Atera OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Atera is #1 ranked solution in top Remote Monitoring and Management Software, #2 ranked solution in top IT Service Management (ITSM) tools, and #3 ranked solution in top Patch Management tools. IT Central Station users give Atera an average rating of 10 out of 10. Atera is most commonly compared to NinjaRMM:Atera vs NinjaRMM. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 39% of all views.
What is Atera?

Atera offers a comprehensive solution for MSPs and IT Professionals. The platform provides in one integrated solution: full remote monitoring and management (RMM), PSA, remote access, patch management, billing, reports, and so much more! Atera’s disruptive pricing model also helps managed IT service providers scale their business while providing continued best-in-class service. All plans include unlimited devices, meaning you only pay per technician.Everything you need, in one easy-to-use platform

• Thousands of paying users in over 75 countries
  • Free 30-day trial, no credit card or commitment required
  • No hidden fees or restrictions, all plans include unlimited devices
  • Seamless integration with your favorite IT tools including: Splashtop, AnyDesk, TeamViewer, and ScreenConnect

What can Atera do for you?

• Improve Efficiency. Atera delivers customers the tool suite for IT management. Everything you need in an all-in-one, easy-to-use platform.
  • Automation. Set alerts and proactively prevent issues for your clients. Minimize time spent on manual tasks and spend more time on what matters most, serving your customers.
  • Disruptive Pricing, Unlimited Devices. Per technician-based pricing with unlimited servers and workstations means you can cover it all, at one fixed price.
Atera Buyer's Guide

Download the Atera Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Atera Customers

MSPs, IT consultants, and IT departments worldwide trust and use Atera.

Atera Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Atera pricing:
  • "Our company is a startup. The initial reason I looked into Atera was the fact that you pay by the technician, not per-device. That means you are able to jump right in with a service without having a large overhead."
  • "As an internal IT, it's gold right there. It is money in the bank."
  • "It comes with unlimited devices, so the fixed price cost is taken out of my budget. So, I'm all good."
  • "Atera's pricing stays fixed and predictable, enabling us to add more customers and unlimited monitored devices. We still have a number of clients who fit a break/fix IT model. This is something where clients are complaining more about having to pay extra month-by-month for technology services. With Atera's model, we don't have to be going out and asking for more from clients each month. Right now, with where we are at in terms of scale, this is very important to us."
  • "The value of the product is perfect, neither cheap nor expensive. I think it is the right rate. It would be awesome if it continued to be the same price because it is a great solution that I like. I like it because I'm not paying per device. I have some customers on monthly contracts and some of them are on break'n fix. If I have a client who is on break'n fix, and they need to pay per agent, then I am losing money. If they were ever to change structures, going to pay-per-device model, then I would need to think about changing to something else."
  • "One of the biggest issues I face is the need to pay per technician. I've dealt with other platforms that you need to have 250-500 devices. Even though the cost declines as the number of devices a person has increases, they still require you to pay for 250 or 500, respectively. With Atera, the number doesn't matter as you always pay the same amount. I approximate that Atera saves me $100 per week."
  • "We pay per user. I am the only user. It is $150 per user. If I need to add one, it is not as costly as expanding with other providers."
  • "With Atera, the more you add, the cheaper the cost of the additional endpoints will be."

Atera Reviews

Kimberly Bassett
Chief Technology Officer at Jetty IT Solutions
Helps us illustrate issues and justify suggestions we make to fix them, giving us transparency vis-a-vis our clients

• "It's very easy to use, not just for me, but even for people who have claimed, "I'm not very good at IT." Once you have it installed and you have it set up, it pretty much works by itself. It really helps you do what you need to do. It's easy to use for a beginner, compared to some of the other larger RMMs that are a little bit more complicated."
  • "I would like to see more mobile device management. iPad is a big one. I know they've been working on some of that. For me, it would be amazing if I could do tablet devices and even expand it to POS systems or the like. I know that a lot goes into that but I've seen it is an area they're looking at."

What is our primary use case?

In the beginning, we were using Atera to go into companies and get them onto a remote management system. Many of the companies that we worked with didn't have any type of remote management.

We also utilize it for invoicing services, when we have to go out to a customer and help fix different things, and that has been very helpful.

How has it helped my organization?

During these past couple of years, Atera has brought out so many extra integrations which have been very helpful in improving antivirus work, such as Bitdefender.

The solution enables us to be very transparent with our customers, which they find very comforting. In our business, we're normally hired by companies that can't quite afford an IT department. We help them with that aspect and with their tech debt analysis, helping to make sure that their equipment is productive for them and that they have less downtime. That increases their productivity and makes them more profitable. That's one reason why we really love Atera.

In addition, if you end up having a lot of tickets about one particular machine, it helps us justify suggestions we make. "Hey, you have this one desktop that for some reason keeps having a fan overheat" or "this machine ends up having ghost files that keep filling up the hard drive no matter how many times you wipe it." We can say to them, "Why don't we go ahead and upgrade the fan?" Or, "Why not change the hard drive?" It helps explain to customers what is going on with the machine. We can tell them, "We've been monitoring it for a few months," and give them something tangible that they can see and understand, whether or not they understand technology.

Using Atera has eliminated quite a bit of frustration, especially in our experience with everyone having to go remote as a response to COVID. A few of our clients had never done that before. It really provided a lot of comfort because they would have support whenever they needed it on various wireless networks. I've had clients that were so happy that they were able to utilize us, their remote IT support company, remotely. If they asked us, "Hey, do you know when this computer might have gone offline?" we could show those trends. We could tell them, "Here's the last user who logged in on this machine."

With COVID, one of our very large clients was able to leave their office and pick up the very next day, without hiccups. There was a lot of anxiety, especially for companies that run a call center or a customer service center. They don't want to have downtime because that reflects badly on their customer service. The fact that we were able to help this large company go fully remote, which is something they had never done, without any downtime, was amazing. We know that was successful because we had Atera.

I've worked with tools before that are locked into domains and if they aren't logged in through a VPN you can't connect. Atera is probably one of the first RMMs that I've used seamlessly on different wireless networks. For example, in my household alone I have two separate wireless networks. If one dropped, I was able to get on the other one and, once it connected, the monitoring would pop back up. That was a very new feature for me, and I've used much larger RMMs. For some of those other solutions, that situation would be a hindrance, and you would have to restart the whole machine. With this one, you end up with less downtime, which I have found to be very helpful.

Using Atera is saving me at least three hours a day, easily, because I'm not having to spend so much time on things like, "How can I access your machine? Can you log in to this one site?" and then having to talk that client through the connection process. Now, it's just, "Hey, do you have time available? Can I remote into your machine so I can show you where this is located or show you how to fix this one setting?" We like to educate our clients a little bit so they don't have to ask the same question a lot. A popular one is clearing the cookies and cache. You can send them a how-to, but sometimes they just need to see you do it. I'll jump on the remote. I love that it announces to the client, "Hey, Kim Basset is connected to your computer." I like that transparency, because I never want our clients to feel like we're spying on them. And then we walk through whatever we're we're trying to fix. And then it lets them know, "Kim Basset has disconnected from your machine." That's been very helpful in saving time. It also keeps us transparent as a company, while showing our clients that they are supported, no matter what day or time it is. It is very easy to connect. Something that might have taken 30 minutes to an hour in the past, might be an under a five-minute fix now.

It has also saved us money because of the way it scales. We had one company that went through M&A and went from about 20 machines to 150, overnight. If we were having to pay per device, even if it was $3 to $4 per device, that would add up to a lot of cost for us. We want to give our clients the best tool, but we also want to make sure that we're not having to charge them so much because they're scaling. You don't want to penalize a company for growing. That was very important for me and was the main reason I really liked Atera when I tried it two years ago. As my business has grown, my cost has stayed the same.

What is most valuable?

Recently, we've been using their Shared Script Library, which has been great for patch updates and other tips to help make transitions smoother.

One of my favorite things that I can use Atera for is giving our customers an end-of-life-cycle tech inventory for their machines that might be getting out of date or might have had a hard drive failure. If they are out of date on a Windows update, we can give them a heads-up: "Hey, FYI, you have four or five machines that aren't responding as far as updates go." Maybe it's because they've been offline. They may say, "Oh yeah, we had some that went down."

It's also great because it's a cross-platform solution. Some companies we go into are very Windows-based and we have others that are very Apple-based. It is a great cross-platform solution for us and our clients.

When they added the Terminal addition on the Mac—because the Mac has a lot of different hurdles when you're trying to add software to many machines—that really made things so much simpler.

Other valuable features include:

• The device lists they have, meaning Atera is pulling data right away, is amazing.
  • I love that I can scope it by client. That keeps things very organized and makes it easy to use.
  • In terms of the interface, you can white-label things. That is pretty great.

Another aspect is that Atera has visuals, and I'm a very visual person. I love the visual illustrations, even for each device. It shows us that its peak usage is at this time. Is there something that this specific user is doing? Does it justify them getting a more powerful machine? That is a really great example of the ease of use and of being able to take the data that it collects and translate it for our customer.

What needs improvement?

One caveat is that it's network-dependent. If our customer is having a hard time connecting to the internet, that's the only limiting factor. But that's true with any remote management system, for the most part.

In the education area, being able to scope a classroom full of iPads, instead of using Apple Configurator, would be great. Back in the day, when I worked in education, Configurator was my initial jump into remote management with the ability to scope iPads for a classroom. I would love to see that type of functionality in Atera. I would even pay a little bit more for it.

Other RMM solutions are more customizable or have more integrations. I would really love to see the tablet management and iOS management in it. I've worked with a very large RMM that is very popular. I'm even certified with them. While it isn't very cost-effective for what we needed as a company, their integrations included that iOS control and scoping. That is the next area that I would love Atera to jump into.

Also, if they had a Chromebook integration, it could help. We don't have that many clients using Chromebooks, but that is a market that would be very helpful to get into. It would help Atera expand out as well.

Another area for improvement would be the ability to have a one-screen monitoring of actual logged-in devices. If we had a client that has a classroom, being able to see all those devices in real time, like Apple Remote Desktop has, would be a cool integration.

I've been using Atera for about two years.

We haven't had any downtime with it due to Atera. We've had downtime either due to our network or a machine not responding. I have no complaints about it.

Before I became a champion of Atera, I spoke with them about a couple of things when I was first learning it, and they were super-helpful. If they didn't have an answer, they got back to me very quickly, which was great. You don't necessarily get that with other SaaS companies.

I like their documentation and their Knowledge Base. It has good breadth to it. If you were to have a hard time finding support, their Knowledge Base gives a lot of great tips and tricks within the tool. It even addresses aspects around building your business. They will say, "Hey, new MSP, we've asked our community: 'If you could go back 15 years and change something, what would it be?'" As a new business owner, that was super-helpful. That information gave me some great ideas that I hadn't thought about.

They really do keep their clients in-the-know.

The initial setup was very straightforward. They had a wizard along the way. It told us, "You've completed 10 percent of your initial setup," et cetera. That included everything from adding your logo into it, to deploying it on devices, and adding information. It was very simple and it was displayed on a sidebar until it was completed. It was one of the easiest RMMs in terms of setup. In general, the software as a service set up is very easy to walk through. I've done it in a couple of iterations from one company to another. It was just very easy to scale and to do. It always has that little pop-up that says "Hey, if you have any questions, I'm right here." That is a good support tool.

Our company is a startup. The initial reason I looked into Atera was the fact that you pay by the technician, not per-device. That means you are able to jump right in with a service without having a large overhead. That proved very helpful for us, given that we have a very small startup budget. Their service doesn't discriminate on whether a company is super-large or not so big. It allowed us to grow quickly, with many different clients, without a hiccup.

This is a really great tool and it's constantly improving. It's not just some open source RMM. Other RMMs have said to us, "Please review our product, or try it out." And I say, "Yeah, it's great, but it's not going to help me with my scalability." I feel that Atera really wants you to know they support you and your growing business. "Trust in us," is what I perceive them to be saying. For me, that's been the savior. We know that if our company is growing and we need more technicians, that's awesome. We know exactly what our cost is going to be, what our overhead is going to be, and what it can support. That is a huge piece for us as a new startup business.

I've used many RMMs in the past, throughout my career, and one thing that is great about Atera is that they have an amazing community. If there's something you're looking to do that you haven't quite learned yet with Atera, there's either another "Aterian" who is using it and who can give you some tips and tricks.

Also, it's so easy to use. With other RMMs that I've used before, it would take a week of training. I didn't need all that extra time when I jumped into Atera. I've actually trained a few people on how to use Atera, from the initial login to installing it on a machine, and monitoring a machine. For a pretty green user, someone who is a new technician or even a temporary hire, it has been very easy for me to explain how to use it. Because I have a technical background, it was definitely very easy for me to jump right on board with Atera.  However, it's very easy for other people who aren't as tech-savvy, or who haven't used an RMM before. The longest part is having them install the remote management tool that works with our screen-sharing. After making sure that the technician has that one component, they are off to the races.

It's very easy to use, not just for me, but even for people who have claimed, "I'm not very good at IT." Once you have it installed and you have it set up, it pretty much works by itself. It really helps you do what you need to do. It's easy to use for a beginner, compared to some of the other larger RMMs that are a little bit more complicated.

Even their word choice, the way they choose to label things, is very clear. With some of the RMMs that I've used in the past, trying to figure out how to connect to the machine wasn't so easy. It might be a three- or four-step process. The longest part, with Atera, is just logging in with your two-factor authentication code, if you don't have your phone nearby. Once you're in and that button pops up for connecting to a device, you click the button and then it just drives itself. It's very user-friendly in my opinion.

As far as integrations go, Atera does have an API area where you can go and try to tie it into something yourself, if they don't have it integrated already, which is cool. I've worked with two really big solutions and for that kind of functionality they say, "Oh, you have to be a premium subscriber to get access to these developer tools so that you can tie in with the API." I get it. I understand the business model in terms of making more money, but Atera is close to being as cost-effective as possible for their customers. It just takes a little bit more curiosity and tenacity to try to figure out how to create an integration if they don't have it yet. But the opportunity is there. I like to tinker. I like to try to figure out how to integrate things. There are larger RMMs that have those integrations built-in already, but Atera is growing so fast that I just have to be patient. These things are coming.

What other advice do I have?

Over time, I have let colleagues in the industry who were looking at RMMs know that Atera has a trial and have told them, "Give it a try on a few machines. Sandbox it, if you're using it for deployment, so you can see the things you can use it for." That's been very helpful for them.

You get a good, solid two weeks to try it out. That's how I got started. I didn't have to commit to something that might end up being like a brick, something that was not going to do what I needed it to do. But definitely go look through it.

Their Knowledge Base is open. Go see some of the things that they have in it. See if they have solutions to some of your common problems. That could be very helpful for a new technician. Sometimes it feels like you're as good as how well you can Google. Also, if you have any questions, Atera has communities through social media. I'm a part of quite a few MSP groups where I'll look at what the trends are and what people like and what they don't like about it.

In terms of automating processes, I've used it a little bit for onboarding and device provisioning. I am still learning the different facets that it has, but for onboarding it has been great. That's because I'm not stuck in just one platform. If I have PCs, I know the layout that I want and I can build out the profiles that I want. And I can then use Atera to push them, which is great. It's the same on the Mac side. It's true that with Mac there can be more of a dance because there are more of those little pieces, but Atera saves so much time, especially when you have clients that have specific profiles.

One piece that I am looking into more is the patch management and some of their integrations. Another thing that I've seen that has a lot of potential, something I'm still playing with, is the network discovery piece for people who are still in the office and not working remotely. It gives them an idea of what kind of devices are on their network. Should they be there? Should they not? We can use it as a diagnostic tool and say to our client, "Hey, you should only have 10 machines, but you have 15. Where are these other fives coming from?" They may say, "Oh my goodness, I'm not sure. Let's look into that." It gives us good conversation points to help keep our clients in the know, without overwhelming them to the point that they don't understand what's going on.

One thing that I'm most impressed by with Atera is how much they listen to their community to focus on more integrations. Especially when it comes to the cybersecurity realm, we have many companies using different types of antivirus solutions. Over the past year, Atera has added additional antivirus integrations. If there has been one antivirus that we've been working with most, but, over time, another one has really stepped up, Atera is already working on an integration for that because that antivirus is being used around the world. I've really enjoyed that piece.

If you see the things you need, chances are they have a developer working on it. If not, you can literally message one of their developers, and say, "Hey, it would be great if you had this," and they'll say, "That's an awesome idea. Let me work on it." In my experience with other RMMs, you're not given that type of access where your voice really is heard. If you want to feel like you're making an impact with your IT solutions, and you want to make sure that you're being heard, Atera is an excellent avenue for that.

They have their roadmap listed for you. If I'm wondering if they work with a particular antivirus, I look at their page where they talk about things that they're looking to add, and where they're looking at what the priorities are among their clients. I can see if someone has already asked that question. I can up-vote it if I would love that as well. I can give the reasons why I need it, and then they work on it. Any area that I have that I want to be improved, I can let my voice be heard.

Being able to talk with Atera is helpful because they also ask, "What are some other ones that you use?" That growth, and the way they really listen to their customers, has been amazing. I have not seen that with many IT vendors, period. They actually take into account what the customers want and they add it to their sprints. Atera is a very proactive company and that's why I enjoy using them.

James Clowes
IT Manager at Dynamic Bradview Roofing
Having fewer hardware replacements saves us in annual costs

• "There are a lot fewer hardware replacements. Once people migrated from old style hard disks over to SSDs, you have things like hard disks filling up faster. So, I run a script to clear out all the waste, e.g., all the temporary files and downloads. A lot of our business runs through a custom web application that we built. This involves people downloading a lot of PDFs and Excel files, and not just having them sitting in folders. With Atera, I can just go through and clean the temporary files out."
  • "The one thing that could do with improvement is the reporting. This is from someone who worked in an MSP, where I would want to run a report and be able to just present that to a client."

What is our primary use case?

They are providing our RMM and PSA tools, as an all-in-one solution tool for MSPs. I am internal IT, but the same concept applies.

I am an internal IT manager for a company which has about 250 staff between Australia and India. I came from an MSP, so I knew the way an MSP can help us run, e.g., how you can use different monitoring tools to cut down on management of endpoints and having to go through all those processes manually when you can just use tools to automate them.

How has it helped my organization?

There is a lack of a need for hiring additional staff because Atera does all the leg work, where you would have traditionally employed something like a Level 1 technician.

As internal IT, I only use remote monitoring management (RMM) because I have no use for contract billing tickets. A lot of our staff, being the primary points of contact, just come to me directly. They all have my mobile number and email address. I did try to have them use the help desk through Atera, but they used to just CC me on the email. I gave up on that idea. So, it is purely remote monitoring management for me, which cuts down a bit on the management of the platform for me, so I don't need to worry about the other side of it. Within the RMM set, I use pretty much everything, either on a daily basis or on an as-needed basis.

There are a lot fewer hardware replacements. Once people migrated from old style hard disks over to SSDs, you have things like hard disks filling up faster. So, I run a script to clear out all the waste, e.g., all the temporary files and downloads. A lot of our business runs through a custom web application that we built. This involves people downloading a lot of PDFs and Excel files, and not just having them sitting in folders. With Atera, I can just go through and clean the temporary files out.

I manage our entire operations. I have one staff member overseas on the ground who is a Level 1 technician in India. However, I know of other companies similar size to ours where they have IT teams in Australia with four to five staff. If you are paying everyone $80,000 dollars a year AUD and subtract four of those, that is a straight away quarter of a million dollars a year in savings from not having those extra bodies.

Patching has hands down saved us time. We do not have to worry about patching computers constantly. Any that miss their patch schedule, I can do with three clicks from the management pane in the portal. The biggest time savings is getting computers patched and keeping them up-to-date. It is one of those things that can fly under the radar in internal IT setups, where you just let Windows look after itself, but it doesn't unfortunately work that way. Going off my previous experience, I would have spent three to four hours a week patching a business of our size. Currently, I spend about 10 minutes a week.

What is most valuable?

• Automated Patchings
  • Remote Access

I use TeamViewer on Atera, which integrates with Atera, but it also comes with another remote access tool named Splashtop that is included in your monthly fee. Sometimes, TeamViewer doesn't start up with a PC or something like that. As long as the Atera agent started, I have never found Splashtop to be inaccessible. I wouldn't need more than one hand to count how many times Atera hasn't started with the PC in the last five years. I always have remote access to a PC if I'm out and about, like I am now. I can jump in on my phone. Normally, I carry an iPad with me if I am going out on weekends.

The main features that I use in terms of remote access and management of endpoints are mainly updates, scripting, and cleaning up disks. I will just run a script in the background and let it do its thing.

Scripting is something that I am setting aside more time to familiarize myself with. One example this week, I was asked by management to just see when a staff member is logging in and out of their PC, because these are remote workers and the global pandemic sent a lot of people home. The belief is that 97% to 98% of staff will perform equal to whatever they will do in the office, but there are a few who will sometimes fall a bit short. So, this is a query, "Are they actually there working?" I had a script loaded into Atera and ran it against that PC within about 30 minutes, then it just outputted all the time that they had logged in and out.

That sort of capability as an IT manager is great. Obviously, a lot of people will say, "Don't use technology to manage performance. You should be using KPIs and whatnot." But, we have found throughout COVID-19, everyone having to work from home, and repeated lockdowns here in Australia that we actually do need tools. Measuring performance is just not as simple when you're in an office, and that is why I am starting to investigate additional options within Atera to provide feedback to management.

Atera is very simple to use. The current interface is fine and usable. I have no issues with it. It is responsive, fast, and snappy. I am not left twiddling my thumbs waiting for a device just to load.

What needs improvement?

There is a new version of the interface coming out. I have been asking for a new version for a while. While the interface is nice, I guess the developer thinks one way and the user thinks another. So, I think the interface is getting a big overhaul. This is what they have mentioned in their webinars and stuff. It is in beta, but I'm not on the beta program, so I haven't seen it. I can't really complain about the old interface, but now that I have heard there is a new one coming, all I want is the new one.

The one thing that could do with improvement is the reporting. This is from someone who worked in an MSP, where I would want to run a report and be able to just present that to a client. Reports are fine for internal use, where they never leave your company. However, if I was an MSP, I would probably want a little bit more information or the ability to customize some of it without having to edit PDFs.

I have been using Atera for just over five years.

The stability has been fine. I have only had one bad experience with it. That was solved in less than 24 hours by Atera. There was a bug, where it would just keep expanding log files. The bug had occurred a month earlier, and the log files just took that long to grow before I noticed them. Fixing it was as simple as installing the latest version of the agent over the top of it.

I don't know how far you could take it as an MSP. For internal IT, you can break it out into many subcomponents or subcompanies. I use regions to manage mine, so I have an Australia region and India region. All the Australian PCs are in the Australian one and all the PCs overseas are in the India one. That is how you manage it internally. You could very easily scale up to thousands of endpoints. There will be a point where it might become harder to manage.

We do have about 250 staff in the field on iOS devices who don't realistically need an Atera agent.

We are looking at about 370 endpoints total. We have another company overseas who also uses Atera, and they have about 50 endpoints. So across three companies, I have three Atera instances, where I manage two and assist with the third. I set it all up for them, and said, "It is now your baby." They are actually a company full of developers, so endpoint management is not their thing. They look after themselves. I very rarely have to assist with anything there. In terms of ease of use, that is how good it is. You can give it to people who are not good with IT.

The technical support is great. They are pretty responsive. Being in Australia, the time zones are very off. For example, it is 4PM here. I have no idea what time it would be in the United States or Israel. While I have no idea what time it is there, I can generally get support. Normally, if I am having a problem, it's early in the morning, then I might have to wait for about 5 to 10 minutes before I can get someone on chat. I really only need to use chat support.

Occasionally, I will see something on the community groups, and I can tag their staff. This is really a great aspect of their company. They're having to own up to their shortcomings. If anyone points something out, they will say, "Yep, we're going to work to fix this." Atera's support is very professional from a technical point of view as well as for overall management of the business.

Atera has definitely reduced frustrations that we experienced before we started using it. Originally. the product was not as polished, going back five years. A lot of the years, we were crying out for certain features to get delivered or there wasn't a lot of transparency. Over the last two years, or maybe a little bit before that, they went to this rapid release model, where you get a new feature and bug fixes every three to four weeks. That responsiveness alone has kept me with the product.

There was one other aspect of their responsiveness where a lot of other vendors were really slow to the party. There was a large-scale hack in the US, where an MSP was compromised. I don't know all the details, but a junior technician had their login credentials stolen by a hacking group who logged in and encrypted a lot of governmental departments. That alone prompted Atera to enforce multi-factor authentication (MFA) on all logins. It wasn't something where you opted in; it was mandatory. A lot of people sort of resisted, and said, "I don't want that. Why should I have it, I have the company's password?" On all of the forums that we are in, I tend to answer them, saying, "If you were my MSP and I heard that you had declined this, I would drop you instantly." The fact that you are not being charged for it, it's included, and it's going to be rolled out in less than a week, that sort of responsiveness is just invaluable. That is what keeps me looped in: their responsiveness, openness, transparency, and the speed at which they can adapt to the shifting market.

The company did have SolarWinds N-able N-central. That was through an MSP. We are still partners with them, but because of the licensing costs involved in N-able N-central, we just don't want to use it. It is quite a bulky, heavy agent compared to Atera, which is half a megabyte download. The N-able N-central one was about 22 megabytes the last time that I downloaded it about a month ago. It installs like 10 different applications. Whereas, Atera installed itself and Splashtop, and Splashtop updates itself.

Sometimes a user will call up, and say, "My computer's slow." I go in, restart the N-able N-central agent, and they will say, "Oh my computer sped up." So, I'm not a big fan of it. If I had to look at alternatives, it wouldn't even be a consideration.

N-able N-central had more options for more features, but those features are also quite buggy. We never actually even used a lot of them. So, the ability to deploy Office 365 users from N-able N-central sounds great. However, in the end, it is easy just to log into Office 365 and create the user or do a virus script. A lot of the features that were being released were just not useful.

The initial setup was easy. I created an account with a trial that had instant setup. You retain all that if you move to being a paid customer, so you don't have to redo it.

Creating the account and deploying it to 100 endpoints takes maybe an hour or two. if you had no idea what you were doing. You will probably be like, "How do I set up a customer?" and, "What information do I need?" There is a logical way you have to structure any RMM tool. If you know how to do that, you will be done and live in an hour, checking patch statuses on all your endpoints.

There is an MSI that you can script to run silently. You can copy both the endpoints and load them back, if you want to. Once it is installed, it runs silently. It is lightweight, hardly using any system resources. Once you have switched that on, you are in the web interface, and then management of the endpoints is really quite simple. You don't even have to click into it because you can run plenty of management tasks directly from where you can see all your endpoints. You can run automations, scripts, and do all that sort of stuff. So, it is very simple to use.

Then deployment of the old agent was a little different from how it is now. I prefer the newer version. With the old version, you had the ability to mass deploy in a domain environment. With the new version, you get one tiny file, which is half a megabyte, and it runs silently. I just send people the link now if I need to deploy it to a PC overseas. I am like, "Here, download this and install it. Let me know when it's done." That is what they do. I just find it, assign it to the right area of Atera, jump in remotely, and start configuring.

I deployed it myself.

After the initial account creation and verification, a lot of guys from Atera reached out and said, "Will you sign up for a trial? Do you want to book some time so I can run you through it?" There was no pressure. It wasn't like a sales call where you start getting hounded by Atera, "Sign up. Sign up. Sign up." For me, that was really good because I'm not a big fan of pushy people.

We deployed it very easily. Where a lot of traditional IT teams might have someone whose sole job it is to keep things patched or cleaning up hard disks, this prevents us from hiring additional staff. So, it makes sense from a business point of view.

I have gone from getting three to five users off of a PC to five to seven years. Two extra years on hardware is a massive financial benefit to the business. If we averaged that out, we have about 120 actual desktops, not including laptops. I spend about $1,500 per desktop, so that is $150,000 every three to five years that I have now taken out. If you divide that by five, you get $30,000 a year. If you take it up to seven years, that is about $210,000 in savings.

There is another additional savings from an internal standpoint. We would normally be managed by an MSP, and now we are not, where we might have previously paid $150 per endpoint to an MSP. Five years ago, we had about 100 endpoints at $150 each. It was $15,000 a month in just management fees for just the agent, which was SolarWinds enabled at the time. All of the costs were because I had per agent licensing from SolarWinds.

A big driving factor for choosing Atera was the cost per technician. Just having to pay for myself and one other person, I am always going to come out ahead of an MSP using a per agent pricing model. The savings have been astronomical.

As an internal IT, it's gold right there. It is money in the bank.

I was recently quoted a cut down price of about $8000 a month to manage it. I pointed out, "Even at 10% of your price, I'm still 100% ahead of where you are. I pay $80." Then, they came back and said, "We can do $800." It was at that point that I realized there was some price gouging happening. I'm just not interested in if your selling point is 1000% markup. There's no competition there.

If it was even slightly more expensive, I would still be onboard. Even as it stands, I am looking to upgrade my subscription from the $80 a month package to the $130 a month package. It is still great value. That value proposition is really there.

When I came onboard, there was nothing in place internally. So, I went to the market, sought out a few products, and ended up with Atera.

I looked at NinjaRMM. I think I might have even trialed it. I definitely trialed ConnectWise. Also, I looked at Datto RMM five years ago, which was getting pretty mixed reviews. A lot of people were saying you install the world and it delivers next to nothing.

NinjaRMM was the only other solution where I took a good look. When I worked out costs per input, it just wasn't worth it internally. It just lacked too many features. It didn't look polished enough, and I was going to spend years waiting on it to be polished. Atera has come ahead in leaps and bounds since then. It has gone from being a good-looking, nice product to becoming something that is very polished. I can't wait to see the UI, which should be absolutely fantastic.

Always check the quotes from vendors. Ultimately, you need to go to the market and check all these things out. In doing so, I honestly stumbled across Atera. It was a review site that took me to their website. I thought this looked interesting. So, I had two quotes on my desk for thousands of dollars per month and this solution was $80 a month.

What other advice do I have?

It has been running for five years, so we are happy with Atera. It has a great pricing model and is a great product. It looks sharp and is responsive. It is the first tab that I open on my browser in the morning.

The best thing that you can do is start a trial, reach out to Atera, and see if they have time for a one-on-one to run you through the product. Also, ask for an extension on your trial because you get 14 days, and 14 days isn't enough to fully evaluate a major decision that will be the core background of your business.

I have done some automations in it. For example, if disks are filling up, I run a script straight away to clean up the disk. A lot of my automations are basic things like that, outside of the patching automation.

A lot of the automations are around that scripting side of things. When you set them up, I know they work very well. A lot of what I do is basic automation, patching, and disk cleanup. I also pull a couple of reports from an endpoint. That is about it.

A lot of the stuff which I really wanted has been delivered, like an SNMP template. So, you can just save one template and apply it to devices so you are not forever copying numbers and naming them. That has all been added and is being improved upon.

We use it across the board. Our three companies are all on Atera. We might be implementing the PSA model and ticketing system in one of the businesses, which is starting to grow quite rapidly. That would be the only increase in terms of usage. The only other way in which we would increase is if I needed another staff member eventually. Then, I would have to add them to my subscription, but that is not a big deal.

This solution should always come out ahead. Unless you have a client with a 100-plus seat who is demanding a dedicated resource, the value is always going to be there.

If it wasn't 10 (out of 10), I wouldn't have stuck with them for five years. If it isn't performing, you should replace it. You can't throw money against the wall, because it's kind of pointless.

Learn what your peers think about Atera. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Dave Long
Director of Development at Cage Data
Enabled us to get a better picture of what is happening across all our clients

• "Atera has saved our organization money. We look at Atera as an extra employee that we only pay about $300 a month. This is incredible savings over having to hire somebody to do all the tasks that Atera performs for us."
  • "They are working on an update, and I would like to see more stuff outside of just computers and servers. Increasingly, we need to be able to monitor and manage network devices. Atera is improving on that already, which is one place that it is currently lacking."

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed IT support company. We use Atera for ticketing, keeping track of work with our clients, and monitoring our clients' computers and devices.

How has it helped my organization?

Atera has reduced or eliminated frustrations that we experienced before we started using it. As one of the heads of the company, one of my biggest frustrations is when a client calls us about a system crashing. It hurts my reputation that I don't know about it before a client does. Atera has drastically reduced that, giving us higher insight into what is going on. It has also simplified the difficult process of managing multiple clients, jumping through a lot of different systems. We have worked very hard with Atera to make it a starting place or central point of access into a lot of different places for us.

What is most valuable?

The features that have had the most impact on our business have been their monitoring and automation tools, which are built into the product. When we first started working with Atera and rolling out their monitoring and automation tools, it enabled us to get a better picture of what is actually happening across all our clients. Before that, unless we were individually looking at computers, we really didn't know what was going on. Now, we can see issues coming up before our clients report them to us. Oftentimes, we resolve them before anybody actually notices. As an MSP, another important piece is how it increases the number of computers and devices each of our technicians can manage and support before we have to look at hiring more technicians. The automation has become another employee for us, managing a lot of stuff that now we don't have to manage individually.

It has a very good automation platform. While there are some things that I still wish it could do, it has been a solid platform overall in terms of automating updates on computers, rolling out software for customers, monitoring critical business services, and automating recovery of those services when they fail.

What needs improvement?

We are getting more into cloud services now. Therefore, I would like to be able to see and monitor cloud services for customers in stuff, like Microsoft 365.

I have been using it for about three years now.

It has been very stable for us. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times in three years that it was down for whatever reason. Most often, those have been related to Microsoft Azure outages that everybody has been dealing with.

We are managing 600 computers in Atera as well as a number of other devices. I haven't noticed an issue with scalability at all. We have close to 8,000 tickets in the system, and I have not noticed any issues with it at this point.

We are a very small MSP with three employees, all technical-focused, who use Atera daily for all our work.

In Atera, we have 45 clients and about 700 devices that we are supporting in Atera.

Their technical support is very good. I have only had the rare occasions where I have needed to use it. Usually, it has been the case, if I have needed to use it, that the technicians who I speak to are very familiar with what is going on and how to solve the issue that is going on. So, it has been a good experience.

Atera has been super gracious. They have been willing to work with other community members and me to make Atera a product that is community-driven. I have had a number of calls with the CEO and the product development teams, where they asked, "What does Atera need to do to better support our business?"

We did not use an RMM solution previously.

We evaluated a number of solutions before deciding on Atera. We did use a different PSA for ticketing, Jira Service Desk, and Atera definitely is a more intuitive platform than that.

The initial setup is very straightforward. They provide a wizard to walk us through setting up the basics of the account. They have made a lot of improvements to the platform since I set up my accounts. For example, when I started, I had to build out my own script library and monitoring library. Now, Atera has added those pieces and I can draw on what the community has built for it. So, it was very simple to set up when I started it, and it has only become easier since then.

The ease of use and user interface most certainly played a part in making our deployment of the solution quicker and helped with adoption. One of the big tasks at the time, which we had to be able to deliver on quickly, was being able to set up time sheets so we could bill out what time we spend with customers. Atera made it incredibly simple to track our time, then bill that back to the customers. That gave us a lot of options for how we set up contracts, track time, etc. Their RMM agents to install were super easy to deploy through GPO, or however we wanted to deploy them.

In total, we spent about six months rolling it out to customers. However, the initial onboarding, where we were using it as our primary platform daily, was probably within a month.

We initially focused on implementing it for managing tickets and tracking work for customers. We then rolled it out to monitor and automate customers, starting with a handful of customers. On the RMM side, we rolled it out with a couple of test customers before rolling it out across the board.

We did all the work ourselves on it, so we were able to do that as well as keep our day-to-day operations running.

Our clients are happier. When our clients are happier, they are more willing to invest more in what we are providing.

Atera has saved our organization money. We look at Atera as an extra employee that we only pay about $300 a month. This is incredible savings over having to hire somebody to do all the tasks that Atera performs for us.

We used to spend hours patching and updating client servers. That work always would have to happen after hours, and we don't have to do that work anymore. Atera does that piece for us. That is probably the biggest time savings: The hours that we would spend going through every single server that we manage and having to update them. The automation stuff that we have built on top of Atera has saved us even more hours by being able to see when users are getting locked out of computers and recover that without having to actually go to the server. We are saving tens to twenties of hours.

Atera's pricing stays fixed and predictable, enabling us to add more customers and unlimited monitored devices. We still have a number of clients who fit a break/fix IT model. This is something where clients are complaining more about having to pay extra month-by-month for technology services. With Atera's model, we don't have to be going out and asking for more from clients each month. Right now, with where we are at in terms of scale, this is very important to us.

Understand that there are pieces that have to be built onto it, such as add-on licenses. I used to work in a software startup, so I am okay if they say that they are putting out new features and some of those features are going to have add-on licensing, e.g., where it adds on an extra $50 a month for this feature. I understand that there is a cost to having new features sometimes.

We evaluated Syncro, ConnectWise, and Autotask.

The ease of use and user interface are what really initially brought us to Atera. We looked at a number of RMM platforms and PSAs. At the end of the day, they were all really complex to use. Whereas, Atera is extremely intuitive for me. It is easy to navigate through tickets and what alerts are coming up. I give Atera very high marks as far as ease of use.

With ConnectWise and Autotask, you have to pay a pretty high setup fee. At the time, Syncro was a pay per technician model versus ConnectWise and Autotask, which are both pay per device. When we looked at all of that, there was no justification. They were going to be far more expensive than Atera or Syncro, and Syncro wasn't as intuitive to use for what we needed.

In terms of available customization, ConnectWise seemed like it had the most. However, it felt like to use them that we would need to have someone dedicated to maintaining our setup, which we were not prepared to do.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very intuitive product to get in and just start pushing buttons. I would advise anybody looking to sign up with Atera to check out some of their past webinars that they have run on various topics and engage in the Atera community. One of the most valuable things from Atera is they are committed to building a community of IT professionals. There have been many times that I have relied on the expertise of that community. So, I would advise people to get plugged into that.

In terms of monitoring and managing computers and servers, it is a very solid platform. I haven't found myself wanting a lot of stuff that isn't already there.

Atera is very central to our operations, so we are always looking to expand our usage.

I would rate it as a nine out of 10.

Avi Vaserman
Owner at Sytex Ltd.
MSP
We can do configurations remotely instead of going to the client's office, saving us time and money

• "Atera saves money. A trip to the customer costs between $20 to $30. Then, you need to charge the customer $20 to $30 for the travel. However, if you are doing this work remotely, then you are not driving. This makes the process easier and saves money for you and the customer. For example, if it is just one machine, then the savings comes out to $50 to $60. If we are talking about a huge client, who has hundreds of machines and is changing their infrastructure, that is a lot of money."
  • "It will be interesting if Atera can integrate all kinds of products. In North America, there are a lot of resellers, like Ingram Micro, Tech Data, Arrow Electronics, etc. It would be amazing if Atera could integrate with these products. If they could integrate with these products for MSPs, it would be much easier. Then, if you are buying something, and need to add something, you don't need to jump from place to place because this is a very quick sales instrument for use on a daily basis."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Atera as a managing solution. I am an MSP. We provide our clients support services and protection. We are using Atera to get control on a machine, results, information, license keys, serial number information, performance on the machine, and rates of the hard drive, e.g., if it is SSD or HDD. Everything is possible to do. As well, we are running the background scripts without interrupting users. We are running the command line and PowerShell, if we require it. It seems like an easy, light tool to use.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past, people have usually locked the local administrator account. Sometimes, I have students work for me after they have done some IT college for a couple of months or a year, and they're looking for a job. I take them on as a student in the beginning to see how they perform and help them out. Once in a while, we hear of situations where a person tried to join a machine from domain and forgot to enable the local administrator or some local credentials so it can be easy to unlock the account. When people forget, you join the machine's domain, then use third-party software to unlock the password or user. In Atera, if your agent is there and the machine has been joined, you can use the command line or PowerShell to enable/disabled an account or machine. This saves me a lot of time.

Sometimes, you have to do things in front of a person. For example, some key information might need to be sent to them, which I usually send by email. If the person doesn't understand it, then you have to drive to the person and be in front of them. We do that only in extreme situations, if something really doesn't work and we need to do something. With Atera, it's much easier. You just show them what you are doing and what they have to do. If you want to transfer the file from your machine to theirs, then you can transfer in an easy, convenient way. It is pretty quick and simple.

Atera has saved us a lot of time. Our medium client is approximately 10 machines. We need to go and make sure every single agent is installed on a machine is up-to-date as well as that Chrome is up-to-date. On a weekly basis, this sometimes takes between three to five hours per machine. However, with Atera, we cut this down to 30 minutes to an hour. There is an Automated patch system, where you identify if everything is fine in event logs and working great. After that, it runs a couple of reports, gets them, reviews them, going one by one, and then goes from there. It is great.

What is most valuable?

All features are valuable because we use them on a daily basis, like remote control, file transfer, Registry configuration, delete and editing, the command line, PowerShell, the graphic of the memory in the CPU, the Patch Management system, and ticketing system. Even chat is very convenient, e.g., if you would like to connect to somebody, then you can go to the chat option, activate the chat, and start chatting with someone.

I use the IT automation for our clients, but not very often. I'm using it because:

1. It is easy and convenient.
  2. You can add scripts and do patches.

If you are using a third-party SOC application, something like EDR advanced, etc., then you need to implement some scripts on some agents. Whereas, with IT automation, it is very easy because you are just adding scripts automatically to profiles. Then, in a second, it is working.

What needs improvement?

It will be interesting if Atera can integrate all kinds of products. In North America, there are a lot of resellers, like Ingram Micro, Tech Data, Arrow Electronics, etc. It would be amazing if Atera could integrate with these products. If they could integrate with these products for MSPs, it would be much easier. Then, if you are buying something, and need to add something, you don't need to jump from place to place because this is a very quick sales instrument for use on a daily basis.

I have been using Atera for approximately three years.

Every single machine works for me as a consultant. What is important is that it is installed and working.

The stability is pretty amazing. For some reason, the solution has always worked for me without any issues or problems. Maybe during maintenance something doesn't work, but usually 24/7, it is working fine.

The scalability is great.

My company is small. There are three users: an FTE engineer, a part-time engineer, and myself (the CEO).

We are monitoring 300 endpoints.

Before Atera, I was trying to use TeamViewer, and it was completely frustrating. The main difference is functionality. TeamViewer doesn't have the functionality. TeamViewer is not a complete RMM solution, but a portion of one. It didn't have all the functionality nor was it always stable.

It is a very light product to install and configure. It gives us perfect results for what we want as an MSP and IT production company.

The initial setup is very straightforward. While I like this process, this is an area for improvement. They had tools where you could insert the username and credentials as well as find older agents in the network, then you could just push the agent to everybody. It would be awesome if this tool could come back.

The deployment is usually very quick if someone has Active Directory. However, if I am coming to somebody's place, then doing an investigation/assessment. Sometimes, I am unable to get my hands on Active Directory servers, so I am unable to implement this rule from group policy to all agents. I need to go one by one on each machine. This is why I would really like to use the tool from the past, because then it would be very quick. Usually, if a client has approved me, then we need to make sure the client is working well. For example, if the client says, "Okay, we want you guys onboard. We need the staff to implement the Atera with all scripts and IT automation." Then, that takes about 10 to 15 minutes, not more.

It is usually just me deploying Atera. If we have a new client that needs some help, I have a tech who helps me out as well to deploy it.

Instead of driving all the way down to the client, we can make them configurations from the office. It is very easy and convenient.

Atera saves money. A trip to the customer costs between $20 to $30. Then, you need to charge the customer $20 to $30 for the travel. However, if you are doing this work remotely, then you are not driving. This makes the process easier and saves money for you and the customer. For example, if it is just one machine, then the savings comes out to $50 to $60. If we are talking about a huge client, who has hundreds of machines and is changing their infrastructure, that is a lot of money.

The value of the product is perfect, neither cheap nor expensive. I think it is the right rate. It would be awesome if it continued to be the same price because it is a great solution that I like. I like it because I'm not paying per device. I have some customers on monthly contracts and some of them are on break'n fix. If I have a client who is on break'n fix, and they need to pay per agent, then I am losing money. If they were ever to change structures, going to pay-per-device model, then I would need to think about changing to something else.

I tried NinjaRMM, Datto RMM, SolarWinds, and ConnectWise. I found these solutions complex and unstable as well as more costly.

I also found that one time I called support for another solution, and I said like, "I don't understand something. Can you please explain it?" When I told them exactly what I am looking for, she's like, "Hold on. I have to ask my manager because I have no idea how to do that." Then, the manager comes back, saying, "You know what? We don't know this portion. Usually, people do not use it like this. People use it by developing some advanced feature or RMM." Then, I waited for a day or two before they came back to me, saying, "Oh, this is something for the future." They had no idea how to answer my question. There are more complex RMMs than Atera. However, when making their applications more complex, they need a knowledgeable enough team to get you answers.

What other advice do I have?

If you will not try it, you have no idea. If you have two green apples, and people say, "This apple will be sweet and a bit sour." You have to try to understand it. What exactly is sweet? What exactly is sour? It is exactly the same with RMM: You have to try it before you make a decision.

There are tons of different RMMs on the market: NinjaRMM, ConnectWise, Autotask, Datto, etc. All of them are good, but you always need to take a look where someone is using it and who likes it. You have to think, "What will be easy?" and, "How can you serve the client?" So, try, look, and see. There are people using the more expensive RMMs, paying per device, which is so expensive. It's crazy. They have no idea what they're talking about, because they have never used something like Atera. They should take a look at Atera and understand it.

It is a 10 out of 10 because it is the best, and I like it.

Chris Bashlor
IT Managed Service Provider at Principal PC Consulting, LLC
Pay just one price for unlimited devices and remote features enable easy access to all end points regardless of their location

• "We value the alerts that come with the product which allow me to reach out to my clients. Overall, Atera generates additional revenue streams for work done on their machines."
  • "The mobility of Atera is also a feature which needs to be addressed so that it can be used on iPads, iPhones and things of this nature. I would also like to see an agent included on these devices so that I can monitor, maintain and manage them."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a managed service provider so I use Atera for all my clients. I manage their machines for all types of alerts relating to all kinds of hardware issues, from memory to hard drive space. Whenever a client needs help remotely, I definitely make use of Atera.

I also use Webroot, which is integrated into Atera, for clients searching for viruses. For a number of my clients, I employ Atera Work from Home. This way, if they are working from home, they can remotely connect back to their office machines and make use of patch management. This covers my clients' needs for computer maintenance, running their patch management, and other day-to-day maintenance that is needed for both Macs and PCs.

How has it helped my organization?

When it comes to ease of use and the user interface I would give Atera a nine out of 10. The platform responsiveness to everything is solid. The updates Atera has put out have been second to none. Moreover, I find that if it wasn't for Atera, I wouldn't be gaining the number of clients I have and growing my business as I do.

Atera provides ease of access to all devices no matter where they're located. It makes no difference if the client is in a work group or if he is on a certain domain. Atera enables me to access our clients' devices with ease and to provide them with feedback across the board. It benefits both me and my clients. When it comes to pushing out anything, such as antivirus features, it's second to none.

As I'm more of a hands-on person, I visit many of my clients. Often, while visiting a client site, another client will call. With Atera, I am able to remotely handle whatever needs to be done to his machine, be it installing a printer or helping with a password.

When a client calls and needs something handled quickly, Atera is a big help. On a daily basis, it saves me time and approximately seven to 10 hours per week. Were I not always going around to all my clients, it would save me even more time.

What is most valuable?

Atera's RMM capabilities are excellent. We have definitely found the remote features of Atera to be valuable. Nowadays, this is key and it ranks among our top three with patch management. We value the alerts that come with the product which allow me to reach out to my clients. Overall, Atera generates additional revenue streams for work done on their machines.

What needs improvement?

Atera could probably add a few more features. Its mobile features could be more robust, though I am aware of the progress being made in this area in light of the additional release.

The mobility of Atera is also a feature which needs to be addressed so that it can be used on iPads, iPhones and things of this nature. I would also like to see an agent included on these devices so that I can monitor, maintain and manage them.

We have been using Atera for around three years.

The stability is outstanding. I've only run into one issue involving a maintenance window I needed and it was just a matter of bad timing. This was late in the evening while trying to do some work. For the most part, there is no downtime. Perhaps this would be the only issue worth mentioning, but again it was during a maintenance window, so it wasn't even attributable to an outage or anything else.

To me, all of the releases and updates are key. It seems that every quarter Atera is putting out new releases and updates to its platform that make it more stable and enables me to do more with the product. Again, I have not seen any stability issues.

If Atera was only releasing updates once a year or once every six months, then it would be failing to demonstrate what it is trying to do. Since Atera is releasing something every quarter, I know that it's making excellent progress and is definitely trying to be a leader among other RMM platforms.

We are currently managing around 170 end points with the product and we have plans to increase its usage on a weekly basis. I feel the scalability works for single device clients and for those who have a thousand machines. As for the scaling from small to large companies, I would have no issue placing Atera in the latter category.

I've used Atera's technical support eight to 10 times even for general questions that can be found on their portal. There has never been a situation in which I have chatted with support and not had my issue resolved. They've always been very timely.

Atera worked me through the initial setup and it was straightforward. It was very easy to navigate. It's not like with some other companies that have so many different bells and whistles that you're bouncing from page to page because it's too complex. I can compare it to how Robinhood brought raw investing to retail investors with such an easy to navigate app. I don't have to be a certified engineer to navigate the product. It allows me to feel comfortable about bringing in an intern and letting him use the console within a day or two, because I feel the product to be that user friendly.

Setting up the product took 30 minutes and the deployment varies according to the size of the client. All I need to do is to get the agent on, meaning I can send him an email, then install the product via USB or whatever the case may be. Mostly, we are talking about less than 15 minutes per device. I say this because once the agent gets installed I may ask him to reboot. Overall, the longest length of time transpires when a person remotes in for the first time. It involves installing Splashtop software in the background. Usually, this will take about three to five minutes for the first connection and that's it.

The pricing and licensing of Atera is the best part. I looked at a couple of other options, but I feel very fortunate that I came across Atera. If not for the product, it would have taken me a couple more years to be where I'm at today.

Atera charges per technician, with the option to add unlimited devices to be monitored. Being able to do this per technician is Atera's best selling point. With other platforms, a person may only need 300 end points, but have to start at 350. I would get charged an outrageous amount for these devices. Only as you add more does the price go down. This is key to getting started.

In other words, I am paying the same price whether we are talking about one machine or a million.

When evaluating how Atera stacks up against competitors and other vendors, an advantage is that the console is super easy to use and navigate, with nothing being too complex. More often than not one is dealing with a platform that already has been established, with many bells and whistles that cause you to bounce from page to page as the result of undue complexity. While in comparison, Atera just keeps putting out update after update, making the platform very easy to navigate and use.

As I had researched multiple vendors prior to using Atera, the need to reduce frustrations associated with the use of other products was not an issue for me. In the process of my research, I came across Atera and decided to give it a chance. I haven't looked back. I've had other companies reach out to me. I believe Ninja was one of these and there was also ConnectWise and SolarWinds. With the way Atera keeps doing releases and updates, there's been no need for change whatsoever

What other advice do I have?

My advice is not to waste any time. When it comes to the pricing, the sooner a person can demo Atera's platform, the sooner he'll save money.

I deploy Atera to all my clients whether or not they are covered by a plan. I do so in a USB method. It makes no difference if we are talking about a client who pays a monthly fee or one that chooses not to do a plan. In a sense, even though it appears I do charge for a plan, I really don't, because even if a client doesn't have a plan with me, I will still install Atera in case he needs it and calls me.

Annie Zuniga
Lead at Lit IT Support
I can troubleshoot problems before my client picks up the phone

• "I have better access when I go to look for something regarding either a specific user or software. It is easier to locate. When I am troubleshooting with my clients on the phone, I am not fiddling around looking through a bunch of ticket notes trying to locate something. It makes me a lot more efficient."
  • "There is definitely room for improvement with its automation capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

I provide managed IT services for a bunch of doctors. I mostly work for healthcare providers. I use it for pretty much everything IT: server management, control management, and desktop management.

How has it helped my organization?

I have automated a lot of my tickets and things that pop up. For example, if the Internet goes down, right away it will send us a text or email so we can jump on it really quick. That has been really nice.

The automation of IT processes helps us a lot with preventative maintenance. This way, we are not getting an influx of phone calls when something goes down. That is the biggest plus.

What is most valuable?

• Remote Access
  • The ticketing system

The user interface is very easy to get used to. It was pretty seamless to install the agents. We could install it off the server through GPO. It was pretty self-explanatory and easy.

I can monitor everything from alerts to computers running slowly. I can troubleshoot problems before my client has to pick up the phone and tell me, "Hey, my computer is running slow." That is a big benefit. This way, we are not bombarded with stuff. If a printer goes down, I know it before the client does. If the Internet goes down, I get an alert right away. So, it helps me head off a lot of issues.

What needs improvement?

There is definitely room for improvement with its automation capabilities. However, if you know how to write the script or create the workflows yourself, then it is excellent.

The ticket automation kind of all runs together. With the ticket automation, there are not really very many options to customize it. Because of the way that the agents are set up, there isn't a lot of customization. For instance, if you want to customize your list of statuses when you're working on tickets and have third-party people that you have to deal with, you have dispatches. We're not allowed to add any of that. It has a set amount of things and no customization. When you're automating things, you have to work around that to try and figure it out because those options just aren't there.

I have been using Atera for a little over three and a half years.

I have never had any issues with it. It has never gone down. The Remote Access server has never gone down. I personally have never had issues with it.

I haven't had to deal with technical support too often. When I have had a question about a feature or something, I have multiple ways of getting ahold of them. If it's something really fast, I email. I can call them and somebody will jump on it. It has never been troublesome or a burden.

I previously used AnyDesk, which only really offers remote access where you can install an agent on a computer. AnyDesk doesn't offer the monitoring side. So, I can't see when a computer needs updates or has high CPU usage.

I also used Pulseway, but the cost shot up when COVID-19 happened because a lot of people were working from home. Pulseway had a lot of very convenient features on it, but the cost was just getting too ridiculous.

The cheapest solution before I found Atera was a good $600 a month. When COVID happened and everybody needed remote access, it jumped up more. It was like $15 per person, so I ate that cost. People needed it, and I had to provide it and that was a lot.

With Atera, I pay $5 for my clients' remote access. If they want to remote into their computers, it is easier to keep track of and I can put that cost back to my clients. It has been very helpful.

I have used a lot of different software. While I wouldn't say it eases anything, it is definitely easier on me with the overhead.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy. Unlike other places, where you have to be onsite and install every agent, they actually offer you a free option to download the MSI. So, you can download that as well as GPO, which has been awesome because you can hit every computer without having to go and touch every single one.

The ease of use and user interface definitely played a part in making our deployment of the solution quicker as well as helping with adoption. We save time by not sending a technician or having to go onsite. All that overhead cost is eliminated. It needs one person to do setup on GPO, then it just runs.

A single deployment would take an hour or two just to make sure you have populated all the agents or devices onsite.

They offer you a variety of ways to install an agent. So, I can send a link to customers who aren't on our domain. They run it, and it runs. It really doesn't take very much time. There is no customization. The agent is installed in less than a minute.

Deployment and maintenance are done by me.

I send a GPO to hit every computer on the network. Most of them are on the domain, so it is very easy.

I have most definitely seen ROI. Because I am not paying so much for it, that puts more profit back in my pocket.

You are not paying much for it, and it has the remote agent with it. It comes with monitoring, preventative maintenance, and all that built-in so you're not using multiple types of software. Everything is all-in-one.

Atera has definitely saved us money. Per month, I am probably saving $500 to $800. For example,I was paying for TeamViewer, which is extra for monitoring and maintenance. For just TeamViewer, we were paying close to $2,000 a month. Now, I am paying $150, which is okay.

The costs have been far much better with Atera than having all those easy popping features with Pulseway, where I can just click here and a report pops up. It was a no-brainer because I can make the report myself. It is not that hard.

It saves me time with preventative maintenance. That way, I can head things off and don't have to deal with five people. I can fix the problem right away before they even call. We are saving maybe 20 hours a month because we don't have an intake of all those calls.

The pricing hasn't changed since I have used it. I can add/remove as many customers, clients, or agents as I want. There is no price change. This is very important because I am not paying for agents. Therefore, I don't have to eat the cost upfront for a customer who has 50 computers.

The pricing and licensing are always improving. Atera is open to suggestions. If you have a feature that you use in another type of software that you don't see in Atera, try it. However, the costs of this product far outweighs features that you might not have available.

Features, like antivirus, cost extra. They also offer backup solutions for an extra cost.

I also looked at TeamViewer, but that would have been too costly for just me as a user. The price was just ridiculously high.

Remote Access is valuable because other providers, like TeamViewer or AnyDesk, charge a lot per agent to be able to remote into it. With TeamViewer, I would end up paying probably $2,000 a month just to use it for the amount of clients and agents that I have.

I find myself doing small tasks, like scripts. I am trying to do that myself, where you don't need to do that with more of the big providers. However, I'm paying $150 a month, so I will do the extra work.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely try it. Give it at least a good one to two weeks. Work with the Help Desk if there is something that you aren't seeing. Chances are it is there and you are just not looking for it in the right place.

The biggest lesson learnt: Just because it is low cost doesn't mean it is low quality. I tried them out before, and I was like, "Oh, no. This isn't going to work for me." Then, I came back and tried them again. They had added so much.

I would rate this solution as 10 out of 10.

Danny Merkenhof
CTO at Apex ICT
Automatically solves issues, saves me a day per month, and scales to unlimited endpoints

• "I really like the Shared Script Library and automation tasks which they have implemented... because all the Atera users in the community can share their scripts and their automation tasks knowledge. The same goes for the Shared SNMP Template Library."
  • "The billing module has a standard layout which is too limited for my needs."

What is our primary use case?

I use Atera for managing and supporting our customers' computer environments. The use case is for remote support, monitoring, and management of their IT systems.

I am the only technician working with Atera and I manage 150 endpoints, with plans to increase this number going forward.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of the solution reducing or eliminating frustrations we experienced before we started using it, that’s not the case in my current company because we did not have a previous solution. We started directly with Atera. But if I compare how Atera helped in the companies I worked for before, Atera was able to do a lot of easy tasks automatically. A lot of frustration associated with easy requests is taken away by Atera.

We really benefit from the automation tasks. If something happens on an endpoint, the RMM platform generates an alert and you can put a script into action automatically. A lot of issues are resolved automatically through scripting and patch automation.

I definitely save time by using Atera. By taking away all the small issues and automatically remedying them I save a few hours to a full day every month.

What is most valuable?

There is nothing complicated about it. The interface is very clear, simplistic, and modern. It's intuitive.

I really like the

• Shared Script Library
  • automation tasks
  • remote software installation
  • Chocolatey and Homebrew integrated APIs
  • new Shared SNMP Template Library

If you have a good SNMP template then you can share it with the community.

What needs improvement?

The billing module has a standard layout which is too limited for my needs. I look forward to being able to customize the billing layout. They're working on that already.

I have been using Atera for around a year now.

The solution is very stable. Once in a while I read some comments in the Facebook community about minor stability issues, but I haven't experienced any of them.

It's very scalable in the number of endpoints. There's no limit to the number of devices you can manage. When it comes to features, they have a few different plans that allow for scaling functionality.

We definitely plan to increase our usage of Atera.

I have used their technical support and it's pretty decent. I haven't had any big issues, the technical difficulties were limited in scope. But their tech support is very reachable and understanding and response time is also pretty quick. It can differ from time to time, but I have never had to wait very long. They have chat support as well, and if they are available you will get a response very quickly. Contacting them via email, the response time is also acceptable.

In the beginning, for our own setup, there was a bit of configuration as to how we wanted to set up everything, but setup was very easy and straightforward. With all the customization and changing of settings, the initial setup was done within an hour, and I was still new at it.

And when we create a new customer in Atera, we attach some automation profiles to the customer and everything runs automatically. Monitoring is set up automatically, and software is installed automatically through Chocolatey or Homebrew. Basic configuration of the endpoints is also automatic. The only thing that is semi-manual is installing the agent itself on the customer’s computer. If you're in a Windows domain, you can automatically enroll the agents through group policies. If they're in a workgroup, then they have to do it manually.

The ease of use and user interface definitely help. The automatic deployment is very straightforward and very easy. I didn't hear any complaints from the users without the domain that manual setup was an issue. It's "Next, Next, Finish."

Atera saves me money on a monthly basis because my cost is a fixed price per month per technician. It doesn't matter how many computers I manage. Every computer that is added saves me money compared to other RMM solutions.

Atera is competitively priced compared to other RMM solutions. There are some integrations, like antivirus and online backup, that will increase your monthly fee. There's also a Network Discovery add-on which carries an additional fee.

Prior to Atera, I evaluated SolarWinds MSP. They have three different portals for three different functions and with Atera it's all integrated in one portal. Also, the price per endpoint was higher with SolarWinds because each additional endpoint costs the same. With Atera, the more you add, the cheaper the cost of the additional endpoints will be.

What other advice do I have?

Make use of the community. There are a lot of people ready to help with any questions that fellow Atera users may have.

The remote monitoring is good, it's not perfect, but I don't know of any solution which is perfect. And they are really busy with constantly improving it and expanding the functionality. The remote monitoring helps me be aware of issues or malfunctions before they start to be real issues. I can take action before something becomes a real problem. For example, if a hard disk is starting to degrade, I can already replace it before it completely crashes.

JL Carrillo
Network Administrator at a university with 51-200 employees
Helps to provide more durability and more understanding within a specific report

• "Atera has helped me to provide more accurate solutions based on a given problem. For example, we base our solutions on event scenarios, like the alerts. We identify that there's a series of problems occurring in a particular area from the information provided by the alerts."
  • "The chat solutions need improvement because we first need to connect to the customer. This needs to improve so that there is a particular feature that can provide support to customers even if they are not connected to a computer."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases depend on the customer's requests. We need to provide an automation script. We check for feature availability in terms of the two print automation scripts that they offer. If they don't have it then we create customized scripts.

It provides remote automation.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The ability to connect a remote via Splashtop is the most valuable feature. Implementing updated automation and the alerts are valuable as well. Those are the different valuable features that help me troubleshoot customers' problems or requests.

What needs improvement?

The chat solutions need improvement because we first need to connect to the customer. This needs to improve so that there is a particular feature in which we can provide support to customers even if they are not connected to a computer.

If I need to chat with a customer I first need to connect to a computer. I haven't tried to create a chat without connecting to a computer.

I have been using Atera for almost two years.

The stability is great. The majority of the users are now are using email. I haven't experienced any downtime.

I would rate scalability as a nine out of 10. I would take away a point for improvements. In the future, it should do more. I would like to improve the ticketing system. I used a different ticketing system before, and I think that there needs to be more detail. But I do think that it can scale with the growth of a company.

The amount of people needed for maintenance will vary depending on the instructions given to the customer but on average it takes around two to four people. One provides backup. Backup is a critical aspect for me. Another provides remote support. The remote support are the ones who provide the ability to troubleshoot a device or the customer's laptop or computer connected to Atera. They handle the tickets. And there needs to be one person who transfers or assists particular tickets.

I usually work with technical support every time I experience a problem with the Atera setup. There might be different types of people handling the support side of the Atera, so it's still a mixed rating for me. Their support depends on the issue because support will respond after several minutes. Their support can answer your query in a matter of seconds or minutes, something like that. I can usually get support within the hour.

Pricing is good for me. Atera can support everything that they need. You just have to maximize the ability of the support or the one who handles the queries.

The initial setup was straightforward. It takes around two minutes.

The deployment only requires the customer and a representative from the Atera side. For example, if I am the customer, I get the link that I need to install on my computer so that they can have particular access.

In terms of the implementation strategy, we added a particular agent installer into an email setup. I use that before sending an email to a specific customer, and then the customer will just follow the instructions via email. Once they click, it will automatically download the agent installer.

I think there are additional costs. You need to add the backup, they don't have a specific integrated backup unless you use the customer's personal backup.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Atera a nine out of ten.

Atera helps to manage a computer within the organization. Managing different kinds of computers in a specific organization will give you a mess or headaches. Atera can help you to provide more durability and more understanding within a specific report.

When they provide a particular solution, I always double-check the existing knowledge base, if it's accurate for the current scenario.