Atlassian Confluence Overview

Atlassian Confluence is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Social Software. It is most often compared to Microsoft Teams: Atlassian Confluence vs Microsoft Teams

What is Atlassian Confluence?

Project management is easy with Atlassian's Confluence as your single source of truth. It integrates with JIRA so you can easily add context to your projects in one central location. Create and track issues & product requirements, publish release reports, track release progress, and more when you connect Confluence and JIRA. Confluence allows you to create, share, evolve, and capture your team's project documentation so you can collaborate better, smarter, and as a team.

Confluence also organizes your powerful repository of information, opinions, and knowledge to help you answer questions, create how-to docs, and possibly identify the next big thing. Logical and consistent management of knowledge and a powerful search engine ensure that you can always find the right content, when you need it most. Share, organize, and discover content all in one platform.

Confluence has multiple deployment options to provide the flexibility your organization needs.

Cloud is a fully hosted service for customers who want to iterate quickly and have us take care of managing the infrastructure.

For customers who need to run our applications behind their firewall, we have Server and Data Center options. Server delivers greater capacity for a larger user base and gives you more control, allowing you to remain compliant with your enterprise IT, security, IP and privacy policies. For our largest customers, Data Center provides all the capability of our Server option, along with high availability, instant scalability and performance at scale.

Atlassian also offers premium support and strategic services for enterprise customers. Technical Account Managers are cross-functional technical advisors providing proactive planning and strategic guidance across your organization. Premier Support goes above and beyond our standard offerings to give you account-wide support from a team of senior support engineers.

Atlassian Confluence is also known as Confluence.

Atlassian Confluence Buyer's Guide

Download the Atlassian Confluence Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Atlassian Confluence Customers

Facebook, Skype, Microsoft, NASA, Netflix, Adobe, Bonobos, LinkedIn, Pfizer, Citi.

Atlassian Confluence Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Atlassian Confluence pricing:
  • "For us, it's free to use. We don't pay any licensing."
  • "The issues I have with the pricing are in respect to the add-ons."
  • "When you purchase this solution you get some support."

Atlassian Confluence Reviews

David Molesworth
Delivery Lead at Cyma
Oct 1, 2020
Good notifications, great third-party add-ons and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it as a knowledge management tool for all of our consultants, which are architects.

• "The integration's very good. You still have integration with lots of third party products, and it's very good."
  • "This is kind of by design, however, the lack of control in terms of editing the page to make it look the way you want it to look is an issue. It would be nice if there was more flexibility there."

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with Atlassian. We're just customers. We're using the latest version of the solution. This solution is highly recommended. If you're looking for a product in this space, this is the best. We had another really good tool, however, we find Confluence does the same and a whole lot more. I'd say in the knowledge management space, as far as we've been doing our business, and our job is to find tools for organizations, I'm convinced that this is the top product in this space. Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. My one issue is the search…
reviewer1423197
CEO & CPO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Oct 19, 2020
Confluence is a great solution for early-stage documentation and communication.

What is our primary use case?

We mainly used Jira for backlog management within IT development landscapes. We used Confluence for early-stage documentation and communication within and across teams. Since we worked mostly with large enterprises, they typically install and host any server-based solutions on their own.

• "With respect to our experiences with Confluence, we haven't had any issues."
  • "It would be interesting if they had graphical templates that allowed typical agile ceremonies to be documented better."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. If they added the graphical templates, I would give them a higher rating. To me, as an end-user, the topical templates are pretty basic. Under the current conditions, since COVID-19, our teams have tried to become more virtual in their collaboration model. The collaboration model that we had installed before, face-to-face, couldn't be transferred, which is kind of a pity because the graphical features are missing.
Learn what your peers think about Atlassian Confluence. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Lindsay Fifield
Customer Success Manager at LogiGear Corporation
Jul 11, 2020
Great organizations capabilities, perfect for non-technical users, and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We are a remote company at this point. We use it to collaborate on different initiatives within our interior and marketing teams. It's kind of our one-stop-shop to house our collateral and sales information. It covers pretty much anything and everything we need and everything our marketing teams would need as well.

• "It's extremely intuitive."
  • "The UI is good but bland. It could be updated a bit to make it more modern and interesting to look at."

What other advice do I have?

We're Atlassian customers. I'm just the customer success manager, so I'm not on the technical or the testing side. I'm not sure which version of the solution we are on, however, I believe it to be the most up to date version that is currently available. I'd advise other organizations, if they decide to implement the solution, to really utilize it. If you plan to use it as a really strong collaborative tool, ensure that everyone using it has access to the required documents and that they utilize it on a consistent basis. I've found the most benefits from using it when I'm consistent with it…
Michael Peterson
GM Technology at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Oct 4, 2020
Easy to use out-of-the-box templates satisfy the majority of common use cases.

What is our primary use case?

Every project and every initiative we start gets a Confluence site to track artifacts that are created related to that initiative. For example, we will use it for a knowledge base and for general documentation. We collect all of our meeting minutes, action lists, and so on. It is grouped in scenarios for reference, et cetera.

• "It is easy to use."
  • "There is a good library of templates for a wide range of needs."
  • "It integrates well with other Atlassian products"
  • "The product should have a workflow with approvals out-of-the-box."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Confluence, especially for anyone that is using other Atlassian products. It is a simple, additional, license to get the solution and it integrates really well with the other products in the Atlassian family. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Confluence overall as a product as an eight-out-of-ten. I would not rate it higher because like all the Atlassian products, there are certain things I think the product should have out-of-the-box without you needing to go to the marketplace. For example, it does not have an approvals…
reviewer1431804
System Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 9, 2020
Easy to use and set up, includes Wiki software, the support is good, but the need better third-party integration

What is our primary use case?

In multiple organizations, we have been using Atlassian Confluence as a knowledge base, and for development. Our developers use it alongside Jira.

• "What I like the most is the Wiki software that comes with Atlassian Confluence."
  • "I would like to see integration with Slack."

What other advice do I have?

It really depends on what ecosystem they invest in and what they're looking for. You have to look at the use case and if you already have an application in your ecosystem which is fit for purpose, you have to ask yourself, why you want to go out and pay for another product? I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
reviewer1320141
Business Analyst at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Sep 29, 2020
A one-stop shop for all project documentation

What is our primary use case?

We have got our own private Confluence set up. In our department, we use Jira and Confluence a lot. These are our in-house go-to tools for managing the agile ways of working. We sort of follow a bit of both models: traditional and agile. We follow the traditional waterfall model outside of Confluence and Jira, so that's more like requirements, specifications, and documents. There's another team, with which I haven't been that involved, that writes user stories and allocates tasks in Jira. They use it quite heavily. We use Jira more for agile type processing, like for Kanban boards and all that… more »

• "It is just the fact that it is a one-stop shop for all project documentation. It is compared to storing things in files and directories and stuff like that. It provides the overall usability and accessibility of many projects and documents in one area."
  • "It would be good if they can continue working towards making documentation and editing as quick and easy as possible. It has got a lot of capability, but I don't know how to use it. I don't find some of the things that intuitive. Sometimes, it doesn't seem obvious to me how to use it, but it is like learning any new tool. You actually need to get trained on the tool to get maximum out of it."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Atlassian Confluence an eight out of ten. It provides everything for our use cases.
RajatSharma
RPA Business Consultant at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 27, 2019
It has tremendously improved our organisational culture

What is our primary use case?

Implementing Confluence in documenting functional specifical documents and preparing RTMs, product requirements.

What other advice do I have?

N/A.
Sebastian Lawrence
Solutions Delivery Lead at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Oct 8, 2020
Easy to create documents and charts, and the technical support is pretty good

What is our primary use case?

I used Confluence mostly for the wiki and documentation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of creating documentation, as well as charts.

What needs improvement?

Space maintenance could be made a little more user-friendly.

I have been working with Atlassian Confluence for at least six years.

There are no bugs or glitches that I'm aware of.

This product is scalable.

Atlassian technical support is pretty good.

I am currently using the cloud version, but…
See 1 more Atlassian Confluence Reviews