Schedule a 30-minute demo or reference call with a real user from the PeerSpot community. Available only to members that are in a buying process for this product and have contributed a review that's then published.

Automic Workload Automation OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Automic Workload Automation is #5 ranked solution in top Workload Automation tools. IT Central Station users give Automic Workload Automation an average rating of 8 out of 10. Automic Workload Automation is most commonly compared to Control-M:Automic Workload Automation vs Control-M. Automic Workload Automation is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 86% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.
What is Automic Workload Automation?

Deliver the fully agile enterprise using CA Automic Workload Automation

The modern enterprise needs to orchestrate a complex, diverse landscape of applications, platforms and technologies. Workload automation can prove a critical differentiator, but only if it provides intelligent automation driven by data analytics.

The IT landscape is currently more complex than ever: Islands of automation are a barrier to scaling and standardizing your workload activities. Processing errors are common because of manual handoffs. And the lack of an end-to-end view of the business process make inefficiencies and problems difficult to resolve. In addition to this, you are operating 24x7 and cannot find maintenance windows to upgrade your infrastructure in order to innovate.

CA Automic Workload Automation gives you the agility, speed, visibility and scalability needed to respond to the constantly changing technology landscape. It centrally manages and automates the execution of business processes end-to-end; across mainframe, cloud and hybrid environments in a way that never stops—even when doing an upgrade to the next version.

Automic Workload Automation was previously known as Automic Dollar Universe.

Download the Workload Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Automic Workload Automation Customers

ING, Adidas, 84.51, ESB

Automic Workload Automation Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Automic Workload Automation pricing:
  • "There are different licensing fees for cases where high availability is important."
  • "There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees."
  • "It costs too much. That's why we are now looking at other products."
  • "They have changed the pricing on their licensing, and it's cheaper than before."

Automic Workload Automation Reviews

Marcos L. Domingos
Support Analyst, Lead at Sonda IT
Good integration, responsive support, and a short learning curve

• "The monitoring and troubleshooting features are rich and with the dashboards and other features, automation work is made easier."
  • "In most of the packages available, it took time to study and gain knowledge of the features and resources due to poor documentation."

What is our primary use case?

We have several corporate solutions that need to be integrated with our ITSM products.

Automic facilitates integration to ensure the correct execution of ITIL process workflows. The first was to create service offerings for provisioning virtual machines in both private and public cloud environments.

The creation of virtual machines would have to contemplate the current process of changes, releases, and configurations. Our service catalog should make service offerings available; these involved diverse operating systems, different hardware configurations, and some functioning web services.

An approval process would also be contemplated, where the main steps would be the registration and closing of the change tickets, as well as the registration and deactivation of the generated configuration items.

How has it helped my organization?

We have several solutions, but we opted for Automic following the natural evolution of CA Process Automation. The fact that it has native integration with ITSM solutions was also an important factor in the decision. Due to the various possible integrations, all of them need to be in accordance with the ITIL process. This would facilitate the actions that would come in order to implement a DevOps culture in the organization.

The service support is acceptable and response times are fast, whether from the manufacturer itself or from partners.

What is most valuable?

Due to the fact that we have several solutions to be integrated into the ITSM processes, the possibility of having multiple client areas is important because it favors organizing integrations and automations.

We have other products from Broadcom (CA Technologies) in operation, and integration with these products was very smooth. It integrates easily with CA Service Desk Manager, CA Service Catalog and CA Process Automation, and more.

Adding that to the various packages and plugins available at Marketplace, the learning curve to make automation work was very fast.

What needs improvement?

We found that some Actions Packs and plugins do not have documentation, are incomplete, or are of poor quality. In most of the packages available, it took time to study and gain knowledge of the features and resources due to poor documentation. This time could be reduced if the documentation was more complete.

If the documentation is not well built, there will always be extra time for testing and some of these generate doubts that turn a simple job into something complex. With the project's schedules in progress, it is difficult to set deadlines, even if they are adjusted for more.

I have been using Automic Workload Automation for two years.

The product demonstrates excellent stability, regardless of whether the installation has high availability or not. We have not seen any problems in this regard.

It is a product that scales easily, but with a short aggregate in its version with high availability.

The most experienced support team is international. Some professionals at the time of implantation are no longer available. The service responds quickly to doubts and so far we have had no difficulties in this regard.

We have also used CA Process Automation, MS System Center Orchestrator, and Control-M.

Complexity only exists when installing high availability. Support from the manufacturer was required.

It was through a Broadcom partner. The team was very experienced in the product, including with use cases in a company in the same area in which our organization operates.

We don't have enough time to calculate ROI yet, but we are optimistic.

There are different licensing fees for cases where high availability is important. There is also a certain complexity in this type of installation.

We only evaluated Broadcom (CA Technologies) products.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, the user experience is extremely good. The monitoring and troubleshooting features are rich and with the dashboards and other features, automation work is made easier.

Batch Scheduling DTS, Service Delivery Lead at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy to set up, and has a powerful scripting language

• "It has its own object-oriented scripting language and you can reload your object in many different places."
  • "The vendor support is really bad and should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and Automic is one of the workload automation products that we implement for our clients.

This tool provides a great versatility of options for effective digital business automation. Integration with different platforms, ERP systems, business application, microservices, big data.

We are supporting multiple customers and their environments. Some of the most common uses are : SAP, SAP BW, Avaloq, FileTransfers, FTP/SFTP, Datastage, Informatica

What is most valuable?

It has its own scripting language which allows you to be even more flexible with the objects and create your own unique environment. You can easily have a single object with smartly defined parameters (variables) and reuse that object in many different workflows, passing different values to achieve different purposes.

What needs improvement?

The vendor support is really bad and should be improved. The engineers taking our vendor tickets are not knowledgeble enough of the product and occasionally not helpful at all. Tickets usally are bouncing back and forth with very little helpful information or investigation from their side for a issue we are experiencing/reporting.

I have been working with Automic Workload Automation for at least five years.

This is a stable product and we plan on continuing to use it in the future.

Automic Workload Automation is scalable, although it can improve on the database side. When it comes to workload automation tools, the database is always at the back of the list.

My team has approximately 25 people in it, and we have teams in America and Germany as well.

The technical support is slow, and the people that take the cases are not really familiar with the product. Most of their answers are simply "Did you check the official documentation? Did you check the knowledge base articles?"

If we are at the point that we are asking for support, most times, we would have already checked everything place that we can.

Basically, they should be faster and more knowledgeable.

In our team, we are using four workload automation tools including Automic, Control-M, Autosys, and TWS/IWS. We are supporting all of them but I concentrate on Automic because it's the one that I like the most.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is pretty easy to install this product anywhere, regardless of whether it is an on-premises or cloud-based deployment. Usually, deployment takes four hours at the most.

I have done the deployment several times, myself.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I can recommend it.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, BMC, IBM and others in Workload Automation. Updated: November 2021.
555,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Yehia Mansour
Development Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to deploy and integrates well with our CICD pipeline

• "It integrates well with the CICD pipeline."
  • "We would like a way to test our cloud-based automations on-premises, and then migrate them to the cloud after they have been tested, without needing an additional license."

What is our primary use case?

We are working with telecoms to automate workloads. The use cases include automation from inception to activation. Some use cases also deal with professional services.

Our use cases are reflected in the cloud-based Workload Automation.

What is most valuable?

The ease of deployment makes it easier when it comes to the development and testing of the automations.

It integrates well with the CICD pipeline.

What needs improvement?

We would like a way to test our cloud-based automations on-premises, and then migrate them to the cloud after they have been tested, without needing an additional license. As developers, this would help us.

In the future, I would like to see a system where each developer works on their own changes, and they are submitted to a controller. At that point, the controller has the option to accept or reject changes from each of the developers.

I have been working with Automic Workload Automation for about four years.

I use many tools in combination with this product including Jenkins, GitHub, and GitLab.

This is a very stable product and personally, I have not had any issues with it. Our vision includes continuing to use it in the future.

Automic Workload Automation is scalable. I have experience with larger companies in different regions and I can say that a high number of IT staff, between 70% and 85% use automation tools.

For this product specifically, there are between 40 and 45 users.

Personally, I do not have experience with technical support. However, I think people in our team have been in contact with them.

We did not have a plan to adopt this product and didn't even discover it right away. Rather, we followed the new technologies and came up with new strategies that led us to it.

The initial setup is easy.

The first time we installed it, the process took between 30 and 45 minutes. After that, we replicated the installation and to deploy it takes no more than 10 minutes.

My team is responsible for the deployment. One person is enough for the task. For the implementation from end-to-end, it should take between six and twelve hours.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

This is absolutely a product that I recommend.

Harby MAranan
Workload Automation SME at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
It is scalable and stable, but it is expensive and needs a better dashboard

• "The Zero Upgrade feature is the most valuable."
  • "Its dashboard can be improved. In version 12, they have already moved to a web-based interface from a UI. We are looking into this feature now. We are also looking for available APIs that we can use to interface the engine into our other systems. There should be a subservice facility that we can use to interface with Microsoft Teams and send out authorization on job executions. We have seen a feature like this in other products that we are looking into."

What is most valuable?

The Zero Upgrade feature is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Its dashboard can be improved. In version 12, they have already moved to a web-based interface from a UI. We are looking into this feature now. We are also looking for available APIs that we can use to interface the engine into our other systems.

There should be a subservice facility that we can use to interface with Microsoft Teams and send out authorization on job executions. We have seen a feature like this in other products that we are looking into.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

It is stable. We are not experiencing any major issues.

It is scalable. Around 30 people are using it in our organization.

We previously had platinum support, and we were very happy with their technical support. After we moved away from platinum support, their technical support is just not that good.

We only had MSTs previously. We shifted to Automic Workload Automation because we wanted to integrate SAP and other business requirements.

We are now looking into other products outside Automic because of its cost. We have shortlisted BMC Control-M, Stonebranch, ActiveBatch, and IBM.

The initial setup was complex because we have multiple endings running in every country that we manage. We also have an active-active setup and two instances running on one machine. We use it to widen our range so that we can have two engines running on the same machine.

It is currently deployed on a private cloud and on-premises. We have around ten people to maintain this solution.

It costs too much. That's why we are now looking at other products.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Automic Workload Automation a six out of ten.

BI
Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Robust, highly scalable, and easy to implement

• "The most valuable features are its robustness, it's highly scalable, and it's easy to implement."
  • "This solution's out-of-box automation sets could be improved. They could be industry standardized out-of-box, or even runbook automation processes could be useful—just some plug-and-play automation processes out-of-box. It has many integration capabilities, from APIs to databases, but if the customer sees some out-of-box automation processes in it, it could be useful."

What is our primary use case?

This solution has many use cases because it's automation, so the sky is the limit. It can be useful for any workloads—DD operation, disaster recovery, data center automation—required by the customer.

This solution is deployed on-prem.

What needs improvement?

As for additional features, a best practices library could be good. Also, maybe more technology connectors, in order to connect and run the automation, so more out-of-box integration points.

We have been dealing with Automic for around three years.

This solution is highly scalable. In our country, we have more than 30 customers using this solution.

I would rate support an eight out of ten. From a customization point of view, it requires some technical knowledge.

The installation is very straightforward. The time it will take depends on the implementation and the size of the project—it can range from one day to five days. A team of one to three people could be enough for deployment.

We implement this solution for clients.

They have changed the pricing on their licensing, and it's cheaper than before.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Automic Workload Automation a nine out of ten. I recommend this solution to others.

JR
Managing Consultant at ICT
An enterprise scheduling solution for the automation of IT processes

• "Both the stability and the scalability of Automic Workload Automation are great."
  • "There are some monitoring features that could be added."

What is our primary use case?

We have many clients in financial services. We install, implement, and configure this solution for them. They use this solution to automate financial processes.

We have roughly 100 users, using this solution. We expect to increase the number of users of this solution.

What needs improvement?

There are some monitoring features that could be added. For example, when we have some external dependencies from processes that were run the day before or one week before, these dependencies are always complicated to configure.

Workload Automation should also have better RPA features, too. I think that would definitely improve this solution. Instead of having to have a separate solution for RPA, it would be nice if Workload Automation could handle it, too.

I have been using Automic Workload Automation for more than 10 years.

Both the stability and the scalability of Automic Workload Automation are great.

Usually, we only contact support when we have issues with bugs, etc. I think some users have support for installation and configuration.

I have used plenty of automation solutions.

I made the move over to Automic Workload Automation as many other solutions weren't compatible with REST APIs. For me, it was a matter of evolution. The new solutions come with more features, more updated technologies that I can use.

The initial setup, installation, and configuration are very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. If they added some additional features for monitoring, I would give it a higher rating.

If you're in need of RPA capabilities, this may not be the solution for you. RPA can be applied for some processes, but not for everything.

Product Categories
Workload Automation
Download our free Workload Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, BMC, IBM, and more!