Atlassian Confluence Overview

Atlassian Confluence is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Knowledge Management Software. It is most often compared to Microsoft Teams: Atlassian Confluence vs Microsoft Teams

What is Atlassian Confluence?

Project management is easy with Atlassian's Confluence as your single source of truth. It integrates with JIRA so you can easily add context to your projects in one central location. Create and track issues & product requirements, publish release reports, track release progress, and more when you connect Confluence and JIRA. Confluence allows you to create, share, evolve, and capture your team's project documentation so you can collaborate better, smarter, and as a team.

Confluence also organizes your powerful repository of information, opinions, and knowledge to help you answer questions, create how-to docs, and possibly identify the next big thing. Logical and consistent management of knowledge and a powerful search engine ensure that you can always find the right content, when you need it most. Share, organize, and discover content all in one platform.

Confluence has multiple deployment options to provide the flexibility your organization needs.

Cloud is a fully hosted service for customers who want to iterate quickly and have us take care of managing the infrastructure.

For customers who need to run our applications behind their firewall, we have Server and Data Center options. Server delivers greater capacity for a larger user base and gives you more control, allowing you to remain compliant with your enterprise IT, security, IP and privacy policies. For our largest customers, Data Center provides all the capability of our Server option, along with high availability, instant scalability and performance at scale.

Atlassian also offers premium support and strategic services for enterprise customers. Technical Account Managers are cross-functional technical advisors providing proactive planning and strategic guidance across your organization. Premier Support goes above and beyond our standard offerings to give you account-wide support from a team of senior support engineers.

Atlassian Confluence is also known as Confluence.

Atlassian Confluence Buyer's Guide

Download the Atlassian Confluence Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Atlassian Confluence Customers

Facebook, Skype, Microsoft, NASA, Netflix, Adobe, Bonobos, LinkedIn, Pfizer, Citi.

Atlassian Confluence Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

RajatSharma
RPA Business Consultant at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 27, 2019
It has tremendously improved our organisational culture

What is our primary use case?

Implementing Confluence in documenting functional specifical documents and preparing RTMs, product requirements.

What other advice do I have?

N/A.
Steven Malone
Operations Support Specialist at Heartland Payment Systems
Jan 17, 2019
Improved our communication and collaboration allowing everyone relevant to the discussion to provide their feedback

What is our primary use case?

We used Confluence to coordinate products with our engineering and marketing teams. This allowed us to easily convey project details across our worldwide development and marketing teams.
Learn what your peers think about Atlassian Confluence. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,892 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user674073
Principal Writer & User Experience Design at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Mar 6, 2018
Many people enjoy its zero learning-curve

What is our primary use case?

There are two use cases for using Confluence wiki: * Team notes * Software documentation.

• "A simple tool for developers to write and record team decisions explaining the product that they are creating."
  • "Many people enjoy its zero learning-curve.​"
  • "There is no concept of peer review or a draft mode - whatever you write is live."

What other advice do I have?

Wiki is a good solution for non-tech writers. It is easy to learn and has a number of good features. The writing does not live beside the code, like GitHub Markdown does, nor does the wiki editor contain advanced editing features, like MindTouch, Oxygen, and other DITA editors. However, its simplicity encourages non-writers to document what they are doing.
it_user518616
Data Scientist at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Nov 1, 2017
Makes integration with other softwares or plugins easier

What is most valuable?

Makes integration with other softwares or plugins easier.

What needs improvement?

User interface (UI) could be improved.

Began using it in the last year.

No, we did not face issues with deployment.

No, we did not face issues with stability.

No, we did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Their customer service is good. Technical Support: A nine out of 10.

We were looking for comprehensive solution, so we tried…
Andrew Fadeev
Head of Atlassian product line at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
User
Sep 17, 2017
The service desk is very friendly and tech support quickly resolves all our problems

How has it helped my organization?

Confluence works as a trunk for our documentations and instructions, and a help centre for our telephone contact centre.

One and a half years.

No, Atlassian's documentation is very good.

No, the product works stably.

No, the product has scalability up to 2000 users.

Customer Service: Atlassian's service desk is very friendly. Technical Support: They quickly resolve all of our problems.

We used IBM Connections. It is a very…
it_user736944
Project Delivery Lead at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
Sep 14, 2017
Took us a big step forward by adding project and support documentation into one central holistic repository

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to have passion for solving problems. Atlassian has solutions, you just need to figure out which ones to apply. Also, try to keep your admin group small, don't open it up to more than a few people. Finally, start with a pilot and get it working before rolling it out to everyone.
it_user735225
Senior Enterprise Analyst Developer at a government with 10,001+ employees
Sep 12, 2017
Centralisation and searchability of documents even on a smartphone, are advantages

What other advice do I have?

* Do not install too many plugins, and choose them well, since some are heavy or broken. * Do not allow attachment uploads that are too big. * Install JavaMelody for easier monitoring‎. * PostgreSQL is a good DB choice for all Atlassian products. * Use fast HDD disk for faster search results.
it_user524307
Tech Director at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 27, 2017
One of the valuable features is Confluence and JIRA integration.

What other advice do I have?

Just do it.
it_user432606
Documentation Department Manager with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Jun 23, 2017
With this solution both developers and documentation engineers can edit manuals and share opinions.

What other advice do I have?

Ask the vendor to set up your environment if you buy Confluence.
Anthony Q. DeLoach
Program Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
May 5, 2017
Business users create business collaboration solutions and web-like interfaces.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to solve complex problems with a simple solution, then use Confluence and use it to scale to more complicated things as you grow.
it_user190806
IT Specialist at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 30, 2017
Easy way to register and access knowlegde inside the company. I like the macros for formatting, PDF, images, and so on.

What other advice do I have?

I advise to start small, then go for the whole company. We started in IT and then expanded to the company using IT as an example.
Sergio Yazyi
Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 26, 2017
Provides collaborative creation of content with version history and change tracking. Captures and provides visibility about decisions and conversations, and enables early feedback.

What other advice do I have?

Think about your needs and goals. Test-drive it with a team of people in a real scenario.
it_user101889
Mgr, IT Development - Collaboration Platforms with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 26, 2017
Valuable features include editing and creating web based content. The interface and functionality is different for those used to legacy systems.

What other advice do I have?

* Hire someone with experience using Atlassian tools, if possible * Don't implement organically * Have a PLAN for how you want your information structured
it_user264564
VMware Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 3, 2017
Provides file collaboration, editing, and approval. All of the departments need improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Be active in the development of the knowledge management features in your company.
it_user574113
Atlassian JIRA & Confluence Expert| Plugin Developer| Trainer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 27, 2017
I like the integration with different tools.

What other advice do I have?

Confluence is very easy to use and has strong search functionality.
it_user574110
Senior Technical Writer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 26, 2017
Information is kept up to date. I think that customization and text styling could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

* Definitely try before you buy to make sure it aligns with your expectation of what a collaboration system should be like. * Post any and all questions to the Confluence forum (https://answers.atlassian.com/). * Not all add-ons are available for Confluence Cloud, so customization is further limited.
it_user577887
Project Manager & Application Engineer at a tech vendor
Feb 23, 2017
It is one repository for all the information and is easily searchable.

What other advice do I have?

You should do it. It is so simple and can give so much added value rapidly.
it_user308109
Senior Development Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 23, 2017
Allows you to crowdsource the gathering of information and edit it.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product which beds itself into the enterprise very quickly. It soon becomes indispensable. It is worth getting a limited, license-free version first.
it_user342762
Business Process Designer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 23, 2017
Collaboration tool that has search, audit history, navigation, and template functionality.

What other advice do I have?

Employ lean thinking and learn by doing! Have a rough idea of what you need to achieve and get a working framework in place. Experiment and see what works for you. It is simple to move pages after the fact, so don’t worry about being too pedantic in the beginning. Keep permissions simple and use groups as much as possible.
it_user172602
Managing Partner at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Feb 23, 2017
It allows collaborative functionality across documents, meeting notes and project requirements.

What other advice do I have?

Understand the permissions. We provide a login for clients with access to certain areas. With multiple clients ensuring data security, this was huge for us.
it_user129945
Systems Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 22, 2017
Enables us to filter information on different organizational groupings. Acts as a support for different development areas.

What other advice do I have?

The product is easy to install and set up. It is also easy to work with as a user, an editor, or as a reader. Some thought should go into the allocation of spaces and the usage. There are different “types” of spaces, such as documentation team. There is also the possibility to define our own types, which we haven't exploited yet. In summary, define your use and read the documentation to see what needs to be defined in order to meet your demands.
it_user229572
Manager Ops ID Solutions at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 16, 2017
It gives near WYSIWYG editing. The low threshold to use makes it accessible for all users.

What other advice do I have?

Confluence Cloud is especially easy to get started with. With $10 a month for 10 users, it is pretty cheap. You have to keep in mind, however, that the pricing changes dramatically when the user count goes up. New users should think about what they may need later, when they start.
it_user138516
Project Manager with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 19, 2017
You can move pages around and it integrates with JIRA.

What other advice do I have?

There needs to be an owner of the installation, in terms of the system and the infrastructure.
it_user370497
Director of Operations at Armada Cloud
Reseller
Nov 30, 2016
Great tool for document control - try it for QMS
it_user229629
Business Development at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 25, 2016
Third party add-ons add more capabilities for power users.
it_user302112
Senior Consultant IT Infrastructure at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Jul 20, 2016
We're able to create and organize our self-written documentation efficiently, although it's written in, and therefore has the overhead and issues of, Java.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to run backups by dumping the database and saving the Confluence home on nightly basis.
it_user370308
Director of Client Success, Co-Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jan 22, 2016
The structure of spaces, pages and child pages allows an easy way to structure content in a way which suits our business. Search only takes you to a page, not an area of a page.
it_user323262
Technical Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 9, 2015
This became the primary location where all knowledge documents and other documentation were recorded and held, but JIRA and Confluence connectivity needs to be stabilized.
it_user204948
Senior IT Operations Manager at a recreational facilities/services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 11, 2015
Ease at which employees can curate content and people can discover meaningful and important info are valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely not just purchase and install – engage with an expert, there is a lot of power in using Confluence and you need expert guidance to use it all properly.
it_user265575
VP, Enterprise PMO at a wireless company with 51-200 employees
Jul 8, 2015
We've been able to implement a 'control center' in Confluence using JIRA integration, but reporting on content usage info and patterns is completely missing.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend you consider a managed hosting arrangement instead of on-demand, because of the limitations. I would also recommend a clear plan be developed for content structure and ownership.
it_user211962
Head of Central Applications at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 23, 2015
Far fewer office files are now sent around - the availability of information has helped our organization function better

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared that functionality of today might be changed or removed or charged separately without being asked. Bugs can be reported but are often not addressed for years. Atlassian may make major design decisions not considering their customers needs and requirements.
it_user201597
SVP Information Services at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 28, 2015
DocOps is a leading edge approach to technical content. We could not have done this without Confluence.

What other advice do I have?

Spend time figuring out the best way to maintain. Hosted vs On Premise. Also, you may need to develop new skills to install and manage the plugins.
it_user174663
Systems/Applications Specialist with 201-500 employees
Feb 19, 2015
I like that we don't need to wait until a document is 100% ready, we can start with a draft and develop in progress.

What other advice do I have?

Go fast, cheap and dirty when creating new documents and improve in progress - this tool concentrates on the sharing, arranging and collaboration part but doesn't aim too high about how the content looks like. If you are after some serious functionality such as a table of contents, body styles and track changes I would recommend using Word and attach as a doc file. Index your content in home pages and sub-home pages for better logical arrangement of the information and fast navigation. Research additional modules like Confluence Questions. You can use the spaces for team building management…
it_user165711
CEO with 51-200 employees
Nov 30, 2014
Reduces redundant communication. Working with 3rd party content can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Just do it, it will give you quick benefits and will change the overall atmosphere when doing things together in one place. Here's an example of ours:
it_user11370
Director of Operations at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees
Oct 27, 2013
Confluence 5 brings a fresh UI
Only just recently did I share our experience with migrating our internal custom KB system to Atlassian Confluence. We’ve been using it for a significant period of time, and our team are making good use of the Confluence wiki. Our team is using it for project planning, documentation, setup guides, known issues, bug tracking, reports and more. I also personally run my own starter edition wiki for my own personal use, plus I can generally trial new plugins and new releases quicker on my own personal wiki. I also recently wrote an article about the Evernote plugin and during my research I was aware that Confluence 5 was close to being released. Then just recently I got an email from Atlassian announcing the release of Confluence 5, I quickly added a task to get my…
it_user11370
Director of Operations at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees
Oct 14, 2013
Our shift to Confluence
For a long, long, long, long, long time Crucial has operated a custom made web based internal knowledge base / documentation area which has fallen well out of date. Though web based and coded in PHP we have since out grown its simplicity. Our team regularly felt the pain of trying to locate, update or add information. Finally we hit a point where we had to take action, so we put the word out to our team to come up with some possible third party options to replace our internal kb area. We received replies with a number of suitable options. Atlassian Confluence TikiWiki KBPublisher BrainKeeper MindTouch At this point we realized that we really needed to sit down and come up with our requirements. We could then use the requirements to help compare the solutions and make a…
it_user9330
Owner at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Sep 11, 2013
Confluence and Salesforce Chatter
I use Confluence for sales support as an extranet, where I publish pages that can be viewed by anonymous users. Sometimes with permissioning to specific sets of customers. They don t need to have individual logins. A collective login and password may be enough. If I want to interact with them relative to a specific content (means, it s a content-centric interaction), then I ask them to use comments on Confluence. If the interactions are related to some opportunity or pre-sale, then I call them to interact on Salesforce Chatter. Now, although I haven t experimented yet, I believe that a great integration would be to publish Salesforce reports on a Confluence page, so that users of the reports don t need individual SF licences and can view them (and comment them) on Confluence. Does it…
it_user9318
Content Developer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 10, 2013
Confluence vs. Blackboard Learn
Both Confluence and Blackboard Learn have the capability to utilize wikis for instruction. Depending on the features you need, one may be better for your course than the other. Wikis in Blackboard Learn have a direct tie in to all of blackboard’s features, especially the grade book. However Confluence has a greater overall feature set, thereby making it a much more powerful wiki tool. Below is a wiki comparative grid between these two applications. Features Confluence Blackboard Learn wiki Viewable to Public Yes, if wanted No (only to individual classes) Content hierarchy control Yes No Wiki lifespan Beyond life of course Only life of course Individual user access control Yes Yes,…
it_user2544
Developer at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 20, 2013
Decent Wiki Functionality, Awful Search

What other advice do I have?

Overall it's a fine tool, but I don't think it provides a whole lot of advantages over other similar options. We use it primarily because we also use JIRA, and working with one vendor makes things easier.
it_user2832
Customer Communication Specialist at a media company with 51-200 employees
Nov 22, 2012
Easy to use, but tough time importing Word.