Atlassian Confluence OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Atlassian Confluence is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Knowledge Management Software. It is most often compared to Microsoft Teams: Atlassian Confluence vs Microsoft Teams

What is Atlassian Confluence?

Project management is easy with Atlassian's Confluence as your single source of truth. It integrates with JIRA so you can easily add context to your projects in one central location. Create and track issues & product requirements, publish release reports, track release progress, and more when you connect Confluence and JIRA. Confluence allows you to create, share, evolve, and capture your team's project documentation so you can collaborate better, smarter, and as a team.

Confluence also organizes your powerful repository of information, opinions, and knowledge to help you answer questions, create how-to docs, and possibly identify the next big thing. Logical and consistent management of knowledge and a powerful search engine ensure that you can always find the right content, when you need it most. Share, organize, and discover content all in one platform.

Confluence has multiple deployment options to provide the flexibility your organization needs.

Cloud is a fully hosted service for customers who want to iterate quickly and have us take care of managing the infrastructure.

For customers who need to run our applications behind their firewall, we have Server and Data Center options. Server delivers greater capacity for a larger user base and gives you more control, allowing you to remain compliant with your enterprise IT, security, IP and privacy policies. For our largest customers, Data Center provides all the capability of our Server option, along with high availability, instant scalability and performance at scale.

Atlassian also offers premium support and strategic services for enterprise customers. Technical Account Managers are cross-functional technical advisors providing proactive planning and strategic guidance across your organization. Premier Support goes above and beyond our standard offerings to give you account-wide support from a team of senior support engineers.

Atlassian Confluence is also known as Confluence.

Atlassian Confluence Buyer's Guide

Download the Atlassian Confluence Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Atlassian Confluence Customers

Facebook, Skype, Microsoft, NASA, Netflix, Adobe, Bonobos, LinkedIn, Pfizer, Citi.

Atlassian Confluence Video

Archived Atlassian Confluence Reviews (more than two years old)

RajatSharma
RPA Business Consultant at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
It has tremendously improved our organisational culture

What is our primary use case?

Implementing Confluence in documenting functional specifical documents and preparing RTMs, product requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

It has tremendously improved our organisational culture, as it is a more streamlined way of handling customer issues/responses/queries and for documenting.

What is most valuable?

Integration with JIRA, draw.io, Creately, and other mockups tools is a boon to Confluence's usage in handling complex problems.

What needs improvement?

Confluence textual editor could be improved and integrated with MS Word for easy usage and better formatting of documents.

Still implementing.

It is indeed a stable and error-free application, as it is a mature application running for decades.

It can be easily scaled up to different levels if used wisely.

Quick support with an easy resolution.

Straightforward.

N/A.

• It's easy to set up, as it gives a quick guide for the same process.
  • Costing and pricing may vary depending on usage.

N/A.

What other advice do I have?

N/A.

Steven Malone
Operations Support Specialist at Heartland Payment Systems
Improved our communication and collaboration allowing everyone relevant to the discussion to provide their feedback

What is our primary use case?

We used Confluence to coordinate products with our engineering and marketing teams. This allowed us to easily convey project details across our worldwide development and marketing teams.

How has it helped my organization?

Confluence improved our communication and collaboration allowing everyone relevant to the discussion to provide their feedback while allowing managers to easily sift through the conversation to make strategic decisions.

What is most valuable?

The ability to customize fields to allow for both qualitative and quantitative data discussions allowed us to back up our "gut feelings" with data collected from the industry and our customers.

What needs improvement?

We let some data fields get out of control as well as some product submissions, so some type of mass maintenance capability to easily reset or restart the system without losing all configuration options would be helpful.

More than five years.
Learn what your peers think about Atlassian Confluence. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Principal Writer & User Experience Design at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Many people enjoy its zero learning-curve

• "A simple tool for developers to write and record team decisions explaining the product that they are creating."
  • "Many people enjoy its zero learning-curve.​"
  • "There is no concept of peer review or a draft mode - whatever you write is live."

What is our primary use case?

There are two use cases for using Confluence wiki:

• Team notes
  • Software documentation.

How has it helped my organization?

Wiki is a simple tool for developers to write and record team decisions explaining the product that they are creating.

What is most valuable?

The best features are the following:

• Automated TOC
  • Horizontal tabbing option
  • Expanding drop down lists
  • Easy image integration
  • Access to the underlying HTML
  • The list of macros in the drop down.

What needs improvement?

There is no concept of peer review or a draft mode - whatever you write is live. What typically happens is that the navigation bar becomes frighteningly large and difficult to read unless someone takes the reigns and curbs the knee jerk reaction to keep creating new branches in wiki's hierarchical tree.

More than five years.

No issues.

No issues.

Never tried to contact them. There is a lot of info on the web about Confluence wiki if you need help.

Wiki has been used for a long time at my company. Many people enjoy its zero learning-curve.

In-house.

What other advice do I have?

Wiki is a good solution for non-tech writers. It is easy to learn and has a number of good features. The writing does not live beside the code, like GitHub Markdown does, nor does the wiki editor contain advanced editing features, like MindTouch, Oxygen, and other DITA editors. However, its simplicity encourages non-writers to document what they are doing.

Data Scientist at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Makes integration with other softwares or plugins easier

What is most valuable?

Makes integration with other softwares or plugins easier.

What needs improvement?

User interface (UI) could be improved.

Began using it in the last year.

No, we did not face issues with deployment.

No, we did not face issues with stability.

No, we did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Their customer service is good. Technical Support: A nine out of 10.

We were looking for comprehensive solution, so we tried…

What is most valuable?

Makes integration with other softwares or plugins easier.

What needs improvement?

User interface (UI) could be improved.

Began using it in the last year.

No, we did not face issues with deployment.

No, we did not face issues with stability.

No, we did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Their customer service is good.

A nine out of 10.

We were looking for comprehensive solution, so we tried Confluence.

We implemented the solution in-house. It was implemented with limited expertise.

No. We did not evaluate other options.

Andrew Fadeev
Head of Atlassian product line at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
User
The service desk is very friendly and tech support quickly resolves all our problems

How has it helped my organization?

Confluence works as a trunk for our documentations and instructions, and a help centre for our telephone contact centre.

One and a half years.

No, Atlassian's documentation is very good.

No, the product works stably.

No, the product has scalability up to 2000 users.

Customer Service: Atlassian's service desk is very friendly. Technical Support: They quickly resolve all of our problems.

We used IBM Connections. It is a very…

One and a half years.

No, Atlassian's documentation is very good.

No, the product works stably.

No, the product has scalability up to 2000 users.

Atlassian's service desk is very friendly.

They quickly resolve all of our problems.

We used IBM Connections. It is a very interesting solution, but Confluence is more flexible (maybe because it has many add-ons in its ecosystem).

Some of our installation work was "from the box", when the business requirement was standard. If the business requirement wasn't standard, we customized Confluence and added add-ons to it.

Atlassian has powerful documentation, and even a weak sysadmin could implement Confluence.

Pricing and licensing is friendly, but every year the price increases 5-10%.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Our company is a Gold Solution Partner.
it_user736944
Project Delivery Lead at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
Took us a big step forward by adding project and support documentation into one central holistic repository

What is most valuable?

The flexibility, well-rounded features, and capabilities to support the different needs of the organization.

How has it helped my organization?

JIRA has allowed my organization to aggregate our entire portfolio into one system and to eliminate five other disparate solutions.

The addition of Confluence allowed us to take the aggregation a big step forward by adding project and support documentation into one central holistic repository.

What needs improvement?

There are certain features, like AD FS and workflows, that don't appear to be mature enough for Enterprise use.

JIRA and Confluence (latest): Two years.

We started on cloud and moved to server. This caused some big errors with database issues and macros not working due to leftover items from the cloud. I recommend the server version overall. It is more fully-featured and scalable.

We ostensibly moved from cloud to server, because of functionality not being available on cloud, but also because there are storage limits that don't support enterprise level usage on the cloud.

Atlassian technical support is responsive in terms of communication, but is slow to address issues. You often have to constantly advocate for your needs to get them addressed or triaged.

Our organization had many different solutions for PPM. We switched to Atlassian to consolidate our PPM as well as to support the introduction of Agile into the organization.

You should initially use consulting to make good decisions about architecting this product. Also, designating at least two SMEs to be dedicated to the setup and enhancements is key.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to have passion for solving problems. Atlassian has solutions, you just need to figure out which ones to apply. Also, try to keep your admin group small, don't open it up to more than a few people. Finally, start with a pilot and get it working before rolling it out to everyone.

it_user735225
Senior Enterprise Analyst Developer at a government with 10,001+ employees
Centralisation and searchability of documents even on a smartphone, are advantages

What is most valuable?

Availability of documents hosted in confluence very easily. You only need a browser, so even on a smartphone it is available.

How has it helped my organization?

Centralisation of knowledge, easily searchable.

What needs improvement?

Being robust when dealing with complex pages, eating too much CPU, badly designed plugins.

Nine years.

Yes, if users upload/convert from complex Office documents or upload too many attachments.

Not yet.

It depends on the issue and the support agent handling the case. Sometimes it is super good, sometimes super lame.

No previous wiki solution.

Initial setup is easy‎. The Atlassian documentation is good. Just make sure to read the requirements description.

No advice, pricing is publicly available.

What other advice do I have?

• Do not install too many plugins, and choose them well, since some are heavy or broken.
  • Do not allow attachment uploads that are too big.
  • Install JavaMelody for easier monitoring‎.
  • PostgreSQL is a good DB choice for all Atlassian products.
  • Use fast HDD disk for faster search results.
it_user524307
Tech Director at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
One of the valuable features is Confluence and JIRA integration.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is Confluence and JIRA integration. The most valuable integration feature between JIRA and Confluence was being able to easily link Jira tickets to Confluence pages and vice-versa. They felt quite seamless. This reduced work friction, and prevented jumping between systems. It is simple, but very useful. The more integration the better, such as the integration with Slack.

How has it helped my organization?

The tool improved team collaboration around a usable source of truth.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in licensing so I’m not paying for inactive users. Basically, I’d like the “system” to count unique active users for the past month and only charge me for those, rather than me manually assigning licenses to users. That user management/subscriptions management was a bit painful, especially in larger environments.

We have been using this solution on and off for five years.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is very good.

We used SharePoint and Wikis. They were hard work and had poor integration.

The initial setup was easy. We used SaaS.

Slowly release to users and add subscriptions. Keep on top of subscribers and remove idle/inactive users.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Just do it.

it_user432606
Documentation Department Manager with 10,001+ employees
MSP
With this solution both developers and documentation engineers can edit manuals and share opinions.

What is most valuable?

Editing is convenient. We often have to edit manuals for different projects of the same software. These projects have only small differences in features.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past, only documentation engineers could edit the software manuals. Now, both developers and documentation engineers can edit manuals and share opinions.

What needs improvement?

It is not as professional as FrameMaker. Confluence is light and very convenient, but it is difficult to reuse the same content and its format is not as flexible as FrameMaker.

We have been using the solution for three years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability but we have not been using it as often as FrameMaker.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

We seldom used the technical support.

The setup is more complex and the developers helped to set up the environment.

Confluence is convenient and cheaper but not so professional. FrameMaker is for documentation departments in a large company and Confluence is for small teams or companies.

What other advice do I have?

Ask the vendor to set up your environment if you buy Confluence.

Anthony Q. DeLoach
Program Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
Business users create business collaboration solutions and web-like interfaces.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to create business collaboration solutions without having an army of IT professionals. We can create web-like interfaces without needing to be an expert in Java, Java scripts, or HTML.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the tool to establish a collaboration space across federal agencies, state agencies, and other public stakeholders. We are able to create a simple workflow and have an electronic record of those activities.

What needs improvement?

The basic improvement needed from my perspective (and it may be more to do with how Office of Management and Budget (OMB) has allowed certain features of Confluence to be used) is the ability to move multiple attachments at a time. I would like to be able to copy a set of pages in Confluence as a template. It would be nice to have better business collaboration examples.

We have used this product for five years.

We had stability issues sometimes, but I am not quite sure where those issues occurred. I don’t know if slowness is occurring on the OMB server end or on my organization's end in terms of network transfer of information. Sometimes the system does not respond as fast as a normal web interface. I am happy, overall, because I understand the power of the collaboration efforts being done. However, I think most people are used to one-way communication when it comes to the internet and they expect the same speed when collaborating from a two-way (or more )perspective.

The system has incredible scalability. I have not used all of the features that OMB provides, but we have an integrated system with:

• Collaboration & Information Sharing
  • Workflow
  • Web Frameworks
  • Common Database
  • Identity and Provisioning

I don’t interact with Atalssian directly, but rather through OMB who interacts with Atalssian. OMB is my technical contact and in terms of my use of the system they are fairly responsive. The system is a federal-wide system, in which participating federal agencies pay a fee ($50-200K) to be a member and use it as a shared service. When there are special initiatives, a federal agency may have to pay a little more. When I say a little more, I mean a little more, not huge amounts of money.

I used previous systems, such as email, common spaces, CDs, snail mail, and lately, SharePoint (we are still using this as well). These are all painful, unsecure systems and require an IT army.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated SharePoint.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to solve complex problems with a simple solution, then use Confluence and use it to scale to more complicated things as you grow.

IT Specialist at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy way to register and access knowlegde inside the company. I like the macros for formatting, PDF, images, and so on.

What is most valuable?

I like the macros (formatting, PDF, images, etc.), tags, tables (with autonumber), @user for citing another user, comments, and the access control in content using groups and users.

How has it helped my organization?

Meetings are registered in Confluence, allowing easy access on what had been discussed and the to-do lists. Information, knowledge and users of many areas are integrated in one place.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the ability for each user to config his own home page,

We’ve been using Confluence for 3 years.

We rarely encountered issues with stability. But when it happens, generally Atlassian is pro-active and send infos about any issues encountered and how it's beeing handle by support team.

No issues with scalability.

I have never used technical support.

I never used a different solution.

Initial setup was kind of straightforward. We learned how to use it as the issues/necessities appeared.

It´s affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I advise to start small, then go for the whole company. We started in IT and then expanded to the company using IT as an example.

Sergio Yazyi
Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides collaborative creation of content with version history and change tracking. Captures and provides visibility about decisions and conversations, and enables early feedback.

What is most valuable?

The following features are valuable:

• The Wiki nature of the product: Collaborative creation of content with version history and easy change tracking.
  • Knowledge sharing: Captures and provides visibility on decisions and conversations, enables early feedback, fosters situational awareness (watchers, notifications, comments, dashboard, etc.).
  • Connects people through content and fosters a collaboration culture.
  • Easy learning curve and powerful search through content.
  • The cloud version accelerates the adoption of product improvements.

How has it helped my organization?

This has helped our organization in the following ways:

• Enables conversations and meeting outcomes to be visible and evolve faster.
  • Opens collaboration and empowers everybody to contribute in knowledge construction.
  • Accelerates the learning curve of new hires by giving them a platform for self-learning and understanding conversation dynamics.
  • Helps groups do asynchronous work, reducing meetings overload, and improving productivity.
  • Enables distributed teams to have a common virtual place for knowledge sharing and history.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the solution do the following:

• Provide analytics on content usage to help foster adoption. Currently, the statistics have to be requested and are very basic in the cloud version.
  • Help in the organization of the content (i.e., help identify "dead nodes", build different perspectives and categorization automatically with a type of page mapping and navigation other than a hierarchical tree.)
  • Improve concurrent collaborative editing. (A relatively new feature has already been proven and is evolving in other products such as Google Docs and Microsoft Office Online.)
  • Help in the consumption of updates according to personalized interest.

I have been using this solution since 2012 in different implementations, settings, and versions. I have been using it with the cloud version since 2015.

In the past maintenance windows could create some availability issues if overlapping with activity periods, but they have been consistently improving performance. You can experience slow response times, images not updated properly, sometimes unavailability messages. A status page is provided to monitor ondemand server ( http://bit.ly/ondemand-status ). Additionally setting the server time zone properly can also help avoid interference with your peak hours of activity ( http://bit.ly/ondemand-mainten... )

We have not had any scalability issues.

The technical support is very good.

I have used MediaWiki and SharePoint before.

In comparison with MediaWiki, Confluence is easy to use, more user-friendly, and is rich with social/collaboration features. It has a relatively low cost, and integrates better with other Atlassian tools such as JIRA, Bitbucket, and Bamboo.

In comparison with SharePoint, Confluence has a Wiki native design and social features, so it’s easy to collaborate on content creation. I like to compare it to a "whiteboard", whereas SharePoint feels more like a "library". Although SharePoint has improved a lot in the last few years, its pattern of use are still more like a "repository", rather than "collaborative editing".

Google Docs is the king of collaborative editing, but Confluence enables better structure for a team, with knowledge-centered design.

The installation was straightforward. It was easy to start, easy to setup with low administration involvement, as long as you have an "open by default" policy around content.

Complexity comes into play to drive evolution, content curation, usage, and adoption analytics. When you don’t have enough information on usage easily available, setting up some guidelines can help drive consistent patterns of usage. You need people to help guide that process and keep the organization of the content coherent.

Pricing and licensing are also straightforward. Keep an eye on plugins and additions that should be balanced with the benefits and usage patterns they provide.

We looked into MediaWiki, SharePoint, and Jive.

What other advice do I have?

Think about your needs and goals. Test-drive it with a team of people in a real scenario.

Mgr, IT Development - Collaboration Platforms with 501-1,000 employees
Valuable features include editing and creating web based content. The interface and functionality is different for those used to legacy systems.

What is most valuable?

• Quick and easy editing/creating of web based content
  • Content is easy to format and easy to share: You simply type and save in a web browser
  • Atlassian is an AWESOME company
  • Confluence is the BEST wiki on the market

How has it helped my organization?

• It gives our company a single place to document run books, procedures, and knowledge base articles
  • It's quick and easy to edit
  • It seamlessly integrates with other tools we use, like JIRA

What needs improvement?

• Some versions have annoying bugs from time to time. Doesn't all software?
  • The interface and functionality is different for users used to legacy content management systems like SharePoint. However, spending a few minutes with Confluence and its intuitive interface will have them creating content quickly.

I also manage a SharePoint team, so I'm not biased. It’s just my opinion based on what I see.

I've used and administered Confluence for the past three years, over five versions. I am about to upgrade to the sixth version.

With earlier versions, such as 5.4.4, we did have stability issues. After upgrading, we've been stable and fast.

Stability issues were caused by an increased user load, i.e., scalability.

Technical support gets a rating of 5/5. We pay for Premier support. It covers ALL Atlassian products. If these products are in any way important to your company, it's worth the cost.

We were using TWiki. We needed an enterprise ready tool instead of freeware.

The setup was straightforward and perfectly documented. Atlassian gives you a step-by-step guide. You would expect nothing less from a documentation platform.

Atlassian is dirt cheap when it comes to enterprise software. I would suggest limiting the number of plugins (a.k.a., add-ons), as they are an extra cost and many times you're dealing with third-party vendors.

At the very least, use the ones that say "Atlassian Verified" and "Supported".

We did not evaluate anything else that I know of.

What other advice do I have?

• Hire someone with experience using Atlassian tools, if possible
  • Don't implement organically
  • Have a PLAN for how you want your information structured
VMware Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Provides file collaboration, editing, and approval. All of the departments need improvement.

What is most valuable?

• Provides wiki features such as file collaboration.
  • Allows us to get feedback from user to approve or edit the documents we create and use daily.
  • Allows employees to share relevant information within internal Confluence spaces.
  • Allows developers to organize their specifications and record their design decisions.

How has it helped my organization?

We can share solutions for various problems between people who work in the company. The next logical step is to use Confluence to manage support documentation. Documentation is a focus of our company for development.

What needs improvement?

All of the departments need improvement.

I’ve been using this tool for two years.

We have not had any stability issues.

We have not had any scalability issues.

Technical support is good.

We were using Microsoft SharePoint. We switched because it didn't have wiki features.

The setup was easy.

We looked at SharePoint.

What other advice do I have?

Be active in the development of the knowledge management features in your company.

it_user574113
Atlassian JIRA & Confluence Expert| Plugin Developer| Trainer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
I like the integration with different tools.

What is most valuable?

• Document management
  • Knowledge base
  • Team collaboration
  • Security
  • User management
  • Integration with different tools

How has it helped my organization?

• Avoids the need for document versioning
  • Centralizes document access
  • Provides easy access
  • Has an easy search facility
  • Allows you to store all documents in one place
  • Enables you to share documents
  • Allows you to publish articles

What needs improvement?

• Bulk editing of documents
  • Reports
  • Content sharing
  • Document publishing

I have used it for over three years.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter many scalability issues.

I would give them a rating of 7/10. The technical support was helpful.

The initial setup was fine. More memory may be required, depending upon the size of the attachments.

Pricing is provided on the Atlassian site. You can choose the license depending upon the number of users.

We evaluated SharePoint, XWiki, and MediaWiki.

What other advice do I have?

Confluence is very easy to use and has strong search functionality.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a reseller.
it_user574110
Senior Technical Writer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Information is kept up to date. I think that customization and text styling could be improved.

What is most valuable?

I appreciate:

• Web access.
  • Collaboration.
  • Export to PDF.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our organization as follows:

• Information is kept up to date.
  • Accessible anywhere.
  • Editable by everyone.
  • Secure.
  • Exportable.

What needs improvement?

I think that customization and text styling could be improved.

I have used it for 2.5 years.

I have not had any stability issues.

I have not had any scalability issues.

I would give them 8 out of 10. But first and second level support are email only!

We did not use a previous solution.

Initial setup with the cloud version is super easy but the server is only slightly more complex depending on your firewall, SSO, etc.

Licensing is in blocks of seats, so you need to decide what the maximum number of users might be before pricing it out. There is the option of anonymous users, which, while a security issue, does reduce the licensing cost.

We have evaluated MediaWiki, Kentico, SharePoint and WordPress.

What other advice do I have?

• Definitely try before you buy to make sure it aligns with your expectation of what a collaboration system should be like.
  • Post any and all questions to the Confluence forum (https://answers.atlassian.com/).
  • Not all add-ons are available for Confluence Cloud, so customization is further limited.

it_user577887
Project Manager & Application Engineer at a tech vendor
It is one repository for all the information and is easily searchable.

What is most valuable?

It is easy and simple to implement. Some of the valuable features are its ability to customize via add-ons and the collaborative environment.

How has it helped my organization?

For many of my clients, we use Confluence as a shared collaborative knowledge management tool. It helps them as it is one repository for all the information and is easily searchable .

What needs improvement?

Rich text could always be better but it is nice to have.

I have used this product for two years.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues, i.e., if you have enough IT resources.

I would give the technical support a 8/10 rating.

My customers were previously using a different solution. The reason they switched is because Confluence is a simple wiki-based solution, compared to the other wiki tools.

The setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

You should do it. It is so simple and can give so much added value rapidly.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Atlassian business partners.
it_user308109
Senior Development Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows you to crowdsource the gathering of information and edit it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the collaboration and sharing of information.
The ability to crowdsource the gathering of information and have anyone edit and correct it instantly.

How has it helped my organization?

Quite simply, information is king. We have been able to share effectively and reduce our reliance on the usual Word docs and shared drives.

What needs improvement?

The WYSIWYG editor is great, but there are some problems with formatting. Tables and fonts are not always rendered correctly, especially when CCS is used to customize them. It is useful to understand Wiki Markup language to get around these problems.

The use of CSS can be a challenge, making customization difficult for new starters who have little experience of creating/editing CSS.

We have used this solution since the very early versions created in 2003 (or thereabouts).

There have been no major stability issues. There have been a few outages, but nothing which suggests that the product/version is inherently unstable.

I’m not aware of any scalability issues, but then I’m a “user” of the service and I no longer run an instance.

My questions have always been around the use of the product. It’s more effective to ask the community via the on-line forum, or to reach out via other websites. In most cases, a general search for answers via Google tends to provide answers.

I’ve played with MediaWiki, but not in detail and therefore I can’t compare it with Confluence.

I installed version 4 from scratch. That was very straightforward. I connected it to Postgres (PostgreSQL), and that was trouble free and straightforward.

I haven't had the need to install more recent versions or manage installations that service a large number of concurrent users.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product which beds itself into the enterprise very quickly. It soon becomes indispensable. It is worth getting a limited, license-free version first.

it_user342762
Business Process Designer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Collaboration tool that has search, audit history, navigation, and template functionality.

What is most valuable?

• Search: It is simple to search for documentation throughout Confluence from the search bar.
  • Audit History: Collaboration is brilliant with a full audit history on the changes made by the users involved, as well as the ability to visually compare the differences.
  • Simple Navigation: It is simple to create or edit a page with a similar look and feel to any word processor-type app.
  • Templates: Used for standardizing and guiding users regarding what type of information should be captured within different spaces or page structures.
  • Action Items: Makes it quick to set reminders for yourself or another user, with a due date for the required activity.

How has it helped my organization?

• It has improved collaboration, transparency, and documentation quality among teams.
  • It has started us on the journey of knowledge management, not leaving valuable IP in peoples’ heads.
  • It has enabled us to publish ubiquitous language and link standard definitions to words used in documents.
  • It has enabled us to link templates to JIRA workflows in the management of our business processes.
  • It has drastically improved the discipline around meetings and arising actions.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the following improvements:

• When comparing page changes, you are only able to select 2 pages. While this is useful, it has proven to be a slight limitation when many people are editing a document. Having said this, we work around it by selecting the last “approved version” and the latest version. The downside is that we are unable to then see who made the change and when they made it without going to that specific history version are comparing it to the version just prior to it.
  • Page approval: there is a feature whereby you are able to require page approval, but it can only be applied at a space level (with the ability to apply certain exclusions). The exclusion capability is not intuitive and therefore does not always work as expected. In addition, there is usually a specific parent and child set within a space that we would want to set approval requirements on. The approval plugin also keeps adding “Unapproved” blocks to the top of the page whenever an edit occurs. These continue to build up despite the fact that there has not been a status change (i.e. the page has not yet been approved, so one “Unapproved” block would be sufficient).

I have used Confluence for approximately three years.

We had an issue where the activity feed stopped working due to a locked cache file. This has not repeated itself.

We currently have approximately 200 users and have not experienced any difference in performance from when we had 10 users.

We haven’t used technical support.

Our previous solution was a combination of our file system, local hard drives, and an internally developed document management system.

We implemented Confluence because we needed a place to collaborate around software design and design specifications that was integrated with JIRA.

• Setup was fairly straightforward
  • Some configuration is required to integrate with LDAP for authentication, if that is your chosen route
  • Some configuration is required if you integrate with other Atlassian products
  • The installation guide covers everything

Make use of the evaluation option if you are unsure. Another option is to start small and test whether Confluence is for you.

A 10-user license is only $10. Be aware of the costs if you plan on rolling it out to your organization, as it does start to add up.

Try to do license changes on your anniversary month, as there is no pro-rata benefit.

We didn’t evaluate alternatives. The implementation was driven by our Java development team and their requirement for a place to collaborate and plan development work.

What other advice do I have?

Employ lean thinking and learn by doing! Have a rough idea of what you need to achieve and get a working framework in place. Experiment and see what works for you. It is simple to move pages after the fact, so don’t worry about being too pedantic in the beginning. Keep permissions simple and use groups as much as possible.

it_user172602
Managing Partner at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
It allows collaborative functionality across documents, meeting notes and project requirements.

What is most valuable?

Overall, I love the ability to quickly upload and preview documents. The navigation is quite easy and intuitive once you grasp the file hierarchy. I use the template pages often to produce clean consistent spaces for clients.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I think the user interface could be more graphically pleasing, as well as establishing permissions across various spaces and user levels a bit clearer.

I have used this for approximately four years.

We have not had stability issues.

We didn’t have scaling issues once our company established its best use of the system and scaled from there.

We have not had to use them.

I used Basecamp previously. However, Confluence just fit our workflows better and at a better price.

Setup was very easy once the we established our goals in using the system.

Nothing more than the time spent previously using Basecamp.

What other advice do I have?

Understand the permissions. We provide a login for clients with access to certain areas. With multiple clients ensuring data security, this was huge for us.

Systems Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to filter information on different organizational groupings. Acts as a support for different development areas.

What is most valuable?

When we compared it to other wiki engines, we found the space concept and the hierarchical page.

• Space concept: The space concept was of interest to us since we have the need to filter information by means of authorization on different organizational groupings. For example, when working with loans, we can give access only to those working with loans.
  • Hierarchical page: On another axis, there are documentation spaces. This could be a space for Java developers, for example. In this space, only those people working with framework are allowed to make updates. There is also another Java developer space where you “only” need to be a Java programmer to have authorization to update.

How has it helped my organization?

We use this tool in the following ways:

• Internally: In IT development, it acts as a support for different development areas with the documentation of tools, manuals, internal handbooks, and best practices.
  • Externally: In business areas, it acts a place for the documentation of systems and FAQs.

We also exploit the SOAP API to make automated updates of specific wiki pages, such as z/OS. This is automated by means of a scheduler that triggers when some interesting event has occurred. I can also be trigged by Windows, which is a manual invocation.

The improvement is that this type of information is now found in one place instead of being found “here and there”.

What needs improvement?

I don't see the need for any large improvements. There are a number of minor improvements that are documented by Atlassian and also some problems waiting to be solved. For us, there are no items that we are sleepless waiting for.

We have been using Confluence since early 2007.

There are no stability issues to my knowledge.

There are no scalability issues to my knowledge. As of now, we run one instance in production and another instance in a test environment.

We had some issues regarding release upgrades, but they were sorted out as fast as could be expected.

We used an intranet based on another product before this solution, and we still use it. However, we never had a wiki engine before Confluence.

The initial installation was on UNIX with Oracle for data storage. I did not have any personal involvement with that installation. As a user, I can say that it worked OK.

As of now, we run it on Linux under Apache Tomcat and with Oracle. The move, which was done at the same time as a release upgrade, did not introduce any problems.

My personal installation experience was a private workstation test installation. It was done without any problems.

We looked at some other wiki engines like MediaWiki. However, the Confluence concept of spaces and hierarchy was the main reason why we chose it.

What other advice do I have?

The product is easy to install and set up. It is also easy to work with as a user, an editor, or as a reader.

Some thought should go into the allocation of spaces and the usage. There are different “types” of spaces, such as documentation team. There is also the possibility to define our own types, which we haven't exploited yet.

In summary, define your use and read the documentation to see what needs to be defined in order to meet your demands.

Manager Ops ID Solutions at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It gives near WYSIWYG editing. The low threshold to use makes it accessible for all users.

What is most valuable?

The fact that Confluence is a wiki that allows near WYSIWYG editing. Having an “easy to use” product means that users have a “low threshold” to use it. This is very important, as the value of any information store is that of the data that is put in to it.

How has it helped my organization?

The ease of use makes it accessible for all users. Users are able to insert/edit information without having to have wiki knowledge. We can put any “static” information in Confluence. “Static” meaning that the information does not change on a daily basis. The strong search function let’s us find stored information rapidly.
We store customer information, work processes, to do’s, best practices, etc.

What needs improvement?

Some things like:

• Being able to (default) sort comments on pages with the last comment first.
  • Being able to require “restricted access” permission to view Confluence pages (like JSD).
  • The Atlassian cloud pricing model is pretty steep. Confluence should be accessible by a relatively large audience, but the pricing model prohibits this. For example, we like to grant our customers access.
  • Inheritable permissions. This enables a “tree” of pages to share the same permissions. Currently, permissions can be set on a space, and altered per page. This is not very handy, as it is easy to forget setting permissions where it is needed or desired.

I have been using Confluence for five years.

We have not noticed any stability issues.

The pricing model is too steep for us to really use it for everything.

Technical support is generally very good. I must say though, that Atlassian’s success has made the company less flexible with respect to responding to users wishes and requirements. I have had several issues/demands that I found I was not alone in. On most occasions, there where one or more support issues in the Atlassian support portal and more and more, people complain about not being heard.

I have not used another solution before.

Having a cloud solution, setup is easy. Being somewhat of an expert from using Atlassian products for years, I know where to look. For novice users, I’ve been told that not everything is easy to find.

My advise to Atlassian is to offer a less steep model and also offer “read-only access” for non-paying users. We currently are looking for a second product to use in a situation where we need to offer access to 40-50 read-only customers.

I started using Confluence when we started with JIRA. Therefore, I did not evaluate other products.

What other advice do I have?

Confluence Cloud is especially easy to get started with. With $10 a month for 10 users, it is pretty cheap. You have to keep in mind, however, that the pricing changes dramatically when the user count goes up. New users should think about what they may need later, when they start.

Project Manager with 501-1,000 employees
You can move pages around and it integrates with JIRA.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are:

• It is easy to use.
  • It is easy for newcomers to start using it.
  • It has the “what you see is what you get” functionality of MS Word.
  • It is easy to move pages around. There is no excuse for not doing documentation just because you do not know where to add it.
  • It has good integration with JIRA. You can really do great things with the two products.

What needs improvement?

The license part is too flexible.

We have been using this solution since 2008.

There have not been any stability issues.

There have not been many scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 9 out of 10.

We used SharePoint a long time ago, and we will never go back to it.

The installation can be quite complex. You need to know what you are doing in order to install it on your own. The cloud version is very easy to install.

You need to buy a full license for your entire organization, even though you only need a plugin for two people.

What other advice do I have?

There needs to be an owner of the installation, in terms of the system and the infrastructure.

Director of Operations at Armada Cloud
Reseller
Great tool for document control - try it for QMS

What is most valuable?

Built in revision history and document management makes this ideal for companies without a dedicated document controller, and makes life significantly easier for document controllers who are using paper-based systems.

I've used Confluence as a Quality Management System at several companies; traditional QMS’s need pretty dedicated management by a document controller to make sure revision history is maintained, changes go through an adequate approval process, and only the latest approved versions of documents are being used. Confluence essentially handles all of that, which means companies without the means for a dedicated document controller can still implement a QMS, and/or companies with a document controller benefit from the added efficiencies.

How has it helped my organization?

Really speeds up creation and approval of policies and procedures and provides a centralized area for users to access current versions of documents.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes has issues with cron jobs crashing - need to check more recent versions to see if this has been resolved.

I'd also love to see integrated project management with Gantt charts, but I'm a sucker for Gantt charts.

it_user229629
Business Development at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Third party add-ons add more capabilities for power users.

Valuable Features:

Confluence is very easy to use and a range of third party add-ons to add more capabilities for power users. Highly recommended to any organization as a way of breaking down silos and sharing information more effectively across teams and departments. I often call it "Wikipedia blended with Facebook for the organization".

Improvements to My Organization:

Prior to my organization adopting Confluence, email was everything. Internal knowledge sharing was always an email, which would get lost in everyone's inbox, along with all the "Reply All" comments. Now, any information worth sharing is posted to Confluence, with threaded comments making future research and referencing far more effective.

Room for Improvement:

I've always found search to be buggy. Sometimes, searching for a keyword or phrase will result in no matches, despite me later finding a posting with that exact word or phrase.

Also, organizing content via folders could be improved. Nested folders only goes two levels deep, while more nesting levels would be helpful. Resorting to using tags for posts is more difficult, as too many tags were getting created by our teams and it became a nightmare.

Senior Consultant IT Infrastructure at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
We're able to create and organize our self-written documentation efficiently, although it's written in, and therefore has the overhead and issues of, Java.

What is most valuable?

Categories, document editing and creation, the great permission system, awesome plugin management.

How has it helped my organization?

Confluence allows creating new documentation very fast. This allowed us to organize our self-written documentation in a very efficient way.

What needs improvement?

There are two things which annoy us the most:

(a) It is written in Java and therefore comes with all the overhead and issues of Java applications.

(b) It doesn't allow editing documents with multiple users at the same time.

I have been using it for almost two years.

Deployment can be painful when you have to deal with different Java versions or keystores. The rest is very simple since there is a very good install and upgrade wizard.

No, Confluence turned out to be very stable.

No, not yet.

I didn't get in touch with Atlassian yet. But they have an awesome wiki and Q&A section.

I was using several open source wiki systems, all of them lacked the great ACL and plugin system of Confluence.

It was straight forward.

I implemented it myself.

The more users you have, the more money you will spend. Make sure to give only those users access who really need it.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to run backups by dumping the database and saving the Confluence home on nightly basis.

Director of Client Success, Co-Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The structure of spaces, pages and child pages allows an easy way to structure content in a way which suits our business. Search only takes you to a page, not an area of a page.

Valuable Features

The flexibility and scalability of Confluence.

Improvements to My Organization

Confluence has been our central knowledge platform for several years. All of our agent team use the knowledge base constantly throughout their work.

Room for Improvement

It takes some thought into how to structure confluence in a way which is intuitive for the team to use.

Search only takes you to a page, not an area of a page.

Use of Solution

3 years

We had no issues with deployment.

We had no issues with stability.

Just in respects of how we structure our content. Confluence is perfectly scalable.

Responsive and to the point. Also extensive knowledge base which is useful for most queries.

10/10

Implementation Team

We implemented in house with (at the time) limited technical expertise.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Hosting yourself allows greater flexibility in terms of extensions and customisation.

Technical Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
This became the primary location where all knowledge documents and other documentation were recorded and held, but JIRA and Confluence connectivity needs to be stabilized.

What is most valuable?

1. Its ability to display data from an excel sheet attached to the page. A simple one line code can do this.

2. Allows markers in the page so that they can be referenced in other pages thereby avoiding duplication.

3. Allows creation of random tables when needed for representation.

4. Allows document attachments to be visible as a link whose display text can be user-defined.

How has it helped my organization?

This became the primary location where all knowledge documents and other documentation were recorded and held. Its ability to allow creation of child pages helped to nest topics within topics

What needs improvement?

1. When excel sheets are added for being displayed, it skips document formats and does not recognize merged cells.

2. Supports only MS office 97-2003 formats. Should also support 2010 formats as its a overhead to convert everytime.

3. JIRA and Confluence connectivity needs to be stabilized. We've faced embarrassing situations with stakeholders when the Confluence pages could not pull the list of JIRAs to be referenced on the page.

5 years

Deployment was handled by the client's infrastructure team. I'm unable to comment on this.

Yes. JIRA to confluence connectivity was a nagging issue. To circumvent this, we started using JIRA dumps into excel and uploading them to the Confluence page.

None

I'm unable to comment on this.

Confluence was already used as the primary tool for reporting and documentation.

However, there have been Sharepoint based solutions for holding documents and their version which I did not find as user-friendly as Confluence.

The other option, of course, is to maintain your documents in a configuration management tool like Visual Safe Source.

Deployment and setup was handled by the client's infrastructure team. I'm unable to comment on this

I'm unable to comment on this.

We did not particularly evaluate other tools, but when compared with VSS and Sharepoint based solutions, Confluence would be an easy choice. This depends on what exactly is your purpose of using this tool. My views are based on its use as a tool for documentation and a QA's perspective on it.

it_user204948
Senior IT Operations Manager at a recreational facilities/services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Ease at which employees can curate content and people can discover meaningful and important info are valuable features.

What is most valuable?

The ease at which any employee can curate content and the ease in which people can discover meaningful and important information to get their job done.

How has it helped my organization?

We are hard core users so there are a lot of examples: At HomeAway we have product development teams for our sites, they use confluence both to document product roadmaps, and for the integration with JIRA to relay to stakeholders the updated status. It is the only place people go at HomeAway to get information.

What needs improvement?

The ability to delegate administrative roles, very difficult to give someone delegated administrative ability – almost all or nothing.

My company has been working with Atlassian for 6 years.

Not really, I wasn’t there when it was originally deployed but I have been thru major upgrades.

No. We were having issues but that was because we hadn’t configured properly.

Very high – responsive and very thorough.

Very high – responsive and very thorough.

Formerly used Sharepoint – we like that Confluence has higher usability for the user so we can democratize content creation.

I was not here for the initial setup, but the upgrades setup is complex for us mainly because cloning the environment for testing is complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely not just purchase and install – engage with an expert, there is a lot of power in using Confluence and you need expert guidance to use it all properly.

VP, Enterprise PMO at a wireless company with 51-200 employees
We've been able to implement a 'control center' in Confluence using JIRA integration, but reporting on content usage info and patterns is completely missing.

What is most valuable?

• Easy to use
  • Flexible
  • Smooth integration with JIRA

How has it helped my organization?

This is our corporate wiki, all departments use it for process and knowledge management. We implemented a 'control center' in Confluence using the JIRA integration for both Change Control and Incident Management.

What needs improvement?

Reporting on content usage info and patterns is completely missing and would be a great addition. On-demand is especially limited due to the significantly reduced number of plug ins available. Reassignment of content ownership would also be a nice feature.

I've used it for three years.

It's an on-demand service.

There's been a few outages, but nothing significant.

It's an on-demand service.

It's not needed often, but they are responsive when issues are reported.

It's not needed often, and when they are, there's a good integration of reported issues to the backlog.

At a previous job we were beginning to use SharePoint, I am not an expert.

Confluence setup is very straightforward, but an absence of formal training availability caused it to take longer than it should have to become productive.

It was done in-house.

I don't have a specific number for it, but I consider it to be extensive, given the low cost and widespread use of this tool.

We are using the on-demand version and our pricing is fixed.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend you consider a managed hosting arrangement instead of on-demand, because of the limitations. I would also recommend a clear plan be developed for content structure and ownership.

it_user211962
Head of Central Applications at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Far fewer office files are now sent around - the availability of information has helped our organization function better

What is most valuable?

Configurability, modern web application, and the large community.

How has it helped my organization?

Thorough tracking and logging of actions (Nothing gets lost), far fewer office files sent around by collaborating online, instant availability of information.

What needs improvement?

• A lot of bugs already reported to Atlassian are not addressed.
  • Avatars must be square.
  • Status lozenges must offer more than three colors.

5 years.

No issues with deployment.

Yes. Both applications do not recover from loss of database server connection. Even if DB server is back online, applications need a restart.

Up to now it performs ok. We are at 300,000 issues. Getting the impression that it will get tight now.

As an Enterprise Customer the service is not sufficient. Our concerns are not being addressed. Active visits at our site would be appreciated to explain our issues.

Did not need it yet.

We switched because it was the better product for a lesser price.

Initial setup was straightforward.

In-house team.

At the time it was $8000 one off and $4000 yearly maintenance. Atlassian forced to switch to Enterprise licenses which doubled the cost.

Mantis.

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared that functionality of today might be changed or removed or charged separately without being asked. Bugs can be reported but are often not addressed for years. Atlassian may make major design decisions not considering their customers needs and requirements.

it_user201597
SVP Information Services at a tech company with 10,001+ employees

What is most valuable?

We are able to add 3rd party plugins and overall collaborative abilities. Keep in mind that DocOps moves the technical content industry from heavy duty doc apps to a crowdsourced approach which requires extensive collaboration. The plugins enabled basic doc properties such as version control from K15t.

How has it helped my organization?

DocOps is a leading edge approach to technical content. We could not have done this without Confluence. Other companies are looking to duplicate.

What needs improvement?

The search ability (using Lucene) is less than optimal and has known bugs that are slow in getting addressed. Search is key on any content platform.

We have had Confluence used casually inside R&D for several years, but then built DocOps using confluence at its core about 18 months ago. This rating is based on that instance (which is hosted at Contegix).

We use the latest release of Confluence.

No issues with deployment.

Yes, but because we stressed it with an integration to Lingotek which enables real-time cloud translation and a few plugins.

We are constantly watching scalability and are a bit worried but believe the costs of the new Data Center version cost prohibitive.

They seem to struggle a bit. We were having some concerns with CPU usage and heap memory. Support seemed to struggle with solving. I also felt like I really had to purchase support for $35k to get the level I really needed.

No. This was a different direction from a documentation systems to confluence. Not a switch of wiki products.

We had help from hired services help such as K16T and others. I also think our installation was much more complex than most from what I am told.

This is a complex answer given we created an industry leading platform and way of using confluence unlike any other user.

Due to our experience using it internally and based on a review of a few free wiki’s, we decided to go with Confluence so as to have only 1 product at CA.

What other advice do I have?

Spend time figuring out the best way to maintain. Hosted vs On Premise. Also, you may need to develop new skills to install and manage the plugins.

Systems/Applications Specialist with 201-500 employees
I like that we don't need to wait until a document is 100% ready, we can start with a draft and develop in progress.

What is most valuable?

• Easy import and creation of new documents
  • Notifications of the updated content
  • Version history changes
  • Cross team changing

How has it helped my organization?

Before using Confluence we have had the documentation spread across multiple shared drives and emails. Confluence gave us a chance to re-arrange the documents into a single repository and group the information logically in home page(s). I have called our home page a one-stop-shop for all team related links. Furthermore, other teams have created their own home pages and we are able to access each other spaces, sharing knowledge and know-how. When we do project work we can share the progress and develop documentation on the go while everyone has access to the latest version in real time. Talking about this, the thing I love about Confluence is that every document becomes a living document and we don't need to wait until it is 100% ready, but start with a draft and develop in progress.

What needs improvement?

Surprisingly enough the text editor is very limited in its functionality and given the fact that so many forum platforms and web sites have mastered this tool I believe Atlassian have no excuse to keep it this way. It lacks basics such as text highlighting, and adjusting the text size and working with tables is a nightmare. Text formatting and working with numbers and bullet points is time consuming. I would like to see more plugins and additional functionality such as embedding of other pages, drop down menus, insert buttons, and page templates.

I have used it for over two years.

No issues faced with deployment.

The software has been running as expected. We have faced an issue where the hard disk ran out of space and the application continued working, putting all the changes in the memory. We have identified this fact after a server restart and as a result the changes made in the last few weeks were lost (the current RAM setups are huge enough to store plenty of text based information). I believe a simple space utilisations could be implemented in the app to warn or stop it from working if there is no space. In my opinion, the impact of losing the work is bigger than having the app down until fixed.

As above plus the available users are based on license.

I find the customer sevice limited.

Technically speaking they have just enough resources to confirm bugs and lack of functionality but no people to follow on fixing and improving.

First of its kind in this environment.

Straightforward install and setup.

Implemented in-house. Quick and painless.

Confluence has saved time in finding information, reduced the on-boarding time, improved provisioning of repeatable scripted operational process, provided a central point for knowledge sharing and supplied better retention of Intellectual Property.

Not sure about the initial cost but the application itself needs little computing and some disk space.

What other advice do I have?

Go fast, cheap and dirty when creating new documents and improve in progress - this tool concentrates on the sharing, arranging and collaboration part but doesn't aim too high about how the content looks like. If you are after some serious functionality such as a table of contents, body styles and track changes I would recommend using Word and attach as a doc file. Index your content in home pages and sub-home pages for better logical arrangement of the information and fast navigation. Research additional modules like Confluence Questions. You can use the spaces for team building management like having a section for photos from events, out of work activities or sharing industry related links.

it_user165711
CEO with 51-200 employees
Reduces redundant communication. Working with 3rd party content can be improved.

What is most valuable?

Content creation and sharing, collaboration

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced redundant communication and overall better communication among knowledge workers

What needs improvement?

Working with 3rd party content i.e. MS office, PDF files, email integration

6 years

Social adoption - it is always tricky to change current way-of-doing things you are bringing a new culture of collaboration and working with information.

Haven't had any issues with stability.

Haven't had any issues with scalability.

9/10

9/10

Filesystem and email, we switched because it was not a effective way of collaborating in teams.

Straightforward

In-house

Initial 50K USD, cloud-based infrastructure cost + maintenance = 30k / year

Yes - all wiki and collaboration platforms available

What other advice do I have?

Just do it, it will give you quick benefits and will change the overall atmosphere when doing things together in one place. Here's an example of ours:

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're an Atlassian Confluence expert partner
it_user11370
Director of Operations at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees
Confluence 5 brings a fresh UI
Only just recently did I share our experience with migrating our internal custom KB system to Atlassian Confluence. We’ve been using it for a significant period of time, and our team are making good use of the Confluence wiki. Our team is using it for project planning, documentation, setup guides, known issues, bug tracking, reports and more. I also personally run my own starter edition wiki for my own personal use, plus I can generally trial new plugins and new releases quicker on my own personal wiki. I also recently wrote an article about the Evernote plugin and during my research I was aware that Confluence 5 was close to being released. Then just recently I got an email from Atlassian announcing the release of Confluence 5, I quickly added a task to get my…

I also recently wrote an article about the Evernote plugin and during my research I was aware that Confluence 5 was close to being released. Then just recently I got an email from Atlassian announcing the release of Confluence 5, I quickly added a task to get my personal wiki upgraded to Confluence 5 ASAP, so I could check out the new features.

The email Atlassian sent out made it clear that a new user interface had been rolled in to this release, so I was interested to see what had changed.

Today I am just going to take you through a quick introduction to some of the new features in Confluence 5.

UI Improvements

One of the main focus’s of this upgrade was an overhaul of the user interface (the look and feel). On first login after the upgrade you can not miss that changes. I was greeted with the new ui and a welcome message with a link to a video about the new confluence ui.

blog-conf-1

There is always going to be some issues when changing that UI mainly for the end users. I think the video is a great touch to bring people up to speed.

Worth noting is if you read through the Upgrade Notes for this release, Atlassian have taken the time to create a whole section on how to prepare your end users. This is a great touch. As with all new things, sometimes change can be scary.

Atlassian have provided video’s and notes on these big changes. Giving you (the person in charge of upgrading / training) the content necessary to educate your team. Planning for Confluence 5 - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Planning+for+Confluence+5

Create Button

Previously with prior releases of Confluence if you wanted to add a new page, blog post etc, you browsed to the particular space, then selected the Add button and chose your options.

This has now been replace with a single “Create” button in the top banner. From here you can create a new blank page, page from template, blog post etc and choose what space / page to put it under.

blog-conf-2

I think this is a great idea. A one stop location for getting your creating content. Simpler and more efficient.

New Side Bar

Confluence 5 has introduced a side bar when you are browsing spaces or pages. The side bar can be customized to include shortcuts to your favorite or frequently used space’s or page.

It also provide a navigation for child pages depending on what space / page you are viewing.

blog-conf-3

So when I am browsing my setup notes space, you can see that it provides quick access to some of the pages that are available.

They have moved the space options to the side bar as well instead of cluttering up the top bar, this is a positive move to reduce the clutter in the top bar. This side bar has replaced the older “Browse” men option.

Editor Improvements

Although I have not heavily tested this yet, when editing a page I noticed the load time once you hit “Edit” has improve dramatically.

Atlassian have got some serious speed improvements for the Editor in Confluence 5. The editor has also experienced some UI changes to maximise screen space.

Conclusion

Though this is early days getting familiar with Confluence 5, I have no major complaints just yet. The new UI is fresh and so far easy to use. The speed improvements are noticeable and my current favorite plugin (Evernote Plugin) still works in Confluence 5.

I have one little gripe so far though, Confluence 5 introduces “round” space logos. So if you are upgrading an existing Confluence install, you may need to review your logo’s for spaces, as they may get a little ruined or look a bit funny after they have been “rounded”. Not sure why Atlassian chose the round logo approach, it is a minor issue though, but some logos do not fit in a round shape, so would of been good to “choose” the shape.

From reading through the Confluence 5 release notes, there are a large number of other changes. If you are curious to see them all here are some useful links,

Now I have to start planning the upgrade of our Crucial Confluence Wiki, so the team can benefit from this new release.

I would love to hear from anyone who has upgraded already. Feel free to share your thoughts on the new release.

it_user11370
Director of Operations at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees
Our shift to Confluence
For a long, long, long, long, long time Crucial has operated a custom made web based internal knowledge base / documentation area which has fallen well out of date. Though web based and coded in PHP we have since out grown its simplicity. Our team regularly felt the pain of trying to locate, update or add information. Finally we hit a point where we had to take action, so we put the word out to our team to come up with some possible third party options to replace our internal kb area. We received replies with a number of suitable options. Atlassian Confluence TikiWiki KBPublisher BrainKeeper MindTouch At this point we realized that we really needed to sit down and come up with our requirements. We could then use the requirements to help compare the solutions and make a…

We received replies with a number of suitable options.

At this point we realized that we really needed to sit down and come up with our requirements. We could then use the requirements to help compare the solutions and make a final decision.

The team bumped heads and came up with a relativity straight forward list of features and requirements.

Our replacement wiki needed,

• Excellent search functionality.
  • Permissions at a per page basis.
  • Easy to use layout.
  • To be easy to find information in.
  • Search uploaded documents (nice to have)
  • Ability to upload files such as PDF, Images, Zips.
  • Ability to move pages, articles around and change names.
  • Ability set descriptive titles / names.
  • WSIWYG editor for creating pages / documents.
  • Version Control for a document / page.
  • Able to structure information and modify layout of system.
  • Local install (not a hosted solution)

Some of those options were quite basic, but essential to how we wanted to run our wiki.

We then went through the process of comparing all the viable Wiki solutions against our list of requirements.

1. Tiki Wiki

TikiWiki ticked a lot of the boxes that made up our criteria. Good search, permissions, upload files, version control, and the expected WSIWYG editor. However what turned us off this solution was the look and feel.We strongly believe the wiki should be easy on the eyes, and the layout should be a breeze to work with. Many of our testers did not find it met those needs.

2. KBPublisher

KB Publisher was another great option. It met most of our needs, with a great search function, positive comments about how easy it was to use and all the usual features you would expect from a wiki solution.

3. BrainKeeper

Straight away we ruled this out because brain keeper was not able to be locally installed, you had to use it hosted on their infrastructure. While this is not necessarily a bad thing depending on your budget, we prefer to keep our wiki locally run.We still went through the testing process however, and found this solution to be very feature rich. One disappointing note was it had a page version control, but you couldn’t revert to a previous version, just see the changes.

4. MindTouch

MindTouch was an interesting offering. From a feature set perspective it had a large list of features, a good portion we had no use for. We considered this a disadvantage as it meant there was a lot of bloat or unnecessary functionality.We came to the decision that this was not a suitable option as the layout was not user friendly which we believe was as a result of the large list of features.

We then got on with testing Atlassian Confluence. Immediately the feedback from our testers was very positive. Great layout, easy to use, ticked all our feature requirements and a search function that was exactly what we were after!

Confluence had all the bits we needed plus more! A recurring comment was on the WSIWYG editor used when creating pages / documents, the editor in Confluence is amazing. With drag and drop ability for adding images and documents, as well as easy to use shortcuts.

Further to our decision Confluence has an excellent documentation area for users and admins alike. Along with that Atlassian offer an interactive and video based training area called Atlassian University.

Personally I have worked with Confluence in previous roles, and already had made my mind up, but to avoid to much bias we still let the team vote and give feedback.

Confluence was chosen as our new wiki replacement!

6 months later…..

We’ve been running Confluence now for about 6 months. We are on the end part of a migration to migrate all our old articles from our legacy system and could not be happier! We took our time moving the articles across because we wanted to verify each article and make sure it was worth moving!

Since going live with Confluence we have started using it quite heavily for our project documentation, internal tech support documentation and a large number of our team members are making great use of the persona spaces for their own notes, documents and general shenanigans.

At the time of deployment we went live with Confluence 4.1 and it was great, since then Confluence has now gone to Confluence 4.3 which has added a couple of features worth noting, including a WSIWYG editor for the Global Templates area.

We are looking forward to Confluence 5 and some of the new UI changes they are bringing in!

If you have any questions about why we moved to Confluence, or wondering about our experience in using Confluence so far, please feel free to leave a comment.

Disclaimer: The company I work for is partners with several vendors

it_user9330
Owner at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Confluence and Salesforce Chatter
I use Confluence for sales support as an extranet, where I publish pages that can be viewed by anonymous users. Sometimes with permissioning to specific sets of customers. They don t need to have individual logins. A collective login and password may be enough. If I want to interact with them relative to a specific content (means, it s a content-centric interaction), then I ask them to use comments on Confluence. If the interactions are related to some opportunity or pre-sale, then I call them to interact on Salesforce Chatter. Now, although I haven t experimented yet, I believe that a great integration would be to publish Salesforce reports on a Confluence page, so that users of the reports don t need individual SF licences and can view them (and comment them) on Confluence. Does it…

Now, although I haven t experimented yet, I believe that a great integration would be to publish Salesforce reports on a Confluence page, so that users of the reports don t need individual SF licences and can view them (and comment them) on Confluence. Does it make sense for you?

Content Developer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Confluence vs. Blackboard Learn
Both Confluence and Blackboard Learn have the capability to utilize wikis for instruction. Depending on the features you need, one may be better for your course than the other. Wikis in Blackboard Learn have a direct tie in to all of blackboard’s features, especially the grade book. However Confluence has a greater overall feature set, thereby making it a much more powerful wiki tool. Below is a wiki comparative grid between these two applications. Features Confluence Blackboard Learn wiki Viewable to Public Yes, if wanted No (only to individual classes) Content hierarchy control Yes No Wiki lifespan Beyond life of course Only life of course Individual user access control Yes Yes,…

Below is a wiki comparative grid between these two applications.

Features

Confluence

Blackboard Learn wiki

Viewable to Public

Yes, if wanted

No (only to individual classes)

Content hierarchy control

Embed video

Embed PDF, Word, or PPT files

Attach documents

Blogging

Yes, but external to wiki

it_user2544
Developer at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Decent Wiki Functionality, Awful Search

Valuable Features:

It's relatively easy to use, and has a lot of functionality with regard to formatting wiki articles and embedding content.

Room for Improvement:

The search is pretty terrible. You can search for something that is quite close to text that appears in an article, and nothing will come up. I consistently have a hard time finding the things I care about on our wiki.

Other Advice:

Overall it's a fine tool, but I don't think it provides a whole lot of advantages over other similar options. We use it primarily because we also use JIRA, and working with one vendor makes things easier.
Customer Communication Specialist at a media company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, but tough time importing Word.

Valuable Features:

It is very easy to use and setup. The Word import works well (except for styling issues). Users can collaborate and you can allow certain users to see certain content dynamically. Many plugins are offered. The most useful one is to generate PDF on the fly. You also have send this page, print, etc. If you do not require log ins (only allow anonymous users), I would highly recommend Confluence.

Room for Improvement:

I had a tough time importing Word and allowing use of an external style sheet (and not import hard coded). Also, the pricing module needs to be adjusted. We want all our customers to be able to view Confluence as anonymous users. However, all our customers require a log in to our platform. And, to integrate with Confluence would require user licenses for every one of our users (over 10,000). It is not affordable.