AutoSys Workload Automation OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AutoSys Workload Automation is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Workload Automation tools. It is most often compared to Control-M: AutoSys Workload Automation vs Control-M

What is AutoSys Workload Automation?

CA Workload Automation is an enterprise scheduling solution for the automation of IT processes in a heterogeneous environment. It automates and delivers millions of mission-essential services across thousands of companies worldwide. With the CA team and expert community, you get so much more than software. Work with us to get to mission-accomplished—every second of your business.

AutoSys Workload Automation is also known as CA Workload Automation, CA Workload Automation AE .

AutoSys Workload Automation Buyer's Guide

Download the AutoSys Workload Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

AutoSys Workload Automation Customers

Gaumont, Mercantil do Brasil, CCEE, Hanwha Life

AutoSys Workload Automation Video

Archived AutoSys Workload Automation Reviews (more than two years old)

Chandra Mohan Suruliappan
Lead Consultant at Infosys Technologies Ltd
It helped us schedule jobs to run on multiple servers based on the workload

What is our primary use case?

We have used batch job scheduling and ad-hoc jobs in DEV, QA, UAT, PREPROD, and production for tier-one sensitive applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us to avoid manual error. It helped us to reduce the manual efforts also. Helped us by giving alerts for long running jobs.

What is most valuable?

Virtual machine usage: It helped us to schedule the job to run on multiple servers based on the workload. It is automatically taking care of workload balance based on configuration settings.

Calendar usage is also very useful. It allows us to use our own calendar.

What needs improvement?

• It needs improvement in the high-availability side.
  • It needs improvement in WCC console and EEM console to make it user-friendly.

MF
System Architect at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
It enables us to improve our daily processing times. Tech support response times are slow.

• "This solution enables us to improve our daily processing times. We can do everything faster than before we used this solution."
  • "It is a fairly stable solution."
  • "There is a slow response time by tech support. Unless, you say it's severity level one. That will give you a two hour timing window for them to call you. It doesn't really happen exactly in two hours, but they try."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for production.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The installation process is complex, and is pretty archaic. The people who developed this had very little concern with GUI interface and it is all command line. Everything is K-space, and if you misspell a task by uppercase, lower case, etc. you just completely think that the task is different.

It is a fairly stable solution. I have not had any issue with it.

It's pretty scalable, and ready for enterprise.

There is a slow response time. Unless, you say it's severity level one. That will give you a two hour timing window for them to call you. It doesn't really happen exactly in two hours, but they try.

The initial setup was complex. It had too many components.

It is an overpriced solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would not say this is for a large shop, but for a small shop it is overpriced.

Learn what your peers think about AutoSys Workload Automation. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DJ
Technology Director at The Travelers Companies, Inc.
User
The web UI is beneficial and the granular security policies allow us to cover all of our audit requirements

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use CA Workload Automation AE for batch management processing throughout the organization.

How has it helped my organization?

The tool provides added flexibility for our customers while maintaining our required control points.

What is most valuable?

The web UI is beneficial and the granular security policies allow us to cover all of our audit requirements.

What needs improvement?

Performance improvements in the UI would be appreciated. It lacks support and integration with cloud computing platforms.

RM
IT Process Automation Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides us the ability to map logic using a scripting language

• "Automic Automation Engine provides us the ability to map logic using a scripting language."
  • "We automate recurring processes, keeping track of IT processes controlled worldwide."
  • "We see improvement possibilities in the processing provision of predefined evaluations or individual objects, or in the Self Service portal, which can be used by any user to monitor objects or start objects."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as an IT process automation solution.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

We often have to implement complicated processes. Automic Automation Engine provides us the ability to map logic using a scripting language. We have an advantage where practically all automation problems can easily be implemented within the Automation Engine.

We have had no issues.

We have had no issues.

Technical support is always very helpful, though we do not use it often.

All our problems have been resolved so far. Tips have also been provided on how we can handle a problem.

We had scheduled jobs on a mainframe system. By replacing the mainframe with a Unix system, we also changed the scheduler.

The setup of the system was relatively easy.

We had good local support from Automic.

Everyone has to decide for themselves which licensing model is best suited to their environment.

We evaluated between different scheduling systems. We finally decided on the Automic solution.

What other advice do I have?

Consult onsite support for the first implementation. Errors made at the beginning can only be corrected with great effort afterwards.

SK
Staff Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Helps simplify cross-dependency between MVS and Open systems jobs

• "It has helped to simplify cross-dependency between MVS and Open systems jobs."
  • "Reduce the number of operational files. This would make the job of a system programmer supporting ESP easier."

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise job scheduling.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped to simplify cross-dependency between MVS and Open systems jobs.

Also adding new agents is easy, scheduling is easier and faster.

What is most valuable?

• Enterprise cross-platform scheduling
  • MVS scheduling

We have couple of hundred thousand jobs scheduled monthly via ESP so it is critical.

What needs improvement?

Reduce the number of operational files. This would make the job of a system programmer supporting ESP easier. In the present design, there are too many operational files to maintain.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

I would rate them nine and a half out of 10. CA technical support is doing a great job.

We had to choose an alternate scheduling tool.

It is relatively simple.

What other advice do I have?

Great tool, excellent technical support, stable product.

it_user826599
Consultant with 1-10 employees
User
It has improved my organization by automating IT applications, but the WCC could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use CA Workload Automation AE r11.3.6 to automate enterprise-wide scheduling and file transfers using an FTP plugin.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization by automating IT applications. The solution is used to invoke scripts and batches across multiple systems and the dependency is managed.

What is most valuable?

Administering with the command line: The feature creates similar jobs in bulk using the command line.

What needs improvement?

Managing agents centrally (installing, changing configuration, starting and stopping, and upgrading). The WCC could be…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• Managing agents centrally (installing, changing configuration, starting and stopping, and upgrading).
  • The WCC could be improved.

it_user814455
Senior Systems Programmer at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Calendaring for batch jobs to run on a schedule is what makes it valuable for us

• "The ability to create calendars, calendering for batch jobs to run on a scheduled frequency."
  • "​The cross-platform arena, where you can run work on multiple platforms, needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for batch processing. We're a service bureau, so a number of our customers contract with us to use it for mainframe batch processing.

How has it helped my organization?

There are certain batch jobs that need to run on a regular basis in order for our customers to receive reports and updates, and CA-7 provides that for us. So that improves the function of our agencies.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create calendars, calendaring for batch jobs to run on a scheduled frequency.

More than five years.

Stability is a 10 out of 10.

Scalability is a nine out of 10.

Technical support is a 10 out of 10.

We used punch cards back in 70s and 80s. This is the solution that took over from IBM punch cards.

I did not do the initial setup.

I certainly think the pricing is worth the value.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate whether it performs all the functions you need for batch processing.

SJ
Sr. Systems Programmer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Facilitates secure communication between our host and other platforms

• "The CA workload agent has gotten much better. For our organization it's important for us to communicate in a secure fashion between the host and the other platforms, and we are able to do that with our CA product"
  • "The capabilities of the product to schedule on multiple platforms, multiple operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise job scheduling.

How has it helped my organization?

We have worked with CA to better understand all of the security points, the ability to lock the product down so that it's not being abused or exploited in any fashion.

What is most valuable?

• Flexibility
    • Ease of use
    • The capabilities of the product to schedule on multiple platforms, multiple operating systems.

Also, over time the CA workload agent has gotten much better. For our organization it's important for us to communicate in a secure fashion between the host and the other platforms, and we are able to do that with our CA product, with ESP.

More than five years.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Scalability is a 10 out of 10.

We've completely turned over our scheduling area, and a lot of questions go to CA support. The people in the CA support for ESP have been there for a long time. I know some of them from the time when they worked for Cybermation, and they are very good. I trust their answers.

Tech support is a 10 out of 10.

Back in 2006, we were using CA-7 and we were looking for a product that would do better for scheduling off-platform. We found ESP, which was at that time owned by Cybermation, and we completed migration from CA-7 to ESP, and then shortly after that CA bought ESP. It had to do with scheduling on the distributed platform.

CA-7 was expensive and didn't do distributive work load very well. It was not that flexible. It didn't do everything we needed it to do.

We had Professional Services help us, and it wasn't really that difficult.

We did have onsite training and migration services and we paid for them. It wasn't hard to understand for our people.

I don't really get involved in that part of it. The one thing I would say is that people need to pay attention to how they use their ESP agents on the distributed platform. That's where some of the cost comes in, based on how many you need or how many you use.

At that time CA owned three schedulers and CA-7 was the one we were using. The other two did not necessarily apply to our environment. And there weren't too many others out there. I think we might still have taken a cheap route. We might not of actively compared with other products that were on the market at the time, other than comparing it to CA, and we thought we were getting a good deal.

What other advice do I have?

I believe CA had been actively developing it, enhancing it, and attempting to make it easier to use. I think it's been a good product for us, and I think others would find that to be true as well.

it_user811287
    IT Senior System Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees

• "The flexibility in solving job scheduling challenges allows us to successfully integrate an acquired business’ fiscal close with our own, even though there is a lot of variance as to when they run in the calendar month."
    • "Needs better documentation with fully explained examples for some of the job types."

What is our primary use case?

Workload automation and job scheduling.

How has it helped my organization?

The graphical interface makes it more accessible to all end-users for monitoring. It also has automated failover, and flexibility in solving job scheduling challenges.

The flexibility allows us to successfully integrate an acquired business’ fiscal close with our own, even though there is a lot of variance as to when they run in the calendar month.

What is most valuable?

• Easy to use.
    • Supports job scheduling on mainframe and distributed systems.

What needs improvement?

Better documentation with fully explained examples for some of the job types.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Excellent support, skilled support technicians.

Old solution did not have a distributed support model that was robust enough.

It was complex. We had to convert our old solution to the new one with no downtime.

I’m not involved with this aspect of the product.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

This product has allowed us to provide more business value to our company by automating more processes.

DV
    Sr IT Infrastructure Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Flexibility of scheduling jobs in PDS members, not a database, gives so many more options

• "The customized views that each individual can create, and views that can be made free-form, makes this very popular with the programmers."
    • "It gives us flexibility when doing releases. We can make changes for one day in a PDS member, since we stage our jobs by date, and the next day the normal job definitions are run."
    • "The GUI/Workstation is weak and needs to be improved. CA is working on this right now."

What is our primary use case?

We needed to replace Allen Systems Zeke/Zebb back in 2000, since the product was not being updated anymore. ESP met our needs.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Flexibility of scheduling jobs in PDS members, and not a database, gives you so many more options. ESP is a solid product and works extremely well, it's very reliable. Enhancements are always being added with new features.

You can add jobs/applications/agents in ESP very quickly; it just takes minutes to do.

What needs improvement?

The GUI/Workstation is weak and needs to be improved. CA is working on this right now; the web based GUI is in beta mode at this time.

More than five years.

ESP is rock solid. It is as reliable as it gets.

No issues with scalability.

Technical support, when it was Cybermation, was much more solid. Now that it's CA, at times the support is excellent and other times it’s not as good.

Allen Systems Zeke/Zebb had issues, and was being sold to different companies at the time. The product did not move forward.

We had Cybermation come in-house to work with us, in doing the conversion back in 2001. It took about one year to convert all of our systems.

CA pricing has been a problem, and not looked upon favorably here at all.

What other advice do I have?

CA ESP is a solid product and very easy to use. It allows you to be very creative in what you do. It is well liked here and is very easy to learn. The customized views that each individual can create, and ones that can be made free-form, makes this very popular with the programmers.

Enterprise Automation Engineer with 5,001-10,000 employees
    CA Workload Automation is not part of CA's strategic vision going forward

• "Integration with multiple services and applications across the enterprise."
    • "CA Workload Automation is not part of CA's strategic vision going forward."

What is our primary use case?

SME for Cross Platform Agent installation and configuration. We have taken over ownership from the Unix Ops Team for installing, configuring, and administering the Systems Agents. I have also installed and stood up the Web Client. Currently, rolling it out to the general population of our company.

How has it helped my organization?

Scheduling workload across multiple platforms from a single point of contact and integration with ERP/ETL type platforms and products, such as Oracle and SEQUEL.

What is most valuable?

• Flexible agent configurations
    • Integration with multiple services and applications across the enterprise.

What needs improvement?

Sunset CA-7 and stop leading people on with it.

ESP, Dseries, and now Automic are CA's strategic vision. Not much engineering being done with CA-7 any longer. As a "batch scheduler", it is and always has been a workhorse. As we all know, batch scheduling is antiquated. Workload Automation is the future and changing the product name to CA Workload Automation, CA-7 Edition does not make it a modern WLA Platform.

it_user779211
    IT Support at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It has been a very stable staple for us

What is most valuable?

Mostly its stability.

What needs improvement?

With requirements, they have "always" and "skip" on them. That would be nice, for them to have it on triggers also. So, if a customer says, "I want to demand this output, only these certain triggers," the scheduler could shut it off.

More than five years.

It's very, very stable. We've never had any problems with it.

I would give scalability a 10 out of 10.

We've used it for a couple of questions when we didn't know the answers. They were great, and very informative. We've even used it for CA Datacom. And since I was a newbie doing upgrades with that, they pretty much held my hand through it, and gave me different suggestions. So, thumbs up to them.

What other advice do I have?

The one that we actually support is the CA-7 Edition for the scheduling package. It's very, very stable, always has been. And we rarely have any problems with it, so that's great.

The important criteria when selecting a vendor include

• that it works with other products
    • stability, definitely
    • and that it works great in DR.

If I were to advise someone who is looking at this kind of solution, I would say always look at multiple products, and decide from there. I would tell themabout the staple we've had with the CA-7 here, some people may say it's old, pre-historic, but it works great for us.

Gabor Huszar
    Senior Technology Specialist at TELUS Corporation
    Ease of use helps streamline and cut down on our processing times

How has it helped my organization?

It streamlines processing really well, so we're able to cut down on our processing times.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

What needs improvement?

I honestly don't know I can't think of anything to improve.

More than five years.

Stability is rock solid. We haven't had any major issues with it, not even minor issues. It's been good.

We use technical support all the time. We would be lost without them. They're fantastic. Really good job. We're able to reach the right person to help us out right away.

I've done multiple products. I've been significantly involved…

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

What needs improvement?

I honestly don't know I can't think of anything to improve.

More than five years.

I've done multiple products. I've been significantly involved in setup. It's very straightforward. Easy installation. Just follow the steps that installation requires and that's it.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are a good reputation and good technical support.

I would suggest researching CA. It's good.

it_user779295
    Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    ​Ease of use, scripting capabilities help us reduce headcount, prevent errors, self-heal

• "​It allows you to automate tasks, and reduce headcount, prevent errors, self-heal."
    • "I would like to see the Service Orchestrator, a B2B product, and maybe a process audit."
    • "They could do better supporting it. They have too many of the same type of products, so sometimes it doesn't get as much attention as it should."

What is our primary use case?

It's our enterprise workload automation scheduler.

It performs pretty well, it's a pretty stable product.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows you to automate tasks, and reduce headcount, prevent errors, self-heal, self-service type technologies.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use
    • Scripting capabilities

What needs improvement?

In the next release I would like to see the Service Orchestrator, a B2B product, and maybe a process audit.

More than five years.

It's very stable. Just the usual database problems, but the application, normally, doesn't have any problems at all.

The system itself is not scalable but you can add multiple connections into it. You can use the APIs to integrate with other systems.

We use tech support all the time. They're pretty good. The response time from them depends on the complexity of the problem. They could do better sometimes.

It's a requirement for all large corporations to have some type of enterprise scheduler. We went with CA because they are a good partner, and they're pretty stable, and they acquire everybody else. They only have two main competitors, IBM or BMC.

Straightforward. It's not difficult.

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criterion when selecting a vendor is the partnership.

I give the solution an eight because it has a few quirks, but it's a pretty reliable system. They could do better supporting it. They have too many of the same type of products, so sometimes it doesn't get as much attention as it should.

I would advise a colleague who is looking at similar solutions to stay informed with the technology, and engage with the CA reps.

I would recommend it whole-heartedly.

it_user779103
    Program Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We need to have things run in a very sequential order, so it is very useful that we can schedule work flows

• "We get better reports than we use to have."
    • "We need to have things run in a very sequential order, so it is very useful that we can schedule the work flows."
    • "There is a difference between a web interface and the thick client interface. We particularly like a thick client interface, and it has gone away."

What is our primary use case?

We schedule overnight and daily jobs, mainly on a Cc&B system. We do file transfers from outside agencies, things like financial pledges and meter readings.

It performs very well. As far as the product is concerned, all of our issues are really with the system that we call rather than with the AE product itself.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to eliminate an overnight operator job, for one thing. He just left, but we did not replace him.  We get better reports than we use to have. Basically it runs jobs on a schedule, but we already had the jobs. It also eliminates manual job starting.

What is most valuable?

Its scheduling and its notification to us. We need to know when things are taking too long and when it fails, but we really need to schedule jobs to run. We need to have things run in a very sequential order, so it is very useful that we can schedule the work flows.

What needs improvement?

There is a difference between a web interface and the thick client interface. We particularly like a thick client interface, and it has gone away. I am finding that is disappointing to me. Now, it looks like the web interface is where all the development is going, which means it will become more full-featured than any thick clients that might be compatible with the new version. I would hate to see the thick client be left behind. I would really like to see that thick client come along.

I would really like to see a feature where if you have a variable object and you reference it anywhere, in any object or script, that you could somehow click on it and resolve the value and display it.

This is one thing I would really like to see in a new release of it. I have no idea if that has already been implemented or not, because we do not have the latest version, but I would really like to see something like that.

As far as I can tell, it is stable. We are just transferring to the AE version, but we were using Automation Manager for two years before that.

I can't recall the actual product failing in any way.

The tool can probably handle way bigger stuff than what we are doing.

We are a gas distribution company, but we also own other companies. We are only using this at one of our locations where there are several million customers. We are firing off jobs that are billing those customers, managing meter readings, and various other billing-related financials and lettering processes. We are not at a Netflix or American Airlines level. I am pretty sure we have way more capacity in the product then what we are using.

I do not think that I called technical support, though I think we have reported a software bug. There is one bug that we noticed, which is kind of annoying. So, aside from that, I do not think we used technical support at all.

I have looked up stuff on the CA Community. I might have gone into some of the Community pages to look for a solution. Nothing really memorable though.

Since we are still using the AE product and we are just transferring into it, we are still talking to the consultants, the people who actually came in and sold it to us, installed it, and trained us. So, we still have those as resources at this time. We have not really needed the Community.

As I recall, there is a transfer application from our AM to our AE. That went very well. Any problems that we had with that we probably caused ourselves, because we wanted to rename a lot of stuff, which was probably a bad idea, but I could not control that.

I think it was relatively smooth. It could have been smoother. I do not think it was a fault of the program. I think it was more our fault.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it. Actually I do not even know another automation product. I would not know what else to recommend.

I appreciate training and support from a vendor. They should come in, train us on the product, and be around for a while, or at least available, to help us with anything we should have learned or did not. Or, things we discover we need. Training and early on support are really important and we really would like to see, like the same person providing it.

I would like to be able to contact him and say, "Hey, how do I do such and such? How do I attach this report to this thing? How do I filter this?" And he would reply with, "Here are some codes you might find useful." I know these would be available out in the community, but I should not have to look it up because I am still in training. That is just one thing I would like.

it_user779085
    Senior IT Developer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We use it as a Tier 1 application supporting other Tier 1 applications

• "​It scales very well. We can add jobs and remove jobs. We do not have problems maintaining the product across multiple environments and multiple servers.​"
    • "We have to escalate through channels to get to somebody who knows what's going on. It takes time that we do not necessarily have.​"

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is job scheduling. It performs admirably. It really does what it is supposed to do. I have been doing this for 19 years with AutoSys.

How has it helped my organization?

We have ended up using it as a Tier 1 application supporting other Tier 1 applications. We schedule all jobs, everything from payroll to how to move oil around the country.

What is most valuable?

• Reliability
    • Stability
    • Expandability: It scales well.

What needs improvement?

A lot of what we want is going to be based on our particular solution, not for something everybody else could use at the same time. Different companies use AutoSys differently. They have different standards and different methodologies. A solution that we want in place would not apply to other companies.

From what we heard, the features we want are being included with the next couple of releases. One is to be able to work and create automatic ticketing solutions that are not necessarily CA products. It is just the automation around getting jobs to work correctly. If something fails, what do we do then.

I would like to be able to see the product grow into something that is going to be more reliable and better. The new purchase of Automic should help.

It is very reliable. There is always been a bump here there, but it really does well for us.

The initial contact is not very reliable. We have to escalate through channels to get to somebody who knows what's going on. It takes time that we do not necessarily have. It is because its that the support tech is not dedicated to the product and they do not know how to fix our exact issue.

We have waited years for a problem to be resolved. The tickets get closed with no resolution, and there should be a resolution but we can't get a reliable answer. We run out of patience and just close the tickets.

We take advantage of the CA Community, however it is hit and miss. There are a lot of good questions and answers, but also a lot of simple ones, where people just look at them and go, "Just read the manual. It's in there."

It was both straightforward and complex. The information gathering to get the product installed takes time and effort. Once we had everything gathered, the installs went very smoothly and quickly.

The complexity of the product has to do with the information gathering:

• What it has to do?
    • Where it has to do it?
    • How it has to interface?
    • What databases are we connecting to and to what IDs?
    • What servers are we logging into?
    • What IDs do we have to use?
    • How are the parts connecting?
    • Are there ports that need to be opened?
    • Are there firewalls that need to be adjusted?
    • Are there various things that we have to account for that we were not initially thinking about?

The documentation covers these, but it is just a matter of gathering all of them. The information gathering can take a week. The product install takes minutes.

The actual decision to install AutoSys was out of my hands, but it was recommended. It is one of the better products on the market.

What other advice do I have?

Use this product. I have used the competitors' products. I have used AutoSys. If there is a comparison, I will give them my views as to what I think of all the products. My view right now, use AutoSys.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Service
    • Reliability
    • Support
    • If we are able to actually contact our sales reps and get solutions and answers from them.
    • If we are able to open tickets and get answers to some of the easier questions.
    • Are they willing to come in and sit with us, and make sure we are getting things done correctly the first time.
    it_user796224
    Workload Automation Scheduler at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Streamlines job submission and reduces the possibility of scheduling errors

• "The scheduling feature allows us to know when jobs are going to run and makes sure they run in the order needed."
    • "Without this product we would have to manually submit jobs and it would take longer. There would also be a much greater possibility of jobs running wrong and/or not at the right time."
    • "Because this product only computes processing days, it is hard when things need to be scheduled according to non-processing days."
    • "Some of the reports are either a bit hard to understand or don’t give you what you might expect to see."

No issues.

Tech support is excellent, especially if you have a problem that gets bumped to level-two people. The level-two people are great at figuring out what happened and what you do next.

We switched from Burroughs to IBM, previously.

Complex, but we have a complex schedule.

I’m not involved in this aspect.

Yes, IBM’s solution.

What other advice do I have?

Get on the community. Ask questions.

SP
    Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is stable, it works, and it does what it is supposed to

• "The aggregator reporting utility which tells us our throughput in lag and latency."
    • "It is stable, it works, and it does what it is supposed to."
    • "​A better graphical user interface, because we have a lot of people using the client utility, and we want to get them away from that.​"
    • "Some support issues need to be addressed, but not through email, through personal contact via phone or WebEx."
    • "Ease of implementation for upgrades."

What is our primary use case?

We run Automator processes and applications, so we use AutoSys for batch processes. This is pretty much it.

It works well. It has its issues, but we work with support to resolve our issues and get them taken care of in a timely manner.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to process hundreds of thousands of jobs a month. It is pretty good. We have failover, so we maintain continuous uptime.

What is most valuable?

Probably WCC. The aggregator reporting utility which tells us our throughput in lag and latency.

What needs improvement?

• A better graphical user interface. We have a lot of people using the client utility, and we want to get them away from that. It needs to be easier to use, quicker, and more user-friendly.
    • Ease of implementation for upgrades.
    • Some support issues need to be addressed. Not through email, but through personal contact via phone or WebEx.

It seems pretty stable. We have had issues in the past and we have worked through support to minimize any downtime. Again, with the failover solution, we are able to stay working 24/7.

It seems to be there. I think we have some issues that we need to address with lag and latency. We have two instances of production AutoSys and we want to collapse that into one, so we want to work with CA to figure out a better solution of how to use the single instance to process all our workload.

Technical support has been very responsive to our needs and helped where we have needed help.

I was not involved in the initial setup. We did do a migration recently, which I worked on. That included setting up a new environment to move our workload from an older, unsupported version to the newer version. The sales and support team and technical teams were responsive and answered every question when I needed assistance.

What other advice do I have?

It is stable, it works, and it does what it is supposed to. I would recommend this solution.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: support. Providing knowledge and giving us the ability to address any issues or problems of the software.

it_user779073
    Programming Specialist at SAIF Corporation
    Enables us to automate many functions of our operations staff

• "It has allowed us to automate many of the functions of our operations staff. For instance, we had production control staff spending two hours a day entering date parms into our daily business processes. And now, CA Workload Automation does it for us."
    • "It can run an object on our Windows systems or our Unix systems, and then send messages to the other system when they are complete."
    • "I am looking forward to more of their dashboard features. I think it would be very valuable for us to have dashboard features that could be delivered to our customers in the form of a URL, and they could refresh that URL whenever they wanted to get up to date performance metrics out of our systems."

What is our primary use case?

Batch operations. Running our insurance systems.

It is wonderful. It's been everything we expected it to be.

How has it helped my organization?

• It gives us higher accuracy rates and faster performance of our batch processes.
    • Higher reliability of our business processes.

Reliability is a big one. When I go home at night I sleep well because I trust that the product will perform its design.

What is most valuable?

It has allowed us to automate many of the functions of our operations staff.

What needs improvement?

There have been a couple hiccups along the way, but then I call support and we always iron out any stability issues. It is a 24 x 7 operation product and it's highly stable.

We're currently crossing over into another insurance underwriting software product, and I see no problems with it being able to scale into this new product area.

I love those guys at tech support. In fact, I recently had a call where someone was concerned that I was upset, so they even had someone else call me to discuss with me how I felt about my call. I was not upset, but I appreciated their follow-through.

They are highly knowledgeable. They seem to be product experts.

Our old solution was losing its ability to scale. As our organization was changing, we needed a product that could change with us, and CA Workload Automation seems to be the right tool.

We chose this product for its scalability and its reliability, and the fact that it can run our business solutions on multiple platforms, in concert with one another. It can run an object on our Windows systems or our Unix systems, and then send messages to the other system when they are complete.

It was complex, but we also hired Automic business support staff to come and assist, and they helped us get through all the complexities, very easily.

We evaluated other products, but it was several years ago.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor it really centers around the product reliability for us, and we saw that in this product.

I actually sat by several people today, here at the CA World conference, that were saying they were here just to evaluate this product. I mostly told them some of my personal success stories and shared with them, that it has been a wonderful tool for automating our business needs, and that they should really consider this product.

it_user779163
    Technology Special Automation at CME Group Inc.
    Streamlines automation of cross-platform scheduling

• "Running anything in crontab, you need to put a lot of logic into it to make it work. With this product, you don't have to worry about it. You have the schedule object where you put all the dates or holidays in it, and it does it for you."
    • "It's very easy to work with. The learning curve is not that steep."
    • "I would like to see two-factor authentication, since you see a lot of companies in the news for security breaches. That is a really big thing for us."

What is our primary use case?

It's a cross-platform scheduler. Any kind of automation that we actually do is over different platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

Automation in general. You need to do less manually.

What is most valuable?

Scheduling in general. Running anything in crontab, you need to put a lot of logic into it to make it work. With this product, you don't have to worry about it. You have the schedule object where you put all the dates or holidays in it, and it does it for you.

More than five years.

Stability is great. We generally have no outages.

We're actually going to be upgrading to version 12, so we're looking forward to it.

This is probably something you don't want to hear, but support seems to be getting worse over the years. For some reason the technical knowledge is missing. Occasionally, you actually have to get all the way to Austria to actually get a resolution, which is where the product is originally from.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup but I do the upgrades. They're straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We've been using the product for 12, 13 years, so it's been a while.

My most important criterion when selecting a vendor is stability. in general. We want to make sure our customers who use the system never have any downtime.

Give it a try. Test it out. Set up a system, play around with it. It's very easy to work with. The learning curve is not that steep.

Senior Operations Analyst at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Inherit Dependencies feature reduces scheduling errors for holiday processing

How has it helped my organization?

Cross-platform functionality.

What is most valuable?

Inherit Dependencies. Reduces scheduling errors for holiday processing.

What needs improvement?

Documentation and cross-application externals.

Excellent.

Jobtrac. We switched because of a contractual dispute.

Changing scheduling tools will never be a simple process, but the conversion tools and specialist assigned to us made it a smoother transition. …

How has it helped my organization?

Cross-platform functionality.

What is most valuable?

Inherit Dependencies. Reduces scheduling errors for holiday processing.

What needs improvement?

Documentation and cross-application externals.

Excellent.

Jobtrac. We switched because of a contractual dispute.

Pricing model for distributed should have an Enterprise option.

Yes.  IBM TWS/OPC, BMC Control-M and ASG-Zeke.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend using the conversion services provided by CA.

it_user779091
    Senior Director Mainframe Services at Blue Hill Data Services
    The product does all of our enterprise scheduling. It works constantly and is pretty seamless.

• "It works constantly and is pretty seamless. You do not have to open up many support tickets."

What is our primary use case?

The product does all of our enterprise scheduling.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for a number of our clients. So far, we have had great success with it. It works constantly and is pretty seamless. You do not have to open up many support tickets. The product works very well for us.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

What needs improvement?

I am more interested in converting more schedulers over to this particular solution, so the ease of the conversion tools.

We have not pushed it to its limit.

We were being pushed by BMC, and CA came forth and gave us a lower cost solution.

The system programmer who worked on the project, he actually set it up within a week. There was a couple of tweaking, turning, and configurations that had to be done after that, but it was up and running in about 10 days. We were able to convert another scheduler over to it without an issue.

LRS, Rocket Software, and CA. We chose CA because of the support of the products and the relationship.

What other advice do I have?

As far as I know, the product is just doing its job for us at this point.

If researching this solution and on an existing scheduler, just make sure you can convert over to this particular solution without risk.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: How we work together. I have to trust them. Also, their overall support.

DC
      Autosys Admin at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      I prefer it for its ease of use, ease of understanding, and getting people to understand how the tool works

• "​We run millions of jobs through it every day using it for financial transactions, banking, credit cards, PeopleSoft, payroll, etc."
      • "I prefer AutoSys over the other ones out there for ease of use, ease of understanding, and getting people to understand how the tool works."
      • "​CA installation processes are never anything but complex.​"

What is our primary use case?

We run millions of jobs through it every day using it for financial transactions, banking, credit cards, PeopleSoft, payroll, etc. We use it for everything.

How has it helped my organization?

It has just been in use in this organization for many years. It is just a standard go-to tool for scheduling.

What is most valuable?

It works.

What needs improvement?

I do not have any features that I need to see, but there is a lot of stuff coming out and the tools that attach to AutoSys. That will be very helpful in making it easier for our customers to view and see how their jobs are performing.

It is very stable.

We are huge, so it is very scalable. We are probably one of their biggest customers.

The issues that we do have, they solve very quickly. Right now, we do not have any outstanding ones that I am aware of. Support from them has always been fantastic.

CA installation processes are never anything but complex.

What other advice do I have?

It has been my go-to tool for 28 something years, and it has not failed me yet. There are all kinds of schools of thought as to what is the best scheduler to choose. I am an AutoSys proponent. I prefer AutoSys over the other ones out there for ease of use, ease of understanding, and getting people to understand how the tool works. Other schedulers do things differently than AutoSys. So, it really depends on what it is you need your scheduler to do in order for you to be able to choose which one to use.

it_user778662
      CA Seven Workload Automation Admin at Home Depot
      We use scalability for the mainframe schedule as well as distributive schedule

What is our primary use case?

I use the scheduling product to support the Home Depot stores here in the United States and Canada, as well as Mexico. It works wonderfully as it is very robust.

What is most valuable?

• Durability
      • The secure database itself
      • Usability of it

In a billion dollar company, you want a scheduling product that is very robust, which can handle the magnitude of schedules that we run through it.

How has it helped my organization?

The security of it. It is a very secure product. As well as the scalability of it. You can really scale it across systems.

It helps us to be more agile as far as the business use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see iDASH be a packaged part of Workload Automation as opposed of being two separate packages. I would like to see iDASH be incorporated with the release of CA Workload Automation. For it to be all a complete package instead of two separate packages that I would install to enhance one another. So, we use iDASH for the recording purposes of the batch jobs that CA7 actually runs. I would like to see iDASH and CA7 become one product instead of two separate products, too.

The agent is also a different installation as well as the scheduling packages. To see all of that incorporated under one umbrella would be ideal.

More than five years.

The stability is awesome. We have not had issues in twenty years. It is just that robust, with the exception of new product/new version releases.

The scalability is awesome because we use it for the mainframe schedule as well as distributive schedule.

The support also is great from the CA company itself.

I have a CA rep that always contacts me on a quarterly basis. Also, I have support that I can reach out to 24/7.

My company has been using the CA products for years, since the start of the company itself. As our company grows, we have been growing with CA as well.

I was involved with the upgrades. They were very streamlined.

We received support from CA during upgrades which made it very streamlined.

What other advice do I have?

They do a really good job for us with their improvements and new releases, especially the agents.

When you are looking for at this product, you are not looking just for at the product itself, you are looking at the total package: The support for the product, the durability of the product, and the scalability of the product.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: support. By far, CA has the best support.

it_user778953
      Lead Ops Analyst at Total System Services, Inc.
      Handles large workloads, and we can very quickly put a lot of jobs into scheduling

What is our primary use case?

Scheduling, mainframe, workload.

It has performed great.

What is most valuable?

Its stability and reliability, that it's been there for 20 years and 30 years, and it's always been the number one scheduler.

How has it helped my organization?

We can handle large workloads, and put a lot of jobs into scheduling very quickly, and we can control a lot of workload through CA 7.

What needs improvement?

We're looking at distributed AutoSys to integrate with CA 7. And iDASH is another product that we're looking, at and we need the two to be able to talk to each other and be able to view the dependencies across the platforms.

If they can integrate the distributive side with the mainframe side, and a better view to both sides of that, that would be good.

Stability is awesome.

Scalibility is great.

Technical support is very good. We reach the right representatives.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup. They were already a CA 7 customer when I joined. I have been involved in some of the upgrades. They can be a little complex. It's just a big complex product that takes a lot of evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

When we are researching different products or vendors we do a pretty thorough evaluation of all the products. They have to meet our objectives of reducing the risk and cost. Those are the two most important: risk, cost.

I would recommend CA 7.

it_user778584
      Applications Developer
      Robust platform that does the work of dozens of people, all in one place

• "We don't have to manually run things anymore. We can have the work that a team of 50 people would do, all inside of one platform."
      • "The lack of documentation, that is an issue. When we do need to bring it down for maintenance, it is always a scary moment for us because we have never had it crash."

What is our primary use case?

Usually what we end up doing with Workload Automation is, we have a lot of different jobs: different batch scripts, PHP scripts, everything that we need to run at specific times in chains, with banner-related instances, which means different database connections. We need all the stuff to happen, we need to know that it's going to happen, and if it doesn't we need to make sure that we get logs as to why. That's usually the general work case that we have.

It's performed very well. I think right now the one issue that we're having is we have a lack of documentation on it and the different jobs that are inside of it. But the platform itself is working very well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is probably just the robustness of the platform itself, where you can go in and put any code inside of it and, as long as the server that you have it running on has the legs to be able to execute all that, it's good to go.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Again, lack of documentation, that is an issue. When we do need to bring it down for maintenance, it is always a scary moment for us because we have never had it crash. When we don't have any documentation, we don't really know what to expect if we do have to bring it down but there haven't really been any issues with it.

I'm probably not the right one to ask about features for upcoming versions mostly because we are using an old version of this product. However, if I had to, I'd probably say that it would be really nice if it had the ability to see, on a more top-level scale, what's going on inside of the system. Right now it is very granular. You do have to get very deep into the system to see what jobs are happening, when they're happening, how they're happening, if anything's failed. If they could have a more high-level view of that, that would be really nice.

I gave it an eight out of 10 because we are using an older version right now. I'm sure the newer version that they have is really great.

The thing that's preventing us from upgrading to the latest version is personnel resources. We don't have enough staff. I think after this conference (CA World) we're probably going to be setting up new servers to go ahead and update. With that, we have a lot of financial related things on our version, so shifting everything over to the new version is going to take a lot of time. We don't know exactly how it's going to be different.

It is very stable. We haven't had it go down yet so that's very nice, that's always good. We've been using it about 10 years now and we've never had any crashes.

We haven't had any issues. If we need more space, we just throw more space on the servers. If we need to have it connect to more databases or more services, there really is no issue with it.

We have used it before, however, we haven't really needed it too much. Usually, most of the issues that we would have, you can find documentation about them somewhere online. We also know that there are other universities in Georgia that use this product so we usually end up reaching out to them before we have any other issues.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing a vendor, since we're a university, what is important is the cost, and then who does it benefit. Is it going to benefit the student body? If it does, perfect. It does benefit the employees, perfect. Other than that, are there any other people, any other companies that offer something similar, and what do they do. Outside of that, how hard is it going to be for us to bring them on and what does a company do with the data that we give them. That is a very important piece. If we have to give student data to that system, does that student data go anywhere? If it does, that violates federal laws, things like that.

As far as advice, make sure that you document everything. As you're setting it up, work closely with other universities, figure out what best cases are going to be, best practices. Really just have a deep understanding of what you are wanting to do with it, what jobs that you want it to do, what processes are you wanting to map out.

it_user778599
      Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Helps us monitor critical work, track service levels, and meet crucial deadlines

What is our primary use case?

We use CA Workload Automation ESP Edition to monitor our batch jobs and workload, to process data, and in that processing of data, we make sure that we complete the jobs in a timely manner so that we meet our service levels.

We also use the alerts within ESP to detect if there's a failure, if there's a long running job or, if there's an issue with the job, within the scheduler, that didn't trigger correctly, and things like that. So that's primarily what we use ESP for.

It performs, it definitely does the job because it's an enterprise type of software, so it's used throughout our whole company. We really liked it, and we applied it throughout the whole company.

What is most valuable?

The ability to

• monitor your critical work
      • track the service levels
      • recover the work and predict the work, if it's late or not.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't really improved things because, before that, we had something similar. It hasn't not improved, but it's just necessary to use for the type of work we do.

It's definitely helped us meet our critical deadlines and things like that.

What needs improvement?

Easier user options with the web browser part of it because it's not very friendly and you can't do as much as you can on the native software. They already know that.

It's very stable. It's highly redundant. It's, like I said, very recoverable, within the batch work and it's easy to use.

Scalability, it's all based on the agents, so we have to place all these agents on different servers. That seems to be doable, so we haven't had any problems with scalability.

We have used technical support. We have small use cases that we need their help on, and we're able to reach out to CA. Tech support is good. We get a good response.

We were using a similar product before 2008, BMC Control-M. We know that's the way we need to manage the work.

I was involved in the initial setup and it's complex because you have to convert from the old software that's not CA to the new software. That was back in 2008 so it's been awhile.

I think there was a list of different types of companies. I can't remember the names because, like I said, it's been a while.

What other advice do I have?

I would say the most important criteria to us when selecting a vendor are

• usability
      • operational friendliness
      • cost, obviously
      • and scalability, because we have a global footprint around the world in different datacenters.

And it needs to be something that's maintainable or the maintenance is robust. That's something with which we've had good luck, and a good experience, with CA.

I would just say, based on your use case, to see what flavor of ESP you wanted, whether it's the mainframe, or distributed systems, and then understand what kind of functionality you want to achieve from it. Get users' suggestions, if they already have it set up, so you can get past some of those stumbling blocks at the beginning.

it_user779097
      IT System Analyst Senior at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Dependable, enables our developers to execute their critical processes day after day

What is our primary use case?

CA 7 Edition supplies our mainframe scheduling workflow. Automation.

It's performed well over the years. Obviously we've had CA 7 Edition for decades. It just performs its job day in, day out. Very little of having to remediate any issues with 7. Obviously there are issues with jobs eventually, but those are always developer issues, with how they've coded their JCL. But, otherwise it performs well and executes as scheduled.

What is most valuable?

• Dependability
      • Delivering on the execution of the jobs
      • Zero downtime

All the above are definitely important.

How has it helped my organization?

Day to day it actually allows the developers to execute their critical processes for the business, running the business. I can see that expanding in the future.

What needs improvement?

It's hard to tell what needs to be improved. That's kind of why I'm here at the CA World conference, to see what options are out there that may help our developers fulfill their needs in the future. I'm trying to get a feel for what other tool sets may be available to help them do their jobs better.

I can see the analysis piece and the web client being critical parts, going into the future. Especially with the aging population, the baby boomers going out. We're very top heavy at this point within the company. As those people age out and retire, they're taking a lot of business knowledge with them.

Stability is very good. Like I said before, very little remediation needed, close to zero. We probably have two or three tickets with CA in a year.

Obviously, scalability is dependent on the mainframe MIPS. If you need more to run the jobs, once it's running jobs, it's out of CA 7's control. We haven't any performance issues, any time recently, of it not being able to get jobs into the cues.

Customer service with CA 7 has been very good. They've helped us through several upgrades, with tickets around those. Whenever we've had issues, they've been able to point out where to look to see what potentially is affecting 7 itself.

What other advice do I have?

For us, when considering vendors, a lot of it's going to depend on their

• roadmap
      • ability to service and respond to customers needs
      • long term durability, are they going to be there a year from now, two years from now, 20 years from now?

Vendors go out of business. You don't want to be in a situation where you're forced into doing a product migration to something else.

Make sure you know what the requirements of your business are, and whether it's going to meet the needs of those that are going to be using and depending on the product.

it_user778779
      Supervisor For Support Operations at Hollister Incorporated
      We've been able to completely automate our SAP job submissions

• "The actual scheduling of our jobs has helped us tremendously. Before it was all done manually, and we've totally automated the whole functionality, so there's no longer a case where somebody didn't run something."
      • "More benefits with the agent upgrades, and that's about it. Other than that we have no complaints with it. It's been awesome."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for SAP job submission in our total environment.

So far, performance has been excellent. It's been 100 percent satisfactory. We had a couple glitches in the beginning, during initial setup, but we've worked out everything, it's 100 percent satisfactory.

What is most valuable?

The actual scheduling of our jobs has helped us tremendously. Before it was all done manually, and we've totally automated the whole functionality, so there's no longer a case where somebody didn't run something. It's 100 percent reliable.

How has it helped my organization?

It cuts down on time, where actual people have to sit down and do things. We no longer have that issue, where we would have to bring in multiple people, or even hire multiple people, to come in to run certain jobs. Now, all we have to do is schedule it and it runs just fine.

What needs improvement?

So far, the stability has been great. We do have a couple minor issues with some of the agents, as far as release is concerned, but other than that it's a very stable product.

In terms of scalability, right now we're a new customer so we haven't scaled it up to other applications yet, but we are planning to. We've opened it up for our Windows environment and they are enjoying it right now. That's a very small group, for right now, but we plan on adding close to 15,000 servers to it. So it's going to benefit us a lot.

Yes, we have used tech support, and they are very helpful. Response time is awesome. Usually when we call them, we get a response back with an hour.

Our old product that we had with SAP was more of a manual process, but our company is going to more automation-based products. That was our main need, to get rid of the manual labor and, instead, just use the automated process.

I was involved in the initial set up.

The way that it was brought to us, in our initial setup, we had a lot of initial questions and they replied, "Well, set it up the way you want it."

It was kind of confusing from an end-user support aspect, asking them what are the best practices. They didn't say what the best practices were. So we had to come up with the best practices. That was the only downfall.

There were three other vendors involved, which didn't meet our full needs because we're cross-platform. We have Windows, IBM iSeries, Oracle, SQL, all that. And this product tends to fit in more with all of our products, based on just one platform alone.

What other advice do I have?

When we are selecting a vendor, what's important to us are

• support, that's number one
      • price
      • maintenance

which all seem to be reasonably well in hand right now.

I gave it an eight out of 10 because of the support and the product; it is very easy to learn. It's pretty straightforward.

We actually were just advising colleagues who asked us about this product. We said it is very easy to use, it's multi-platform based; those were the main reasons, I would think. They actually ended up buying the product as well, with our recommendation.

it_user778509
      Infrastracture Team Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      A user-friendly solution that has flexibility and the scalability which can be used from the back-end

What is our primary use case?

We use it for running jobs of workload automation, specifically bad jobs.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility and the scalability that it can be used from the back-end. It is very user friendly.

How has it helped my organization?

It is more scalable. We run around 100K jobs on a daily basis. To manage that much workload on the system, it is very reliable in terms of the uptime on the system.

What needs improvement?

The scalability could be improved upon. According to the roadmap, this should be addressed in upcoming features.

The emailing feature that we have, when there is a figure, you fill it in. This should be an emailing feature that is enabled.

It had downtime, but Sevis has been very supportive in that aspect.

We run about 100K jobs on a daily basis, so this adds up to having more critical customers in terms of reliability.

We have used the Techno Global support when we have had issues.

I was not a part of the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

it_user778578
      Senior Software Programmer at American International Group
      Their technical support is very receptive to the issues that we have and resolve them in a timely manner

What is our primary use case?

It schedules application jobs throughout the night for different companies, various companies that AIG processes: American General Life, Life and Retirement Services, and several of their legacy partners. We monitor the input throughout the evening, make sure the cycles are complete, bring up the onlines in the morning, and run jobs per request.

What is most valuable?

The automation of it The triggering The scheduling of the jobs The processes We recently got iDash. So, we are starting to review iDash with CA-7 now, and we are using it.

How has it helped my organization?

Through consistently meeting SLAs, job dependencies, and requirements.

What needs improvement?

We are not ready to go to the newest release (12.0).

For how long have I used

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

• The automation of it
      • The triggering
      • The scheduling of the jobs
      • The processes

How has it helped my organization?

Through consistently meeting SLAs, job dependencies, and requirements.

What needs improvement?

We are not ready to go to the newest release (12.0).

It is very stable.

I do not really deal with that much. Basically, we have four processes running on four different environments.

We have gotten great support from CA. They are there whenever we need them. Whenever we open a case, they are very receptive to the issues that we have and resolve them in a timely manner.

The previous solution was very difficult to manage. The monitoring required somebody to be hands on.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

It performs really well.

it_user558510
      Db2 Says Programer at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      We're able to monitor a complex workload, take care of issues before they become bigger

What is most valuable?

We're able to monitor a complex workload, easily see where we're at in our batch flows, and take care of problems before they become bigger issues.

We had a stuck file-watcher we weren't aware of, and then because of alerting, instead of missing an SLA, we were able to reach out and get the file in time to still make our batch commitments.

How has it helped my organization?

I think just having visibility into it; our managers can see what's going on too. It's not just a single technician that's a bottleneck trying to find out where we are.

So the visibility into the workflow, and ease of use to be able to schedule.

What needs improvement?

The main push is the web UI, to be able to give it to our business users. They don't want to have to log in to a mainframe to use the product.

If we can get iDASH into ESP that would help. I know this request is the fourth... We're "in the hole," we're not even on deck. So it's going to come out to DEs, then it will come to us. That would be a big improvement, an option that we'd like to see.

No issues at all. In fact, that's actually one of the, I would say, competitive advantages of this product, the scalability and its ability to do the throughput we would need without having any delays.

We've scaled with it as far as we can grow. I've been talking to other companies that are much larger. I'm confident it could scale. If we had a tenfold growth, we'd still be okay.

I have not used tech support. Other people in my area have. They seem easy to work with. You get the documentation to them; they get back to you in a couple days with what they've found.

Yes, CA Scheduler, at that time. I think they were dropping support for CA Scheduler.

At that time I wasn't high enough up. By the time it rolled out I was happy with how I was able to get up to speed in the product, and support what I needed to support. But I was not involved in evaluating other products.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing to work with a vendor, the most important criteria I look for are

• a long-term relationship
      • a partnership
      • willing to grow
      • willing to listen to feedback
      • support
      • that they'll help us do our job.

I've worked with CA Workload Automation so I'm happy. I would say they're a nine out of 10 because I don't know anyone else. It's all relative. They could be a 10. I'm happy with them. I don't have any complaints. They're responsive.

Make sure you partner with them. Get buy-in from your business units before implementing. I think that's one of the biggest keys to success. If you don't feel comfortable let them explain their product. Get the buy-in first, then move forward so you don't have the resentment of, "Hey, you're forcing this product on us."

It's been great.

Technical Consultant at Atgen Software Solutions LLP
      It provides agility with job execution. The GUI needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

I find that it provides better agility in regards to job execution features.

How has it helped my organization?

The CA Autosys has assisted our organization by providing effective backend automation for enterprise application functionality.

What needs improvement?

This product needs to improve its graphical user interface.

I have used this product for about 12 years.

Lot of automation required and need to be aligned with DevOps.

I have not encountered any issues with stability.

I have not encountered any issues with scalability.

How is

What is most valuable?

I find that it provides better agility in regards to job execution features.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

This product needs to improve its graphical user interface.

I have used this product for about 12 years.

Lot of automation required and need to be aligned with DevOps.

I have not encountered any issues with stability.

I have not encountered any issues with scalability.

7/10

CA Technologies provides good technical support and I would give it a 7 out of 10 rating.

I found the installation process easy to follow.

Implement through vendor as special skills.

This product offers more jobs and stability.

After conducting extensive market evaluation, we chose the CA Autosys tool.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to make use of outsourced software solutions such as Atgen for ensuring a stable setup process.

it_user345702
      Systems Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
      We find scheduling to be the most valuable feature because we can do so on multiple platforms and we can define them once then re-use them.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It's given our organization stability because we're able to perform scheduling functions that provides order and predictability to our workload.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of anything at the moment.

We've had no issues with deployment.

Never had any issues, which is the main reason we use it. We don’t use other products for scheduling on the mainframe.

We’ve never had any issues. We run over 300,000 jobs a day and we have thousands of end users, at least 10,000 who can evaluate their flows and manage schedules.

We've never needed tech support.

I've always been using it, so there was no previous solution.

The initial setup was done around 30 years ago, so I don't know whether it was simple or complex.

When we look for new products, the user functionality and ease of use are important, as is making sure it's stable. The knowledge transfer is easy.

What other advice do I have?

We still use the green screen on the mainframe terminal screen instead of having a Windows-based view – though it's our decision. Overall, it's a good tool for an entire mainframe environment.

Clark Ammons
      AutoSys Administrator/Engineer PS Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Video Review
      When somebody knows how to write SQL code, they don't need to know how to write scripting in order to run their scripts.

• "CA Workload Automation AutoSys Edition is one of the most powerful schedulers that you have on the open systems, or going between Window servers; to be able to schedule and take advantage of the different powers that the automation has with it."
      • "To make it a lot more user-friendly, in order to make it so other people can use it without having to do much training with it; the more user-friendly it is, the easier it is to work with."

What is most valuable?

I've taken advantage of not only the normal command jobs and stuff like that, but I've turned them into using the proper plugins, the job types. One of the things that I have found out is that I'm the one that's using most of the job types, because I've taken away the need for writing or scripting processes. When somebody knows the database and knows how to write SQL code, or they know how to write a stored procedure, they don't need to know how to write scripting in order to run their scripts.

It's a little bit of a cost savings thing by using a plugin and using the different job types that AutoSys has. It goes the same thing when you're running a web service and you want to update stuff.

Taking care of the customers is the number one thing for any client; the client that I'm with, it's the same thing. They want to make sure that the customers are happy.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit of using this product is the fact that your return on investment is major. When you don't have to teach people how to script or how to write different codes because of the way they connect to stuff, you're saving money, because you're able to put stuff into a production environment in a much faster solution.

We're also able to update our customers and let them know via apps to be able to see from using a web service to run and they log in to see what their activity is or what the status is on their stuff. It's updated immediately.

Cost benefits are amazing because somebody doesn't have to call a customer service person and sit on the phone for 30 minutes to find out the same thing they can find out in two seconds on the internet.

What needs improvement?

The product has been out since 2.0 which is when I started working with this Workload Automation and, have seen it grow to a more powerful system that has been able to resolve all types of different automation appliances.

Customer Service is as always a high quality and, have had great success with getting any issues resolved.

Great working with the Tech team.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's one of the most powerful workload automation processes that are out there. It is able to reach across platforms. It's able to reach across appliances. It's able to update.

It's a matter of your return on investment. It goes right back to that. How much do you want to spend, but how much are you going to save?

it_user660645
      Associate Operations Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      It is stable and technical support is timely.

What needs improvement?

CA Workload Automation AE (AutoSys Edition) should have a few features like the CA7 FQJOB command (to get all the downstream/upstream jobs with the batch current position).

I have used this solution for seven years.

We have not encountered any stability issues with the supported versions.

We have not encountered any scalability issues with the supported versions.

Technical support is 9/10; good and timely support.

It is a bit costly. (Again, it all depends on the enterprise and the…

What needs improvement?

I have used this solution for seven years.

We have not encountered any stability issues with the supported versions.

We have not encountered any scalability issues with the supported versions.

Technical support is 9/10; good and timely support.

It is a bit costly. (Again, it all depends on the enterprise and the requirements.)

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated BMC Control-M.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest implementing CA Workload Automation AE.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We have a business relationship with CA.
      CLGZ
      Technology Operations Director at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Some of the valuable features are the automation of patch process and reporting. SQL server clustering is not supported.

What is most valuable?

Automation of patch process SQL integration Reporting

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization by automating processes in a centralized platform. We are more productive and we can provide a better value to the business.

What needs improvement?

SQL server clustering is not supported.

We have been using the product for seven years.

Maintenance to the database must be performed to prevent stability issues.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The technical support is good.

Which solution did I use previously

What is most valuable?

• Automation of patch process
      • SQL integration
      • Reporting

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

SQL server clustering is not supported.

We have been using the product for seven years.

Maintenance to the database must be performed to prevent stability issues.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The technical support is good.

We previously used SQL but that solution is very limited.

The setup was straightforward.

Validate how many agents you need beforehand.

We evaluated JAMS.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend that they evaluate a high availability infrastructure.

it_user611985
      Senior Associate at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Offers the ability to code schedules to run jobs in both the mainframe and distributed environments.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of coding up schedules to run jobs in both the mainframe and distributed environments.

Prior to installing ESP, we had to use two products: one for mainframe and one for distributed.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to consolidate our monitoring down to one particular console in one particular environment.

What needs improvement?

We need the ability to be able to have Windows user passwords changed periodically and automatically.

I have used it for 6 and 1/2 years.

When we first installed ESP, we had a few issues with the ability of jobs to have their status reported across sysplexes.

We have not encountered any issues with scalability.

Technical support is 7 out of 10, with 10 being exceptional.

We previously had Maestro for scheduling the distributed environment and CA7 for scheduling the mainframe environment.

The setup was not too terribly complex, but it did take some time to learn all the complexities of the product.

Well, the product is part of our ELA with CA, but we do have a specific number of licenses we can use for the distributed agents we deploy, so you have to be careful as to what limit you set for number of agents, so you have room to grow in your environment.

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated BMC Control-M.

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to learn how to use the GUI and learn how to code the schedules. There are a lot of different ways to code schedules.

it_user572841
      Sr. Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      Video Review
      It allows us to manage and control our ERP systems, and things like Informatica and Hadoop.

What is most valuable?

What we really like is that it's an enterprise solution and it really allows us to do the "normal work," the different operating systems and platforms, but it also allows us to manage and control our ERP systems, and things like Informatica and Hadoop, and all those good things that are coming down the line, in the way of big data and things like that.

How has it helped my organization?

The really nice thing is that, as the business grows, we're not seeing the infrastructure grow. Regardless of how much new business we keep on, the team is pretty stable. We have a dedicated team of eight people. We maintain today nine instances of DE: three production and six pre-production. We're probably going to add a couple more in 2017, but we don't anticipate having to grow the infrastructure. We'll be able to keep serving the customers the same way we have historically and we'll be able to do that into the future, without seeing any degradation in service.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see good improvement on the historical reporting capabilities. It's always been, I think, a bit of a weak point. Currently, if you know a SQL programmer, he should become your best friend, but I'd like to see it get to the point where somebody with really basic skills – where they understand the information they want – can easily extract it. That's really the big area with room for improvement.

The development team has been really good about keeping up with not only our requests but the user community as a whole. We're pretty happy about it, but that's the one exception.

It's extremely stable. We put in the Canadian systems about three years ago, and we have not had an incident in the three years that has kept us down for more than a couple of hours.

Support has been really good. If we need to call somebody, generally they're on the line in a few minutes, and we get right into the diagnostics and we're set to go again. Extremely stable; the agents are perfect. They never give us a problem at all. The servers are getting awfully close.

It's our impression that we're probably one of the larger installations in the world. We have two instances controlling our Canada operation; it’s really Canada and the rest of the world. It was suggested that we spin up the second instance, but we really haven't seen a good reason for doing that, other than we keep some of the competing lines of business separated. Other than that, it seems to scale really well and we can keep going with it.

Tech support, as I’ve mentioned, has been great. I know that CA has kept some people in support for a very long time, so they're very comfortable with the product. They know how the thing works. They know if it ever makes a particular hiccup, what's exactly causing that. We actually are on the Platinum support program, so we have a dedicated support resource. Historically, that person has been outstanding. He's always just a phone call away. He's knowledgeable not only about the product but our environment. Based on that, he can do a really, really good job for us.

Before I came to my current job, I was actually an independent consultant. The last job I worked before I came to work here was converting all the material into the system. I've been there since day one. Initial setup has always been really, really straightforward. Architecturally, the solution make sense. There's a very good separation of functions and features. The security is outstanding and because the solution is English language-based, we don't really need to go out and put in a lot of infrastructure support to do the normal stuff. Basically, if you want a job to run on Tuesday, you simply tell it, run on Tuesday, and it miraculously works.

We were in a situation where we had one of everything and we really went out to do a consolidation in the solutions that we were using. We really saw the CA solution as something that would give us the reliability and the scalability to move us forward in the future. We really didn't see that from a lot of the other solutions in the industry, so we chose them.

When we are selecting a vendor, the support is really the first and foremost criteria, and then I guess support going forward, so, the development organization: How are they addressing changes in the industry, changes in the solution? That sort of thing.

What other advice do I have?

Look really hard at what your requirements are today. Know that you're going to have a solution that you're going to be able to stick with for as long as you care to stick with it; also, something that can address audit requirements, address things like scalability, and usability. If you have to become an expert on how to make the product work and use it, then it's probably not as usable as you need it to be. Look for something that you can talk to, like you were talking to your little brother, and move forward from there.

The reasons for my rating are usability, reliability, and scalability of the solution.

it_user572862
      Sr. Analyst Developer at Dish Network
      Video Review
      The system is programmed and designed to catch up with itself, pick up latent data, and give you accurate results.

What is most valuable?

Over time we have found that if there are any issues with communication between the various components [ scheduler (eventor) ,app server (as_server) , database (event server), the agents, etc ] that when connectivity is restored, jobs start executing as desired and anything that is stuck or is in an ‘strange state’ is easily found and rectified using the tools provided by autosys.

We have found that most of the time the WorkLoadAutomationAE software requires very little maintenance and has achieved an almost 100% uptime in all the instances we have running in our DEV/TEST/and PROD environments.

IOW – Although there are many components involved, once things are setup correctly, the application performs solidly, is extremely redundant (again, if setup correctly) and has very little maintenance overhead.

How has it helped my organization?

We've just recently upgraded to the 11.3.6 Workload Automation platform. We're still implementing the pieces, but what we found is, there's a lot more reporting with it. It's a lot more stable. There are a lot more features available, that we've yet to even take advantage of.

What needs improvement?

When we first went to 11.3.6, they didn't have their agent monitoring platform produced. As of this date, we haven't even installed their agent orchestrator yet. We're trying to work to get those in. I can't specify what I would like right now, unfortunately, because we haven't fully implemented the product, so I don't know what's missing.

They have a lot of great features; these new job types that we've yet to even start implementing. Some of that's going to require some philosophical change on how we promote the code, so I don’t have hard information on it. I would just say to CA, stay on the roadmap.

My opinion, from what I've seen, is, when we started with 11.3.6 service pack 0, the initial release (now they're up to service pack 5), I've seen them address all my concerns regarding, how do we manage the agents from a centralized location and all? I think they're on the right track, but at this point, I can't say, "Wow, they're missing this key feature.", because they seem to have everything that I've been thinking about in the pipeline.

When we started the new product and we introduced it, we started getting some new alarm types and the agent went offline. The architecture about how the scheduler monitors the agents, it knows when the agent on the workload server actually disappears and it reports that. I was talking to our service engineers and so forth, and I said, "You have an alarm that goes off, that says the scheduler's lost contact with server x's agent and it's logged in a log. When it recovers, that's logged in the log, but there's nothing from an alert perspective." Basically, you have a system that alerts you when there's a problem, but doesn't alert you when it's resolved.

I said, "We don't look at AutoSys, or in this case, Workload Automation, to be the correlation engine for what we escalate, but if you're going to put out an alarm that says the sky is falling, I've lost contact with an agent, and you log that in your log." I kind of said, "It would be nice if you put out the same type of information alert, that shows that it cleared, since the log of the application shows that. You're basically saying, the sky is falling and then when the sky is caught, you don't alert us that it's all better.”

It caused a little confusion since our NOC is reaction based. We see the alert and then when it clears, they don't see that it cleared, so we have to do additional work. I've talked to CA about it. They said, "It's an interesting idea. We'll take it under advisement.", because it's not a bug, it's more like undocumented features.

What I like about the product is, we've had issues at the infrastructure level, regarding components that stopped seeing each other, or they got out of sync regarding, say, the database communications. Once the system reestablishes itself, you don't have to worry about if something happens in your infrastructure regarding, “Oh my God, my jobs are going to get out of sync.” The system does a really good job of piecing current status together and giving you accurate results. That's a good stability piece.

Our implementation is not that huge on it. It's a couple of small instances of Workload Automation that do a lot of work. From a scalability perspective, I enjoy the fact that, when we scale our networks – we have our servers that actually perform the work out in disparate parts of the company – we don't have to bring the whole infrastructure in. The application server layer of the product line really allows you to centralize the control, without having to have direct, direct contact to every single component out there. It's a nice tiered approach. I see it that the scalability is in line with where I see our company going.

Interestingly enough, with technical support, it's a huge company, so even though you have a one-to-one relationship with, maybe, your professional services or your account manager, when you call support, they don't really have that history. I found that, with a lot of companies, you're concerned about, I have to start with a tier-one person, I have to re-explain my problem.

What I've experienced with CA, over the last, say, 2-3 years that I've actually worked with them directly and their product, is, they understand that. I've actually gotten very good results, because it's not just a technical part that they see. I think that CA and their technical support for this product understands the human condition that's involved, the concerns. I don't have to worry that, if I have an issue, I have to justify my concerns about my support issue. They understand that and they address it proactively, which, for the most part, gives me an overall good customer experience using their support.

We just recently upgraded our Workload Automation. We went from 4.5.1 to 11.3.6. I think we did about an eight-year jump, in one fell swoop. It was nice to be able to help work with their teams to architect this solution in our upgrade, where we actually brought in our business needs. It wasn't just, “Hey, we're just going to replace it and move it forward.” That’s kind of like what we did, because we wanted to keep the solution as transparent to the end users that use it. We worked with the company and came up with something that makes sense for us.

What other advice do I have?

Based on my experience, make sure you ask a lot of questions and advocate for what your business needs are. When you get your solution, investigate it. Don't just say, like CA, like any other vendor says, "This product can do x, y and z." Don't take that at face value. Ask the right questions, because I find that in technology, especially what I experience, when people talk about what my needs are and what my product can do, sometimes they're using the same words with different meanings based on the perception of the user or the context of the conversation.

I'm thinking, be clear, especially if you're on the technical piece. If you're going to be supporting this, ask a lot of questions, because what I found is, after the implementation of this product, it's kind of hard to go back and re-architect it and things like that. Advocate for yourself, but it's a fine product. I advocate for it all the time to everybody, because it does what it needs to do.

I think that the product has so many moving parts and so many features that it's a plethora of great stuff, whether it gets implemented for a specific vendor really depends on the vendor’s needs. I think it's a fabulous product that you can really fine tune for what your specific business needs are. It's scalable, it can grow. You don't have to worry about re-buying a hundred different things.

To me, if you do it right, it's very easy to manage, which is great. My team that I work with, we've been working with this product for eight years now and we were talking about it and somebody says, "The great thing about this product is, when there's an issue, you don't have to worry about picking up all the pieces and figuring out what happened." The system kind of comes back online, makes the reports that you need.

Specialist63b5
      Batch Scheduling Specialist at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Video Review
      Helps us watch for data set triggers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are helping to schedule jobs and helping to watch for data set triggers.

How has it helped my organization?

A benefit of the solution is scheduling multiple jobs. We run 5,000 jobs a day, so it helps us to keep all of that in order; keep all the dependencies, everything, flowing in the right direction; any kind of events, getting all those alerts and anything that could help with making things faster; not keeping anything behind.

What needs improvement?

• Maybe just new ways to schedule things
      • Maybe a little bit more options for scheduling
      • More keywords

Things like that. That would help.

It's very reliable. I haven't had a lot of problems with it; working through the schedule; making changes; simulating; making things work.

We've had a couple problems and we've written in to them or called in to them, and they have been very responsive, helping us solve the problems. It might take a day or two, or a week, but they're always very helpful.

Recently, we had a problem with our WOBTRIGs failing because the servers and different things were having updates to them, and it would be pulled away from workload automation.

Kiki actually helped us to put some more information in to restart the WOBTRIGs more than just once and that was all we were doing. Since we've put that into our product, we have not had any more abends with this.

We knew it was time to invest in a new solution because we were having multiple abends every day. We were having like 5-10 abends every day, and we would have to restart them continuously. We talked to CA support, and they were telling us that that's not right and that we needed to add some new parameters to help with this process. We thought it was something on our side, and we did check with our guys on our floors with the different windows, the different agents. It turned out it was just something that could be fixed in ESP.

Anything new is a little bit complex. It's a great tool, now that I've learned it; just at first, just the learning curve of learning the tool; doing some things wrong, but it is a great tool and it has helped us; a lot better than our previous scheduler.

The management went out and looked at different tools and brought them in, and we looked at different things because we were wanting to run across multiple platforms. TWS couldn't do that. It was mainly a mainframe and when we were really branching out to the different distributed platforms, we needed a tool that would cover all of them and ESP was that.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others depends on what they're looking for, too, in a tool. If they need something like we did to go across multiple platforms, I think it's great, but I have nothing to compare it to except TWS. But I think this is a great tool, and I think it solves the problem for us anyway. It's a great tool.

It's a great tool. I really like working with it. Now that we've got it and had it, it's very easy to use. I think it's easy for other people to use, too, because we had to work a lot of kinks out at first. A lot of our stuff came straight from TWS over to CA, and we just did a transition of straight over. We didn't rework the whole schedule, so we did have to work out some problems with it just to begin with. Now that we've got things smoothed out, it's great.

Subject Matter Expert (Application Administration and Automation) at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
      Video Review
      I can schedule things in different ways. The system is stable and reliable.

What is most valuable?

In our use, I really enjoy things being in one spot. It's extremely easy to use. It's easy to set up. It's easy to upgrade.

Most of the time, it's easy to teach people how to use it. My developers a lot of the times get in there really quickly and they're all able to make an impact quickly.

How has it helped my organization?

There are a lot of benefits. Automating things is the future. You get to be efficient.

I'm in retail, so a lot of times, we do a lot of different jobs. You have one person doing what three people normally do. The only way you can really function is if you automate things.

It's beautiful because I can schedule things in a hundred different ways. There's generally always a solution to things with some sort of scheduling.

What needs improvement?

There has been preaching about cross-application critical pathing. It's extremely difficult for us to tell what is impacting what other items. I would absolutely love to be able to click one job and see all of its dependencies, regardless of which application that it's in, through externals. I've had a hard time getting traction on that. It was supposed to be in the most recent release, but got pulled in favor, I believe, of the web GUI. I would absolutely love to see cross-application critical pathing.

There are a couple things that they could do to make my life a little easier. Analytics seems to be a problem, so a couple of stars deducted for that, but it's probably one of the easiest tools that I manage.

It's pretty stable. In the eight years I've been doing this, I've had three major outages. One of them was self-inflicted. One of them, I'm not really sure what happened. The other one was, the database ran out of resources.

We're expected be up all the time, 24/7/365. I'm always available. Really the only time I've had outages were some sort of hardware failure. The product itself has always been very, very stable, and extremely easy to upgrade. We've been able to keep it up-to-date and make sure that we're able to take care of it.

One specific thing is, we've all moved to Oracle Exadata. I am probably one of the few systems that handles all of the database node rolling really, really well. It freezes for a couple of seconds, and then it comes right back. Every time they're like, "We're doing maintenance. We have to shut down nodes." I'm like, "That's fine; we're good. You don't even have to tell me about it. It will take care of it."

The system is very, very stable and reliable.

Scalability just depends; it depends on how much you want to spend.

The beauty of some of the product is that they license by agent. Our ETL agent runs thousands of jobs on one server, so we don't have to pay per job. Generally, when they need to put in a hundred new ETL jobs, it's no big deal. We put it in, it runs, everything runs well and does what it's supposed to do.

Generally, with first-level support, I tend to know more than they do, so it's a little bit painful. We've had some challenges with it.

At this point, when I have major problems, I've just started calling my product managers to get help with it. I guess a positive is that I don't have to call technical support very often because it's stable and it works.

I was not involved with the original setup.

I have done an entire migration and upgrade of the newer one. We started out with 11.1. That was already in place when I joined the team.

The 11.3 upgrades and everything after that, I have done. I have to say, it is probably one of the easiest tools that I have to upgrade, especially once they moved to 12.0 and they started doing in-place upgrades.

The last time when we did the migration, we got our Linux Gold Standard. This time around, all I had to do was push a couple buttons and my entire outage was 24 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Talk to other workload automation people. Get their feel for it and find out what has worked for them and hasn't worked for them.

I had to learn things the hard way. I now have this amazing network of workload automation people. They're engaged and they want to help you. Talk to them and make everything a little bit easier on yourself.

it_user572868
      Development Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
      Video Review
      It is robust and supports high availability for the batch jobs we process on a daily basis.

What is most valuable?

For workload automation, I think the most valuable feature is the robustness, being able to support high availability for as many batch jobs that we process on a daily basis.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a key one for our company. We run it as an enterprise solution; everything from payrolls, to manufacturing, to everything in the back end, is critical. We definitely can count on it being up all the time.

What needs improvement?

A couple of key features would be really being able to support a scheduler that, instead of a centralized scheduler, maybe a distributed one, so where a scheduler doesn't come down; not everything stops all at one time and so on.

Stability is actually why we selected this solution, for being able to support high availability. Otherwise, we wouldn't go to a single instance of it across the company.

Scalability is actually what supports our decision to go with it. Being able to go from supporting one organization to all our organizations across the company, has been great.

Technical support has been outstanding. They've been able to really answer a lot of the questions that we've gone to for them. Turnaround has been great. Typically, if we put in a ticket, we get a response within hours, at least within 24 hours.

I wasn't engaged in the setup, but I know there were some complexities when we first started, because we were dealing with multiple instances and trying to get it to one and so on.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely look at this product. There are a lot of key features in there that will definitely help organizations out.

It really supports, and CA's been great in showing the robustness of the tool and addressing any issues with anything that you come across with it.

I think there're still some more improvements in there, some things that we're finding out as we're using it, the tool. It's definitely on the higher end.

it_user558336
      Operations Annalyst at Dollar bank
      Scalable tool that supports mainframe systems and allows us to see jobs over the distributed servers.

What is most valuable?

The valuable feature is that it is mainframe.

How has it helped my organization?

We did not have the visibility of the distributed jobs until we used ESP Workload automation and we can now schedule them together with our mainframe jobs.

We've had stability problems with the tool.

It is scalable, but we're probably not using it to the best of our ability. We might be migrating to CA Workload Automation iDash.

I haven’t used technical support, but one of my coworkers has used them and she’s happy with them.

I was involved with the installation. At first, I found it to…

What is most valuable?

The valuable feature is that it is mainframe.

How has it helped my organization?

We've had stability problems with the tool.

I was involved with the installation. At first, I found it to be complex, but now I think it's pretty user-friendly.

We were looking at IBM. Because our industry was growing as far as using servers, CA was a better fit.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to others.

it_user558198
      Analyst at a energy/utilities company
      We like the integration and auditing features.

What is most valuable?

The integration that it provides and the auditing features are the most valuable to us. It also gives us an end-to-end solution that we can give our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

It simplifies everything and also takes human error out of a lot of things.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a better front end for job creation that does everything for you, so it also automates the process.

In addition, I would also like to see a job form, i.e., a fill-out form for the job requests. I also want to see it set up files, folders, security, policies, etc., and automate JIL creation.

Now, it has become very stable. In the earlier releases, I have seen some issues but with the current release, it is very stable. We've been very happy with this.

The product is very scalable. With the way we have ours set up, it allows for rapid extension, if needed, but we have never maximized our systems.

We have used the technical support and it's good. They're very knowledgeable and very willing to help.

We have not used any other solution before. We've been using this product for a long time.

What other advice do I have?

You should look at some of the use cases because there are so many people that have so many different setups, with so many different ways to do it. We have found the most efficient way and that is why everyone comes to us and uses our agents.

In my opinion, the most important criteria whilst selecting a vendor is reliability.

it_user558255
      Mainframe System Administrator II at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Stable solution that uses scheduling to meet SLAs. Keeps product data flowing and jobs running without downtime.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are stability, ease of use, and the use of scheduling. Our company processes approximately 200,000 jobs a day through this product. The product is very stable and stays up.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helps us meet our SLAs. It helps us keep the product data flowing and the jobs running without down time.

What needs improvement?

There is always something that can be improved, but I do like this product. It is a good product. The DevOps are there to move the tool into the future. The new path is mainframe modernization. That's where we'll be headed with this product.

In terms of stability, it’s pretty much always up. The solution stays running. We do have our company-wide scheduled outages, but that's the only time it comes down at this point. We are working towards a better solution for constantly being up and CA is working with us on that. We just converted to version 12, and that's a step in the direction of keeping the solution up.

The solution is scalable. They are creating products to help us use GUI interfaces. They are helping us to monitor the system better and keep it going.

I have used technical support, and I would rate them at 10/10. I love the guys there. I know them and they know me. They're very easy to work with. I can speak for this product and say that they know their product and they're there to answer our questions when we need them. If we have an issue, they are there.

I can’t speak much for the initial setup. I just upgraded to version 12 and it was spot on. They had the procedures and jobs in place and I just created my own procedures for my environment. I had no issues.

What other advice do I have?

We have a saying at work, "If there is an issue, CA 7 is the victim, not the cause." This tool is a pretty stable product.

When choosing a vendor, I look for customer service. I want them to be there when I need them. I'm not going to say that they have to have a big name, but I guess cost is a factor as well. Cost is always important. I think cost and customer service are the best things. Those are the most important factors. I need someone to be there when I have an issue, and I need personal assistance to stay up and running.

it_user558444
      Vice President, Enterprise Applications at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      We use it as our enterprise-level scheduling systems. We used to have scattered jobs scheduled.

What is most valuable?

What I like about it is that we use it as our enterprise-level scheduling systems. We used to have scattered jobs scheduled. They all had problems every day. The troubleshooting made a huge mess for the whole company. After we started using CA Workload Automation, everything became one integrated system. It makes the troubleshooting and monitoring much easier.

We started with Workload Automation 10 years ago. Before we started, we had about three hundred scheduler jobs distributed in different Unix systems, Window systems, AIX systems. Everyday you need to fix some problem. Once we built the Workload Automation, everything was in one centralized place.

As a management firm, every morning we have to be ready to trade, as soon as the stock market opens. To be able to trade, the nightly cycle jobs are very critical. If any one of them isn’t ready, you cannot trade at 9:30. It's always a struggle for us. For a while, we had about five people just for overnight support. After we integrated Workload Automation into our system, we are down to two people.

What needs improvement?

Like almost everyone else, we like to make it more web-available. Right now, it's a thick client so you need to have a desktop client do all the work and the monitoring. People like to just go to a browser, look for the jobs and monitor them. That is something we’d like to see. I think we're very happy with this system.

We had some problems at first. I guess every new system has some problems. That was ten years ago. We had a very good consultant from CA. He basically became a resident expert for us for three months. He basically enhanced the whole workload, and improved all those workflows for us. After that, it has been running very smoothly for us.

Our total number of jobs grew about five-fold. We used to have about 100,000 jobs a month. Now we have about a half million jobs a month.

We had one time when we did an upgrade, which did not go smoothly. I remember clearly that we had about 53 open tickets with CA in one week, but CA support is very, very good. They eventually sent us someone who was just wonderful. They sent him to our office and he sat down with us on-site, and he helped us with the whole thing. CA support is wonderful.

The technical support is absolutely the most important to us. When you manage support systems, you want to have someone who can back you up. Luckily CA support is very very good.

I think the initial setup is very straightforward itself. The migration is not. It's not because of the system. It's more because of the job itself. Our firm is about 90 years old. Over the years, it has accumulated a lot of legacy systems, and a lot of legacy jobs. You need to spend time to understand the job when you migrate to a new system.

What other advice do I have?

We had so many NT schedulers, like cron jobs for Unix. We know this is not right. At that time, we luckily had a new CEO. When he came on board, he said the first thing we need to do is to have some enterprise scheduling. I was actually the one who was in charge of finding the right solution.

We went to IBM Tivoli, BMC Control-M; and then we also came to CA. What CA did is: instead of just selling some products to us, they actually sat down with us to understand our environment first. Then they come back to us, and say "Okay, I don't think you guys want to have AutoSys. "At that time, AutoSys was famous. Our environment is not big enough. So they said, "We think the Workload Automation dSeries is actually much better for you." I was very touched by a vendor who came to us and gave us the right solution, instead of just selling us something more expensive. That's the whole reason we chose the dSeries.

If you are considering this product, I would say just go for it. The planning is like I said: the systems stuff itself is easy, but the migration is not. You need to understand what you have now before you move on to different one.

it_user558330
      ESP Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      As part of getting rid of our mainframe, it's allowed us to use a distributive scheduling package. It can tie into audit systems and gives you workload visibility.

What is most valuable?

CA Workload Automation automates across multiple platforms. We're actually getting rid of our mainframe; so it's allowed us to use a distributive scheduling package. Getting rid of our mainframe is a big deal to my company.

It enables you to tie into audit systems, gives you a lot of visibility as far as workload goes, and allows you to automate it as well.

What needs improvement?

On the mainframe version of ESP, there was a scheduling parameter called NOTWITH. If you placed this parameter on two jobs you didn’t want running at the same time, ESP would recognize that one was running and the other wouldn’t run, even if its scheduling requirements had been met. This allowed our company to combat contention issues without creating extra or false predecessor/successor relationships. The D-series, ESP-DE, doesn’t have this parameter. Once we realized how much we were leveraging this feature on the mainframe version, and that we wouldn’t have it on ESP-DE, we were a little disappointed. I’m not sure how much of an undertaking it would be to have it added to ESP-DE, but it would be very beneficial to us, as well as other DE clients that I spoke with at Ca World. Hopefully this could be added to the next release of DE and we could get it in before we go totally live in production with DE early this summer.

The secure SimLib/password feature from Autosys I was referencing gave us the ability to hide/secure environment variables by storing them on a totally different server in which security could be controlled. Once the job ran that used the environment variable, or database password, a developer or operator couldn’t see the environment variable/database password resolved in the spool file. Basically what we’re looking for is the ability to store database passwords or environment variables, on or in ESP, without them being seen by a developer or operator. We don’t want anyone to see the resolved environment variables in the spool file or to have to store them on the server. Currently we’re having to store these environment variables on the server, which isn’t a permanent solution according to our Security Admins.

It seems stable, as far as I know. It's been around for awhile, so it's a good product. From our testing, it's been fine. We have a failover situation as well that we've tested; so it's worked fine for us.

We don't have any problems with scalability either. That seems to be fine for us.

Initial setup was fairly straightforward. Well, the biggest thing was that we were already using Workload Automation ESP for mainframe; so we just took that and moved it to the distributed engine, or to the DE series. There are a lot of similarities between the two.

We compared CA Workload Automation with IBM, as well as BMC. We went with CA because we really like the interface, and the way it worked with our products that we already had in house. We did have a bunch of other CA products, and it seemed to tie in pretty well with those.

What other advice do I have?

It just depends on what they're coming from. If they're coming from the mainframe flavor, just know that they are similar, but there are still some very glaring differences that you have to accommodate to.

it_user558105
      Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The WCC shows the status of job flows and job failures. Duration is not displayed in the GUI.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility of being able to schedule the timing and frequency of different automation scripts makes it easier for us to meet our customers’ business requirements.

We use the WCC, which is an interface that sits on top of the application. That is pretty user friendly in terms of being able to see the status of job flows, job failures; and in the ability to manually intervene and fix issues. Essentially, the code you're running sends a return code, which you can configure to be read as a success or failure.

How has it helped my organization?

We're in healthcare. We need a way to automate loading the members and processing claims. Without a tool, we wouldn't be able to do that efficiently. It increased efficiency.

What needs improvement?

The most important thing is that duration is not displayed in the actual WCC GUI. I know they have some different add-on tools where you can get that information; but it would be nice to be able to see how long jobs ran, and the history for more than ten days. As is, the scheduler already starts to have performance issues when you keep the ten day history. So there are efficiency issues related to being able to keep more logs.

There are always issues with software. They have some improvements they can make. The way they're heading, I think they're on the right track.

Stability has been good since we took release 11.36. Before that, we had release 11.35. That was somewhat stable. We had growing pains because we switched over from a different scheduling tool.

It has been easily scalable. CA helped us build the Workload Automation infrastructure that we knew we were going to grow into. It was really a partnership between the two of us to make sure we were scaled correctly. We do about 10,000 jobs a week, a couple hundred thousand a month.

Early in my career, I was more on the technical side. Now that I've transitioned to management, I step in at times to help with it, but not as much.

The few times that I get involved, it's usually bad because it's an escalated incident of some sort. I think primarily my team's happy with the support they get from the resources that have been engaged; and works with them through the issues.

We were using Tidal Enterprise Scheduler. We switched over, and then had some growing pains during the transition.

My team owns setting it up, configuring it, supporting it, and all of those things.
      The first time we set it up, it was a little overwhelming because it's something different and new. I had a newer resource on it, and there was a time constraint for getting it installed. We had somebody from CA handhold us through the process.

A couple of our customers use Control M, so we considered that as well, from what I understand.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework, and be ready for a challenge. Anytime you switch tools, it's going to be a challenge.

Specialist63b5
      Batch Scheduling Specialist at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      It streamlined our scheduling and cut down our overall run time.

What is most valuable?

The ease of using the scheduling feature of CA Workload Automation ESP Edition for Mainframe is valuable to us. Also, being able to configure dependencies and trigger file related processing is a big thing for us. We're starting to get into some of the DB2 plugins as well. We just keep adding functions and learning more.

How has it helped my organization?

It has streamlined our scheduling and cut down our overall run time; not in half, but significantly. It's really been great.

What needs improvement?

We Received a 'Not active. "Scan Failed"; "The 'path/file' does not exist or not a directory" error message/email on one of our event level file triggers. Both clusters were down due to maintenance resulting in this error message. In order to make this active, we had to manually suspend and resume the event. We are requesting an automated process where no manual intervention is needed to make those event level FT's active again and/or preventing that error.
      I’d like to have the ability to restart a failed file scan on the mainframe.

Stability has been very good.

Technical support has been great. They've always helped out. Even if it took a couple weeks or a month, they've always come back with a solution.

Our company was using a mainframe scheduler that didn't connect to the distributed systems. We were porting to Windows and we needed a job scheduler that was Windows compatible. I'm not sure what other tools management looked at, but I know this was the best solution.

When working with a vendor, I evaluate their helpfulness and the quality of their technical support. Also important is the ease of contacting them and getting an answer back.

For initial setup, we had a CA team there for several weeks ahead of time. Anything is a little complex when you're going from a tool you've been using to a brand new tool. We learned a lot from them, but once we reached a few months out after the initial setup, we learned much more. There was a steep learning curve. But, it's been a great product. It's better than the previous product. Our needs were expanding, so it was where we needed to go. It has been great.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try and call me if you need. I'm open to questions and helping. It's been a great workload automation tool for us.

it_user558414
      Scheduling Support at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Enables the monitoring of complex workloads with high visibility.

What is most valuable?

Some of the features I like are:

• Ability to monitor a complex workload
      • Easily see our batch flow status
      • Deal with problems before they become bigger issues

As an example, we had a stuck file watcher we weren't aware of. Due to the alerts, we were able to reach out and get the file in time to still make our batch commitments. This happened instead of missing an SLA.

How has it helped my organization?

I think having visibility has improved things. Our managers can see what's going on as well. It's not just a single technician that's a bottleneck trying to find out where we are. Visibility into the workflow and ease of use to be able to schedule have improved our organization. I'm happy with this solution.

What needs improvement?

The main push is the web UI. We want to be able to give it to our business users. They don't want to have to log on to a mainframe to use the product. I would like to use iDash. If we can get iDash into ESP, it would be great, even though it first has to go to the DEs before it comes to us. That would be a big improvement. This is an option that we'd like to see.

No problems with scalability. That's actually one of the competitive advantages with this product - the scalability and its ability to do the throughput we need without having any delays. We have scaled as far as we can grow. I've been talking to other companies that are much larger. I'm confident it could scale if we had a tenfold growth and we'd still be okay.

I have not used technical support. Other people in my area have. They seem easy to work with. You know, get the documentation to them; they get back to you in a couple days with what they found.

We were using CA Scheduler Job Management and I think they ended support. I wasn't high enough up to be involved in the decision making process. By the time this solution rolled out, I was happy with how I was able to get up to speed in the product, and support what I needed to support. But I was not involved in evaluating other products.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor, I suggest looking for long-term relationships, a partnership. You want a vendor who is willing to grow, willing to listen to feedback, offers support, and help us do our job. Make sure you partner with them. Get buy-in from your business units before implementing. I think that's one of the biggest things to success, is let CA get the buy-in for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Let CA explain their own product. Get the buy-in first, then move forward so you don't have the resentment of the business units thinking you forced the solution upon them.

it_user494160
      Director at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It has top-notch scheduling features and functionality. The advanced GUI has the flexibility to schedule jobs on various business needs.

What is most valuable?

• Top-notch scheduling features and functionality
      • Reliability, performance and stability
      • Advanced GUI to manage the batch, flexibility to schedule jobs on various business needs

How has it helped my organization?

• Improved batch processing with PROD monitoring to take corrective actions on batch issues
      • Implemented scheduling predecessors/successors conditions

What needs improvement?

I would like to see advancement in predictive analysis, trending and reporting.

I have used it for 20+ years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is excellent.

We previously used a different solution. We consolidated into a strategic scheduling product because it is easier to manage and operate.

Initial setup is complex. It requires technical skills in various flavors of distributed/enterprise H/W, S/W, databases to implement, configure and develop high-availability options.

Review licensing calculation is based on criteria. I recommend not to license based on the number of jobs.

We evaluated other options, including Maestro, CA7, and Control M, to name a few.

What other advice do I have?

Look for industry trends, overall deployment, scale and scope, features and functionality and vendor support structure/relationship.

it_user353991
      Associate Director / Global Technology Services at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It's our hub for all our job scheduling, so basically everything we do goes through there.

Valuable Features

It's a pretty solid product. The stability of it is probably its best feature. Also, the newer versions are going to have extended job numbers.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

Upgrades to the GUI interface would be probably one of the biggest things they could do to improve. With the up and coming youth of today, they want to be on a GUI instead of on a mainframe, so a better GUI interface would probably be the best upgrades they've had. Plus the CLI could be improved.

We've had no issues with deployment since implementing it.

One of the biggest strengths is the stability of the product.

No, not really. We've had no issues with scaling it.

Technical support is very good. They're always on top of things.

Other Solutions Considered

My advice would be to compare CA to BMC. We did, and found CA to be the better product.

it_user389076
      Sr Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      Video Review
      Valuable features include it's speed, uptime and consistency.

Valuable Features

I think the speed of it, the consistency of it and that it stays up all the time. We've not had any problems with it in the last year. We upgraded to the last version and I'm here taking a look at the newest version that they've released, 1136. We're on 35. It's promised to be a better product, it's much faster and just as reliable. They also have a great web interface that we haven't deployed yet.

Improvements to My Organization

We've had bad systems from other organizations that we've adopted or bought. Workload Automation used to be called AutoSys, and it is actually a better scheduler in my opinion because of the way it schedules. With a base on dependency, events and job triggers. It works on events and triggers. Some of them automatically create jobs and they reschedule them.

AutoSys has it a little differently and it's quite easy to use. It's very easy to set up and it just launches a script anywhere that we have a local agent installed on a server. It goes throughout the world in different locations.

It also works based in Houston, at one of our data centers. We also have some people overseas and we use it abroad. It's a worldwide application that runs over 160,000 jobs throughout our enterprise.

Room for Improvement

I see room for improvement, as far as monitoring the system and having a quiet data center, when you don't have to have people monitoring and watching jobs run or watching flows going and looking for something to stop or a job to fail. I want to be alerted when we have a problem. I don't want to sit and watch a screen or have a staff of people sitting around the world waiting for something to fail. By having a so-called quiet or lights out system, where we get alerted just on these exceptions. That's the direction I'd like to see the product take. You spend a lot of quality time and money on people watching simple things happen. Lights go green, lights go red or lights go yellow. If we only saw something when they went red, those are the kind of alarms and notations I'd like to have to give to a staff of people that can handle those issues and get it restarted.

Use of Solution

9 years.

The problem has not been with workload, we do have some server outages. Also maintenance times of other products. Workload Automation is dynamic enough to put jobs in pending or put servers offline, until we get ready to bring them on. As soon as they go back online, the server's jobs start rescheduling themselves again. It's a dynamic product, it's been stable and we've never had a real outage with the product.

We have it right now operating in something called dual server mode. If we lose one end of it or one processor, the other side takes over and it picks up from where it left off. It's an always up situation. If we have to throw it back to the primary then we take it down, do an amendments window, do a quick switch over to the primary and let it keep operating.

We never really miss a beat.

As I said, we have agents, our servers, in other locations in different cities and in different countries. We are able to contact with those, schedule batch runs on those and bring the results back to Houston as far as the successes or the failures of those processes.

Technical support from CA has been very good actually. We don't need them very often unless we have a problem with some integration such as a 64-bit application and something that's foreign we're putting on a server, such as BusinessObjects or Oracle, something we haven't seen before. We'll call them for some support. Otherwise our staff is pretty knowledgeable enough and we've had CA products for about 9 years. We're pretty familiar with it on site. It's just when some of the newer products come in, integrating with those, those are the times we've had to call CA support.

As far as the product itself, just learning about some of the new features, we'll speak with their support personnel to find out they operate or how they can implement it with our staff. Once they come on site and given us some information, how-to's, then we pick it up for ourselves. We don't need support as often as we used to with the prior products.

The initial setup, what we had, was called 35 then we went to a 45 version. Now we went from the 45 to what's called R11, that was a nightmare. R11 was a pretty difficult implementation for us. A lot of things changed between the two versions. After we got over those humps, CA put out another service pack and that relieved most of our problems. I think a lot of the rest of the industry suffered some of the same issues that we had.

They were able to quickly release those within 6 or 7 months.

Other Advice

I would give AutoSys a 10/10. Best practices are to plan your workflow. Try to plan where you have as less intervention as you can possibly use. Use the product and the triggers, the timing base events, use the calendars and try to make it flow as smooth as possible. Don't put something that's troublesome into your production environment. Work it out in tests and UAT or development. Even try it in your sandbox if necessary but don't bring it to production.

When it comes to production, if it doesn't work, send it back. You don't want these problems in production. At the shop I work with, we have a 99.91% success rate. When we don't have that, we go through and examine the jobs that fail. If they failed then we have a problem, we examine and get them fixed.

Important buying criteria: reputation, longevity, how is their product and other people's opinions of the product as well. After we've test driven a product, we usually bring something in-house, drive it and see how we like it. If we have use for it, we have enough people that would take a buy in on it, find it's useful, we find it's dependable then we probably want to set something like that in as a candidate. We need to have something that's proven.

it_user389130
      Autosys Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Video Review
      The benefits are that it's automated, reporting facilities are terrific, and it's easy to report incidents if a job fails.

What is most valuable?

Most of all it automates the processes we need to get done at night. We've grown into it. We have several thousand jobs in our production environment right now, about 40,000 altogether, and that number's going to be growing because with the success that we're seeing with certain applications that have submitted jobs to the workload automation, other groups in our company are saying "Hey, we want to get onboard too and automated our processes, too."

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are that it's automated, reporting facilities are terrific, also when there is, let's say, a failure of a job, it's very, very easy to report that incident, that event, and we can certainly notify the appropriate personnel who need to be notified of that, very, very quickly.

What needs improvement?

I've wondered about certain features. Our release of iDash right now is 11.4. I have seen release 12 in the labs and presentation and I'm just blown away by the features that I see. Many of the things I was thinking about, asking about, they were already answered in the new release. CA has a roadmap and they have even more features coming in down the road which I like very much, so we're very, very happy with that, and that goes of course, for other products as well.

12 years.

No issues. Once we went from version 4.5 to 11.0 and now 11.36, we have experienced great stability as time goes on.

No problems with scalability at all. Our centralized AutoSys server are running processes, jobs on several hundred client machines without a problem, without a problem at all. We foresee a growth in that as time goes on over the next year or so.

We have great faith in the CA tech support website, and their responses to us every time we have a question, even if it's just a question on functionality, never mind it might be a problem that may come up, they respond to us very quickly; so we feel very, very secure with that. That actually is also true for many other CA products that we have at our sites as well.

If we did have a serious problem, which happens very, very rarely - we contact them by email; they've resolved every single issue that we've had.

We had AutoSys 3.4 which used to belong to Platinum Technologies, they became part of CA. I'm thinking right now compared to what it was like then back in 2004, the number of jobs was very, very small, but we knew that as we went forward with CA with the new releases that it would grow very easily with that and meet the demand, which it has done, and we don't see any problem, any limit to the software at this point.

No, not complex at all, very, very easy. One of the products I'm working on which is CA iDash, a monitor for the automation tools, is extremely easy to use, extremely easy to install, to setup, to configure and run. In fact, that was one of our reasons for going with it this past year, that particular product of the whole CA Workload Automation package.

When it comes to advice I would say that obviously cost is one factor, I never get involved with that, but cost is a factor. That's a very good question because we recently purchased iDash this year, and it's intended to replace a third party competitor software which we're using right now, and even though iDash was about 15% more, because of licensing and ease of use, that 15% more is more than paid for by the flexibility we have, because the other software we're limited to how many instances we can have of it, and how many jobs it can see - iDash, no limit at all. As many iDash instances as we want, and there's no limited to how many AutoSys environments we're going to be monitoring, and that's a real plus for not only the users but also IT management and upper management as well.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: at least 9.5, 9.6/10 for sure. I probably shouldn't say 10 because I want to give CA something to work at and work towards, so 9.9.

I heartily recommended them, even if they had software such as the Terma Labs JAWS or something else, to really very seriously consider looking at iDash for the lot of features, it's so easy to use, I said "CA will be very glad to a proof of concept test trial install for you, and then you can do a comparison." I didn't try to push people, say "Oh, iDash is a lot better." I said "I think they should decide for themselves." But I think it'll be evident once they get it in, look at it, and do a comparison. There's a good guarantee they'll go in that direction, I would think, based upon my own experiences.

it_user373482
      Architect at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Video Review
      Setup isn't complex compared to other solutions. Scalability is good as well.

Valuable Features

You see a lot of automation tools right now in the market. Whenever we try to look at the products that clients are trying to use, we try to see which one is better matched for their requirements. Most of the times, we try to gauge their level of understanding of the products as well. Workload Automation gives a lot of insight for the client, to better understand how they can actually automate the process of scheduling the jobs within their environment. Workload Automation really plays a good role. If you see every product come with its own workload or its own scheduling product so if you talk about SAP, SAP rebuilt its own scheduling product. You talk about Hulu which comes with Uzi which is its own scheduling product. Having a different scheduling product scattered around in the environment, it is really a tough for the management to have a better in-scope of seeing what actually is happening in the scheduling area.

Improvements to My Organization

Centralizing all this into a single workload automation tool using the CA product has really helped a lot of customers. This has benefited most of the users to have a better understanding of the environment. It's pretty good compared to the older versions. It actually supports a lot of new features where you can also implement in our clustered solutions and also in higher availability with more of load balancing and everything.

Room for Improvement

One of my clients who has recently converted everything from the Architecture to what they are using to the complete iPad and solutions. Deploying those solutions and integrating with them was a little challenge at this point of time. We would definitely like to see some kind of roadmap with this workload automation product, having integrations with mobility as well.

It's pretty stable compared to the older versions I would say.

The scalability - it is really good. I mean there are other products which do play the similar roles but having this workload automation in place and having a different product integrating with it whenever there is a need, you have a Windows shop today and tomorrow now most of the clients are trying to migrate from Windows to Unix. When we have that shift change happening, adding more clients and having more support for this operating systems to schedule this systems, this is really playing a lot of help in the scalability of managing this product.

I would rate them a 9 on a scale of 10. They are really good. We had a lot of help at the time of migrations that we usually plan with our clients when we do implement a solution or when we try to do the upgrades. The CA partners usually help us in even mentioning that as a hard site, because of this hard site there will be a dedicated technician who will be helping us. In order that if there is anything working during the migration period or anything like that. We don't really run around with the different people in order to get our solution done. One engineer who is dedicated to our site during that hard site period will be helping and resolving most of the issues. Support is really good with CA. Set-up is depending on the client's environment, how big and how small they are. We just need to understand that better requirements and providing that solution in order to set up this product in their environment. Makes a lot of work that we need to do in order to better understand their requirements

Setup: we can say it's not that complex compared to other products. CA has a very user friendly environment where we can actually do it in no time. Moving towards the mobility because most of the clients are converting themselves from old school sitting in front of their desktops. Everyone wants to manage through mobile products.

Other Advice

Rating: I would say 9/10 because I believe always there is a scope of implement for every product. There is nothing like everything is really best in product so yeah there is still scope of improvement with workload automation tool.

So far what we are doing, we are really happy with this product. When they talk about the workload automation solutions, we definitely try to explain how better it can be having worked with the CA producs compared to others. It's pretty easy because most of the corportation do understand the requirement and what best that solves. The best part of the CA is it is open to integrate with multiple products. It is not that we cannot integrate or we do not have anything like that. The support has more scope where they can also work with us in order to do a third party integration as required as well. I mean it's pretty easy for us.

it_user355647
      IT Manager at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
      It extracts and externalizes data without having to be reengineered, which keeps the mainframe people happy.

What is most valuable?

CA7 is very robust and one of CA's legacy products. The batch platform varies depending on who installed it. The iDash feature sits on the top of it, but we're not using that.

CA7 also extracts and externalizes data without having to be reengineered, which keeps the mainframe people happy.

What needs improvement?

It's hard to share any information out of it for data analytics or anything like that because its siloed.

Also, we tried the INS data collection feature as well as the DB2 feature (except for data presentation). We're not very happy with those.

I don't recall how long we've used it, but it's been a while.

It deployed without any issue.

We've not had any stability issues.

It scales fine for us.

We tried BMC, CA, and IBM. We tried IBM OMEGAMON for a very long time, 20+ years. CA offers SYSVIEW.

MainView is a BMC product for monitoring. OMEGAMON is monitoring from IBM. Each one of them cover a different set of products.

it_user351537
      Senior Systems Engineer at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
      The reporting facility of the product helps me to identify problematic jobs in the environment. The graphical interface is not 24/7 for us.

Valuable Features

It provides us with reliable scheduling of various business workloads. There are various service-level agreements, such as payroll, that need to be met at a certain period of time and if they're not met, there's going to be trouble. The reporting facility of the product helps me to identify problematic jobs in the environment.

Room for Improvement

The reliability issues need to be resolved. We have some patches that need to be applied and that's our next step to trying to get this thing resolved. In particular, one of the issues is licensing, so that could become a real problem for you if you're in a very large environment. It could get very costly if you want to scale this product out. It will scale, technically, but licensing may prevent that from happening.

I'd also like better reporting and a better UI.

It has issues and is not entirely stable. For example, the graphical interface is not 24/7 for us.

Just 8-10 people are using it as we're not a big shop.

I have some of the other team members handle technical issues as it takes a lot of time to diagnose stuff. If I can't get past an issue, I turn it over to one of the other guys and let them work on it. But, no, I have not dealt with CA in their support infrastructure.

I was not involved in the setup. I'm relatively new with the company, but have a lot of experience with scheduling.

Other Solutions Considered

For the most part it compares similarly to IBM and they each have their pluses and minuses. They both scale out and they're both found in very large environments.

Other Advice

One piece of advice I can give is training. You need to have some sort of a background in this in order to use this product effectively. If you're not trained up, you're not going to be successful with it.

it_user354057
      Mainframe Storage Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      I use it with CA Process Automation to bring over my replication from New Jersey to Texas without ever doing anything manually.

Improvements to My Organization

I have a lot of jobs that run using CA 7. So I work with my production analysts to set up processes that helps me do things that I don't have to do manually.

One of the things I do is that I am in charge of replication. We replicate from Livingston, New Jersey through Fort Worth, Texas, and replication from time to time will drop because people do things that cause links go down. So when they fail, there is a manual way to recover them, but I have to type out all these commands. Because I know what I need to do I put stuff in jobs and using CA Process Automation and CA 7 together to bring over my replication without ever doing anything manually.

Room for Improvement

I've used this product for a long time, but the GUI to me feels outdated. I know how to use it well, but it feels old.

Use of Solution

We've used it for over 20 years.

Deployment is not an issue.

CA 7 is stable all the time.

It's very scalable. There's no problem there.

I haven't had to use technical support.

I wasn't involved in the setup.

Other Advice

I'm sure 90% of the world uses CA 7, so it's a known product.

it_user352992
      Systems Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      The security features are top notch. The job flow, however, could use a little more improvement.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for us is security. We now have extra job types, so instead of three, we have 55. We use the database plugin and, instead of running a job through OCO, we can run it through WCC. The SQL is right there on the spot.

We're able to find jobs and seeing how everything looks. We just upgraded from 4.5 to 11.3. It is a lot more powerful and a lot more secure. The security features are top notch. Anyone within the company could get in and do whatever they wanted if they had access to 4.5, but with 11.3 we can put them in an AD group and then assign security based on the AD group, so it's great.

Improvements to My Organization

We found some things in our system where there were unnecessary delays, so we were able to take those out. It saved our batch and saved us some time running our batch at night.

Room for Improvement

The job flow could use a little more improvement. When we had 4.5, one of the things we were able to where a job was and where the flow was as your batch was running. With 11.3, it's a little more difficult. The jobs are not necessarily in the order that they're running and it's difficult to follow that way.

Also, they could improve the GUI. I would like to see just a better job flow where they could instead of showing jobs in the queue order, showing them in the order that they actually run in so you can follow it top to bottom. This seems to me to be more logical.

We've had no issues with deployment since the complex upgrade.

It's been stable.

It meets our scalability needs.

We have a part-time consultant who used to work for CA and he knows a lot of people, so he's actually pretty good at getting technical support whenever it needs it.

It was pretty complex going from 4.5 to 11.3.6. Just the migrating and all the security settings and all the changes in the job types and having to set up the pages on different servers made the upgrade complex.

Other Advice

Although there were some doubts during our upgrade, I think this turned out to be the best product, as long as you're prepared and have your servers ready to go.

it_user351336
      Managing Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
      It provides us with automated management of a high volume of workloads across our enterprise. I think the interface could be unified in a better way.

Valuable Features

I find the UI to be a really nice feature. It's great and pretty user friendly. Also, there are many agent integrations available that support various platforms.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see more agents for integrations with other platforms. Also, I think the interface could be unified in a better way. Additionally, we could benefit for more data analytics.

We've had no issues with deploying it.

It is very stable and we haven't had any problems.

They are enhancing the product for new limits, so we should be able to scale without a problem.

They have great support when we work together.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It's a great benefit that you can install and configure it very quickly.

Other Advice

I would recommend the product, but you have to have a good team to work with it. The solution is good, but you need a prepared team.

it_user351300
      Assistant Vice President at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

Our challenge is having a centralized schedule on a single pain with 180,000 jobs each day. We are looking to move to iDASH with predictive analytics. We don’t have many SLA’s. We're looking to do better with predictive analytics and we want to further integrate.

How has it helped my organization?

We were using a lot of homegrown stuff. This solution provides us with more details on jobs failing. It also gives us restorability. For the last 10 years, it's become more complex, but it's also bridged our platforms and gave us the ability to recover.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see automation pushed even further, giving us greater looks into other systems. I'd like more enhanced process automation and have it manage a few more platforms without relying on another orchestration platform.

We've used it for 10 years.

We've had no issues with deploying it.

It's stable. It’s so busy finding maintenance windows, and we are currently going through exercises.

We can leverage multiple servers with ease.

Technical support is knowledgeable and I don’t have a whole lot of complaints. We don’t get the run around.

We had already had some other CA technologies, so it was a good fit and we knew what we were dealing with.

Initial setup and upgrades were straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Understand your needs, don’t complicate it, and understand what you are looking for. You don’t want to create an automated mess.

it_user350691
      Senior Manager - Application Operations Shared Services - Scheduling & File Transfer with 501-1,000 employees
      We have a robust architecture that runs over 10,000 jobs a day. I'd like to see iDASH integration with monitoring, but I believe that's coming.

Valuable Features

In our current environment, we have a large community of users. So Workload Automation helps us with our complex job scheduling with automating placements.

Improvements to My Organization

I believe it's a mission-critical application that is required within the company because everything requires to be scheduled. Everything needs to move. In today's economy, everything is 365-24/7.

In all aspects of the company, whether you're in the actual trading or in the wholesale or retail space, you're our internal client and we treat you like a customer. Ultimately, we're in operations.

Room for Improvement

It needs more complex scheduling capabilities on the end points. For that to happen, you really need the next version of AutoSys that has the ability to do that. We used it as an opportunity to test out what that next version going to look like, so when we deployed enterprise-wide, we had a little bit of understanding of how it's going to work.

Also, it shouldn't take longer than six months to do a deployment. I heard good things about being portable, meaning CA is able to introduce a lot of agents as packages on top of your existing environment that you're going to add. That's some of the good things that I'm hearing and I'm looking forward to seeing those because our business requirements always expand.

I'd also like to see iDASH integration with monitoring, which I think is up and coming.

Use of Solution

I've used it for almost 3 years.

I've had no issues deploying it.

We've had stability issues, but CA's pretty prompt about fixing things for us. We've had commonly-known bugs that are fixed after an upgrade.

It's been scalable. Architecture-wise, it's pretty robust, and we've been able to work it out with CA. We run over 10,000 jobs a day.

Technical support is relatively on the upper hand of some of the companies that we deal with because we do have dealings with our account management team. When we have a major deployment, the support team is made fully aware of that. If, for example, if we're doing a deployment on the weekend, we have a 1-800 number that we can call. It's been great.

For the original implementation, I wasn't involved, but we are moving to a newer release. We have built an environment where I was involved. Complexity-wise, it's more or less a specific business requirement that we needed.

Other Advice

At this moment, we've been pretty long-term customer with CA. I don't think there's any product out there that we're going to be willing to switch out at the moment, given what their customer base is, what the capabilities of the product and how it fits into our model.

Product Categories
      Workload Automation
      Download our free AutoSys Workload Automation Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.