020
A user can create custom templates with any project, but the templates should allow for a default assignee

What is our primary use case?

I work on a marketing team in a position that was created to implement a CRM Communication Program for existing customers. Because this was a new position and I was new to the company, I was tasked with collaborating with several people across multiple teams. In my experience, it's very difficult to get work done effectively without some kind of project or task management tool. After trying out various online solutions, I learned that one of our divisions was already using Asana so I figured I would give it a try.

• "Asana has helped me (as an individual contributor) organize my daily work and given me a way to plan for longer term objectives."
  • "A user should be able to identify an assignee for specific tasks or task types while applying the template, or at a minimum, allow for a default assignee. As it is, the template gets created with the just task dates driven by the project start and end dates inputted by the user. In my current situation, I'm assigning myself to many tasks, so I have to do that manually every time. Even if I eventually start adding other people to assign tasks, there won't be more than a handful to do. However, those few people will have multiple tasks. It would be nice to be able to select those individuals during the setup rather than having to do so manually once the project has been created."

What other advice do I have?

It would be nice in the future to add the ability to customize the colors of the interface and add company branding.
Cameron Burden
Immigration Technology Specialist at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
Dec 31, 2020
An intuitive and user-friendly solution that provides different types of views and has a good knowledge base and customer support

What is our primary use case?

I use it as a project management tool and as my day-to-day tool to capture and plan out my work. It has business and professional editions. Currently, I am using the professional edition. I am using the latest version of this solution.

• "It is pretty comprehensive when it comes to the different views that it gives you. It gives you a Gantt chart view, calendar view, board view, and list view. It is kind of helpful to have different types of views and see how it views your different tasks. I appreciate being able to do that. The biggest thing is that it is extremely user friendly. Asana is pretty intuitive. Someone who is not tech-savvy can kind of catch on quickly. It is better than other tools like Smartsheet. Some of the other tools like Microsoft Project and Excel are great tools, but you have to invest a lot of time to learn them, which is not the case with Asana."
  • "There could be some improvements in terms of how projects or day-to-day work is organized. One of the challenges when it comes to rolling out to an enterprise is the way the projects are organized. It has a kind of setup where you have different projects and tasks, but it is not as organized as Smartsheet when it comes to organizing projects or different teams. It can get really cluttered really fast. JIRA has another suite to submit the support tickets. It would be good if Asana could branch out to incorporate some kind of workflow. It is great for collaboration and recording work, but there isn't any workflow. It would be useful if they can map out a workflow of who approves what. This is kind of a big ask, and it is not geared towards that."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest looking through their knowledge base. They have a really good knowledge base for different use cases. I would even recommend trying out the trial, which is available for one month. With any tool, you just need to know what your specific needs are. I would rate Asana an eight out of ten because I'm still learning how to use it. It is not a tool that covers everything. It is good for my purpose, and that right now is just tracking the work and collaborating with other folks.
Learn what your peers think about Asana. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,301 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Fran Maita
Analyst at 1980
Dec 16, 2019
Promotes collaboration, improves efficiency, and helps to make tedious tasks more fun

What is our primary use case?

Asana offers better communication within groups. I can create tasks and sub-tasks. Asana also gives me the option to delegate the tasks to my team, and it has helped us increase the productivity of our teams. My teams will get a notification on who is taking care of the tasks, and I can keep track of the tasks that are already finished. A level of urgency can be placed on each task so that my team can work faster, and they can work efficiently.

• "By using this software, I have adaptability in my work, and it can improve the production of our company."
  • "The inbox feature can be a little overwhelming if you are working with Asana just from its project boards and only checking it periodically."

What other advice do I have?

If you are working with a cross-functional team with multiple projects on the go regularly, Asana is a lifesaver. Everything can be shared in one place. Delegation is a breeze. Communication happens in real-time. This product is well suited for teams where different folks are collaborating on assignments and there needs to be a clear outline as to who is working on what. It helps set very transparent expectations for progress and follow up. It may not be necessary for non-collaborative environments.
Peter Soncek
User
Sep 21, 2019
Past and present project notifications help keep everything on track

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for project management and it is working great.

• "I love the way it monitors all of the current and past projects, and it sends notifications to keep everything on the track."
  • "This solution has a learning curve, where it is initially difficult to use."

What other advice do I have?

This is an effective project management tool. While it was difficult to use in the beginning, it is now working great and giving wonderful results. It is really an amazing product and I have nothing bad to say about this tool.
Product Categories
Project Management Software
Download our free Asana Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.