Asana OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Asana is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Project Management Software. It is most often compared to monday.com: Asana vs monday.com

What is Asana?

Asana is web-based software-as-a-service that helps teams coordinate and manage their work. It helps companies move faster by making sure everyone knows the team’s plan and process and who is doing what by when.

Each user can create projects using a list, board, calendar, or timeline view. Within each project, users can add tasks, subtasks, sections, comments, attachments, start and due dates, and custom fields. Project and task followers get notifications on changes or comments on the project and/or task in their Inbox. Individual users can see all of the tasks they're responsible for across all of their projects in a view called My Tasks.

Asana is available in English, French, Spanish, German, and Portuguese.

Asana Buyer's Guide

Download the Asana Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Asana Customers

Uber, Vodaphone, NASA, Spotify, Lyft, Baggu, Udacity, Patreon, Flipboard, Dropbox, Intel, Samsung, Airbnb, SFMoma, Hubspot, Trivago

Asana Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Asana pricing:
  • "Asana has two different types of structures: company vs workspace. Company is really best if all the users you plan to assign work to are all internal (have the same corporate domain in their user ID email address). Once one person signs up (even for a free account) with a corporate email address, Asana will automatically relate that person to that company, if it already exists. If you plan to use it for external collaboration as well as internal, then creating a workspace is a better approach."
  • "It has a free version."
  • "The price of this solution makes it quite accessible, and the plans fit my budget."

Asana Reviews

RC
Customer Relationship Manager Coordinator at Yamaha Motor
A user can create custom templates with any project, but the templates should allow for a default assignee

• "Asana has helped me (as an individual contributor) organize my daily work and given me a way to plan for longer term objectives."
  • "A user should be able to identify an assignee for specific tasks or task types while applying the template, or at a minimum, allow for a default assignee. As it is, the template gets created with the just task dates driven by the project start and end dates inputted by the user. In my current situation, I'm assigning myself to many tasks, so I have to do that manually every time. Even if I eventually start adding other people to assign tasks, there won't be more than a handful to do. However, those few people will have multiple tasks. It would be nice to be able to select those individuals during the setup rather than having to do so manually once the project has been created."

What is our primary use case?

I work on a marketing team in a position that was created to implement a CRM Communication Program for existing customers. Because this was a new position and I was new to the company, I was tasked with collaborating with several people across multiple teams. In my experience, it's very difficult to get work done effectively without some kind of project or task management tool. After trying out various online solutions, I learned that one of our divisions was already using Asana so I figured I would give it a try.

How has it helped my organization?

Asana has helped me (as an individual contributor) organize my daily work and given me a way to plan for longer term objectives. I initially started using Asana just to manage day-to-day tasks, but as I became more comfortable with the software, I also began to use it as a way to capture campaign ideas so I could eventually convert them to projects and track them. I also started to use the Portfolios feature as a way to report high level statuses of all my work to my manager. Having a portfolio for him serves as an executive dashboard.

What is most valuable?

In addition to the Portfolios feature benefits, I find the ability to create custom project templates very useful. Creating projects can be time consuming, especially if they are complex (e.g., many tasks, multiple dependencies, multiple sections, etc.). Even copying a project to reuse it (which is common in a lot of other solutions) can create more work by duplicating unnecessary information. Instead, Asana allows a user to use any project as a template that can be selected when creating a new project. So, I have created base projects for various types of projects with only the tasks that would be completed and then use those as templates.

What needs improvement?

While having custom templates is a big benefit, I see a lot of opportunities for improvement in Asana's execution of the concept. A user should be able to identify an assignee for specific tasks or task types while applying the template, or at a minimum, allow for a default assignee. As it is, the template gets created with the just task dates driven by the project start and end dates inputted by the user. In my current situation, I'm assigning myself to many tasks, so I have to do that manually every time. Even if I eventually start adding other people to assign tasks, there won't be more than a handful to do. However, those few people will have multiple tasks. It would be nice to be able to select those individuals during the setup rather than having to do so manually once the project has been created.

Nine months.

I have not experienced any issues with stability.

It is very scalable.

I have not had any interaction with a support team as of yet.

I previously used Jira at a different company to manage a different kind of team.

We're not using any custom features that would require setup from the vendor.

Use of vendor services was not required.

I have not calculated an ROI tied to using this software.

Before deciding on Asana, I tried Trello, monday.com, and ClickUp.

What other advice do I have?

It would be nice in the future to add the ability to customize the colors of the interface and add company branding.

Other
CB
Immigration Technology Specialist at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
An intuitive and user-friendly solution that provides different types of views and has a good knowledge base and customer support

• "It is pretty comprehensive when it comes to the different views that it gives you. It gives you a Gantt chart view, calendar view, board view, and list view. It is kind of helpful to have different types of views and see how it views your different tasks. I appreciate being able to do that. The biggest thing is that it is extremely user friendly. Asana is pretty intuitive. Someone who is not tech-savvy can kind of catch on quickly. It is better than other tools like Smartsheet. Some of the other tools like Microsoft Project and Excel are great tools, but you have to invest a lot of time to learn them, which is not the case with Asana."
  • "There could be some improvements in terms of how projects or day-to-day work is organized. One of the challenges when it comes to rolling out to an enterprise is the way the projects are organized. It has a kind of setup where you have different projects and tasks, but it is not as organized as Smartsheet when it comes to organizing projects or different teams. It can get really cluttered really fast. JIRA has another suite to submit the support tickets. It would be good if Asana could branch out to incorporate some kind of workflow. It is great for collaboration and recording work, but there isn't any workflow. It would be useful if they can map out a workflow of who approves what. This is kind of a big ask, and it is not geared towards that."

What is our primary use case?

I use it as a project management tool and as my day-to-day tool to capture and plan out my work.

It has business and professional editions. Currently, I am using the professional edition. I am using the latest version of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our organization. Everyone is kind of using the same software. Instead of having an Excel sheet here or a Word document there to capture work, we have everything in one system.

What is most valuable?

It is pretty comprehensive when it comes to the different views that it gives you. It gives you a Gantt chart view, calendar view, board view, and list view. It is kind of helpful to have different types of views and see how it views your different tasks. I appreciate being able to do that.

The biggest thing is that it is extremely user friendly. Asana is pretty intuitive. Someone who is not tech-savvy can kind of catch on quickly. It is better than other tools like Smartsheet. Some of the other tools like Microsoft Project and Excel are great tools, but you have to invest a lot of time to learn them, which is not the case with Asana.

What needs improvement?

There could be some improvements in terms of how projects or day-to-day work is organized.
One of the challenges when it comes to rolling out to an enterprise is the way the projects are organized. It has a kind of setup where you have different projects and tasks, but it is not as organized as Smartsheet when it comes to organizing projects or different teams. It can get really cluttered really fast.

JIRA has another suite to submit the support tickets. It would be good if Asana could branch out to incorporate some kind of workflow. It is great for collaboration and recording work, but there isn't any workflow. It would be useful if they can map out a workflow of who approves what. This is kind of a big ask, and it is not geared towards that.

I have been using Asana for the last three months.

It is stable. I don't know about any bugs or issues at the moment.

I have scaled it a little bit, but I haven't scaled it to fit the complete enterprise. I have mostly scaled it for a couple of teams using it. It was easy for small teams, but scaling it when you get to tens of thousands might be a challenge. It is great for small-sized and medium-sized businesses.

Currently, we have just a few users. We have a data scientist, a technologist, and a manager.

They have a really good customer experience team. I would give them a solid ten out of ten. They provide really good tech support, and they are very responsive. They set up a call with you and walk you through it. I appreciate that.

I used Excel. I switched to Asana because it is easier for most people to kind of see it live how the work is progressing. With Excel, you have to save the work, and someone else has to open it up, whereas, with Asana, it is live. That's the major takeaway in terms of capturing work.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It has a free version.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest looking through their knowledge base. They have a really good knowledge base for different use cases. I would even recommend trying out the trial, which is available for one month. With any tool, you just need to know what your specific needs are.

I would rate Asana an eight out of ten because I'm still learning how to use it. It is not a tool that covers everything. It is good for my purpose, and that right now is just tracking the work and collaborating with other folks.

Learn what your peers think about Asana. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AB
Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use and setup with great stability

• "It's an easy way to communicate."
  • "There just needs to be a bit more direction on how to use it at the outset."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using it for communication with the company that we are reselling for. I'm not the owner of the products. Most of the questions that they're getting from our sales department they have to ask the vendor, so it's a nice way to communicate. It's a very good tool, very nice tool for delivering communications with the company.

What is most valuable?

It's a very useful tool because it's very easy to follow a path and its progress.

It's easy to open and close cases, and get answers. You can put a time limitation when the task must be done or when another person has to respond.

It's perfect because it's online and all the communications I see on most platforms, so it's very nice.

It's an easy way to communicate.

The solution offers fun easter eggs as you work through it.

The product remembers previously asked questions and can direct you back to them.

The solution overall is very easy to use.

It's better than email because email due to the fact that sometimes you can lose some email. This way everything is much more accessible and searchable.

What needs improvement?

You have to understand some basic functions on how to do tasks. For example, I didn't use any help file or helping tool to try to understand better what it could do. It took me, let's say a few trials to find how out how to import somebody on the Cloud. There just needs to be a bit more direction on how to use it at the outset.

A few weeks ago I started to use the Asana project management tool.

The solution is quite a stable product. I haven't faced any issues so far. That said, it's new and I haven't explored everything.

While I assume that the solution can scale well, I am only using it for limited purposes and therefore have never tested its capabilities.

We do plan to continue to use it so long as the company we are working with is using it.

We've never had to reach out to technical support. If we have technical issues, we can just ask our company's IT department.

We didn't previously use a different solution. This is the first product of this nature. What we used that was similar was previously provided by Office 365.

The setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. You can also install it on multiple devices. I installed it on my mobile device, and so I'm getting notifications also on the mobile device but mainly I'm using this where we have the Explorer, the web browser.

The installation did not require too many questions. Sometimes though, the system, for the application to sync with the web, takes a moment. However, it's minimal. The installation process was a matter of moments.

We have a free Asana license that covers my work. We don't have any costs associated with it.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is actually something that was recommended by one of our partners. I don't see many of these kinds of OEM products.

I'm using the web application. I'm assuming that it is the latest version.

I didn't upgrade it to the business as I didn't buy the business license.

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it ten out of ten. I've never used anything quite like it.

Fran Maita
Analyst at 1980
Promotes collaboration, improves efficiency, and helps to make tedious tasks more fun

• "By using this software, I have adaptability in my work, and it can improve the production of our company."
  • "The inbox feature can be a little overwhelming if you are working with Asana just from its project boards and only checking it periodically."

What is our primary use case?

Asana offers better communication within groups. I can create tasks and sub-tasks. Asana also gives me the option to delegate the tasks to my team, and it has helped us increase the productivity of our teams. My teams will get a notification on who is taking care of the tasks, and I can keep track of the tasks that are already finished. A level of urgency can be placed on each task so that my team can work faster, and they can work efficiently.

How has it helped my organization?

Asana is an incredible help as it gives me the option to customize and compose each of my companies, and it lets me do it most efficiently. I immediately see amazing results in my tasks since the product’s framework has allowed combination and correspondence. This software can generate more efficient teamwork in my team.

What is most valuable?

This product is versatile for an organization. It has elements that can be useful for my team and me, as it has capabilities that will suit our needs.

The software also promotes a healthy back office management system that will benefit everyone in the company.

Marking projects/events complete as they happen is valuable. The fun animation makes every completed task feel like a win, and it makes using the tool more fun. Very helpful when doing something that is normally tedious.

With regard to project management, the ability for us to track our projects all in one place is very helpful. Transparency makes it easy for everyone to be on the same page.

What needs improvement?

• The inbox feature can be a little overwhelming if you are working with Asana just from its project boards and only checking it periodically. It would be great if it auto-cleared once a project/task is marked complete.
  • Email notifications can get excessive. You have complete control over them but initially, they can be annoying until you set the frequency you want them. It would be better if this was set during the sign-up process.
  • Notes, discussions, and attachments in subtasks sometimes go unnoticed if working from the main project board.

I have been using Asana for more than one year.

I did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup of Asana is quite simple.

We deployed using our internal team.

• More work gets done by keeping everyone on task and giving management visibility on progress.
  • Asana makes it simple to get people organized and on task for projects.
  • Fewer meetings are required using Asana saving both time and money for the company.

No other options were evaluated before choosing Asana.

What other advice do I have?

If you are working with a cross-functional team with multiple projects on the go regularly, Asana is a lifesaver. Everything can be shared in one place. Delegation is a breeze. Communication happens in real-time.

This product is well suited for teams where different folks are collaborating on assignments and there needs to be a clear outline as to who is working on what. It helps set very transparent expectations for progress and follow up. It may not be necessary for non-collaborative environments.

Hybrid Cloud