Aternity Overview

Aternity is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Digital Experience Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Nexthink: Aternity vs Nexthink

What is Aternity?

What is Aternity: Aternity, the enterprise-class Digital Experience Management company, transforms the employee experience in the digital workplace, with enterprise-scale analytics for every application, all transactions, any device, and all users. Aternity’s AI-powered visibility and self-healing control help IT optimize business application performance to improve employee productivity and customer satisfaction, mitigate the risk of IT transformation, and drive down the cost of IT operations.

Aternity is also known as Workforce APM, Aternity Frontline, Riverbed SteelCenter Aternity.

Aternity Buyer's Guide

Download the Aternity Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Aternity Customers

Maersk, SwissRe, Travis Perkins, Michelin, National Instruments, Simmons & Simmons, Lighthouse Guild

Aternity Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

IT Admin at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees

• "While it also provides desktop metrics, the main thing we use it for is monitoring our applications."
  • "Some of the dashboarding and reporting on the analytics side could be improved. I think they realize it. Obviously, some of the desktop monitoring metrics always can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Definitely plan on monitoring the application. If you're doing a lot of customer applications, you'll definitely need to have that relationship with your app teams already in place, or it's going to be very difficult. You probably need to have that plan in place before you buy a product like this. On your side, in your IT team, you need to integrate your application developer teams into the process right from the beginning. You need to have that in place. If that's not in place, it's probably not going to work well.
Director Infrastructure Applications at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides the ability to troubleshoot on the backend. The dashboards and reporting features are not user friendly.

• "The application response time. That's what our business has been having a problem with."
  • "Reports were a lot easier in the older versions"

What other advice do I have?

Have the right training upfront. That's really about it.
Learn what your peers think about Aternity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,818 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Systems/Applications Delivery Manager at a legal firm
It identifies issues on user systems. With the new version, customers lost so much control of what they can do with the product.

• "Being able to proactively identify issues on user systems."
  • "When they moved from Version 8 to Version 9, the customers lost so much control of what they could do with the product."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that needs to be managed and monitored. To really pull the value out of it, you have to use it. It's not magically going to fix everything for you. It does a lot very well, but it takes people to look at the data and to react to what the tool is telling you.
IT Project Manager at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The ability to monitor crash and health event issues at a user level is valuable. I think they need to focus more on ad-hoc and customized reporting.

• "The ability to monitor crash and health event issues at a user level"
  • "It all comes in pretty nice looking charts and things, but we have a hard time pulling out hard data, which is usually what you'll need if you're trying to be actionable."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have a well-developed plan for integrating it with your existing processes before you roll it out. Other than that, I wouldn't say much. It's pretty easy to roll out and it's really just leveraging it as effectively as possible is what I think you want to make sure you focus on.
Manager Application Support at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great at identifying trends underlying in large amounts of data.
Vice President, Infrastructure Management at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It provides unique insight and the nature of the product is dynamic.

• "The most valuable feature for me is being able to monitor the productivity of every employee in the company as well as third-party, outsourced companies that work on our behalf."
  • "I would improve the dashboard, the presentation player."

What other advice do I have?

I'm rating this solution as high as possible because of the unique insight that it provides and the dynamic nature of the product.
IT Engineer Associate at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
If we have an application that appears to be causing problems, like if users are seeing slowness, we'll go back to Aternity and look at the data.

• "The item we use the most and what upper management wants is the SLA reports. It's a good summary of how the applications are performing over time from month to month."
  • "I think the workflow needs improvement"

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you're set up correctly. In order to get the actual full view of what's going on we would recommend to deploy the agent to all of your computers instead of just some of them. The version that I've seen, the one thing it doesn't do which I don't know if it's really meant to do is that you're getting all the view from the client side but sometimes it's not possible to look on the server side at anything that's happening on that side of things. It's good to see what the users are seeing but doesn't do a great job of digging into what the problems could be on the backend. It'll kind of…
Infrastructure Design/Capacity Planning at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use it to eliminate a lot of the time generally spent troubleshooting. It provides us with more visibility.

• "All of it, but it depends on who the end user is. The folks that support the applications, like the signatures that we've developed, it gives them feedback on their application performance."
  • "Signature development process requires deep technical expertise in the application and in the use of their studio tools that help you create it."

What other advice do I have?

The first thing I would do is the application owners need to put monitoring and managing the signature set, or the monitor set, that you develop for the applications into their release process. When you do a release for an application, you need to include developing and testing the existing monitors, testing the existing monitors and fixing them if the application breaks them and if the release breaks them. You need to manage your monitors along with the application releases.
Director at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We were able to identify bottlenecks in the application code that we had.

• "Desktop monitoring, and being able to understand the performance of applications that runs on the desktop."
  • "The thing that I think most companies like ourselves would want would be an easier way to customize custom scripts."

What other advice do I have?

I think the nature of, and it's not only desktops, but people that are doing mobile development, that the industry is changing whereby the applications that are being developed today are using more and more of the local processing resources on the client. Because of that, it's important to have tools that can monitor the client performance and look at resource utilization, things such as JavaScript run locally on the client.
Infrastructure Engineer Specialist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
The Desktop Health dashboard gives you the ability to see the trend in health of all desktops in a historical view.

• "The dashboards of this platform are the most valuable, especially the Desktop Health dashboard."
  • "I would say the reporting capabilities of this product could use room for improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a 10 because of the way it is able to dive down into the application and report everything that is going wrong with a certain application functions, helping give a full view of the end user’s experience. Be sure to have a PoC done in a test environment with 100-200 users, if possible, to validate all means of the platform. This will come in handy supporting the tool as an administrator.
Programmer Analyst and DCT Coordinator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The two most valuable features for us are its abilities to validate the customer experience and ​to measure performance before and after upgrades.

• "The two most valuable features for us are its abilities to validate the customer experience and to measure performance before and after upgrades."
  • "Reliability: Issues interfering with the deployment and use of the product has made its use reduced in scope."

What other advice do I have?

Understand what it does, what it can do, what it can't do, and set realistic expectations.
IT Adminstrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees

• "The most valuable feature for us is trend analysis, particularly with device-help type of events and computer help events, such as blue screens, application errors, and application crashes."
  • "I can see the location and computer model and I can see a bunch of different attributes. But one thing I can't see is the Internet Explorer version."

What other advice do I have?

Try to get implementation correct right-off-the-bat. Try to get some training sessions scheduled with Aternity and lock them down into helping you utilize the user interface.
Senior Advisor, IT Operations at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable features for us are the ​Incident Management dashboard, Application Status dashboard, and Activity Analysis UI​.

• "The most valuable features for us are the Incident Management dashboard, Application Status dashboard, and Activity Analysis UI."
  • "The only thing I can say which has been frustrating are the Tableau workspace/dashboard options out-of-the-box, at least prior to version 8."

What other advice do I have?

Definitely ensure your internal customers/constituents are fully on board before rollout—network route and firewall issues can plague what should otherwise be a smooth deployment. Once deployment is complete you will be amazed how quickly valid, actionable data comes out of the UI.
Enterprise Performance Analyst at Helmerich & Payne
​The data collected by the agents on each end point is the most valuable feature for us.

• "The data collected by the agents on each end point is the most valuable feature for us."
  • "The dashboards and navigatability of the platform could use improvement. It often takes five or six clicks to drill down to exactly what you want to see."

What other advice do I have?

Do it. You won’t regret it. And when you do it, make sure there’s someone in-house who is excited and willing to learn the product inside and out, because you will have SUCH a better experience with implementation and analysis.
User Experience Management Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It's improved our organization by giving us visualizations and measurements of what users are often doing and by quantifying how the application is performing.

• "The user experience it provides is the most valuable feature for us."
  • "They've additionally added some great color coding, but they need to explain better and drive down further on the meanings of this workflow."

What other advice do I have?

This is the only tool we use to show us what the user is doing. It's also the quickest product for its value. I'd highly recommend the product.
Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
It allows us to offer application transaction response times to different lines of business

• "The detailed level of information you are able to get on the complete environment all of the way down to a specific machine."
  • "To monitor these transactions, you need to look at it, analyze it and capture it. It requires a little bit of work, but in an environment like ours, you need it to be easier."

What other advice do I have?

Some of the biggest things I like about the software is that it’s simple to use and you can learn it in a few hours. Something this easy to use shouldn’t be so powerful. In one hour, people can be overwhelmed with the information they can get from such a simple UI. Data analytics is a simple, easy-to-use interface.
CST at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's going to give us an easier capability for monitoring, particularly with implementation of Tableau into the dashboards.

What other advice do I have?

Aternity is end-user monitoring. It can do all kinds of monitoring. All of the other APMs are web-based. This one can do it all.
VP - Application Performance Monitoring at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to be proactive in our application monitoring, but the schema is difficult to work with when constructing custom dashboards.

Valuable Features:

Proactive application monitoring that is application-architecture independent. Advanced dashboards.

Improvements to My Organization:

The advanced dashboards allow operations teams the ability to focus on outliers. Overall reduction in mean time to repair (MTTR).

Room for Improvement:

Schema is difficult to work with when constructing custom dashboards.