Automic Continuous Delivery Automation OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Automic Continuous Delivery Automation is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Release Automation tools. It is most often compared to AutoSys Workload Automation: Automic Continuous Delivery Automation vs AutoSys Workload Automation

What is Automic Continuous Delivery Automation?

Deliver apps at pace with agile development and let customer satisfaction soar.

Today, the pressure is on to transform how you deliver applications to market. Get release agility and speed without compromising quality and stability with CA Continuous Delivery Automation. Deliver apps reliably on demand from development through production—mobile to mainframe. Agilely scale as the cadence, volume and complexity of your apps grow. It’s DevOps-ready release management and automation for your dynamic enterprise.

Automic Continuous Delivery Automation is also known as CA Continuous Delivery Automation, Automic Release Automation, Automic ONE Automation, UC4 Automation Platform.

Download the Release Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Automic Continuous Delivery Automation Customers

BET365, Charter Communications, TASC

Automic Continuous Delivery Automation Video

Archived Automic Continuous Delivery Automation Reviews (more than two years old)

Max Ehammer
Enterprise Architect at Spar BusIness Services
Video Review
An umbrella system allowing us to integrate many different systems into our heterogeneous environment

• "It is an umbrella system that allows us to integrate many different systems into our heterogeneous environment."
  • "It would be very beneficial for us to see integrations into cloud environments, especially into the Google Cloud environment because we are heading towards cloud."

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us the advantage to release and deploy, so if there are packages of different systems within a release plan, we are able to control and steer our releases so they are stable. This is very beneficial for us.

What is most valuable?

What we like about the product is that it is more or less an umbrella system that allows us to integrate many different systems into our heterogeneous environment.

What needs improvement?

It would be very beneficial for us to see integrations into cloud environments, especially into the Google Cloud environment because we are heading towards cloud. This would be very interesting for us to see.

In the past, when we did not use the product, we quite often had problems due to stability of the deployments. Since we started using the product, it works better and the solution is quite stable.

We have not had any issues due to scalability so far. So, I am assuming it is okay.

Technical support is very good for us. We are working very tightly with our support from CA. We have implemented this solution together with the support, and we are very satisfied with it.

We were not using anything before. We were planning to do this solution by Automic at that time because the product was by Automic. They gave us a product overview and showed us what we could do with the tool. That was the start of us making a proof of concept and investing in that direction.

We did not have any issues with the implementation process. More or less, they did the job for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product as an eight out of 10.

MJ
Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

• "The main benefit is you can deploy everything with it."
  • "There is an issue with the stability in the tool. The process of agent will stop, then the monitoring agent can't be recognized because the process is running, but you can talk with the system."
  • "If you have a technical problem and need development of the tool, the support team is terrible, because they cannot help with the technical details."

What is our primary use case?

We use a single application and are trying to deploy it with Automic Release Automation (ARA). It works for one component, so we decided to spread the tool to all our applications and make it the status quo. Today, we are still trying to deploy more applications with this tool.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit is you can deploy everything with it, but everybody has to need to use this tool in the organization. If some organizations have their own tool, it is hard to make it clear that ARA would be better if everyone used it, because it provides a benefit when you can monitor all the users.

What is most valuable?

The parameters in this tool are valuable, but there are also some mistakes with the management of its parameters. This tool needs more user management for its parameter. What it has is not enough.

What needs improvement?

• I need a better way to manage users. I need user groups and dynamic properties in Release Automation.
  • I want to access separate users in different folders. That would be good.

Still implementing.

There is an issue with the stability in the tool. The process of agent will stop, then the monitoring agent can't be recognized because the process is running, but you can talk with the system. This is a big issues with the tool because the agent has to run. If it does not run, then the process has to stop, so the monitoring tool can see that the process is not running, and that does not always work.

It depends on the contract that you have with Automic. If you have a fixed contract, it has limits to spreading out. If you have a flexible enterprise license contract, then you have a lot of scalability for this tool. Then, you can use everything. So, it will depend on the contract that you will make with Automic.

For Automic, we use the typical support, not any specific technical support. We make a ticket, state what we want, label it: Automic, and they answer.

If you have a technical problem and need development of the tool, the support team is terrible, because they cannot help with the technical details. They ask the development and the answer doesn't help. They say "We can see the problem, but the customer will have to do a workaround." That is a typical answer.

In the past, we used a mainframe system BS2000 and UC4. We used this before and was able to use BS2000 with 2000 agents, which was very important for us. We decided to use UC4 before so we are in contact with Atomic the whole time.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

Nowadays, it costs more than before, because of the conception work you have to do and not every team uses it. So, we have more costs.

In the future, when everybody uses it, then we can lower our costs because of agile, and it will be more efficient than before.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend not using ARA, but Automatic Workload Automation (AWA) because it is a more flexible tool. You can deploy and do release stuff on it.

Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Red Hat, IBM and others in Release Automation. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MD
Principal Project Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
It can support very complex environments and dependencies

• "It can support very complex environments and dependencies."
  • "It gives us good feedback on visualizations and on how our processes have progressed."
  • "At the moment, the version that we are using (version 12.0), the environment is complex with multiple installations. Therefore, the monitoring is not scalable, but this should be improved in 12.1 and 12.2."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to installing a complex application in a legacy world.

How has it helped my organization?

• It supports our legacy, complex environment.
  • It gives us good feedback on visualizations and on how our processes have progressed.
  • We use it as a way to communicate during installations of complex environments to stakeholders.

What is most valuable?

It can support the following:

• Very complex environments
  • Very complex dependencies
  • Legacy environments.

What needs improvement?

It is very stable. That is also one of the core benefits that we press a button to do the installation. We can rely on that it is finished after eight hours, and that is a very good situation. Before, it was a manual installation, and we had a lot of issues afterwards. Now, there is a full stack installation and automatic insulation, and we can rely that the installation is working.

The solution is very scalable.

Right now, we have formal direct contact with the Automic people from the Netherlands. We also have a contract with their consultants, who are supporting us. The support is very good.

The initial setup was very complex. It was underestimated at the beginning. There is on one hand the technical aspect of the solution. On the other hand, we underestimated the organizational aspects in the company, because we also touch on processes. This was more complex in the end from a technical sense.

It is a three week manual installation for a complete server farm. Now, we have moved to an eight hours for this installation. That is the main benefit at the moment.

We save a lot of work on a lot of installations and have additional resources working on these manual installations. These resources can improve other things than the installation.

I can save time and money more quickly.

Before we started, there was a evaluation. An interesting point was that CA was approached as one of the two solution and Automic was the other. Then came the merger, and it was clear after the merger, we would be using the Automic solution and going with CA.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution. It is very stable and supporting for legacy environments. For complex environments, which have to be installed or managed, then it is a perfect solution.

We are at the starting point of our digital transformation and the speed up is just starting as everybody knows it is necessary. We can't stay with this manual installation, especially as the competition is not.

Main criteria when selecting a vendor: A simple installation that they could use.

They wanted a tool which could handle very complex environments with many dependencies and difficult workflows, but focus on installation first.

SS
IT Technician at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We can see which problems have been resolved from deployment

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to see which problems have been resolved from deployment."
  • "We hope that we can integrate the new CD Directive into our portfolio, so we can bring the deployment and release management closer together."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy contained releases. This means we deploy every three months, nearly 160 applications, to our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

The measurement and the display functions make it easy to report all the statuses up to management.

It has helped our customers with their time, costs, and resources.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to see which problems have been resolved from deployment. The monitoring is easy because of the colors and statuses, which are shown by colors on the report.

It is stable.

We can easily scale.

We are the developers and support team for this product.

The first time setup can be very complicated. It is not so easy for a non-technical customer to set up, but with time and training, it does get simpler to work with.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this product.

FB
Managing Partner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
The product provides efficiency, in terms time, cost, and resources

• "The product provides efficiency, in terms time, cost, and resources."
  • "It provides a wonderful user interface which is easy to use."
  • "Self-service for developers, because they are able to deploy to development departments on their own, without needing people from operations."
  • "The dashboard should allow you to see the current state of packages in each environment, not only on an individual application basis, but across the entire application platform."

What is our primary use case?

This product has been chosen for automating application releases at a bank, who is our customer. The primary reason was to increase the patterns of releases from 12 a year to more.

It performed really well. The pilot application that we implemented with them at the beginning of the year has been chosen to be a level up agile methodology, and within the three months that they used from the start of the project to going live, they have done approximately 600 deployments. This would have been impossible, given their present capacities.

How has it helped my organization?

The bank that we work with happens to be the most innovative bank in Central and Eastern Europe. They describe their main business justification for looking for a product such as this was to maintain a competitive edge and stay on the leading edge of innovation. They have gained efficiency that they cannot achieve in any other way.

What is most valuable?

• Speed and reliability of the process.
  • Self-service for developers, because they are able to deploy to development departments on their own, without needing people from operations.
  • The product provides efficiency, in terms time, cost, and resources.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard should allow you to see the current state of packages in each environment, not only on an individual application basis, but across the entire application platform. While this has already been resolved by the in-house development team of the customer, it would be nice if it was improved going forward.

Less than one year.

The stability is fine. Our customer appreciated during the PoC phase that this is truly an enterprise class tool. It has the reliability, stability, and the performance that they need going forward.

In terms of number of applications and deployment targets, the scalability will satisfy the bank's current needs. They have space to grow.

In terms of technical support, there was one minor incompatibility and license issue when we upgraded to the new version, 12.1, that we worked with them to resolve.

From my point of view, it was very straightforward.

The customer was ready and prepared. The experience from the PoC was so impressive that knew what to expect. Automic worked really well with us, and the pilot application was deployed within a couple of weeks.

In the beginning, it was the Automic staff that helped to deploy the pilot application. It did not take too much. Altogether, they used about 20 to 25 consulting days.

Our customer was able to go live within three months.

What other advice do I have?

Get hands-on experience, because these solutions are very similar to each other on paper.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

From the customer's perspective, the cost of tooling versus the productivity business benefit that it would bring in. Automic excels in this area, because it provides a wonderful user interface which is easy to use.

RS
Project Manager at a transportation company
We increased our quality and reduced our time costs

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is the implementation of software updates.

How has it helped my organization?

We save a lot of money. We have not had so many incidents in terms of correcting the deployment.

What is most valuable?

We have saved on our time costs and have seen more quality.

Stability is good. We have no problems.

CA Technologies technical support implemented the software. They were helpful.

We increased our quality and reduced our time costs. In the beginning, we invested 50,000 Euro in the application. We expect the return to be more.

What other advice do I have?

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is the implementation of software updates.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

We have saved on our time costs and have seen more quality.

Stability is good. We have no problems.

CA Technologies technical support implemented the software. They were helpful.

We increased our quality and reduced our time costs.

What other advice do I have?

I am happy with the product.

it_user779229
Architect at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reduces our time to market considerably with automated and consistent results

• "I would say our headwind, or our time to market, is reduced considerably. We get more consistent results out of it, because you write one time and once it's automated you expect it to behave the same way every time. And it cut down a lot of re-work for us."
  • "The capability to provide visibility to the stakeholders, to management, is the biggest piece that showcases what the solution is about."
  • "One of the biggest features I've been asked by my team to put in there is opening more scripting languages to be part of the platform. There is a little bit of a learning curve in learning how to code some of the workflows in Automic at this time. If widely used languages like Perl and Python were integrated, on top of what's already there, the proprietary language, it would make it easier to on-board new resources."

What is our primary use case?

We wanted to put in place release control, release management for our products, which is more centered around a COTS application, into an automated process. That's when we started looking for different tool sets and did a PoC with a couple of vendors. CA Automic stood out there. We started using it for both our service orchestration pieces as well as for release automation.

So far, it's been doing well. In terms of our expectations, it's what we were looking for. There are some angles where we are still refining it or maturing our processes around it, but we have covered a lot in the last about 18 months since we purchased and deployed it. We are about to take about 30 applications under the release automation and going live with a large program. So far, so good, I would say.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Scalability and auditability. The capability to provide visibility to the stakeholders, to management, is the biggest piece that showcases what the solution is about. Our whole approach of release automation is geared around it.

What needs improvement?

One of the biggest features I've been asked by my team to put in there is opening more scripting languages to be part of the platform. There is a little bit of a learning curve in learning how to code some of the workflows in Automic at this time. If widely used languages like Perl and Python were integrated, on top of what's already there, the proprietary language, it would make it easier to on-board new resources, and it could become a little bit more widely adopted tool going forward.

It's pretty stable. We have a good number of servers under its control right now. We haven't seen any issues where we've seen it's not stable or it's impacting the infrastructure negatively anywhere.

As I said, scalability was one of the key points when we looked into. It's quite scalable for us. The enterprise size that we have is well controlled and well defined for us, so it's good.

We actually have a professional service engineer onsite from Automic, and he's part of our team. He helps us implement best practices; trains our guys as we roll in new resources. It helps set the stage for us. Very helpful.

We had a lot of challenges to begin with. There was a big vacuum of tools when we started looking into it. For us it was natural that we knew what we were struggling with, and management was looking into doing something different, something better. We started looking out for some of the tools and solutions that could help us bridge that gap.

We did a couple of trial and errors to begin with, but with the help of the Professional Services guys, it didn't take that long. We were up and running in about two weeks' time, and started putting pieces in there.

We started with IBM tool sets. We had Electric Cloud that we looked into. And then we looked into Automic, and a few others; open source tools, as well. And then we naturally aligned towards Automic.

We went with them because of the stability of the company. We were looking for a partner, a well grounded company, how long they had been in operation. And we also looked at some white paper case studies out there, that helped us. And then we did a couple of proofs of concept with some of the vendors, and for our use case, what we were trying to implement, Automic stood out.

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor are

• the size of the vendor itself
  • how stable the company is
  • how long they have been in the market
  • what product suites they have that can help us achieve our goal at the end of the day.

We look for partners, not vendors per se, that can help us implement our vision with us, and that's why we like Automic.

I give it a good nine out of 10 at this time. The one piece that I think that could help leverage more of the tool is the scripting language barrier at this time. If that's not there, and some of the pieces that could be delivered faster, it might be adopted more out there in the market.

I would suggest look at the complete offering that's out there. I would suggest: Prove it out first with the use case that you have. We were not shy in terms of running some proofs of concept with a couple of big vendors out there, and then making them make the case why their product suits our use case. And don't be shy to restart if there is something that you think is not going right, make sure you fix the problem before it gets too late.

it_user779319
DevOps Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Gives us insight into the deployment process and metrics for evaluating it

• "Gives people insight into what's happening during the deployment."
  • "The metrics gathered after deployment, for example, the rate of success versus the rate of failure."
  • "I would like to see more support for WebSphere."

What is our primary use case?

Application deployment and orchestration.

It has been performing very well for us.

How has it helped my organization?

There are not enough hours in a day or week for us to do our jobs. We joke, we call the Automation like another person, or another few people. It lets us multitask much better, gives us a lot more confidence in what we do. At the end of the day we're delivering products that we know are working, as opposed to guessing that they're working.

What is most valuable?

• The speed which it deploys, and the accuracy.
  • Gives people insight into what's happening during the deployment.
  • The metrics gathered after deployment, for example, the rate of success versus the rate of failure.
  • We also notice places where we can improve.

What needs improvement?

We're a WebSphere shop so I would like to see more support for WebSphere, only because it's the platform that they seem to want to use the most. That's about the only thing I can think of.

The stability is very good, I've only had one issue with the product since we bought it, and the support was handled very quickly.

We've had no problems with scalability, even when it came to network segmentation. We were able to differentiate between test and production, and keep both sides happy, and make our security department not mad at us.

We actually used Professional Services, they helped us on-board, and we're actually still working with them for that too. But technical support: calling them or opening a ticket incident, very quick. We don't spend a lot of time having to be escalated from one person to another. Usually the first person that we get, right away the answer is pretty quick.

I'd say it was fairly straightforward. I think the only thing we ran into that was difficult was getting people on all the different teams, the infrastructure, to agree with our choices and platform and setup. That was the hardest part.

Going back now to 2016, we spent a year's time doing proofs of concepts with various release automation tools. We looked at all the industry leaders and we also reached out to companies that we had relationships with; obviously with CA, and we had products with IBM. We just took each one and gave them a shot, a proof of concept to go through.

At the end of the day, at the end of the year, CA offered the best package overall, and that wasn't just from a product standpoint but also a support standpoint. Because some companies (shall remain nameless) give you a startup and then they let you go, and we felt we needed beyond what you get for training. Sometimes it's not enough.

You need that real world experience, you need someone who is an expert at your side doing it, as opposed to their giving you two weeks and then you're own your own. And then, it's not like it was during the demo, or like it was during the pilot. There were things that we ran into, that were variations within our organization, that CA was able to come in and adjust and change and make it work.

What other advice do I have?

I would say, when you go to proof of concept, bring your next-to-the-worst-case scenario of what you need to get done; not the most complex but close to it. Because whatever you'll be able to hash out during the proof of concept, it positions you for better success when you actually decide to roll out.

it_user519528
Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Eliminates manual processes, reducing the risk of missing steps in the deployment

• "I think on a day-to-day basis, it has increased the capacity to deploy. We don't have to wait for someone to do something."
  • "key thing is support for cloud-based deployment. That is lacking."

What is our primary use case?

The key use cases will be eliminating manual activities, reducing the risk of missing steps in the deployment. The other thing is to speed up deployment, because the previous way of working was having someone to document the steps, someone to review the steps, and then at the end of the day, someone had to execute those steps within that window.

So far, it has performed well, at least from the "repeatable" perspective. All deployments are repeatable, so when we have issues with deployment, it gives us the opportunity to review and to know where the issues came from. If it is working now and was not working previously, we usually know where it fails.

How has it helped my organization?

I think on a day-to-day basis, it has increased the capacity to deploy. We don't have to wait for someone to do something. As long as it changes, then we can always deploy to an environment on demand.

What is most valuable?

I would say the traceability part of it. With this feature, I know which environment is running what. Which version of the binaries; that is key because then we know what to fix.

What needs improvement?

I think I spoke about this to them. The key thing is support for cloud-based deployment. That is lacking. Today, the whole world is looking at cloud deployment, running a cloud application. But it doesn't seem this platform will have that feature any time soon.

Stability-wise I think it still needs to be improved; performance-wise. It crashes from time to time. Sometimes it just hangs and requires a restart. Upgrades, depending on the versions, can be tedious and risky. We recently had a problem with one of the version upgrades, and the platform was down for a day. That wasn't a very pleasant experience.

I think scalability-wise it is proven. We are running a significant number of end points. I think other customers have run larger number of nodes as well. The scalability should be okay.

I use it all the time. The level of response is very specific to the individual that answers the call. Some are knowledgeable. But there are times that we are left on our own. The response time itself, overall is okay.

Initial setup is definitely easy. But when it comes to growing, the system becomes a bit more complicated. You want to have that HA capability, then you have to have redundancy in terms of connecting the different nodes, and you have to test that. Sometimes nodes don't seem to talk to each other. That's a problem.

What other advice do I have?

At this point in time we are not investing more because we already bought upfront. We are taking a wait-and-see attitude because, if the maturity of the platform plateaus, meaning we don't have new features, we might decide to move on.

When we are looking for a new vendor, what is important to us is ease of migration. The other factor is the the currency of the platform, how current is it in terms of alignment to the market we are in.

I give it an eight out of 10 because it does about 60-70 percent of the work. What it does, if it's done correctly, it does well.

I would advise a colleague who is considering this type of solution to look out for the fact it doesn't support the new stuff. But if you're looking for solutions that are based on your existing, traditional infrastructure, I think that's good tool.

it_user727497
DevOps Evangelist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables easy creation of Action Packs for platforms where we are deploying artifacts and overall good UX

• "Deployment workflow (WF) can be designed this way, so that it is not necessary to provide all applications (systems) artifacts of which an application consists."
  • "GUI for mobile phones: Availability to approve and start deployment through mobile phones."

What is most valuable?

Here are the top three features:

1. Deployment workflow (WF) can be designed this way, so that it is not necessary to provide all applications (systems) artifacts of which an application consists. Presence of deployed artifacts may differ in every deployment and an Automic ARA tool is able to handle this situation and provide a final successful installation. When we were testing different ARA solutions for this use case, it was necessary to design more than one deployment WF (specific for every combination of artifact). Our goal is to design a suitable amount of workflows for every application. In an ideal case, just one complex WF will solve all requested deployments. Until now, we have been able to keep this principle, that we have only one WF for each application.
  2. Ability to easily create our own Action Packs for platforms where we are deploying artifacts (a wide range of supported platforms out-of-the-box). You can read and edit out-of-the-box action packs as well. The tool is very good, configurable and customizable for specific requests of customer (specific customer environment and processes).
  3. Well and clearly designed UI with a very good UX. User is able to very clearly see designed WF, WF progress during deployment, and output logs from deployment targets and platforms. All this is available inside the Automic tool. Work in the tool is intuitive. User is able to restart deployment after it was stopped because of some problem, and so on.

How has it helped my organization?

CA Automic ARA solution gave us the ability to:

• Be faster and more flexible. In first pilot run, we achieved five times faster deployment without human work.
  • Be effective. We are saving tens of millions of dollars of work from our IT administrators.
  • Support standards and have fewer outages. Environments have to be the same because we use one deployment workflow for each integrated application.
  • Support Agile development. We are able to do quick sprints without any deployment limits.

Our DevOps project (reason why we bought this solution) has improved culture and cooperation in our IT department significantly.

What needs improvement?

Better dashboards and reporting: About deployed versions, planned deployments, waiting deployments, and so on.

Infrastructure discovery functionality: Scan customer infrastructure automatically and collect information about potential deployment targets (purpose is not to insert all the information manually). For example, XebiaLabs has this feature.

We have used this solution in our production environment with our first application since April 2017. Actually, we have eight applications integrated in this solution.

Solution is stable, without any platform outages. We have had a few bugs, but technical support solved those quickly.

No, we did not have any issues with scalability. Our solution runs in HA mode, with two active nodes. It is enough for our usage and current load from integrated applications.

Bugs are very quickly fixed by the vendor. Until now, it has only been a positive experience from our point of view. Also, a platform upgrade was solved with an onsite vendor consultant. Activity was difficult, but it was done without any problems.

As a general statement, we can say that we are satisfied with CA Automic support in all areas that we are cooperating.

We have used only custom deployment scripts (each team has their scripts, we did not have any standards for that), for a solution like this. Major reason for this purchase was our DevOps project. As a short introduction to this project, we started our DevOps transformation at our bank and we were solving problems like build automation, provisioning automation, test automation, and deployment automation as well. We wanted to have one complex DevOps delivery pipeline which consists of all of these interconnected tools, and we made it.

Initial preparation and installation took three months and was very complex. We wanted to prepare the HA and a stable environment, which would need to be ready for massive usage. Actually, we have already integrated eight applications and run over 1000 automated deployments.

They should use a deployment target (or agent) licensing model and start their implementations with a lower number of agents in the beginning.

Yes, for sure. We did more PoCs during the analysis phase of our DevOps project last year. We were testing products: IBM UrbanCode, CA Release Automation, XL Deploy from XebiaLabs, HPE Codar and the winner - Automic ARA.

What other advice do I have?

This product is very strong and, on the other hand, very complex. So they should involve more technical people in the beginning to ensure knowledge transfer, and continuous and quick integrations of applications into this solution. The best option is to create a dedicated automation team before the implementation.

The second important thing is that this solution provides only automated deployment and some orchestration as well, but deployment depends on all steps before, such as build and artifact preparation, testing, and provisioning. So others should use at least the automated build and artifact preparation and interconnect it with deployment. Then, they could achieve bigger benefits from automation.