AutoSys Workload Automation Overview

AutoSys Workload Automation is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Workload Automation tools. It is most often compared to Control-M: AutoSys Workload Automation vs Control-M

What is AutoSys Workload Automation?

CA Workload Automation is an enterprise scheduling solution for the automation of IT processes in a heterogeneous environment. It automates and delivers millions of mission-essential services across thousands of companies worldwide. With the CA team and expert community, you get so much more than software. Work with us to get to mission-accomplished—every second of your business.

AutoSys Workload Automation is also known as CA Workload Automation, CA Workload Automation AE .

Download the Workload Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

AutoSys Workload Automation Customers

Gaumont, Mercantil do Brasil, CCEE, Hanwha Life

AutoSys Workload Automation Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Lead Consultant at Infosys Technologies Ltd
It helped us schedule jobs to run on multiple servers based on the workload

What is our primary use case?

We have used batch job scheduling and ad-hoc jobs in DEV, QA, UAT, PREPROD, and production for tier-one sensitive applications.
MF
System Architect at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
It enables us to improve our daily processing times. Tech support response times are slow.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for production.

• "This solution enables us to improve our daily processing times. We can do everything faster than before we used this solution."
  • "It is a fairly stable solution."
  • "There is a slow response time by tech support. Unless, you say it's severity level one. That will give you a two hour timing window for them to call you. It doesn't really happen exactly in two hours, but they try."

What other advice do I have?

I would not say this is for a large shop, but for a small shop it is overpriced.
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, BMC, IBM and others in Workload Automation. Updated: May 2021.
479,894 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DJ
Technology Director at The Travelers Companies, Inc.
User
The web UI is beneficial and the granular security policies allow us to cover all of our audit requirements

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use CA Workload Automation AE for batch management processing throughout the organization.

How has it helped my organization?

The tool provides added flexibility for our customers while maintaining our required control points.

What is most valuable?

The web UI is beneficial and the granular security policies allow us to cover all of our audit requirements.

What needs improvement?

Performance improvements in the UI would be appreciated. It lacks support and integration with cloud computing platforms.

RM
IT Process Automation Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides us the ability to map logic using a scripting language

What is our primary use case?

We use it as an IT process automation solution.

• "Automic Automation Engine provides us the ability to map logic using a scripting language."
  • "We automate recurring processes, keeping track of IT processes controlled worldwide."
  • "We see improvement possibilities in the processing provision of predefined evaluations or individual objects, or in the Self Service portal, which can be used by any user to monitor objects or start objects."

What other advice do I have?

Consult onsite support for the first implementation. Errors made at the beginning can only be corrected with great effort afterwards.
SK
Staff Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Helps simplify cross-dependency between MVS and Open systems jobs

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise job scheduling.

• "It has helped to simplify cross-dependency between MVS and Open systems jobs."
  • "Reduce the number of operational files. This would make the job of a system programmer supporting ESP easier."

What other advice do I have?

Great tool, excellent technical support, stable product.
Consultant with 1-10 employees
User
It has improved my organization by automating IT applications, but the WCC could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use CA Workload Automation AE r11.3.6 to automate enterprise-wide scheduling and file transfers using an FTP plugin.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization by automating IT applications. The solution is used to invoke scripts and batches across multiple systems and the dependency is managed.

What is most valuable?

Administering with the command line: The feature creates similar jobs in bulk using the command line.

What needs improvement?

Managing agents centrally (installing, changing configuration, starting and stopping, and upgrading). The WCC could be…
Senior Systems Programmer at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Calendaring for batch jobs to run on a schedule is what makes it valuable for us

What is our primary use case?

We use it for batch processing. We're a service bureau, so a number of our customers contract with us to use it for mainframe batch processing.

• "The ability to create calendars, calendering for batch jobs to run on a scheduled frequency."
  • "​The cross-platform arena, where you can run work on multiple platforms, needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate whether it performs all the functions you need for batch processing.
SJ
Sr. Systems Programmer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Facilitates secure communication between our host and other platforms

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise job scheduling.

• "The CA workload agent has gotten much better. For our organization it's important for us to communicate in a secure fashion between the host and the other platforms, and we are able to do that with our CA product"
  • "The capabilities of the product to schedule on multiple platforms, multiple operating systems."

What other advice do I have?

I believe CA had been actively developing it, enhancing it, and attempting to make it easier to use. I think it's been a good product for us, and I think others would find that to be true as well.
    IT Senior System Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    The graphical interface makes it more accessible to all end-users for monitoring

What is our primary use case?

Workload automation and job scheduling.

• "The flexibility in solving job scheduling challenges allows us to successfully integrate an acquired business’ fiscal close with our own, even though there is a lot of variance as to when they run in the calendar month."
    • "Needs better documentation with fully explained examples for some of the job types."

What other advice do I have?

This product has allowed us to provide more business value to our company by automating more processes.
    DV
    Sr IT Infrastructure Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Flexibility of scheduling jobs in PDS members, not a database, gives so many more options

What is our primary use case?

We needed to replace Allen Systems Zeke/Zebb back in 2000, since the product was not being updated anymore. ESP met our needs.

• "The customized views that each individual can create, and views that can be made free-form, makes this very popular with the programmers."
    • "It gives us flexibility when doing releases. We can make changes for one day in a PDS member, since we stage our jobs by date, and the next day the normal job definitions are run."
    • "The GUI/Workstation is weak and needs to be improved. CA is working on this right now."

What other advice do I have?

CA ESP is a solid product and very easy to use. It allows you to be very creative in what you do. It is well liked here and is very easy to learn. The customized views that each individual can create, and ones that can be made free-form, makes this very popular with the programmers.
    Enterprise Automation Engineer with 5,001-10,000 employees
    CA Workload Automation is not part of CA's strategic vision going forward

What is our primary use case?

SME for Cross Platform Agent installation and configuration. We have taken over ownership from the Unix Ops Team for installing, configuring, and administering the Systems Agents. I have also installed and stood up the Web Client. Currently, rolling it out to the general population of our company.

• "Integration with multiple services and applications across the enterprise."
    • "CA Workload Automation is not part of CA's strategic vision going forward."
    IT Support at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It has been a very stable staple for us

What other advice do I have?

The one that we actually support is the CA-7 Edition for the scheduling package. It's very, very stable, always has been. And we rarely have any problems with it, so that's great. The important criteria when selecting a vendor include * that it works with other products * stability, definitely * and that it works great in DR. If I were to advise someone who is looking at this kind of solution, I would say always look at multiple products, and decide from there. I would tell themabout the staple we've had with the CA-7 here, some people may say it's old, pre-historic, but it works great for us.
    Senior Technology Specialist at TELUS Corporation
    Ease of use helps streamline and cut down on our processing times

How has it helped my organization?

It streamlines processing really well, so we're able to cut down on our processing times.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

What needs improvement?

I honestly don't know I can't think of anything to improve.

More than five years.

Stability is rock solid. We haven't had any major issues with it, not even minor issues. It's been good.

We use technical support all the time. We would be lost without them. They're fantastic. Really good job. We're able to reach the right person to help us out right away.

I've done multiple products. I've been significantly involved…
    Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    ​Ease of use, scripting capabilities help us reduce headcount, prevent errors, self-heal

What is our primary use case?

It's our enterprise workload automation scheduler. It performs pretty well, it's a pretty stable product.

• "​It allows you to automate tasks, and reduce headcount, prevent errors, self-heal."
    • "I would like to see the Service Orchestrator, a B2B product, and maybe a process audit."
    • "They could do better supporting it. They have too many of the same type of products, so sometimes it doesn't get as much attention as it should."

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criterion when selecting a vendor is the partnership. I give the solution an eight because it has a few quirks, but it's a pretty reliable system. They could do better supporting it. They have too many of the same type of products, so sometimes it doesn't get as much attention as it should. I would advise a colleague who is looking at similar solutions to stay informed with the technology, and engage with the CA reps. I would recommend it whole-heartedly.
    Program Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We need to have things run in a very sequential order, so it is very useful that we can schedule work flows

What is our primary use case?

We schedule overnight and daily jobs, mainly on a Cc&B system. We do file transfers from outside agencies, things like financial pledges and meter readings. It performs very well. As far as the product is concerned, all of our issues are really with the system that we call rather than with the AE product itself.

• "We get better reports than we use to have."
    • "We need to have things run in a very sequential order, so it is very useful that we can schedule the work flows."
    • "There is a difference between a web interface and the thick client interface. We particularly like a thick client interface, and it has gone away."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it. Actually I do not even know another automation product. I would not know what else to recommend. I appreciate training and support from a vendor. They should come in, train us on the product, and be around for a while, or at least available, to help us with anything we should have learned or did not. Or, things we discover we need. Training and early on support are really important and we really would like to see, like the same person providing it. I would like to be able to contact him and say, "Hey, how do I do such and such? How do I attach this report to this thing…
    Senior IT Developer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We use it as a Tier 1 application supporting other Tier 1 applications

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is job scheduling. It performs admirably. It really does what it is supposed to do. I have been doing this for 19 years with AutoSys.

• "​It scales very well. We can add jobs and remove jobs. We do not have problems maintaining the product across multiple environments and multiple servers.​"
    • "We have to escalate through channels to get to somebody who knows what's going on. It takes time that we do not necessarily have.​"

What other advice do I have?

Use this product. I have used the competitors' products. I have used AutoSys. If there is a comparison, I will give them my views as to what I think of all the products. My view right now, use AutoSys. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Service * Reliability * Support * If we are able to actually contact our sales reps and get solutions and answers from them. * If we are able to open tickets and get answers to some of the easier questions. * Are they willing to come in and sit with us, and make sure we are getting things done correctly the first time.
    Workload Automation Scheduler at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Streamlines job submission and reduces the possibility of scheduling errors

• "The scheduling feature allows us to know when jobs are going to run and makes sure they run in the order needed."
    • "Without this product we would have to manually submit jobs and it would take longer. There would also be a much greater possibility of jobs running wrong and/or not at the right time."
    • "Because this product only computes processing days, it is hard when things need to be scheduled according to non-processing days."
    • "Some of the reports are either a bit hard to understand or don’t give you what you might expect to see."

What other advice do I have?

Get on the community. Ask questions.
    SP
    Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is stable, it works, and it does what it is supposed to

What is our primary use case?

We run Automator processes and applications, so we use AutoSys for batch processes. This is pretty much it. It works well. It has its issues, but we work with support to resolve our issues and get them taken care of in a timely manner.

• "The aggregator reporting utility which tells us our throughput in lag and latency."
    • "It is stable, it works, and it does what it is supposed to."
    • "​A better graphical user interface, because we have a lot of people using the client utility, and we want to get them away from that.​"
    • "Some support issues need to be addressed, but not through email, through personal contact via phone or WebEx."
    • "Ease of implementation for upgrades."

What other advice do I have?

It is stable, it works, and it does what it is supposed to. I would recommend this solution. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: support. Providing knowledge and giving us the ability to address any issues or problems of the software.
    Programming Specialist at SAIF Corporation
    Enables us to automate many functions of our operations staff

What is our primary use case?

Batch operations. Running our insurance systems. It is wonderful. It's been everything we expected it to be.

• "It has allowed us to automate many of the functions of our operations staff. For instance, we had production control staff spending two hours a day entering date parms into our daily business processes. And now, CA Workload Automation does it for us."
    • "It can run an object on our Windows systems or our Unix systems, and then send messages to the other system when they are complete."
    • "I am looking forward to more of their dashboard features. I think it would be very valuable for us to have dashboard features that could be delivered to our customers in the form of a URL, and they could refresh that URL whenever they wanted to get up to date performance metrics out of our systems."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor it really centers around the product reliability for us, and we saw that in this product. I actually sat by several people today, here at the CA World conference, that were saying they were here just to evaluate this product. I mostly told them some of my personal success stories and shared with them, that it has been a wonderful tool for automating our business needs, and that they should really consider this product.
    Technology Special Automation at CME Group Inc.
    Streamlines automation of cross-platform scheduling

What is our primary use case?

It's a cross-platform scheduler. Any kind of automation that we actually do is over different platforms.

• "Running anything in crontab, you need to put a lot of logic into it to make it work. With this product, you don't have to worry about it. You have the schedule object where you put all the dates or holidays in it, and it does it for you."
    • "It's very easy to work with. The learning curve is not that steep."
    • "I would like to see two-factor authentication, since you see a lot of companies in the news for security breaches. That is a really big thing for us."

What other advice do I have?

We've been using the product for 12, 13 years, so it's been a while. My most important criterion when selecting a vendor is stability. in general. We want to make sure our customers who use the system never have any downtime. Give it a try. Test it out. Set up a system, play around with it. It's very easy to work with. The learning curve is not that steep.
    Senior Operations Analyst at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Inherit Dependencies feature reduces scheduling errors for holiday processing

How has it helped my organization?

Cross-platform functionality.

What is most valuable?

Inherit Dependencies. Reduces scheduling errors for holiday processing.

What needs improvement?

Documentation and cross-application externals.

No issues.

No issues.

Excellent.

Jobtrac. We switched because of a contractual dispute.

Changing scheduling tools will never be a simple process, but the conversion tools and specialist assigned to us made it a smoother transition. …
    Senior Director Mainframe Services at Blue Hill Data Services
    The product does all of our enterprise scheduling. It works constantly and is pretty seamless.

What is our primary use case?

The product does all of our enterprise scheduling.

• "It works constantly and is pretty seamless. You do not have to open up many support tickets."

What other advice do I have?

As far as I know, the product is just doing its job for us at this point. If researching this solution and on an existing scheduler, just make sure you can convert over to this particular solution without risk. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: How we work together. I have to trust them. Also, their overall support.
      DC
      Autosys Admin at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      I prefer it for its ease of use, ease of understanding, and getting people to understand how the tool works

What is our primary use case?

We run millions of jobs through it every day using it for financial transactions, banking, credit cards, PeopleSoft, payroll, etc. We use it for everything.

• "​We run millions of jobs through it every day using it for financial transactions, banking, credit cards, PeopleSoft, payroll, etc."
      • "I prefer AutoSys over the other ones out there for ease of use, ease of understanding, and getting people to understand how the tool works."
      • "​CA installation processes are never anything but complex.​"

What other advice do I have?

It has been my go-to tool for 28 something years, and it has not failed me yet. There are all kinds of schools of thought as to what is the best scheduler to choose. I am an AutoSys proponent. I prefer AutoSys over the other ones out there for ease of use, ease of understanding, and getting people to understand how the tool works. Other schedulers do things differently than AutoSys. So, it really depends on what it is you need your scheduler to do in order for you to be able to choose which one to use.
      CA Seven Workload Automation Admin at Home Depot
      We use scalability for the mainframe schedule as well as distributive schedule

What is our primary use case?

I use the scheduling product to support the Home Depot stores here in the United States and Canada, as well as Mexico. It works wonderfully as it is very robust.

What other advice do I have?

They do a really good job for us with their improvements and new releases, especially the agents. When you are looking for at this product, you are not looking just for at the product itself, you are looking at the total package: The support for the product, the durability of the product, and the scalability of the product. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: support. By far, CA has the best support.
      Lead Ops Analyst at Total System Services, Inc.
      Handles large workloads, and we can very quickly put a lot of jobs into scheduling

What is our primary use case?

Scheduling, mainframe, workload. It has performed great.

What other advice do I have?

When we are researching different products or vendors we do a pretty thorough evaluation of all the products. They have to meet our objectives of reducing the risk and cost. Those are the two most important: risk, cost. I would recommend CA 7.
      Applications Developer
      Robust platform that does the work of dozens of people, all in one place

What is our primary use case?

Usually what we end up doing with Workload Automation is, we have a lot of different jobs: different batch scripts, PHP scripts, everything that we need to run at specific times in chains, with banner-related instances, which means different database connections. We need all the stuff to happen, we need to know that it's going to happen, and if it doesn't we need to make sure that we get logs as to why. That's usually the general work case that we have. It's performed very well. I think right now the one issue that we're having is we have a lack of documentation on it and the different jobs… more »

• "We don't have to manually run things anymore. We can have the work that a team of 50 people would do, all inside of one platform."
      • "The lack of documentation, that is an issue. When we do need to bring it down for maintenance, it is always a scary moment for us because we have never had it crash."

What other advice do I have?

When choosing a vendor, since we're a university, what is important is the cost, and then who does it benefit. Is it going to benefit the student body? If it does, perfect. It does benefit the employees, perfect. Other than that, are there any other people, any other companies that offer something similar, and what do they do. Outside of that, how hard is it going to be for us to bring them on and what does a company do with the data that we give them. That is a very important piece. If we have to give student data to that system, does that student data go anywhere? If it does, that violates…
      Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Helps us monitor critical work, track service levels, and meet crucial deadlines

What is our primary use case?

We use CA Workload Automation ESP Edition to monitor our batch jobs and workload, to process data, and in that processing of data, we make sure that we complete the jobs in a timely manner so that we meet our service levels. We also use the alerts within ESP to detect if there's a failure, if there's a long running job or, if there's an issue with the job, within the scheduler, that didn't trigger correctly, and things like that. So that's primarily what we use ESP for. It performs, it definitely does the job because it's an enterprise type of software, so it's used throughout our whole… more »

What other advice do I have?

I would say the most important criteria to us when selecting a vendor are * usability * operational friendliness * cost, obviously * and scalability, because we have a global footprint around the world in different datacenters. And it needs to be something that's maintainable or the maintenance is robust. That's something with which we've had good luck, and a good experience, with CA. I would just say, based on your use case, to see what flavor of ESP you wanted, whether it's the mainframe, or distributed systems, and then understand what kind of functionality you want to achieve from it. Get…
      IT System Analyst Senior at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Dependable, enables our developers to execute their critical processes day after day

What is our primary use case?

CA 7 Edition supplies our mainframe scheduling workflow. Automation. It's performed well over the years. Obviously we've had CA 7 Edition for decades. It just performs its job day in, day out. Very little of having to remediate any issues with 7. Obviously there are issues with jobs eventually, but those are always developer issues, with how they've coded their JCL. But, otherwise it performs well and executes as scheduled.

What other advice do I have?

For us, when considering vendors, a lot of it's going to depend on their * roadmap * ability to service and respond to customers needs * long term durability, are they going to be there a year from now, two years from now, 20 years from now? Vendors go out of business. You don't want to be in a situation where you're forced into doing a product migration to something else. Make sure you know what the requirements of your business are, and whether it's going to meet the needs of those that are going to be using and depending on the product.
      Supervisor For Support Operations at Hollister Incorporated
      We've been able to completely automate our SAP job submissions

What is our primary use case?

We use it for SAP job submission in our total environment. So far, performance has been excellent. It's been 100 percent satisfactory. We had a couple glitches in the beginning, during initial setup, but we've worked out everything, it's 100 percent satisfactory.

• "The actual scheduling of our jobs has helped us tremendously. Before it was all done manually, and we've totally automated the whole functionality, so there's no longer a case where somebody didn't run something."
      • "More benefits with the agent upgrades, and that's about it. Other than that we have no complaints with it. It's been awesome."

What other advice do I have?

When we are selecting a vendor, what's important to us are * support, that's number one * price * maintenance which all seem to be reasonably well in hand right now. I gave it an eight out of 10 because of the support and the product; it is very easy to learn. It's pretty straightforward. We actually were just advising colleagues who asked us about this product. We said it is very easy to use, it's multi-platform based; those were the main reasons, I would think. They actually ended up buying the product as well, with our recommendation.
      Infrastracture Team Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      A user-friendly solution that has flexibility and the scalability which can be used from the back-end

What is our primary use case?

We use it for running jobs of workload automation, specifically bad jobs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.
      Senior Software Programmer at American International Group
      Their technical support is very receptive to the issues that we have and resolve them in a timely manner

What is our primary use case?

It schedules application jobs throughout the night for different companies, various companies that AIG processes: American General Life, Life and Retirement Services, and several of their legacy partners. We monitor the input throughout the evening, make sure the cycles are complete, bring up the onlines in the morning, and run jobs per request.

What is most valuable?

The automation of it The triggering The scheduling of the jobs The processes We recently got iDash. So, we are starting to review iDash with CA-7 now, and we are using it.

How has it helped my organization?

Through consistently meeting SLAs, job dependencies, and requirements.

What needs improvement?

We are not ready to go to the newest release (12.0).

For how long have I used

Db2 Says Programer at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      We're able to monitor a complex workload, take care of issues before they become bigger

What other advice do I have?

When choosing to work with a vendor, the most important criteria I look for are * a long-term relationship * a partnership * willing to grow * willing to listen to feedback * support * that they'll help us do our job. I've worked with CA Workload Automation so I'm happy. I would say they're a nine out of 10 because I don't know anyone else. It's all relative. They could be a 10. I'm happy with them. I don't have any complaints. They're responsive. Make sure you partner with them. Get buy-in from your business units before implementing. I think that's one of the biggest keys to success. If you…
      Technical Consultant at Atgen Software Solutions LLP
      It provides agility with job execution. The GUI needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

I find that it provides better agility in regards to job execution features.

How has it helped my organization?

The CA Autosys has assisted our organization by providing effective backend automation for enterprise application functionality.

What needs improvement?

This product needs to improve its graphical user interface.

I have used this product for about 12 years.

Lot of automation required and need to be aligned with DevOps.

I have not encountered any issues with stability.

I have not encountered any issues with scalability.

How is

Systems Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
      We find scheduling to be the most valuable feature because we can do so on multiple platforms and we can define them once then re-use them.

What other advice do I have?

We still use the green screen on the mainframe terminal screen instead of having a Windows-based view – though it's our decision. Overall, it's a good tool for an entire mainframe environment.
      AutoSys Administrator/Engineer PS Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Video Review
      When somebody knows how to write SQL code, they don't need to know how to write scripting in order to run their scripts.

• "CA Workload Automation AutoSys Edition is one of the most powerful schedulers that you have on the open systems, or going between Window servers; to be able to schedule and take advantage of the different powers that the automation has with it."
      • "To make it a lot more user-friendly, in order to make it so other people can use it without having to do much training with it; the more user-friendly it is, the easier it is to work with."

What other advice do I have?

I think it's one of the most powerful workload automation processes that are out there. It is able to reach across platforms. It's able to reach across appliances. It's able to update. It's a matter of your return on investment. It goes right back to that. How much do you want to spend, but how much are you going to save?
      Associate Operations Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      It is stable and technical support is timely.

What needs improvement?

CA Workload Automation AE (AutoSys Edition) should have a few features like the CA7 FQJOB command (to get all the downstream/upstream jobs with the batch current position).

I have used this solution for seven years.

We have not encountered any stability issues with the supported versions.

We have not encountered any scalability issues with the supported versions.

Technical support is 9/10; good and timely support.

It is a bit costly. (Again, it all depends on the enterprise and the…
      Technology Operations Director at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Some of the valuable features are the automation of patch process and reporting. SQL server clustering is not supported.

What is most valuable?

Automation of patch process SQL integration Reporting

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization by automating processes in a centralized platform. We are more productive and we can provide a better value to the business.

What needs improvement?

SQL server clustering is not supported.

We have been using the product for seven years.

Maintenance to the database must be performed to prevent stability issues.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The technical support is good.

Which solution did I use previously

Senior Associate at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Offers the ability to code schedules to run jobs in both the mainframe and distributed environments.

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to learn how to use the GUI and learn how to code the schedules. There are a lot of different ways to code schedules.
      Sr. Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Video Review
      It allows us to manage and control our ERP systems, and things like Informatica and Hadoop.

What other advice do I have?

Look really hard at what your requirements are today. Know that you're going to have a solution that you're going to be able to stick with for as long as you care to stick with it; also, something that can address audit requirements, address things like scalability, and usability. If you have to become an expert on how to make the product work and use it, then it's probably not as usable as you need it to be. Look for something that you can talk to, like you were talking to your little brother, and move forward from there. The reasons for my rating are usability, reliability, and scalability…
      Sr. Analyst Developer at Dish Network
      Video Review
      The system is programmed and designed to catch up with itself, pick up latent data, and give you accurate results.

What other advice do I have?

Based on my experience, make sure you ask a lot of questions and advocate for what your business needs are. When you get your solution, investigate it. Don't just say, like CA, like any other vendor says, "This product can do x, y and z." Don't take that at face value. Ask the right questions, because I find that in technology, especially what I experience, when people talk about what my needs are and what my product can do, sometimes they're using the same words with different meanings based on the perception of the user or the context of the conversation. I'm thinking, be clear, especially…
      Batch Scheduling Specialist at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Video Review
      Helps us watch for data set triggers.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others depends on what they're looking for, too, in a tool. If they need something like we did to go across multiple platforms, I think it's great, but I have nothing to compare it to except TWS. But I think this is a great tool, and I think it solves the problem for us anyway. It's a great tool. It's a great tool. I really like working with it. Now that we've got it and had it, it's very easy to use. I think it's easy for other people to use, too, because we had to work a lot of kinks out at first. A lot of our stuff came straight from TWS over to CA, and we just did a transition…
      Subject Matter Expert (Application Administration and Automation) at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
      Video Review
      I can schedule things in different ways. The system is stable and reliable.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Talk to other workload automation people. Get their feel for it and find out what has worked for them and hasn't worked for them. I had to learn things the hard way. I now have this amazing network of workload automation people. They're engaged and they want to help you. Talk to them and make everything a little bit easier on yourself.
      Development Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
      Video Review
      It is robust and supports high availability for the batch jobs we process on a daily basis.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely look at this product. There are a lot of key features in there that will definitely help organizations out. It really supports, and CA's been great in showing the robustness of the tool and addressing any issues with anything that you come across with it. I think there're still some more improvements in there, some things that we're finding out as we're using it, the tool. It's definitely on the higher end.
      Operations Annalyst at Dollar bank
      Scalable tool that supports mainframe systems and allows us to see jobs over the distributed servers.

What is most valuable?

The valuable feature is that it is mainframe.

How has it helped my organization?

We did not have the visibility of the distributed jobs until we used ESP Workload automation and we can now schedule them together with our mainframe jobs.

We've had stability problems with the tool.

It is scalable, but we're probably not using it to the best of our ability. We might be migrating to CA Workload Automation iDash.

I haven’t used technical support, but one of my coworkers has used them and she’s happy with them.

I was involved with the installation. At first, I found it to…
      Analyst at a energy/utilities company
      We like the integration and auditing features.

What other advice do I have?

You should look at some of the use cases because there are so many people that have so many different setups, with so many different ways to do it. We have found the most efficient way and that is why everyone comes to us and uses our agents. In my opinion, the most important criteria whilst selecting a vendor is reliability.
      Mainframe System Administrator II at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Stable solution that uses scheduling to meet SLAs. Keeps product data flowing and jobs running without downtime.

What other advice do I have?

We have a saying at work, "If there is an issue, CA 7 is the victim, not the cause." This tool is a pretty stable product. When choosing a vendor, I look for customer service. I want them to be there when I need them. I'm not going to say that they have to have a big name, but I guess cost is a factor as well. Cost is always important. I think cost and customer service are the best things. Those are the most important factors. I need someone to be there when I have an issue, and I need personal assistance to stay up and running.
      Vice President, Enterprise Applications at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      We use it as our enterprise-level scheduling systems. We used to have scattered jobs scheduled.

What other advice do I have?

We had so many NT schedulers, like cron jobs for Unix. We know this is not right. At that time, we luckily had a new CEO. When he came on board, he said the first thing we need to do is to have some enterprise scheduling. I was actually the one who was in charge of finding the right solution. We went to IBM Tivoli, BMC Control-M; and then we also came to CA. What CA did is: instead of just selling some products to us, they actually sat down with us to understand our environment first. Then they come back to us, and say "Okay, I don't think you guys want to have AutoSys. "At that time, AutoSys…
      ESP Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      As part of getting rid of our mainframe, it's allowed us to use a distributive scheduling package. It can tie into audit systems and gives you workload visibility.

What other advice do I have?

It just depends on what they're coming from. If they're coming from the mainframe flavor, just know that they are similar, but there are still some very glaring differences that you have to accommodate to.
      Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The WCC shows the status of job flows and job failures. Duration is not displayed in the GUI.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework, and be ready for a challenge. Anytime you switch tools, it's going to be a challenge.
      Batch Scheduling Specialist at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      It streamlined our scheduling and cut down our overall run time.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try and call me if you need. I'm open to questions and helping. It's been a great workload automation tool for us.
      Scheduling Support at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Enables the monitoring of complex workloads with high visibility.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor, I suggest looking for long-term relationships, a partnership. You want a vendor who is willing to grow, willing to listen to feedback, offers support, and help us do our job. Make sure you partner with them. Get buy-in from your business units before implementing. I think that's one of the biggest things to success, is let CA get the buy-in for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Let CA explain their own product. Get the buy-in first, then move forward so you don't have the resentment of the business units thinking you forced the solution upon them.
      Director at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It has top-notch scheduling features and functionality. The advanced GUI has the flexibility to schedule jobs on various business needs.

What other advice do I have?

Look for industry trends, overall deployment, scale and scope, features and functionality and vendor support structure/relationship.
      Associate Director / Global Technology Services at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It's our hub for all our job scheduling, so basically everything we do goes through there.
      Sr Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      Video Review
      Valuable features include it's speed, uptime and consistency.

What other advice do I have?

I would give AutoSys a 10/10. Best practices are to plan your workflow. Try to plan where you have as less intervention as you can possibly use. Use the product and the triggers, the timing base events, use the calendars and try to make it flow as smooth as possible. Don't put something that's troublesome into your production environment. Work it out in tests and UAT or development. Even try it in your sandbox if necessary but don't bring it to production. When it comes to production, if it doesn't work, send it back. You don't want these problems in production. At the shop I work with, we…
      Autosys Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Video Review
      The benefits are that it's automated, reporting facilities are terrific, and it's easy to report incidents if a job fails.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: at least 9.5, 9.6/10 for sure. I probably shouldn't say 10 because I want to give CA something to work at and work towards, so 9.9. I heartily recommended them, even if they had software such as the Terma Labs JAWS or something else, to really very seriously consider looking at iDash for the lot of features, it's so easy to use, I said "CA will be very glad to a proof of concept test trial install for you, and then you can do a comparison." I didn't try to push people, say "Oh, iDash is a lot better." I said "I think they should decide for themselves." But I think it'll be evident once…
      Architect at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Video Review
      Setup isn't complex compared to other solutions. Scalability is good as well.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: I would say 9/10 because I believe always there is a scope of implement for every product. There is nothing like everything is really best in product so yeah there is still scope of improvement with workload automation tool. So far what we are doing, we are really happy with this product. When they talk about the workload automation solutions, we definitely try to explain how better it can be having worked with the CA producs compared to others. It's pretty easy because most of the corportation do understand the requirement and what best that solves. The best part of the CA is it is…
      IT Manager at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
      It extracts and externalizes data without having to be reengineered, which keeps the mainframe people happy.
      Senior Systems Engineer at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
      The reporting facility of the product helps me to identify problematic jobs in the environment. The graphical interface is not 24/7 for us.

What other advice do I have?

One piece of advice I can give is training. You need to have some sort of a background in this in order to use this product effectively. If you're not trained up, you're not going to be successful with it.
      Mainframe Storage Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      I use it with CA Process Automation to bring over my replication from New Jersey to Texas without ever doing anything manually.

What other advice do I have?

I'm sure 90% of the world uses CA 7, so it's a known product.
      Systems Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      The security features are top notch. The job flow, however, could use a little more improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Although there were some doubts during our upgrade, I think this turned out to be the best product, as long as you're prepared and have your servers ready to go.
      Managing Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
      It provides us with automated management of a high volume of workloads across our enterprise. I think the interface could be unified in a better way.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product, but you have to have a good team to work with it. The solution is good, but you need a prepared team.
      Assistant Vice President at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      For the last 10 years, it's become more complex, but it's also bridged our platforms and gave us the ability to recover.

What other advice do I have?

Understand your needs, don’t complicate it, and understand what you are looking for. You don’t want to create an automated mess.
      Senior Manager - Application Operations Shared Services - Scheduling & File Transfer with 501-1,000 employees
      We have a robust architecture that runs over 10,000 jobs a day. I'd like to see iDASH integration with monitoring, but I believe that's coming.

What other advice do I have?

At this moment, we've been pretty long-term customer with CA. I don't think there's any product out there that we're going to be willing to switch out at the moment, given what their customer base is, what the capabilities of the product and how it fits into our model.
      Product Categories
      Workload Automation
      Download our free Workload Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, BMC, IBM, and more!